PDA

View Full Version : The Splitscreen PC Thread

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Yeah so I'm tired of people saying "Console gaming is better because you can play with your buddies on the same couch."

List all the games you know that support Splitscreen -- and if possible -- how many and a link to the mod to do it (if required).

Maybe more companies will include this by default now that Media Center PCs are taking off.

Unreal Tournament 3 (http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612559) -- 4 Players
Left 4 Dead (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113) -- 2 Players (Why?)
Serious Sam -- 2 Players
Need For Speed II -- 2 Players
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit -- 2 Players
Need For Speed: High Stakes -- 2 Players

TheGhost
April 7th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I didn't even know this was offered for PC games. I assume you hook up many 360-type controllers?

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Well a PC is just a dumb box eh? Hook it to your TV and if the game knows to render multiple player objects you just gotta tell it to. Most of these mods abuse console code but still... if the manufacturers know the demographic's there... it's simple for them to just add it in.

We just need more people to play PC games in place of their console games since hell -- it can do exactly the same thing.

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Future Cop LAPD (1998). Remember that guys? Played it on middle school Macs many times. There's a Windows version too.

Also N64 and PS1 emulators support splitscreen and multiple gamepads.

Jean-Luc
April 7th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Future Cop LAPD (1998).

+rep for you sir. One of the best, and most underrated games of the last generation.

legionaire45
April 7th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Lan party.

Billion times better than split screen, especially when you have 20 or so friends slaughtering each other and loving it.

sigh...those were the days...

BobtheGreatII
April 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
It would have been nice if Gears of War and Halo 1-2 had split screen on the PC.

Amit
April 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
It would have been nice if Gears of War and Halo 1-2 had split screen on the PC.

Didn't somebody try to hack splitscreen on the PC but fail miserably?

RobertGraham
April 7th, 2009, 05:34 PM
IMO, that would be horrible for PC. Especially those who don't have a Monitor more then 19"

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Er...

Plug it into an HDTV o.O

Amit
April 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
IMO, that would be horrible for PC. Especially those who don't have a Monitor more then 19"

Most people with computers capable of running UT3 in split-screen will usually have a monitor of 20" or larger to accompany the high resolutions supported by their damn good video card(s).

Just use an HDTV for that kind of thing.

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Or use S-Video to output to a regular TV (it works better than you might expect). I did that once with my laptop at my friend's house and we played N64 using my x360 gamepads haha. The image quality is still OK although it's definitely not as clear as on the laptop's screen or when sent via HDMI to an HDTV.

Phopojijo
April 7th, 2009, 06:30 PM
As for the controllers -- you could have any number of dozens of controllers.

1) Wii remotes
2) Xbox 360 controllers
3) Typical PC Gamepads
4) Keyboards and Mice
5) Arcade-style sticks
6) Joysticks

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Also, the old controllers for PS2, GC, and Xbox 1 can be used on a PC - just buy a USB adapter (very cheap). Note that such adapters usually don't work for non-gamepad controllers (e.g. DDR, guitar hero).

Varmint260
April 7th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Split screen is ridiculously uncommon on PC games, isn't it? I remember the days, playing NFS: High Stakes and NFS: Hot Pursuit with a buddy, pissing off the cops. But besides console emulators, I haven't played many other games that have it. I've always got a supply of USB controllers and joysticks but very few games to play split.

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
+rep for you sir. One of the best, and most underrated games of the last generation.

lol hell yeah FutureCop LAPD is a really good splitscreen game. Windows demo here (http://vintageware.orconhosting.net.nz/future_cop/goodies.html). I have the full game on my netbook.

back in middle school in california I took this computer class (all Macs) and at the end of every big project, during each quarter, the teacher would let us spend the whole class playing the preloaded Mac games. Loved playing FutureCop Precinct Assault versus mode in splitscreen with my classmates. Surprisingly, 2 players can share one keyboard fairly comfortably when in split screen.

Apart from those old NFS titles, anyone know of other split screen racing games? The only one I know of is some Flintstones-esque racing game by Pangea Soft (also from my old Mac computer class back in Cali). Forgot the title...

e: google Pangea, found it, it's called Cro-Mag Rally. Too bad there's no windows version. Macbook Pro owners can grab it though.

I disagree - I have a seven-inch netbook and my friends and I didn't have a problem with split screen on it. Besides, split screen on PC means that you don't need to set up multiple computers for two or more people to join in the fun. I have a friend who complains about how he always has to take turns with his two brothers on his gaming PC (he doesn't have a console) and he commented that it would be good to have split screen so that he could play something with or against his brothers.

LlamaMaster
April 7th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Also, the old controllers for PS2, GC, and Xbox 1 can be used on a PC - just buy a USB adapter (very cheap). Note that such adapters usually don't work for non-gamepad controllers (e.g. DDR, guitar hero).
It is easy unless you have vista 64, then you either have to create a signed driver or disable signed drivers on each startup. Also, the xbox DDR pad does work.

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 07:23 PM
It is easy unless you have vista 64, then you either have to create a signed driver or disable signed drivers on each startup. Also, the xbox DDR pad does work.

thanks for the heads up, my xbox DDR pad didn't work with my adapter, guess it's because all I used was XBCD.

best part of PC split screen is that you can use just about any controller (usb adapter might be required). My Sixaxis and 360 gamepads can be used together for a round of Goldeneye 007.

LlamaMaster
April 7th, 2009, 10:12 PM
XBCD is what I am using, but it will only work for games that already support the controller. Use Xpadder for everything else. I've already been able to browse windows explorer with nothing but my DDR pad. Pointless? Yes. Awesome? No. Worthless? Most definitely!

Mr Buckshot
April 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/165/165156p1.html

Serious Sam has split screen on PC :O

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 8th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Kayne and Lynch: Dead Men has splitscreen

Amit
April 8th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Return of the King may not be splitscreen but it has two player Co-op, just like the consoles.

LinkandKvel
April 8th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Yeah so I'm tired of people saying "Console gaming is better because you can play with your buddies on the same couch."

List all the games you know that support Splitscreen -- and if possible -- how many and a link to the mod to do it (if required).

Maybe more companies will include this by default now that Media Center PCs are taking off.

Unreal Tournament 3 (http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=612559) -- 4 Players
Left 4 Dead (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=745113) -- 2 Players (Why?)
Serious Sam -- 2 Players
Need For Speed II -- 2 Players
Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit -- 2 Players
Need For Speed: High Stakes -- 2 Players
Yeah so im tired of people saying PC games are better than consoles. Not saying you said that but im just full of this war that I know will never stop. Console gamers need 2 stfu and pc gamers need to stfu about the latter. Nothings gonna change. With that said I'd like to conclude I didnt know splitscreen existed for PC games. Interesting to note, i'll look into this later.

Mr Buckshot
April 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Consoles and PCs have their places in the gaming world. Consoles are aimed at those who don't want to shell out over 500 bucks for a high-end PC or at tech-illiterate parents looking to buy their kid's first game system. It's still a fact that to get a game like say, Left 4 dead or COD4 running at the X360's standard of performance and graphics setting, you have to spend more than the price of a PS3 to build a capable computer, assuming you buy brand new parts that is. And many tech illierate adults don't know about computer specs and stuff and so to be safe they go with the console when shopping for their kids.

Split screen gaming on computers is mostly on 1990's PC games afaik.

By the way, those who have not played Future Cop, download the demo at http://vintageware.orconhosting.net.nz/future_cop/goodies.html - the split screen mode, whether coop or versus, is epic win.

Phopojijo
April 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Consoles and PCs have their places in the gaming world. Consoles are aimed at those who don't want to shell out over 500 bucks for a high-end PC or at tech-illiterate parents looking to buy their kid's first game system. It's still a fact that to get a game like say, Left 4 dead or COD4 running at the X360's standard of performance and graphics setting, you have to spend more than the price of a PS3 to build a capable computer, assuming you buy brand new parts that is. And many tech illierate adults don't know about computer specs and stuff and so to be safe they go with the console when shopping for their kids.

Split screen gaming on computers is mostly on 1990's PC games afaik.

By the way, those who have not played Future Cop, download the demo at http://vintageware.orconhosting.net.nz/future_cop/goodies.html - the split screen mode, whether coop or versus, is epic win.Uh... no...

The PC's cheaper because you probably already have one. The upgrade is ~170$...

Annnnnnnd you probably paid over 500$ on a console anyway...

Hell -- you probably paid over 500$ for each console you own... which is, for many people, more than one.

And if people settled on a unified platform... no more ludicrous "I'm buying an Xbox but I wanna play Ratchet and Clank :(" bullcrap. Can't settle on a proprietary platform... so you gotta settle on an open one.

PC

flibitijibibo
April 8th, 2009, 08:13 PM
That's assuming you already had a decent machine. Most people who switch to gaming are forced to get an entirely new machine (around $1000) because getting a new GTX280 isn't any good on a single core Pentium 4.

Edit, should have finished the thought: After you get the good machine though, it is relatively cheap to upgrade single parts. If anything becomes the platform, I really hope it's PC. At least that way we can stop waiting for shitty ports.

Mr Buckshot
April 8th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Uh... no...

The PC's cheaper because you probably already have one. The upgrade is ~170$...

Annnnnnnd you probably paid over 500$ on a console anyway...

Hell -- you probably paid over 500$ for each console you own... which is, for many people, more than one.

And if people settled on a unified platform... no more ludicrous "I'm buying an Xbox but I wanna play Ratchet and Clank :(" bullcrap. Can't settle on a proprietary platform... so you gotta settle on an open one.

PC

Um, paid $300 for previous 360, $200 for current one (Arcade with old HDD as previous RRODed), $500 for PS3 (waited for price cut), and way back in the states, $200 for xbox 1. Don't see where this over $500 per console comes from.

Even if you already have a PC, chances are it's just not worth upgrading (e.g. low-performance slimline style) or it's some low end laptop...hence the need to build a whole new one from scratch. I myself had to get a whole new desktop from scratch four years ago because until then I was using some really horrible laptop.

but yeah I totally agree with you on the unified platform thing. That would be great. MGS4 and Halo 3 running on the same platform = win.

Speaking of split screen co-op, I think at one point someone managed to get an Xbox emulator running Halo NTSC (poorly) on the PC...that's one way to get split screen coop Halo on the PC.

RobertGraham
April 8th, 2009, 08:41 PM
All Xbox 360 games. Just get a plugin for the monitor.

Mr Buckshot
April 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
http://pcsplitscreen.freehostia.com/

Did a google search, found a big list of split screen games.

Amit
April 8th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Whoa, COD4 Splitscreen: http://pcsplitscreen.freehostia.com/Cod%20Split%20screen.htm

I wonder if it works with World at War. wait lol it says that it does. It doesn't work with games that don't allow multiple instances of the game, however.

Mr Buckshot
April 8th, 2009, 09:52 PM
That splitscreen PC games website also shows games that aren't really splitscreen, they just have multiple players sharing one screen (such games are probably beat-em-up types).

as for the split screen COD4, I just found out how it works, it's just the game allows 2 instances to run at once so COD4 is loaded twice in separate windows.

Amit
April 8th, 2009, 11:11 PM
That splitscreen PC games website also shows games that aren't really splitscreen, they just have multiple players sharing one screen (such games are probably beat-em-up types).

as for the split screen COD4, I just found out how it works, it's just the game allows 2 instances to run at once so COD4 is loaded twice in separate windows.

Better than nothing. 1vs1 Screenlooking ftw!

Phopojijo
May 1st, 2009, 02:04 PM
It is easy unless you have vista 64, then you either have to create a signed driver or disable signed drivers on each startup. Also, the xbox DDR pad does work.Sorry for the bump but I just re-read this:

To permanently (basically) ignore driver signing... open Windows Task Scheduler...

-On system startup
-Run as administrator
-Start a program

C:\Windows\System32\bcdedit.exe-Add arguments

-set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKSNote -- unless you run this task after you create it -- the first time you will need to reboot twice.

The value is set on system boot... the value only takes effect for the NEXT system boot... but after this point you don't ever need to do it.

However... you WILL also be ripping the guard off the kernel's door... so you lose some of the 64-bit enhanced security. ... I mean that was your goal... but still you need to remember that.

Bodzilla
May 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM
i love split screen PC games, but dam it's been soooooo long.

used to play Xmen Vs StreetFighter! on 1 keyboard and 1 screen.
Best times ever.

Mr Buckshot
May 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Ah, just got Future Cop LAPD running today on a school computer...played precinct assault versus mode split screen with my friend throughout lunchtime until the librarian caught us :/ this game is 11 years old, but it rocks. Used to rush through all my assignments in Computer I class back in middle school so that I could get the privilege to load up Futurecop and start blasting away. I got a B+ in the class thanks to half-assed work (not that I learned anything, really) but it was worth it. http://legacy.macnn.com/thereview/reviews/futurecop/split.jpg

Jean-Luc
May 1st, 2009, 10:24 PM
So many wonderful memories. I love FutureCop :D

If they remade it with HD graphics? ._.

Mr Buckshot
May 1st, 2009, 10:33 PM
Just came across this: http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/gba/nocashgba.html Split screen GBA emulator, awesome. I only knew about it for PS1/N64 emulators at first. Also, I believe there are a few old fighting games out there for PC that support multiple players sharing the same screen (though gamepads are recommended, as sharing a keyboard can be a bit uncomfortable during hardcore sessions).