PDA

View Full Version : I'm starting my own server

Needles
April 12th, 2009, 08:28 PM
For halo and halo: custom edition. The leader of E4 clan quit and I was made new leader, and the clan is almost dead. I need a sever for popularity and recruiting.

I'm thinking of two options- 24/7 sever on snowgrove zombies, 24/7 CTf on snowgrove, 24/7 ctf on bloodgulch, 24/7 mixed slayer/ctf on bloodgulch. Which would be most popular?

Also, I'd like to know ways to minimize lag on my sever.

Rentafence
April 12th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I suggest something that doesn't include 24/7 of the same map. Try some older maps, mix it up and make your server more appealing over the other 15 24/7 bloodgulch/snowgrove servers.

Kalub
April 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Ugh, bajeebus...

Run the stuff from CE's primetime. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then, get out.

Syuusuke
April 12th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Problem is, not a lot of people play those =/

But if you want it to be within clanmates, then you should encourage some custom variety.

Kalub
April 12th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Ugggggh.

What has the world come to.

Inferno
April 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Immure - snipers (NOT FUCKING NOOB ASS BLOOD SNIPERS WITH VEHICLES)
Corrupted - slayer
No remorse - team slayer

Good maps.

Rentafence
April 12th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Problem is, not a lot of people play those =/

So he can start the trend.

Needles
April 12th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Ugh, bajeebus...

Run the stuff from CE's primetime. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then, get out.

I actually love the older maps from 2004, my favorites are blood island and this one called gallows pole. But those aren't popular.

Needles
April 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Immure - snipers (NOT FUCKING NOOB ASS BLOOD SNIPERS WITH VEHICLES)
Corrupted - slayer
No remorse - team slayer

Good maps.

I haven't played corrupted, but no remorse and immure are very good. I just need to know how to get those populated. I need a lot of players, so I can also try to get a lot of recruits.
Can't have it within clan mates. I wasn't very active in the clan, I come back to find I'm 2-3 months overdue as new leader, and almost everyone has left or just isn't active.

Cortexian
April 12th, 2009, 10:29 PM
You guys need to stop saying "No! Make it run good maps like No_Remorse, Mystic, ect..." because I had my server running a mapcycle of almost all the really good older maps (No Remorse, Cliffhanger, Nightcamp CE, Immure2, Mystic, WartornCov3, ect...) and the server had a maximum of 5 players in it at once. Unfortunately no matter what server is running what maps, the majority of the CE community is playing pirated v1.00 or Bloodgulch 24/7 on v1.08 and they aren't willing (see: too retarded) to download good maps.

p0lar_bear
April 12th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Run a stock mapcycle, and maybe schedule custom nights every Friday or something.

For the love of god, no more 24/7 Snow Grove or Blood Gulch.

And if you dare put shieldless sniper slayer on your server I will be compelled to find out how to haloboom 1.08 and nuke your server constantly. Anyone who thinks that shit is "Pro" or fun needs to wake the fuck up.

Str1d3r_V_C0r3
April 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Vertigo City - team slayer

Kalub
April 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
... Serious right now?

Str1d3r_V_C0r3
April 13th, 2009, 12:28 AM
When I release version 2 of it, yeah. I'm also making a vertigo city for H2V.

Cortexian
April 13th, 2009, 02:20 AM
And if you dare put shieldless sniper slayer on your server I will be compelled to find out how to haloboom 1.08 and nuke your server constantly. Anyone who thinks that shit is "Pro" or fun needs to wake the fuck up.
Shieldless snipers is fun because it's fast paced and requires no skill...

.Wolf™
April 13th, 2009, 07:10 AM
If you act nice to the others players in the game and dont turn out to be a clan full of shitheads then i guess the clan will get popular aswell as the server.

Chainsy
April 13th, 2009, 07:18 AM
The only servers I ever see full that are actual clan servers is the coldsnap clans, CE and the other one and I am banned from both because I trolled the server for half an hour spewing racial jokes until an admin was called in then blamed it on someone else and got them perma-banned, got away with it 5 times is the sad part.

StankBacon
April 13th, 2009, 08:06 AM
rofl.

RhoMbie
April 13th, 2009, 08:54 AM
do coldsnap 24/7
its super!fun!!!1

Syuusuke
April 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Just add halomaps.org so people know where to get custom maps...

Str1d3r_V_C0r3
April 13th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Vertigo City.

Needles
April 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
One last thing...I tried to test out the dedi and I cannot join my own sever. Went to halomaps.org, since I cannot remember how to fix that. Forwarding ports did nothing, and the cmd has no -port command to change the sever port. What do i do?

My other pc is super slow and crappy, it would have trouble just running the thing normally. It crashes the thing a lot, gets frozen, and lags people too. So another PC isn't an option.

Cortexian
April 13th, 2009, 09:28 PM
One last thing...I tried to test out the dedi and I cannot join my own sever. Went to halomaps.org, since I cannot remember how to fix that. Forwarding ports did nothing, and the cmd has no -port command to change the sever port. What do i do?

My other pc is super slow and crappy, it would have trouble just running the thing normally. It crashes the thing a lot, gets frozen, and lags people too. So another PC isn't an option.
Change your in game network settings to ports 2303/2304 instead of 2303/2303.

sdavis117
April 13th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Run a rotation with both popular maps and GOOD maps. When the popular maps are playing, have a series of automated messages telling them how to get the good maps. Maybe then we can get some more Halo players playing stuff like No_Remorse and Mombassa_Classic (and other gems which I'm drawing blanks for the names of.

Heathen
April 13th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Um, I thought it was an accident at first...but...your trying to open your own Sever?

UnevenElefant5
April 13th, 2009, 10:11 PM
I thought I was the only one who noticed that.

Cortexian
April 13th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I can't believe how many people think that the "**SERVER**" is actually a guy named "**SEVER**". All the noobs in my server always talk to this "Sever" guy, I don't think they can read good.

Sever
April 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Um, I thought it was an accident at first...but...your trying to open your own Sever?OPEN ME!

Needles
April 14th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I'm now going too see if the sever lags at a max of 12 people.

So far I'm thinking of a rotation of bloodgulch (CTF), damnation (King), Bloodgulch (no shields snipers CTF :D, or slayer?), and chillout (shotguns, team slayer).

I may try to make a 2nd sever with mystic, grove_final, mobassa classic,and no remorse, since those are the most popular of the older maps I see (and they still have barely any people playing =/). If it does get a bit populated, I'll add gallows pole and blood islands, which are my favorites.