PDA

View Full Version : Compiz for Vista and 7

Heathen
April 13th, 2009, 12:14 AM
No, I am not here to link you to the grand thing that would be the title. I am here to see if anyone has heard of a project similar or even some buggy port of it.

Vista and 7 have the 3d thing going for it so its technically possible correct?

If you have any info I would love to hear it.

legionaire45
April 13th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I remember there was something similar to it but I'm blanking on the name of it.

I remember it was kind of buggy and would reset the location of icons every time it flipped to a new face of the cube :/.

If I can remember the name I'll post it.

Dr Nick
April 13th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Wish there was something like this. I'd stick it on my laptop.

StankBacon
April 13th, 2009, 06:36 AM
http://www.otakusoftware.com/deskspace/
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yod%27m_3D)

Heathen
April 13th, 2009, 11:40 AM
But isn't compiz responsible for the effects on Ubuntu also? Not just the cube thingy.
It seems like thats all people relate to it but in truth, I used this the least. I used alot of the other multidesktop managers besides the cube that came with Compiz.

Dr Nick
April 13th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Damn, Bacon. You're like a library of awesome!

Heathen
April 13th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Well I knew about deskspace >.>

I honestly don't even like the cube thing.
I more like the expose things and the other window/desktop swapping effects.

Phopojijo
April 13th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Compiz-Fusion is a lot of effects... they kinda merged with Beryll or something like that.

There's a lot of packages going on in Linux... KDE or Gnome -- various enhancements, etc.

Heathen
April 13th, 2009, 03:43 PM
So technically its Beryll for windows I am sort of asking about eh?

Any such project?

Warsaw
April 13th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Beryll/Emerald/Compiz = Compiz Fusion, pretty much, though Emerald is less fused and is actually like a sub-program of Compiz-Fusion, where as Beryll is completely integrated.

legionaire45
April 13th, 2009, 08:09 PM
To be honest, something I found a lot more effective for app launching was Launchy (http://www.launchy.net/). I find that I hardly have to touch the desktop because of that app.

If you want eye candy, then I can't really help with that - there was a thread here a while ago on sprucing up XP, maybe there's some stuff in there?

AAA
April 13th, 2009, 08:27 PM
While this thread is up...

Tried Yod'm and it's just not the same as the original by compiz.

I wish there was a similiar task capable of the doing to same effects for windows as compiz does for Linux. D=

If anyone knows of any that are more similiar to the functions of compiz, I'll give +rep 10 times.

Heathen
April 13th, 2009, 08:50 PM
okay you guys had me second guessing myself. Its Beryl.

To be honest, something I found a lot more effective for app launching was Launchy (http://www.launchy.net/). I find that I hardly have to touch the desktop because of that app.

If you want eye candy, then I can't really help with that - there was a thread here a while ago on sprucing up XP, maybe there's some stuff in there?

Yes, I made that thread >.>

Beryll/Emerald/Compiz = Compiz Fusion, pretty much, though Emerald is less fused and is actually like a sub-program of Compiz-Fusion, where as Beryll is completely integrated.
What does that have to do with my question?

I think you two lost track of the original question...

Warsaw
April 14th, 2009, 09:40 PM
I was just clarifying something someone said earlier. Don't kill me...:gonk:.

Heathen
April 16th, 2009, 07:22 PM
I was just clarifying something someone said earlier. Don't kill me...:gonk:.
Sorry, I figured this didnt exist anyways, just wondering.

If someone could explain why (if at all) it is impossible...

klange
April 19th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Being a Compiz developer, I believe I can be of some assistance...

1. It's "Beryl" - one 'l', like the emerald.
2. Beryl was a fork of Compiz that eventually re-merged to form Compiz-Fusion.
3. Compiz-Fusion as a name is being dropped as everything gets put back into one "Compiz".
4. We dropped support for Emerald in the hopes that a newer project would replace it, but said newer project hasn't seen any updates for quite some time. Beryl did not fully integrate Emerald, they just went together.
5. Compiz has been re-written in C++ with significantly less attachment to the X Window System. Simply put: We could, potentially, port it to Windows and DirectX given the right interfaces. Don't get your hopes up too much, there's still a lot of work that would need to be done.

Heathen
April 19th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Being a Compiz developer, I believe I can be of some assistance...

1. It's "Beryl" - one 'l', like the emerald.
2. Beryl was a fork of Compiz that eventually re-merged to form Compiz-Fusion.
3. Compiz-Fusion as a name is being dropped as everything gets put back into one "Compiz".
4. We dropped support for Emerald in the hopes that a newer project would replace it, but said newer project hasn't seen any updates for quite some time. Beryl did not fully integrate Emerald, they just went together.
5. Compiz has been re-written in C++ with significantly less attachment to the X Window System. Simply put: We could, potentially, port it to Windows and DirectX given the right interfaces. Don't get your hopes up too much, there's still a lot of work that would need to be done.
sweet