PDA

View Full Version : Zune HD

BobtheGreatII
April 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
http://assets.gearlive.com/blogimages/zune-hd-rumor.jpg

Zunited:

Zune HD Technical Specifications

Our good friend Ryan Rea (http://www.twitter.com/volvoshine), Neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/15/exclusive-lets-talk-some-zune-hd-specs), and Zunited (http://www.zunited.net/) are now ready to publicly release the Technical Specifications for the Zune HD. Ever since the teaser release of the ZuneHD's images, there has been a continuous leak of new images and information about this device. It show the power of the people. First seen at neowin.net (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/15/exclusive-lets-talk-some-zune-hd-specs) the technical specifications are subject to change. Zunited can comfortably confirm most of the specifications listed below. We do question whether or not the may change by the actual release:

3.6 inchish OLED full touch screen.
NVIDIA Tegra powered (http://liveside.net/main/archive/2009/04/12/what-in-the-world-is-tegra.aspx).
HDMI Connection to stream straight to your TV.
HD Radio.
Web Browser.
Wifi compatible, with wireless marketplace.
Released, early fall.
International release of the Zune device itself.
Home AV packs, Car packs, Charge packs.

These are no doubt impressive specifications! Whether or not there will actually be 5 models of the same device, Zunited remains highly skeptical. HD Radio is an excellent innovation and ties well with the name of the device. Also, international release is something we have been hoping for for a long time. There will no doubt be new packs and accessories to accompany the device as well.
I hope the public is as impressed with these specs as I am, now we anxiously await the direction of the advertising for this device. Will it continue to be pushed as a music device, or will a focus on games take presidence? Stay tuned.I could care less about anyone elses opinion. But I'm very excited about it. Clearly some ideas taken from the iPhone. But definitely a lot of unique ideas. I'm personally very excited about the HDMI output on it. Hopefully we'll start seeing more details pop up soon. What does everyone else feel?

Timo
April 15th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Maybe - since I heard Zunes are going international later on this year, and if they don't break the bank (relative to how much iPods break them).

itszutak
April 15th, 2009, 10:56 PM
OLEDS. Can't wait to look at one of these, probably won't be getting one.

Mr Buckshot
April 16th, 2009, 01:16 AM
If you're willing to skip on wifi and HDMI output, Cowon and Creative have some great widescreen players that are cheaper, more user-friendly (not so much format conversion for videos), and basically better value for the money. The Cowon S9 is an example.

Cortexian
April 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I'll stick with my Blackberry Storm, does more, and it does it awesome.

thehoodedsmack
April 16th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Ooh. Neat. Not sure how much I'll like the touchscreen bit, but I'll definately give this a look when it releases.

Dr Nick
April 16th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Why the hell would I need HD video playback on a 3.6" screen? My PSP was perfect for the job, fit in my pocket and played my videos.

beele
April 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Very nice, but I'll stick with my ipod/iphone :)

Syuusuke
April 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Oh hell yea.

Pyong Kawaguchi
April 16th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Not gonna get one, I can't be bothered.

Jean-Luc
April 16th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Why the hell would I need HD video playback on a 3.6" screen? My PSP was perfect for the job, fit in my pocket and played my videos.
I'm fairly sure the HD feature of this player is going to be used mainly for the HDMI output on the device, potentially allowing users to display Blu-Ray quality content without a Blu-ray player.

I can't say I quite understand the need for 720p myself (other than HD being the new craze), as when it comes to the conventions of a 3.6" screen, as you said, having a 720p video displayed on it is essentially getting marginally higher quality video that takes up at least....5-6x the HDD space.

I'm fine with my Zune 30GB for now, but I'll keep an eye on this.

LlamaMaster
April 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
HD doesn't always mean high-res. 480p is still considered HD

Edit: Thanks, I knew that was wrong.

Jean-Luc
April 16th, 2009, 12:29 PM
HD doesn't always mean high-res. 480p is still considered HD

ftfy

BobtheGreatII
April 16th, 2009, 01:12 PM
If you're willing to skip on wifi and HDMI output, Cowon and Creative have some great widescreen players that are cheaper, more user-friendly (not so much format conversion for videos), and basically better value for the money. The Cowon S9 is an example.

But... That post doesn't even make sense. If I wanted something without those features, I would look elsewhere... Of course they're cheeper. They have less stuff.

Your post really doesn't make all that much sense. Just made me say 'Duh'.

I still have my Zune 30 gig. It died once, but that was my fault. Shocked it to death. But it was still under warranty. I think the touch screen will be nice. But yeah, I won't lie, I don't like the idea of only being able to control it by touch. But again, none of this stuff is super final. I'm amazed there aren't a lot more Apple peeps in here throwing a fit. Looking around, and it seems like on google the Apple forums are buzzing with the news. Clearly attacking Microsoft for copying the iPhone/iPod Touch. Which I really don't think is the case. I hate Apple. I won't lie to you. But I think the Zune has always been more user friendly. Between software updates, and firmware updates. The fact that the first generation Zune has the same firmware as the third generation Zune. You can't say the same for the iPod, that's for sure. I think the Zune Team has always listened to the customers, and tried to provide. The only thing that drives me nuts, is the lack of multimedia support. Eg. AVI's and so on.

Just as a fair warning. I will lock this at the first sign of bashing and hating against the two sides. Posts should be constructive.

Keep it clean. :cop:

Mr Buckshot
April 16th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah I don't like Apple either, I'll give them the credit for having a good sense of aesthetic design in their products (the iTouch is undeniably good-looking), and for being mostly user-friendly, but when it comes to features-for-the-money, Apple tends to fall short. This is also true of their computers, where Macbooks can cost 1.5x or even twice as much as Windows laptops with the same specs.

If the Zune HD can undercut the price of the Archos 605 (widescreen which has wifi and video output, making it quite competitive) then I might consider the Zune HD for a future purchase in a few years' time. The screen is currently what I like best about the Zune HD.

Boba
April 16th, 2009, 06:38 PM
fuck yeah

i love zunes

Snowy
April 16th, 2009, 07:07 PM
If it doesn't cost an arm and a leg I'll get it. I doubt it though.

ThePlague
April 16th, 2009, 07:20 PM
It's a good idea, but i'm not getting it. PSP/Old school iPod ftw.

Lateksi
April 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll be getting one if I can afford it.

...WTF IS HD RADIO?

Jean-Luc
April 17th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll be getting one if I can afford it.

...WTF IS HD RADIO?

HD radio is pretty much what you'd find listening to Sirius or XM radio, in that it's an extremely high quality signal, and the music/talk broadcast on it is generally of quality rivaling cd's.

Lateksi
April 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Heh, I thought it was just a normal radio with some fake fake X-Fi thing "only on Zune!" but the HD radio actually sounds cool. I listen to music all the time and if a radio signal can be clearer than my mp3s, guess I'll listen radio more often then.
If a device has HD on its name and it is described as a portable multimedia player, I really hope I don't have to go through all the video compression shit. Like, if a player only supports a few file formats, it loses a lot of it's 'portability'.

I currently use Creative Zen, 8GB.

Huero
April 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
HD Radio also offers more stations.

Cojafoji
April 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
I would get one if I didn't have an ipod touch. Shame on Microsoft for not making this nice of a product earlier...

*edit: In no way am I saying that I am an Apple fanboy or Microsoft fanboy.

Needles
April 17th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Just wondering, does internet access cost anything on the zune or Itouch?

sdavis117
April 17th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Just wondering, does internet access cost anything on the zune or Itouch?

As long as you have a Wireless Router and an ISP, it costs nothing extra.

Needles
April 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
As long as you have a Wireless Router and an ISP, it costs nothing extra.

How far away would it work then? I was hoping I could use it on the school bus and long trips. Can it pick up other unsecured networks?

BobtheGreatII
April 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
How far away would it work then? I was hoping I could use it on the school bus and long trips. Can it pick up other unsecured networks?

It goes as far as the router you're connected to goes. So no... I don't think you would be able to use the web browser on either on long bus trips. And yes, as long as the router isn't secured you can connect to it.

Warsaw
April 18th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Well, that blasts the rumour saying that the Zune HD would be capable of playing ported XBOX Original games...

Mr Buckshot
April 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Well, that blasts the rumour saying that the Zune HD would be capable of playing ported XBOX Original games...

haha never heard that rumour before, thanks.

lol, a touch screen alone is totally inadequate for playing most of the types of games that are seen on xbox (talking about gameplay here not graphics). I tried out Brothers in Arms on my friend's iPhone, and it used a virtual analog stick and stuff to control the action, and suffice to say it controlled very poorly. The fact is, a touch screen just cannot provide the same experience as hard buttons. So even if the Zune somehow managed to cram high-end computing parts inside its case, the games would run but would definitely not be any fun to play.

That doesn't mean you can't have fun and addicting games on the Zune HD though. The extra touchscreen-only minigames in mario DS are still very entertaining

I'm wondering how long it takes before some cool dude makes something like this for the Zune:

http://www.gadgetreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/icontrol-pad-large.png

BobtheGreatII
April 18th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Lol... I think it's funny that the focus is on games... Why would an MP3 player's top focus be gaming? That's silly guys.

Phopojijo
April 19th, 2009, 01:36 AM
It's a shame but not getting one.

If this came out BEFORE I bought my iPod Touch, then yes I would have definitely bought this instead.

Xetsuei
April 19th, 2009, 02:06 AM
Haven't bought an iPod Touch yet, so I'm going to get this.

Lateksi
April 19th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Actually, games like Super Monkey Ball are very fun on the iPhone but I gotta agree with you guys that fps games are just shit on it.

Snowy
April 19th, 2009, 04:37 PM
I just can't wait to browse the internet with a cutdown portable internet explorer on my zune! :D

BobtheGreatII
April 19th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I just can't wait to browse the internet with a cutdown portable internet explorer on my zune! :D

Who said it was going to be IE? I mean, we won't get firefox. But I wouldn't be so sure Internet Explorer will be the web browser.

Syuusuke
April 19th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Who said it won't be =P

But (I'm not sure on this) whatever those Windows Mobile Phones are using, chances are the ZuneHD may have a newer version of that.

Atty
April 19th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I'll stick with my Blackberry Storm, does more, and it does it awesome.Same. The only thing I need an MP3 player for anymore is to work out in, too many times has my iPod Classic fallen out of the case while training for me to risk doing the same with my Storm. No need for two devices that do the same thing.

Needles
April 21st, 2009, 08:10 PM
What would be a good estimate of the price? I know zunes are just slightly cheaper than Ipod's, so would it be around $170-$200?

Syuusuke
April 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
OLEDs are fairly new...so you could expect a higher price because of that...then again it may not be...

I'd say $249...

Warsaw
April 21st, 2009, 08:27 PM
I thought iPod Nanos had OLED screens...

4RT1LL3RY
April 21st, 2009, 08:38 PM
It looks very nice, but I'll stick with Sansa. They support my favorite formats for my music, ogg vorbis and flac, and have a good sound-chip. Big screens are over-rated, I much prefer ridiculous battery life. It also has good SD card support, direct integration into library.

Syuusuke
April 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
I thought iPod Nanos had OLED screens...

I googled each term and got nothing like that.

Warsaw
April 22nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
Meh, it's a minor detail, I just coulda sworn that iPods had OLEDs alerady.

Snowy
April 22nd, 2009, 07:52 PM
Nintendo DS's have OLEDs.

Syuusuke
April 22nd, 2009, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty sure they have backlights...which means its not an OLED...

Not sure though.

Are you talking about the touchscreen part of it? If you are, then I don't know what they're made of.

Nick
April 22nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
Nintendo DS's have OLEDs.
OLED displays are prohibitively expensive. An 11" OLED TV is around $2,500. While smaller OLED screens are cheaper, you're not going to find two of them in a Nintendo DS and I highly doubt you will find one in the Zune HD either. OLEDs are still in their infancy and will take a few more years to really reach mainstream in any significant way.

You are probably thinking of LCDs with LED backlighting. That is not the same as OLED.

Nick

Warsaw
April 22nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I know the difference, I just thought I read somewhere that iPod Nano's (Gen 2 and 3) had OLED screens. Meh, I'm probably wrong, Apple just made a very very good backlight.

Syuusuke
April 22nd, 2009, 10:04 PM
I highly doubt you will find one in the Zune HD either.

That would be unfortunate if the Zune decided to pull out the OLEDs, they were kinda the main feature of the Zune...but I don't think it would hurt, except its thickness

BobtheGreatII
April 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM
That would be unfortunate if the Zune decided to pull out the OLEDs, they were kinda the main feature of the Zune...but I don't think it would hurt, except its thickness

How is that it's main feature? Just wondering...

BobtheGreatII
May 14th, 2009, 12:45 AM
So, I hate to bump this... but I feel the need to rant... so stay with me here.

So tonight I'm looking for possible updates on the rumored Zune update coming out tomorrow (May 14th), and although I'm looking for news on that, I'm stumbling upon Apple fanboy websites, one over another. The major buzz is how much Microsoft is trying to crush the iPod, and copy everything they do, because Apple is god and we are zealots. Now if I haven't come off as such as of yet, I'll go ahead and tell you. I love PC's, and I love Microsoft. Now again, back to the subject of Apple fanboys... I find it crazy how insane they truley are (excuse me if you like Apple, but I don't believe this applies to you), One example of an apple website would be:

The product concept is so deep in vaporware territory that Microsoft hasn't even publicly acknowledged any real plans to clone the iPod touch yet. The marketing graphics (http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/10/is-this-the-zune-hd/) below, initially published by Engadget, referred to as a "draft" artist's conception, suggest the same minimalist, single home button as the iPod touch along with a wide screen that is smaller than the iPod touch but housed in a significantly thicker overall box.
This would make the rumored Zune HD device a fitting tribute to the original Zune, which targeted the popularity of the original iPod with a lower-density screen but thicker box a year after the video playing, fifth generation iPod shipped, only to be blindsided by Apple's move to flash RAM-based video players with the iPod nano and shuffle.
The second generation Zunes caught up with a flash-based player just in time to be trampled by the stampede of interest in 2007's video playing iPod nano and the web browsing iPod touch. Microsoft had been able to clone the iPod classic and nano fairly easily, as both used largely off the shelf components and simple software; reviewers reported that the Zune was nearly identical internally to the iPod nano. Copying the iPod touch would take significantly more work, however.

Copying and cloning and catching up, that's all I see in there. Yes, Microsoft is trying to make an MP3 player that matches the iPod's popularity. But copying? No, I don't think so. Zune, of course, in my opinion, has always loved it's users. We have gotten nothing but free update after free update, we have asked, and we have recieved. Zune has always listened to it's social. Hell, Zunited (a website hosted by some people) has gotten several members off the Zune team to actually talk to them through their podcasts.

I worry that in this day and age... people are going to begin buying products that they believe they need to have because everyone else does. And sadly, you can only go down hill from there... The mass amount of iPod's popularity is because people who tend to not look at the actual facts and buy the product their friend has is increasing.

It's funny, in a way it's kind of nice to be a minority, it's like owning a car that isn't the best, but it's your car. You can tweek it, you can put love in to it, and you can make it an extension of yourself. A PC lets you do this, you're free to do whatever you want with your personal computer... and that's great for us. Just sometimes, I wish people would open their eyes to see both sides.

Other random things that make me want to punch a baby:

I don't think it really matters if it's actually 1280x720 resolution, just slap HD on something and people will buy it. Not us, of course, but Joe Schmo probably just thinks HD is wider and clearer, so that's who's gonna buy this.

It's not just Microsoft either, companies putting "HD" on something when it obviously isn't is just a pet peeve of mine. HD is clearly talking about the HDMI output on the Zune HD, fucktards, get it strait.

Microsoft marketing: Hey guys, let's take a buzzword from 2 years ago (HD) and slap it onto our already crappy product name (Zune) and we will have a definite hit for sure! Then we will make it look like an iPod touch, use a paint drip ad that mimics the nano ads and make millions! Genius!

I love how it took them nearly two years to catch up. I doubt they're even close to competing though. I do welcome their competition. It only makes Apple work harder at improving. The hell? Again with the HD thing, and copying the nano adds? Really? Zune has always been using that abstract art style, don't know where that comes from. Two years to catch up? When were we behind? Didn't know it was a race... I have never complained about my Zune, never had a problem with it.. figured it was all about creating a product people enjoy, instead of pumping out a product with a minor adjustment every three months so every Apple fanboy feels they need to go buy it.

I also came across another forum, where someone was actually comparing Windows Vista, and the Zune together, and how the Zune is guaranteed to break because of Vista. Seriously, when are these people going to accept the fact that Vista has been manageable for quite a while now. After SP1... I don't recall ever having major issues with Vista. I'm sorry, but unless someone can actually start pointing out specifics on what is wrong with Vista, and what these major problems are without hearing them from a friend or something, their opinion is null and void to me.

Have I not proven my point? Missed something? Let me know...

[\rant]

Edit: Sorry if I seriously rambled in some areas, it's 11:46pm here...

Nick
May 14th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Microsoft was first to:

1. Push out free, major software revisions to previous generation hardware.
2. Integrate WiFi into their hardware to enable sharing, syncing, and shopping.
3. Build in FM reception (great for gyms or just listening to local radio).
4. Make your device customizable (background image, stylized hardware, etc).
5. Offer a subscription music service, which later added the ability to keep 10 songs per month.
6. Allow user created games via XNA Framework.

Yet all they ever do is copy, how strange. People don't understand that to be competitive, you have to catch up to the functionality offered by your competition and desired by your potential users while also offering something new or presenting something expected in a unique way.

Apple users on the internet are generally snobs, thinking that only Apple can think up a new idea or two while maintaining that the company has never taken a feature from anyone else (especially not Microsoft). Not all Apple users are like that, but the vocal minority really paints a tainted image of that brand.

Nick

LlamaMaster
May 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm sorry, but unless someone can actually start pointing out specifics on what is wrong with Vista, and what these major problems are without hearing them from a friend or something, their opinion is null and void to me.
Signed drivers. I can't tell you how much pain vista put me through by taking away my ability to install whatever drivers I needed. My xbox controller and mouse didn't work until I found a work around to disable this annoying "feature." If anybody cares, I put vista into permanent "test mode."

But yeah, I <3 my zune. My only complaint is that the screen is so low res that it is almost impossible to read subtitles on some videos.

Jean-Luc
May 14th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I've had my Zune 30GB for over 2 years now. I've never had a single problem, battery life is fantastic, while several of my friends ipods have crashed and burned.

Zune is the clear winner in my book.

BobtheGreatII
May 14th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Signed drivers. I can't tell you how much pain vista put me through by taking away my ability to install whatever drivers I needed. My xbox controller and mouse didn't work until I found a work around to disable this annoying "feature." If anybody cares, I put vista into permanent "test mode."

But yeah, I <3 my zune. My only complaint is that the screen is so low res that it is almost impossible to read subtitles on some videos.

I have to say... I've never had a driver problem...

Jean-Luc
May 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I did once, but that was an installation error on my part. Other than that, Zune has been failproof for me, even after dropping it umpteen times.

LlamaMaster
May 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
It's only a problem for pre-vista hardware and driver creators who don't pay up for microsoft's "seal of approval." My Habu mouse, Controller S, and webcam just happen to fit those fields.

Spartan094
May 14th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Apple are just money whores. I could get better things (Computer stuff and mp3's too) at half there shitty prices. I had my Zune 20GB for over a year. I dropped it over 100 times in my car, at school, and at home aswell. It still works like a charm and isnt effected what so ever except for a few scratches on the screen but ill get the Zune HD sometime. I need something better then the old bulky 20 GB one. Ill keep the 20 GB for backup.

Newbkilla
May 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
You forget there is going to be a Linux os for the Zune. My brother was going to get it when it came out, but he busted his screen by sitting on it Lol. No, he is not fat at all..

Microsoft = money whores, Apple = like the confederacy, will not succeed, and will get a kick in the ass. If you are going to buy a product from Microsoft, get it on black Friday. it was like $200 Zune or something, and my brother got his for $80.

Spartan094
May 14th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I got my Zune on sale on my birthday....$200 bucks lol.

Bhamid
May 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I wish MS would sell the Zune in Europe...I want one :( btw do zunes work with itunes? I like my podcasts :)

Syuusuke
May 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM
So tonight I'm looking for possible updates on the rumored Zune update coming out tomorrow (May 14th),
Doesn;t seem like there is going to be any

Advancebo
May 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I wish MS would sell the Zune in Europe...I want one :( btw do zunes work with itunes? I like my podcasts :)

What do you mean exactly? Do you want iTunes to load the music in? or to buy the music?

Spartan094
May 14th, 2009, 04:06 PM
He wants the zune to load with ITunes. Which the zune does have a podcast but i never used it. Zune comes with its own software and wont work Itunes I think.

SilentChaos
May 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Definitely going to be getting this when hits the stores. :D

I've had my 30GB Zune for about a year and a half now and I haven't had a single problem with it. Even after I dropped it in a deep puddle of water during a hurricane. Hopefully Microsoft can maintain this durability with the Zune HD.

Bhamid
May 15th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Why are we even talking about this? I thought it was just a rumour and they were never actually going to make it.

TheGhost
May 15th, 2009, 12:00 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/15/zune-hd-positioned-to-take-on-apple-sony-nintendo-and-google/

Sounds kind of cool actually...

Masterz1337
May 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM
But is there an App for that?

Apple's done the iPod Touch and iPhone perfectly, and with the Appstore, I don't see how anyone is ever going to come close to outdoing them, especially with Firmware 3.0 coming out this summer and iPhone 3.

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 01:46 PM
But is there an App for that?

Apple's done the iPod Touch and iPhone perfectly, and with the Appstore, I don't see how anyone is ever going to come close to outdoing them, especially with Firmware 3.0 coming out this summer and iPhone 3.

Why do they have to be trying to out due them? Many companies can be behind... but it's not like they just give up. Screw apple. They can release the iPhone as many times as they want.

Besides... you're comparing a phone to an mp3 player... And you never know... I've seen a crazy increase of Zune's at my school... so you know, if Microsoft was wise (yes yes, I know) they would put a lot of work in to the Zune HD.

Why are we even talking about this? I thought it was just a rumour and they were never actually going to make it.

No dude... it's been confirmed. It's coming in September.

Masterz1337
May 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Well the Ipod touch is an MP3 player that runs on the same OS as the iPhone, the majority of the apps are cross compatible. If your talking about an Mp3 player with a touchscreen that does more than just play MP3s and videos, iPod Touch takes the cake. Plus iPhone 3 = iPod Touch 3 in September.

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Well the Ipod touch is an MP3 player that runs on the same OS as the iPhone, the majority of the apps are cross compatible. If your talking about an Mp3 player with a touchscreen that does more than just play MP3s and videos, iPod Touch takes the cake. Plus iPhone 3 = iPod Touch 3 in September.

Well of course it does... the Zune HD hasn't come out. Your argument means nothing to me because you don't have hard proof yet that the Zune HD is still going to be worse than the iPod Touch. We have nothing to compare the two with except with a few confirmed specs.

Syuusuke
May 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I do hate the fact that they're focusing on games.

Spartan094
May 15th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Whats wrong with them focusing on games? It's not the big of an issue since games are becoming more popular and it passes the time when your in school ;)

Masterz1337
May 15th, 2009, 04:33 PM
TBH, anything but simple games on a touchscreen device end up becoming pretty bad. iPhone/Touch included.

Well of course it does... the Zune HD hasn't come out. Your argument means nothing to me because you don't have hard proof yet that the Zune HD is still going to be worse than the iPod Touch. We have nothing to compare the two with except with a few confirmed specs.
I can still think it though. I don't see how the Zune HD is going to out do Apple's products, unless MS can give the Zune something that will draw developers and customers in, they're just going to stick with and continue to buy Apple.

Mr Buckshot
May 15th, 2009, 04:37 PM
TBH, anything but simple games on a touchscreen device end up becoming pretty bad. iPhone/Touch included.

Yeah, I've tried some accelerometer based racing games on an iPhone and they suck balls. The fact is, hard buttons and a D-pad/analog stick are indispensable for many genres of games. Touchscreens work best for games when used in conjunction with such features, as the Nintendo DS has shown time and again.

I wanna know if the zune HD will play AVI movie files straight away, no conversion needed.

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I wanna know if the zune HD will play AVI movie files straight away, no conversion needed.

It's highly doubtful... But I think that would draw a lot of customers in too. I think that's one of the main things I like about the Archos (my friend has an Archos 7) is that it is capable of playing so many video formats (with buying the extensions of course...).

sdavis117
May 15th, 2009, 05:10 PM
I've had my Zune 30GB for over 2 years now. I've never had a single problem.

You must have not used your Zune on the day that every 30GB Zune IN THE WORLD locked up.

But other then that one issue (which was solved), I have never heard anything bad about Zunes.

Edit: Holy shit, I missed a whole page.

Syuusuke
May 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
How is that it's main feature? Just wondering...

Heh did I say that? I meant it was one of microsofts anticipated component =/

Heh I remembered that lockdown happening... huggles my 8gb

jcap
May 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Can't wait to play Marble Blast Ultra on the Zune :D

It's great that they are bringing the XBLA games to the device. It's a huge library that they should definitely tap in to. They should also tap into their Netflix deal, so people can possibly rent movies through Netflix and play them on their Zune.

BobtheGreatII
May 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM

It's great that they are bringing the XBLA games to the device. It's a huge library that they should definitely tap in to. They should also tap into their Netflix deal, so people can possibly rent movies through Netflix and play them on their Zune.

Now that would be cool.

Atty
May 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM

It's great that they are bringing the XBLA games to the device. It's a huge library that they should definitely tap in to. They should also tap into their Netflix deal, so people can possibly rent movies through Netflix and play them on their Zune.I thought I heard from someone that was already a deal. Buy the movie's off your home network and watch them on your zune.

Still, not interested in this. I'm happy with my iPod classic for my gym use and car audio. My Storm is for everything else.

Syuusuke
May 16th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Zune Marketplace?

BobtheGreatII
May 27th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Prepare for an epic post:

That's it, folks. The ZuneHD (err Zune HD with a space? That's still pretty iffy...) is practically confirmed. Just check out http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm (click on the image to enlarge)

http://www.imagenerd.com/uploads/zunehd-VbNZc.jpg
What does this mean? Well... the ZuneHD is real, and most likely will be announced at E3, since Microsoft has never been known to put up a page that will be announced 4 months in advance. From the image and website we can see that there's a new "More" menu item. Also, the tagline under Videos implies that Marketplace will still only be selling TV Shows.
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090526/Zune_HD_low_rez_610x406.jpg

Design

Overall the design of this device is very sleek, dark with the light accents. The word "Zune" is prominently displayed across the front of the device with a button (most likely a home button) directly below it. The bottom area is either a large button, a button with two pressing areas on either side, a touch pad like surface, or some other form of tactile interface.
User Interface

First and foremost, the User Interface is now revealed. It uses a familiar design however we notice the text is now all capital letters. Also, hovering to the right of the "MUSIC" option is a Play triangle with a circle around it which simply begs to be touched. Do you slide this to use it? Also there is a stream of art on the side, possibly comprised of the albums in your collection. Or possibly your favorite or most played albums?
The Back

Perhaps the most controversy causing item is the back of the device. It is a elegant stell like back plate. Upon a quick glance it appears as if there is a camera in the top corner. Upon closer inspection we clearly see this is NOT a camera and is a screw of some sort? There is one on all visible corners of the sleek metal backing. The bottom section is VERY VERY similar to the iPhone 1st gen back by using a darker color. I am worried of the criticism of this by Apple fans.

Confirmed:

A Web Browser, an HD Radio Receiver (at no additional cost), HD Video Out, and a touchscreen, here are the specs:
Touchscreen
Get quick and instant access to your content with multi-touch navigation. With a 3.3 inch screen and vivid 16:9 OLED display (480x272 resolution), premium entertainment is at your fingertips.*
HD Radio
Tune into all your favorite stations with crystal clear reception. With an integrated HD Radio receiver, you can access a variety of HD Radio stations at no additional cost. Plus, tag the songs you like for later purchase.
HD Video Out
Watch supported 720p HD movies, TV shows and videos in high definition on your HDTV through the Zune HD & AV Dock (sold separately). Or take them with you for premium entertainment on the go. Additional dock and HDTV are required.*
Wireless
Connect, update, and buy content wirelessly from Wi-Fi hot spots. Stream millions of songs over Wi-Fi directly to your Zune HD and turn it into a portable digital jukebox.
Web Browser
Surf the web anytime, anywhere you have a Wi-Fi connection. Enjoy your favorite websites with a full-featured web browser including tap to zoom technology, built-in accelerometer, and touchscreen QWERTY keyboard.

Go.

Timo
May 27th, 2009, 12:51 AM
So hope this will be released in New Zealand with the same functionality that's outlined there.

Masterz1337
May 27th, 2009, 10:45 AM
Even though I live my iPhone, I must admit those things look sexy.

RecycleBin
May 27th, 2009, 10:47 AM
I might get one.

Bhamid
May 27th, 2009, 12:16 PM
So hope this will be released in New Zealand with the same functionality that's outlined there.

Its only going to be released in the US and mebbe Canada for them moment :(
btw were you born in NZ or did you immigrate there?

Jean-Luc
May 27th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Do want.

=sw=warlord
May 27th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Theyl probably sell it in some charity store with top secret US docs.:mech2:

jcap
May 28th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Talk about being badass. It's amazing they're actually listening to their customers and the public's feedback about the Zune.

This is awesome. HD Radio? HD video? Streaming? On-the-go marketplace? Fucking sweet.

Also, very smart idea with the play/pause button next to the menu item. It's good that you don't have to be on the album to pause it.

Warsaw
May 28th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Am want. I think I like this thing more than the iPod touch, it just jives better with me.

BobtheGreatII
May 28th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Ha ha, I'm happy some people think so.

Still a lot of speculation buzzing the Zune forums. I can't wait for E3, I really hope that we'll see some serious updates on it. I just want to see a the UI in use. I really hope it's smooth.

Still excited...

BobtheGreatII
May 28th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Double post of win!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/05/ZuneHD.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/05/ballmer_zune13.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/05/ballmer_zune_main.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/05/ballmer_zune02.jpg

More Pictures:
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/28/exclusive-steve-ballmer-demos-the-zune-hd-for-engadget/

More Pictures and a Video:
http://gizmodo.com/5272228/zune-hd-hands-on-photos-and-video-tour

Before jumping to major conclusions... the UI, as amazing as it is, does have it's flaws, eg 'Marketplace' not fitting all the way. So try not to bash it too much or judge, they know what's wrong, I'm sure it's just a beta UI... although, I wouldn't mind having it now anyway. :rolleyes:

SilentChaos
May 28th, 2009, 05:54 PM
The device looks really nice. The new UI is gonna take some getting used to though.

jcap
May 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I think the UI is a little sloppy. I like it when stuff is cut off, but not even everything is cut off so much that you can't even make out a single letter. The top title text of any sub-menu (like "music") should probably be half of the font size, but still be cut off. I like the Windows XP Media Center UI's text in the upper left.

Jean-Luc
May 28th, 2009, 06:23 PM
I'd bet it's a beta UI, like BobtheGreat said. I mean c'mon, we all know Microsoft doesn't release buggy products with poor optimization that detracts from the user experience.

Hmmm? Oh, sup Halo 2 Vista? Didn't know you were here.

In all seriousness though, the original Zune has a very slick UI, and I highly doubt they would release it as is.

BobtheGreatII
May 28th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think the UI is a little sloppy. I like it when stuff is cut off, but not even everything is cut off so much that you can't even make out a single letter. The top title text of any sub-menu (like "music") should probably be half of the font size, but still be cut off. I like the Windows XP Media Center UI's text in the upper left.

l2readmypost mr. admin. :rolleyes:

But yes, as a fan of the Zune, I'm slightly upset at the sloppiness, even for a beta UI... But there's still multiple months before it's actual release, I expect good things.

jcap
May 28th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Oh yeah, I read it was a beta UI, but I still think it's sloppy. Hopefully they will do something about it. I LOVE the Zune 2/3 UI. Clean, simple, easy.

Heathen
May 28th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I'd bet it's a beta UI, like BobtheGreat said. I mean c'mon, we all know Microsoft doesn't release buggy products with poor optimization that detracts from the user experience.

Hmmm? Oh, sup Halo 2 Vista? Didn't know you were here.

In all seriousness though, the original Zune has a very slick UI, and I highly doubt they would release it as is.
ohai rrod

BobtheGreatII
May 31st, 2009, 09:30 PM
Digging this up because I got a bit of an answer for this:

"Up until now, the portable media player and its online iTunes Store equivalent, Zune Marketplace, have only been available in the US. From early Autumn, however, a revised service, Zune Video, will be available on Xbox Live in the US, UK, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland and Spain (with more countries coming aboard later). Xbox 360 owners in these territories will be able to go online and access video content and play it via their console. A variety of access options will be available, including instant streaming, download to rent and download to own. However, no Zune portable music players will be launched outside of the US - at least not yet. This is about the online service only."

Warsaw
May 31st, 2009, 09:36 PM
And people say Japan has all the goodies...

Syuusuke
May 31st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Am getting.

TomClancy
June 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I don't know of this constitutes as post worthy but interesting speculation:
Zune HD 16/32GB from $249 with 720p
(http://www.slashgear.com/zune-hd-1632gb-from-249-with-720p-movie-downloads-2948154/)

BobtheGreatII
June 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM
Ok... well my theory behind it is this. Rightfully, if you're going to make a portable device that can put out 720p, then you need to have movies to go along with it. These movies need to be bought, or else Microsoft would be promoting piracy... which is bad. So of course, only in common sense, would the HD movies be available over the Zune Marketplace.

TomClancy
June 30th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not too concerned about the HD output, great feature, but one which I won't use. (I lack an HD TV in the first place, and 720p movies are a lot larger in file size then their standard definition counterpart.)

I have a popcornhour for HD movie playback anyhow.

Syuusuke
June 30th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Speculation? I thought they confirmed the price for the 16gb model was starting at 250.

And they said there's going to be a 64gb model too did they?

cheezdue
June 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I'd rather stay with my psp.

BobtheGreatII
July 1st, 2009, 02:21 AM
Speculation? I thought they confirmed the price for the 16gb model was starting at 250.

And they said there's going to be a 64gb model too did they?

No prices have been 100% confirmed. A supposed "source" from Volvoshine said that that was going to be the price.

I'd rather stay with my psp.

Good, now remove thyself from this thread. :mech2:

Warsaw
July 1st, 2009, 09:47 PM
Now, we just need to wait for the model that can output 1080p, and we have pocket HTPCs! Win.

Spartan094
July 3rd, 2009, 11:19 AM
Now, we just need to wait for the model that can output 1080p, and we have pocket HTPCs! Win.
Wonder how much it would cost for a 1080p instead of the 720p :mech3:
I'm guessing in the $300 to $400 range

Warsaw
July 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Don't care. It's barely bigger than a credit card and can do everything an HTPC can do and is supposed to do, what's not to like?

Syuusuke
July 3rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
Barely bigger 10 credit cards, forgot about its thickness =D

Warsaw
July 3rd, 2009, 05:42 PM
That's the part that's barely bigger. =þ

Point is, I can fit an HTPC in my pocket with the Zune HD. Even a media-oriented netbook can't do that.

jcap
August 12th, 2009, 10:54 AM
6djjQ7DLec0&hd=1

Masterz1337
August 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM
That does look real nice.

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Haha my ipod touch broke one month too early and one month after just using it =/

no external speakers huh, oh well

220 huh, not bad

klange
August 12th, 2009, 11:19 AM
:facepalm:
They compared the thickness to the iPhone, rather than the significantly thinner iPod Touch.

Jean-Luc
August 12th, 2009, 11:35 AM
:facepalm:
They compared the thickness to the iPhone, rather than the significantly thinner iPod Touch.

Oh god! It's .1 inches thicker than the iPhone but still under 1/2 an inch thick. What the fuck are we going to do?! :gonk:

Mr Buckshot
August 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Looks really good from what I saw on CNET photos (especially the Bing web browser).

I'll definitely consider getting one, of course I'll wait till a demo unit comes out at the store so that I can get a hands-on feel.

BobtheGreatII
August 12th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Bleh, I'll fill this post full of updates:

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/4681/504ximg0001320090811174.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4674/504ximg0001220090811142.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/zune-hands3-000.jpg
Video:http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/11/zune-hd-video-hands-on-chock-full-of-media-edition/

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/patterson__15/patterson-11418793-1249942683.jpg?ymbCjtBDQramDoNx
http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/patterson__15/patterson-409585220-1249942683.jpg?ymcCjtBDhw9qYC2O
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/zunehd-in-fcc-picture-10-rm-eng.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/zunehd-in-fcc-picture-11-rm-eng.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/zunehd-in-fcc-picture-12-rm-eng.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/08/zunehd-in-fcc-picture-13-rm-eng.jpg

Mr Buckshot
August 12th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hmm, Nvidia graphics chip...though the lack of hard buttons does limit its gaming potential (I've experienced the iPhone/iTouch games hands-on, and some are fun, some just don't work that well with the accelerometer and touch screen only).

BobtheGreatII
August 12th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Today, Brian Seitz was on the MP3 insider podcast from Cnet. The whole episode was about the ZuneHD. Here's what was said:

If you don't have an internet connection, the device will still work at full performance. The Zune will use the cloud as an extension. The connection to the cloud will be very fluid-like and smooth. Almost all of it's features work offline.

There is currently no flash support, but it may be coming in the near future

There is no Linux or Mac support, but that may change also.

The ZuneHD will be part of Zune Originals

There will be an update for the older Zunes, too

The equalizer is back for the Zune HD

There is a "Now Playing" mode very similar to the software. A picture of the artist is in the background, and the name of the song and artist is scrolling across the screen diagonally.

You can check artist biography information straight from the device, wifi optional.

This device will be thin; very thin.

Later on there will be international support, but not at first.

There are games on the device, with many more coming soon.

The Zune HD is focused on media content first. The games and apps are not as important as music, video, and podcasts.

There will be the Xbox integration with the video marketplace. More integration will be worked on later.

Cannot be used as a hard drive. The Zune HD still has to use the client.

The Zune HD will work on old accessories, unlike the iPod.

The HD radio can pick up multiple audio streams from one radio station.

There will be HD vido podcast support.

There will be more facts coming out soon. We have yet to get a look at the actual computer software, but it will be coming out soon too. After the launch date, the Zune Team will still be working on adding new features. Stay tune to zunited.net for more info.
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/4/2009/08/504x_zunehdship_01.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/08/zunehd16.jpg
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/08/zunehd32.jpg

It feels like we know everything about the Zune HD (http://gizmodo.com/tag/zune-hd)—except the price. Well, now we know, if Best Buy (http://gizmodo.com/tag/best-buy/)'s inventory system is right: the 16GB model will go for $220, and the 32GB model will be $290.
Go to http://amazon.com/zunehd right now where they say the following:
The new Zune HD is a digital experience that gives you access to premium entertainment and the latest technologies, allowing you to enjoy, connect, and discover content in a whole new way--the way you like it. Browse, stream, buy, and play all you want, including music, HD video, podcasts, games, and much more. Gain the freedom to enjoy your entertainment; Zune is everywhere you are--on your PC, Zune portable player, and Xbox 360 through Xbox LIVE. Zune brings your content up front, so you're always in control.

Available for pre-order now, the Zune HD comes in 16 GB (black) and 32 GB (platinum) capacities. Find out more on the product detail pages.Also, it confirms that the 16GB Zune HD will be priced at $219.99, and the 32GB will be priced at $289.99, and they will come in black and platinum, respectively. Take that, Apple!

Futzy
August 12th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I want one, but I also want W7 and ODST, so it'll have to wait since i already have an iPod.

My sister has a Zune and I really like the UI for it. The only flaw is that it has a glass screen, which of course led to cracks when she eventually dropped it. Luckily I found some clear plastic adhesive that was just the right size to cover it.

TomClancy
August 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I'm torn between Platinum and Black. I really like the Black one because it all blends together, but the Platinum one has that more "industrial" feel". I'll have to see a demo and decide, but I'll definitely be getting this on or close to release day!

Warsaw
August 12th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I'd spring for the brushed aluminum one. Straight up black is glossy and doesn't appeal to me. If it were a brushed black, I might go for it instead.

TomClancy
August 12th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Okay, cool. Someone who agrees too!
(Quite a few of my friends say the brushed aluminum one was ugly. They also think the Antec Performance 1 cases are ugly so...)

Syuusuke
August 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Get both, mod it to your liking, and sell the one one you don't want to use.

TomClancy
August 12th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I don't have ~$600 to drop on PMP's. :S
e: Just read that only "Platinum" is available in 32GB, cool.

TomClancy
August 13th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Pre-Orders Available Now! :cool:
NewEgg-16GB. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855604030)
NewEgg-32GB. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855604029)
Amazon-16GB. (http://www.amazon.com/Zune-Video-MP3-Player-Black/dp/B002JPITXY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1250193955&sr=8-2)
Amazon-32GB. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002JPITY8/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)
BestBuy-INFO PAGE. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat186100050002&DCMP=rdr0001892)
Microsoft Store-16GB (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Zune-HD-16GB/product/01A9B8A7)
Microsoft Store-32GB. (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Zune-HD-32/product/41941DC9)
Product Demo (http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm).

e: Added both variants.

Needles
August 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Pre-Orders Available Now! :cool:
NewEgg. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855604029)
Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002JPITY8/ref=pd_luc_mri?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance)
BestBuy. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat186100050002&DCMP=rdr0001892)
Microsoft Store. (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Zune-HD-32/product/41941DC9)
Product Demo (http://www.zune.net/en-us/mp3players/zunehd/default.htm).

I kind of wanted a cheap 8GB, but 16gb for the price of an Itouch 4gb is fine :D

Bhamid
August 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Are there any dates for Europe?

klange
August 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I kind of wanted a cheap 8GB, but 16gb for the price of an Itouch 4gb is fine :D
There is no 4GB iPod Touch.

Syuusuke
August 13th, 2009, 02:59 PM
There was

or maybe that was just the iphone?

Hey link the 16gb version too (newegg)! (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855604030)

TomClancy
August 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM
Edited previous post. :P

Syuusuke
August 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I wish the app support was awesome like on the ipod touch/iphone

TomClancy
August 13th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I read/saw on a video somewhere they said they would add apps and such in a later update.

Syuusuke
August 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
I know.

But what if apps wouldn't be a big thing as ipod's apps

I mean I know the possible features apps would have (minus the usage of external speakers dammit) on the Zune because of that tegra chip and something else, but how many Zune users (developers I mean) are there compared to to iPod?

Oh well we'll see how things go, I hate how I'm getting this within two weeks of school starting. It seems that I always get a new player within the start of the school year.

Futzy
August 13th, 2009, 05:24 PM
how many Zune users (developers I mean) are there compared to to iPod?

None, as of now. Just like there were none for the iPod not to long ago.

TomClancy
August 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I'm most likely getting it on release day, but I want to wait for the invisibleSHIELD to make one for it. I'd hate to scratch it or something before I can get the protector for it.

jcap
August 13th, 2009, 10:15 PM
None, as of now. Just like there were none for the iPod not to long ago.
Actually, there are quite a few developers. The only problem is that Microsoft has not yet offered an easy way to put apps on to the Zune.

Right now, the only way to put something on the device is to get the source to the program and then deploy it to the device through Visual Studio with XNA.

The Zune actually has a pretty good card up its sleeve. Since the Zune is an XNA device, ANY app or game that was made with the XNA Studio can be deployed on any XNA device. All the community games (or rather "indie games") that are currently available for download on the 360 can be very easily converted to the Zune. Microsoft also has a marketplace background that can very easily be tapped into. I can't wait to play Marble Blast on the Zune. :|

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/

Syuusuke
August 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM
All I hope is for something like audiosurf to be on the zune (I couldnt find one for the ipod)

Horns
August 14th, 2009, 01:56 AM
All I hope is for something like audiosurf to be on the zune (I couldnt find one for the ipod)

That would be fucking awesome.

Spartan094
August 14th, 2009, 07:37 AM
http://cache-foo-04.gawkerassets.com/gawker/assets/images/4/2009/08/504x_zuneblack_01.jpg
That is thin and why so many no's in the votes :ugh:?

I still have that old version of the zune, the thick brick one...I am gonna get this!

Syuusuke
August 14th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Because people already have something else/will stick to it/ will not be slave to the microsoft corporation? :haw:

Also preorder for 16gb (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Zune-HD-16/product/01A9B8A7) or 32gb (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Zune-HD-32/product/41941DC9)

and if anyone wants to read the Seattle Times blog about the ZuneHD (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/technologybrierdudleysblog/2009657520_microsoft_still_using_seattle.html)

NullZero
August 14th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Might get this actually :o

or the cowon s9 for audio quality, though will have to wait for comprehensive reviews.

Syuusuke
August 14th, 2009, 10:41 AM
Dunnoabout the audio quality on the cowon s9, but the last two zunes i used had lovely quailty, even without the EQ. I was using the zune "premiums" headphones though, and yes it does matter.

Futzy
August 14th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Bose noise canceling headphones have the best quality I have ever out of headphones.

I need to get a job so I can buy this thing :ugh:

Needles
August 14th, 2009, 11:08 PM
I'm actually waiting to see what apple does, supposedly a itouch 3rd gen with a camera, video recording, and a mic to come out in fall.

BobtheGreatII
August 14th, 2009, 11:12 PM
I'm actually waiting to see what apple does, supposedly a itouch 3rd gen with a camera, video recording, and a mic to come out in fall.

Oh, so things my phone already does? Seriously, I don't understand what Apple is thinking. You only need so many products that take pictures and can record voice.

Warsaw
August 15th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Seriously. This is a PMP, not a Swiss-Army knife. I want to play back stuff I download onto it, not use it to record things. This whole trend of devices that can do everything but none of it well is getting old. If you want all that, buy a fucking laptop (or even a netbook) and get a simpler phone to cover calls.

Zune HD is sexy, this might actually be the first ever MP3 player I buy (still running on CD players circa late 90s).

Horns
August 15th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I pre-ordered mine.

Jean-Luc
August 15th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Zune HD is sexy, this might actually be the first ever MP3 player I buy (still running on CD players circa late 90s).
Ironically enough, CD players have much higher sound quality than any mp3 player out there today.

CDs = 1440kbps audio bitrate
mp3 = 320kbps MAX audio bitrate.

I never understood that.

NullZero
August 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM
But quite a few mp3 players play .wav which is around 1400kbps iirc, and then there are those that play loseless (.flac etc.)

Anyway, it's pretty damn cheap, and coming from an old 1st generation black 4GB iPod Nano, it would be a big step up, plus the audio will be much better :)

aka, I have decided to buy it when it comes out.

Jean-Luc
August 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
But quite a few mp3 players play .wav which is around 1400kbps iirc, and then there are those that play loseless (.flac etc.)
I actually just googled that and found out that the Zune, a device I've owned for 3 years, can play WAV Lossless at 1400kbps, and I'm just finding out about it right now. I'm a fucking retard :saddowns:

NullZero
August 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Heh, well better now than later eh?

TomClancy
August 15th, 2009, 10:01 PM
Wow Jean, wow. Haha. I'd play lossless on my Zune but I'm not an audiophile. :S I can hear the difference in lossless from compressed on good quality speakers, but mine aren't so the point is moot.

Syuusuke
August 16th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I actually just googled that and found out that the Zune, a device I've owned for 3 years, can play WAV Lossless at 1400kbps, and I'm just finding out about it right now. I'm a fucking retard :saddowns:

Who's going to convert 1000s of music to WAV lossless

oh I know who would.

BobtheGreatII
August 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
OH HEY THERE! :iamafag:

If you have been pining for apps, then boy do I have news for you! Earlier today, our own Jon Young confirmed Apps on the device. But unfortinately, he was not able to photograph the menu. Luckily, @microsoft_cares on Twitter managed to record a video of the Zune HD in action. See it below (The Apps reference is near the end)!

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6353/zunehdapps.png (http://qik.com/video/2631739) <<CLICK

In addition, several Twitter users who went to Best Buy posted some pictures of the device on TwitPic, including some handy comparisons to the iPod Touch and Zune 30. I have linked to them below. (Jon Young also has some nice pictures. See his post for the link.)Also:

Twitter user CrazyPhoneGuy managed to snap a picture of the Zune HD box at one of the Best Buy preview events. As you can see, the front of the box seems to include the logo and a picture of the device, and the back shows a short list of features. I think I should point out that "games" is features prominently (Over HD Video out, which isn't mentioned at all.). I get the feeling that games will be a bigger part of this than what we have seen so far.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9247/25003281ae95b5fd251cc52.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/9247/25003281ae95b5fd251cc52.jpg)

Enjoy!

Warsaw
August 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I want to play Marble Blast Ultra on this thing...:-3

TomClancy
August 29th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Got my 32GB Preorder slip from Best Buy. Can't wait!

BobtheGreatII
September 12th, 2009, 12:16 PM
3 Days to go!

pBXUovO8OBg

Phopojijo
September 12th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Ironically enough, CD players have much higher sound quality than any mp3 player out there today.

CDs = 1440kbps audio bitrate
mp3 = 320kbps MAX audio bitrate.

I never understood that.
And ZIP and RAR destroy your files?

The lower bitrate alone means nothing.

But you're right, MP3 is not lossless... though the majority of people who claim they can tell the difference, can't.

Timo
September 12th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Zune HD to remain US only, for now (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/09/11/zune-hd-to-remain-us-only-for-now) :smith:

Heathen
September 12th, 2009, 05:55 PM
3 Days to go!

pBXUovO8OBg

lol, that video is not in HD.

jcap
September 12th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Zune HD to remain US only, for now (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/09/11/zune-hd-to-remain-us-only-for-now) :smith:
I seriously don't understand this.

If Microsoft wants to rival Apple, why are they not trying to attack them in every single market? Their marketing sucks. Hell, they don't even advertise.

Bhamid
September 13th, 2009, 05:26 AM
I don't know, theres been rumours that MS were going to discontinue their Zunes, so they might just be cautious in case it fails.

NullZero
September 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
For fuck sake, I was waiting for this in UK, but NO, microsoft are baddies and exclude us.

343guiltymc
September 13th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Nothing for us Canucks? :(

jcap
September 13th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I don't know, theres been rumours that MS were going to discontinue their Zunes, so they might just be cautious in case it fails.
Whoever said that is a crack head.

Bhamid
September 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Well, Zunes don't have awesome market share...

How much would it cost to export?

Syuusuke
September 13th, 2009, 11:33 AM
The reason is the Zune Marketplace and software. Francois Ruault of Microsoft France said they have no plans yet to market the ZuneHD in the territory. Microsoft’s content products may need a lot of readjusting if they plan to sell the ZuneHD in Europe. That’s what much of the Zune really is, “The Social.” To launch ZuneHD with not much content support in Europe would be an act of hubris, frankly.

another (http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=7562)

jcap
September 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM
The Zune HD was released today.

And the new updated Zune software is sweet. Talk about a polished app... Check out some pics here: http://news.cnet.com/2300-17938_105-10001551.html

They didn't change the software much, but they added a welcome screen (Quickplay) and refined a couple other things like "now playing".

NullZero
September 15th, 2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, not released in EU, so don't care anymore.

Was a good read, though a little biased: http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/09/14/from-oled-to-tegra-five-myths-of-the-zune-hd/

Jean-Luc
September 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Project Gotham Racing and AudioSurf coming to Zune HD (http://kotaku.com/5360324/project-gotham-audiosurf-coming-to-zune-hd)

:neckbeard:

odseraphim
September 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Project Gotham Racing and AudioSurf coming to Zune HD (http://kotaku.com/5360324/project-gotham-audiosurf-coming-to-zune-hd)

FOR. FREE.

I love mine. I really was addicted to the iPod Touches for awhile, but I left it at home this morning in favor for my Zune HD, which I feel has better audio clarity (much better) and the screen is just :iamafag:. Apps are few, but I can see potential for a nice-sized app market, like Android's Market. The Home screen is perfect, I wouldn't change a thing. Allowing me to hotlink to any picture, app, artist, album, etc is a brilliant idea. I have yet to try the Smart DJ mix feature, but I didn't get much chance to fool with that yesterday.

Color me impressed, when I originally didn't think I would be. This is what the original Zune should have been.

BobtheGreatII
September 16th, 2009, 03:40 PM
XNA Game Studio 3.1 Zune Extensions Reply Quote
Are you as excited as we are at today’s arrival of the Zune HD? If you've already picked yours up from your local retailer or are eagerly awaiting your delivery from Zune Originals, we are pleased to announce the immediate availability of XNA Game Studio 3.1 Zune Extensions to support Zune HD. This add-on for XNA Game Studio 3.1 adds the following functionality to the product:

1. The ability to target and develop for the Zune HD media player.
2. The addition of new Touch APIs to the XNA Framework for use on the Zune HD.
3. The addition of new Accelerometer APIs to the XNA Framework for use on the Zune HD.

You'll also find new documentation and examples integrated into Visual Studio help that will show you how to leverage the new APIs, as well as a tutorial on how to update the Platformer Game Starter Kit to use the new Touch API's.

Barring the new input models available, your game should port over relatively easily.

Beyond the changes outlined here, all of the other XNA Game Studio functionality with the Zune HD remains the same as it did with earlier versions of the device.

You'll find the download for the XNA Game Studio 3.1 Zune Extensions by following this link. If you have questions or need help getting started using XNA Game Studio 3.1 Zune Extensions, please use this thread.

Enjoy your Zune HD!For all you Devs out there (Me included!) here is the link to the download so you know it's legit!!! http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=48f7ba37-8ba7-4d16-8873-0b7f83ef77f9&displaylang=en

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/09/zune-multitouch-20090916.jpg (http://blogs.msdn.com/xna/archive/2009/09/15/xna-game-studio-3-1-zune-extensions.aspx)

A lot of people had differing emotions when reading the Zune HD launch announcement (http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/15/zune-hd-3d-gaming-and-app-downloads-confirmed/) yesterday: joy that the system would indeed sport a selection of apps and games, all free; dismay that those apps would be developed almost exclusively by Microsoft. Today you can turn that frown upside down, sweetheart, as it seems that exclusivity won't last long. An update to the XNA Game Studio development environment has already been released, enabling coders to target the Zune HD. The new version, 3.1, adds libraries for handling the system's accelerometer and multitouch screen, both put to use by developer Elton Muuga to create a simple drawing app, shown in video form after the break. It makes lines on a screen with finger touches and, like a ridiculously expensive Etch A Sketch, erases with a shake. It's not much, but impressive given the thing's only been available for a day now, and while we're still unsure how apps like this will find their way into the Zune's app store, we're sure all will be answered soon enough.Awesome stuff coming soon I think. :realsmug:

Spartan094
September 16th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I bought it yesterday, and I was gonna post on this thread with my Zune HD but hey no support or I could be retarded and not using it right. It is thee best money I probably put in to. Audio is clear, screen is crystal clear, love the touch screen! Needs more apps. Alot of good releases are coming this month and in 2 months :)

Warsaw
September 17th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Halo Zune Edition mb?

BobtheGreatII
September 17th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Halo Zune Edition mb?

http://www.wiredzune.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/zune-halo3.jpg

:realsmug:

Phopojijo
September 17th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I think he meant Halo ON the Zune HD... not a Halo themed Zune HD...

And that's a Halo themed Zune anyway... not a Zune HD.

BobtheGreatII
September 17th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Zune 30 my good sir. :eng101:

Also I was looking through the Zune Originals stuff. And then this:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2684/odstzunehd.jpg

Warsaw
September 18th, 2009, 12:06 AM

Yes. Though it would admittedly be hard to do without buttons and thumbsticks. I would say do it through the dock, but then that'd beat the whole purpose for having Halo on a portable device.

Horns
September 18th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Zune 30 my good sir. :eng101:

Also I was looking through the Zune Originals stuff. And then this:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/2684/odstzunehd.jpg

That'd be ugly tbh.

BobtheGreatII
September 18th, 2009, 12:36 AM
That's be ugly tbh.

I won't argue.

jcap
September 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Halo Wars on the Zune would be very possible, and quite fucking awesome to play. You just can't do any FPS games.

Horns
September 18th, 2009, 02:59 PM
I love my new zune HD. But one of my friends also got a 32GB ZHD and within the first day his screen went to shit. It started getting lines all across the screen. He took it back in to best buy and they told him that they didn't have any left and they didn't plan on ordering any anytime soon. Which seems stupid on their part. So he bitched and made them give him his money back.

But so far I havn't had a problem with mine. Also Zune software 4.0 is 10x better than iTunes 9 imo.

E: Only thing that I've found so far that I don't like is your inability to play youtube videos.

Warsaw
September 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah, the lack of internet capability on par with the iPhone and iPod Touch is a real bummer and a turn off for me. =( I refuse to fork over money to Apple, and the Zune HD was looking like the ticket in for me, until that.

BobtheGreatII
September 19th, 2009, 12:50 AM
You just can't do any FPS games.

Rail shooter maybe?

Also, I've read about the screen thing too, weird. Not cool that that's doing that. Hopefully it's something they'll work out in other products. But yeah... that sucks.