PDA

View Full Version : So...

Chainsy
April 17th, 2009, 10:55 PM
I know this is pretty paranoid and stupid, but I want your opinion.
Cue story.

Well the first way I got into halo was through halo trial, then into full version and into ce. Well being trial is my roots, and is the home to the scum of halo that makes 1.08 users look like model citizens. So naturally, after realizing after all this time I still have it installed, I powered it up and created a server.
Well its all going good for a pub game, when this douche comes in and starts betraying, and I had anti betray, but the app usually causes warp on the server, so I just sv_kicked him as banning doesn't work for obvious reasons.
Now here's where he returns and threatens to boom the server. Well I had an antiboom fix, and told him to go wild, he did, and failed. Well again he returns and says if I kick him again he'll lag my server. I could care less and kicked him, this time he did lag my server and made all my players disconnect. He enters in again, laughing, now I know this is just osme idiot kid who saw someone do this and googled the app, and has no idea what he is doing, and just pressing a button, but he said smugly before finally leaving. "your internet is now fuxxed."
Well I continued to host and people ocntinued to join, and it wasn't until I started TF2 and went to my regular haunting grounds that I noticed something. MY ping, usaully an 8-20 on this server, was a 95-120. Now after 2 days, it has not changed. Now here's the deal, we have been having storms for the past 2 days and cloudy weather, and I do have satelite. Also this has happened before, but was 800 pings and went away after a week. So in your opinion, what do you think is causing this? Idiot kid who I highly doubt, but am a paranoid fucker, bad weather on the satelitte, or the odd bump in ping that lasts for a week and goes away with no explination?

jcap
April 17th, 2009, 11:07 PM
If you're worried he is DDoSing you, then get a new IP. If you have any way of accessing firewall logs, that would confirm whether it's an attack or not, but I can't help you with that.

Syuusuke
April 18th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Well by joining your server, he can get your IP...

rossmum
April 18th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Satellite?

Are you sure? Dad has satellite and his latency is over a second. Unless your ISP has somehow devised a way of sending packets faster than the speed of light, I can't imagine how that would possibly give you normal pings at all...

Chainsy
April 18th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Yeah it was the storm.
On the subject of the satellite Rossum, my usual haunt has the main server location in Texas, about 15 minutes away, so it gives me a nice ping.
Most servers in USA give me 20-60 and then aussies servers and others give me 80-120.
Anyways locked.