PDA

View Full Version : Well, I think my computer is toast...

ThePlague
April 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
So, for the past few days my computer has been gradually slowing down and acting weird. Such as the fan going on when the laptop isnt hot, the RAM heating up way too fast, and the hard drive making funny sounds. So today I decided to format and do a fresh install of windows. When I start backing up movies and other big files to my external it gives me an error that the data couldnt be moved. So I just gave up on it. Now I tried to reformat and it stays at 0%. I think its time for a new pc.

343guiltymc
April 21st, 2009, 07:06 PM
If it's a new PC you are looking for, isn't there already a sticky for that?

ThePlague
April 21st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I never said I was looking for one, I posted to see if anyone could tell me what is wrong. I just couldnt say it because I was out of space to write. All I have left to use right now is my psp.

Syuusuke
April 21st, 2009, 09:38 PM
Cleanup the dust?

Reinstall the fan to make sure its seated correctly?

Trying making space inside so the air can flow out nicely. (Cut wire clutters down, not literally).

ThePlague
April 21st, 2009, 09:39 PM
Its a laptop...

Syuusuke
April 21st, 2009, 09:52 PM
Oh damn I did not read that, sorry, I skimmed it.

If its the performance, check if you might have a virus (or lots of spyware/adware).

Do regular tasks that a long time to do?

(though I can't imagine how ridiculously slow that would take if it really is the CPU for either options).

Analyze for fragmentation...

How old is your laptop?

NuggetWarmer
April 21st, 2009, 11:02 PM
Wow, and I thought that my computer was shitty.

paladin
April 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
Do you care for it? I know people who havent cleaned their computers ever... I clean my once a month and its covered with animal hair and dust. I cant stand a dirty inside...

ThePlague
April 22nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
@syuusuke
Some big progams lag to hell, and when I am moving files. It is an 04 dell latitude d600

@paladin
I actually cleaned what I could last weekend. Everything that was under the keyboard.

legionaire45
April 22nd, 2009, 01:40 AM
Sounds like the HDD kicked the bucket on you to me.

See if you can test it out on another machine - you'll probably need a $5 - $10 whateverIDE to IDE adapted to do that and a desktop machine you don't mind opening up.

Install it in there and see if it works.

If it does, then your HDD checks out and something on the motherboard probably died or is in the process of dieing, which means your Lappy is toast.

If the HDD is the problem just buy another one with a similar connector and install.

ThePlague
April 22nd, 2009, 08:47 AM
I actually have another hdd, but I placed all of my backup stuff on it.

ThePlague
April 22nd, 2009, 07:49 PM
Sorry for the double post, but I got my computer working again. I switched HDD's and it looks like it's working. I'm going to change my RAM when I get the chance, just to make sure. I'll also clean the inside as much as I can. Hopefully I can get another one, when my friends dad gets another one (I got this one from him, and since my friend almost ripped off this one's damn screen, he said he'll give me another for free).

So...locked.