PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Max 2010: Create Polygon problems.

CodeBrain
May 3rd, 2009, 05:01 PM
I am modeling a door, similar to the Triforce door in OoT. I got the animations done, and I see the insides are open. I say "Okay" and I proceed to close them.

I get out my trusty, never failed Create Polygon tool and...

It places a polygon 20 FEET AWAY FROM THE MODEL.

I tried it again, and the same thing happened.

This has never happened to me before I upgraded to 2010. I previously had 3DS Max 8, which worked like a charm.

Any ideas why this is happening?

List of things I have done:

1. Ignored backfacing (Didnt work)

That's all for now.

By the way, this isn't for HCER, I was making it so I can train myself to be better.

Edit: I forgot I used 3DS Max 8, not 2009. Sorry.

Roostervier
May 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Make sure you click exactly on the vertex. Same thing happens in Max 9 through 2009 I believe.

e: responding to your edit... i dont know what the problem is then man. :\

paladin
May 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
In max 9 you have to be exactly on the vert or it creates a new one.. its annoying as fuck but Autodesk support couldnt even tell me if its fixable.

Anton
May 3rd, 2009, 08:12 PM
It doesn't do that to me, the whole create a vertex twenty feet away. Make sure there are no faces there just flipped. Or if a vertice shares multi-direction faces.

Roostervier
May 3rd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I guess if you have to, extrude an edge and simply weld the verts.

CodeBrain
May 4th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Problem fixed, however since this pertains to my door, Ill post my second problem.

EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#3157 : #2 is not a valid model_shader_reference_block index in [#0,#2)

Is coming up when I place my door in Sapian.

Now, from judging the description of my error, it says that my second material in my GBX model has a non-valid shader_model. The thing is, I just made it myself, completely new.

Any idea why thats happening now?

Advancebo
May 4th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Do you have 2 materials with the ID 2?

CodeBrain
May 4th, 2009, 04:09 PM
I figured out the problem.

Apparently the right side of my door was using a different material (Even though in Max it said it was the same as the left), and since it was using 3 materials and I only had 2, slot #2 called an exception.