PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble chargin' mah lazer

Ifafudafi
May 5th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Is there a way to stop a charging effect (as in an actual .effect tag with particles) from drawing until shortly after the primary trigger is held? As of the moment, the charging effect is still happening even after just the slightest press of the mouse.

teh lag
May 5th, 2009, 05:20 PM
My first instinct would be to either change the "map to" settings in the charge function from linear to something else (either very early or very late, idk which). If you can spare a function slot, you could also make another function that's scaled by charge but has a square wave threshold of .2 or something, and have the main function be scaled by it.

CtrlAltDestroy
May 5th, 2009, 07:24 PM
You can make the charging effect have a delay bound, preventing the effect from rendering until a certain amount of time has passed, etc.

Ifafudafi
May 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Alright, got it to work by doing that first method Lag said. Thanks.

EDIT: Got damn fucking anti-repspam blocks. I'll +rep you as soon as I get past that

Ifafudafi
May 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
Okay, reopened the thread because now I'm having another problem which should have an oddly obvious solution that I just can't seem to spot. It's for that Plasma Pistol, in case you couldn't tell.

I'm trying to get it to show an effect which increases in size in relation to the amount of charge, but when I do the standard "Scale this effect by function" nothing happens. I'm assuming that particles called in .effects cannot be scaled by functions, but I may just have overlooked something.

To compensate, I tried to sequence the event block so that there would be a particle which increases in size, and after that's finished, the fully charged particle block plays, but I can't find a way to disable the effect from rendering after it has started; the .effect tag continues until all event blocks have run their duration.

Any ideas?

CtrlAltDestroy
May 6th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Option A: Look at the "A scales values" and "B scales values" flags under the particle field. "A scales values" will make the primary scale of the effect in whatever tag you reference it affect whatever properties you check. This goes the same for "B scales values", except it is controlled by the secondary scale (IE: you could make a particle's radius scaled by age in a charging effect). This is a widely unknown but useful feature.

Option B (this is useless compared to option A for your purposes, as it is less practical): If you really wanted to string a sequence of effect events together, you can set a looping event at the top of the effect tag.

Ifafudafi
May 6th, 2009, 09:48 PM
YES. Thank you, good sir. I always wondered what those things did.

Lorcked again.