PDA

View Full Version : Wireless KeyFob Switch?

Kalub
May 8th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Anyone know of a little key fob sized remote that would control a simple on/off switch?

I don't really know what to type into google or ebay, but so far Ive been lookin' all over. Any help appreciated.

Mr Buckshot
May 9th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I can't find a keyfob sized thing, but I found a wristwatch:

http://www.wristdreams.com/archives/2005/06/midas_remote_co.html

Maniac
May 9th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I sell overhead doors and there's a remote controlled outlet plugin thingie.(I believe its just called a "remote plugin", the one i am talking about is made by Chambarlain or Liftmaster but im sure some others might make them)
Ask your local overhead door company for one.
What specifically are you trying to do?

Kalub
May 9th, 2009, 06:04 PM
Install it in my car before the clutch press relay, that way the car doesn't work without my permission. Of course with a hard switch bypass so I'm not fucked if the batt dies.

Kalub
May 9th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I just need one, small ish, and all it needs to do is, switch on/off when I press a button or get near it. Either scenario would be cool, but it doesn't have to have both.

I was thinking rfid's... but those might be a bit out of reach for me

Cortexian
May 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM
So basically you want another key to your car? Why...

SnaFuBAR
May 9th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Install it in my car before the clutch press relay, that way the car doesn't work without my permission.
this

paladin
May 9th, 2009, 08:22 PM
My buddy put a toggle switch under the hood of his rock crawler that did a similar thing. He had one stolen while were camping. $20,000

Cortexian
May 9th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Yea well, most people are stupid when they go camping/off-roading and leave doors unlocked or don't have doors at all.

Kalub
May 9th, 2009, 11:50 PM
It's because even if it is stolen, or broken into it's not going anywhere.

No biggie, I just thought it would be cool to have. And no, it's a '90 there is no pre-existing keyfob or alarm.

Cortexian
May 10th, 2009, 12:32 AM
Install this:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/9116/

Mr Buckshot
May 10th, 2009, 12:57 AM
It's because even if it is stolen, or broken into it's not going anywhere.

No biggie, I just thought it would be cool to have. And no, it's a '90 there is no pre-existing keyfob or alarm.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/24/retrofit-a-fingerprint-immobilizer-in-your-car/

Now THAT is cool stuff. You can retrofit a fingerprint-based security system into your car, and it has a valet mode too for those times when you need someone else to drive and you aren't available to activate the system.

Cortexian
May 10th, 2009, 01:08 AM
Best friends dad has a fingerprint ignition on his BMW M5 Sedan. It's pretty cool, though nowhere near as cool as a DOOMSDAY button ignition.

Mr Buckshot
May 10th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Best friends dad has a fingerprint ignition on his BMW M5 Sedan. It's pretty cool, though nowhere near as cool as a DOOMSDAY button ignition.

Yeah the Doomsday switch looks awesome, except that it can get irritating once the novelty wears off, lol.

I want a security system that'll actually scan my eye to start the car. Or maybe something that lightly pricks your finger and analyzes the blood DNA, like the system in the movie Gattaca. Those are harder to beat.

Speaking of wireless keyfob switches, those things are sweet, they're offered on just about every new car today (key stays in your pocket, you press a button on the handle to lock/unlock, and press a start button on the dash to start the car). All Toyota models that are the Corolla and higher up have it as an option or as a standard feature on some trim levels (like my sister's Toyota Prius). Most of the current Nissan lineup has it standard too. Actually just about every major international car brand offers this type of smart key these days, nothing really special.

Cortexian
May 10th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Speaking of wireless keyfob switches, those things are sweet, they're offered on just about every new car today (key stays in your pocket, you press a button on the handle to lock/unlock, and press a start button on the dash to start the car). All Toyota models that are the Corolla and higher up have it as an option or as a standard feature on some trim levels (like my sister's Toyota Prius). Most of the current Nissan lineup has it standard too. Actually just about every major international car brand offers this type of smart key these days, nothing really special.
Until your buddies do this to your car:
Skip to 07:30 (http://www.tu.tv/videos/top-gear-corvette-zr1-dodge-challenger_1)

paladin
May 10th, 2009, 02:24 AM
Yea well, most people are stupid when they go camping/off-roading and leave doors unlocked or don't have doors at all.

The fucking thing had no doors... it was essential a roll cage with wheels.

Cortexian
May 10th, 2009, 02:26 AM
The fucking thing had no doors... it was essential a roll cage with wheels.
Like I said... "or don't have doors at all". The removal of doors on a Jeep (which I assume was the base for you "rock-climber") does dick all for your off-roading performance, it's just for looks tbh.

Kalub
May 10th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Weight distribution, the doors are kinda heavy. Anyways... I'll keep looking.