PDA

View Full Version : Hosting a forum Question

Joshflighter
May 9th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I'm purchasing a domain real soon and going to want to host a forum for it.

I know its like $16 per month for the server and 9$ for the domain, but what I was wondering is if anyone here knows how to get a forum started on a godaddy server. Any help would be appreciated. Ty. :)

p0lar_bear
May 9th, 2009, 05:15 PM
What's the webspace like; what is there for server scripting and data storage? I'd imagine you have at least PHP for scripting and MySQL for data storage?

If that's the case, phpBB is good FOSS, also I hear a lot about Simple Machines Forums. Boards like vBulletin or Invision will cost you to use, though they are great boards.

Joshflighter
May 9th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Yea, well I cant afford a few hundred dollars on just the forum itself, if you understand what I mean.. :P

This is what Godaddy comes with:
• 150 GB Disk Space
• 1,500 GB Transfer
This is the place for the server:
http://www.godaddy.com/hosting/shared.aspx?app%5Fhdr=

I am sort of new to implementing my own forum on a server.. I used to pay for forums on a server before, but I'm not doing that anymore.

So advice on how I should do this would be great. :) Thanks

p0lar_bear
May 9th, 2009, 05:23 PM
Looks like your hosting package comes with quick installers for phpBB, SMF, and YetAnotherForum, so you probably have PHP and MySQL on your space.

Joshflighter
May 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Awesome, so that means I don't have to get my own stuff like codes or anything to get this up? (I do plan on editing the coding of the forum and stuff, but not installing the PHBB myself)

E/ and last question.. which one should I chose as my server:

-Linux
or
-Windows

p0lar_bear
May 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Awesome, so that means I don't have to get my own stuff like codes or anything to get this up? (I do plan on editing the coding of the forum and stuff, but not installing the PHBB myself)

E/ and last question.. which one should I chose as my server:

-Linux
or
-Windows

The installers just remove the wait of uploading the files to the server afaik. Then you can modify the source files as much as you want.

Also, Linux.

Joshflighter
May 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Thank-you so much man!

Cortexian
May 9th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I'd make an account at a free hosting website or install some type of WAMP server on your home machine first. That way you can actually learn how to manage the back end of a forum... Using automatic installers is boring and gives you no experience for installing modifications and styles and such later on.

Start with phpBB and read their installation tutorial, it might take you an hour the first time. Installing forums is really easy once you get the hang of it. If you want some help I can give you a hand (lost track of how many forums I've worked on now).

Joshflighter
May 9th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Ty, and yea I did set up free forums before, but I think that's that automatic way. Hmm....

Joshflighter
May 12th, 2009, 12:55 PM
ok, forum is up, and I got my style installed, but how do I install mods? (I might have missed this part..). I am using PHBB3.

MetKiller Joe
May 12th, 2009, 01:10 PM
If it isn't too late, check out hostgator.com.

Joshflighter
May 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
To late. :p

p0lar_bear
May 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Read the readme for the MODs in question. Usually it entails editing source files.

RecycleBin
May 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Hey, if you need any help at all with desining or scripting then ask me if you want. I'm here.

Rook
May 12th, 2009, 03:02 PM
I like invision power boards pretty good, it's what we use [click sig] but depends weather or not you want to pay I suppose.

quick edit: Saw you already installed phpbb3

Joshflighter
May 12th, 2009, 03:24 PM
Yea, because I am most familiar with phpbb3.

I guess I will wait till Dee comes online so he can help with the mods. I am sort of confused with where I put the stuff cause they don't indicate where. I would ask Freelancer, but he is never online.. :[

Hey, if you need any help at all with desining or scripting then ask me if you want. I'm here.

No ty, dont need you to delete everything. :\

RecycleBin
May 12th, 2009, 06:29 PM
No ty, dont need you to delete everything. :\

Why would I delete everything?

Joshflighter
May 12th, 2009, 07:24 PM

You would only know.

Anyways, Dee is working on the mods woot. Thanks guys. :)

Cortexian
May 12th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Because you're annoying and no one likes you. :downs:

Anyways, most mods for phpBB3 require you to modify your MySQL database and then add/remove/modify code in the phpBB3 source files. How much PHP/HTML coding are you familiar with? If you PM the site I could come and look around/help with mod installations, because sometimes the mod readme's leave out little bits or have unclear instructions.

StankBacon
May 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM
not really, mods are simple to install if you have half a brain.

Joshflighter
May 12th, 2009, 08:13 PM
Well, Freelancer and Dee both are working on it now I think.

http://www.scifi-frontier.com/Forum/

Yea, I know, I copied some of the section names from here, but eh, there awesome. What can I say? :p

Cortexian
May 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
not really, mods are simple to install if you have half a brain.
Like I said, some aren't exactly written to spec.

StankBacon
May 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
lol, freelancer will do anything to be a admin on any forum he can :|

Cortexian
May 13th, 2009, 03:59 PM
lol, freelancer will do anything to be a admin on any forum he can :|
It's not my fault I enjoy playing with forum back end stuff.