PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Rob Oplawar
May 9th, 2009, 05:58 PM
I saw X-Men Origins: Wolveblah blah blah today, and the best part by far was the preview I saw.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi262144537/

About 20 seconds in I suddenly realized what I was seeing, and when Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp's names appeared on the screen I shat myself. Seriously, I'm freaking out here you guys.

Apparently this has been on IMDB for a couple of weeks, but this is the first I've heard of it, and a quick search on Modacity didn't turn anything up, so...

Discuss.

thehoodedsmack
May 9th, 2009, 06:00 PM
This video is not available in my country! >:U Halp!

Con
May 9th, 2009, 06:01 PM
This video is not available in my country! >:U Halp!

thehoodedsmack
May 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
For the benefit of mankind, I implore you to watch!

ZSgLOvH_MMk

Rob Oplawar
May 9th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Well if you can't see the video, check out the IMDB page.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/

Also, check out some of Neil Blomkamp's shorts:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Auv&ei=jQsGSsuUHJvGtAPIkMHwAQ&resnum=1&q=neil+blomkamp&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=lQsGSuPyFomYtAOQtayAAg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

Con
May 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
DO WANT

sdavis117
May 9th, 2009, 06:14 PM
iNReejO7Zu8

A little background for those wondering what this film is about.

thehoodedsmack
May 9th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I love how the films he makes are simply the essence of low-budget. Disturbingly noticable CG, innovative plots, and never-before-seen actors. But when you put it all together effectively, I'd much rather see it over Franchise-Film A or B.

n00b1n8R
May 9th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Stop mucking about and gb2 the halo movie peter!!

Higuy
May 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I remember seeing something about this a longggg time ago when they were talking about a Halo movie..
Cool that there's a trailer out now, I want to see it.

Rob Oplawar
May 9th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I love how the films he makes are simply the essence of low-budget. Disturbingly noticable CG, innovative plots, and never-before-seen actors. But when you put it all together effectively, I'd much rather see it over Franchise-Film A or B.

Definitely. That short blows away the new X-Men movie as far as I'm concerned, and I shudder to think how high the budget was on that movie.

(not to bash it too much tho- I did enjoy it. Adamantium claws. Cooooooool.)

n00b1n8R
May 9th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I hope you're not talking about Mr Jackson sir.

(Also, south africans have the funniest accents :lol:)

=sw=warlord
May 9th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Stop mucking about and gb2 the halo movie peter!!
http://www.halomovie.org/halocosplay.jpg
:p

The trailer look interesting.
il be keeping an eye out.

Cortexian
May 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
http://www.halomovie.org/halocosplay.jpg
:p

This isn't at all Halo movie related, just so you know, the only official statement about the Halo movie is basically this little blurb:
DsaVEHdXqs4

I got all excited about the District 9 trailer before X-Men as well!

paladin
May 9th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Why is the aliens face blurred, he can be a minor

Corndogman
May 9th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yarr, I saw this when I saw Star trek last night. It definitely looks very interesting, I hope it turns out well.

FreedomFighter7
May 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Looks incredibly cheesy.

Siliconmaster
May 9th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Wow. This looks really cool. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with the idea, which is innovative to say the least.

SMASH
May 9th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Seems more like a political statement... I mean, south africa, seperation, remind you of something (apartheid).

Siliconmaster
May 9th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Seems more like a political statement... I mean, south africa, seperation, remind you of something (apartheid).

Mhmm. I just finished a semester-long course on South African history, and this thing blatantly mirrors the situation of Africans living under the Afrikaans minority government. I wonder if they'll be able to make a good movie without being too heavy handed on the metaphor. Not that I mind the parallels, but if the entire movie relies only on those, it may not work out well. I'm optimistic that it will be the very least cool, and at the best frigging awesome.

Jean-Luc
May 9th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Looks incredibly cheesy.
Can't say I'm getting that vibe. Plus, tbh, I consider ANYTHING in which Peter Jackson is involved to be awesome.

paladin
May 10th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Agree, saw it again when I saw Wolverine tonight.

Cortexian
May 10th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Jesus... I didn't realize that I saw it twice at the theater until just now (Saw X-Men and then Star Trek an hour later). I love going to multiple theater movies in a row, I once spent a whole day there (noon till around 10pm) with friends watching like five or six movies...

Theaters are great for dates when you're like the only people in the theater for a movie or two... :rolleyes:

paladin
May 10th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I want to see Year One . There were a bunch of trailers for it

nooBBooze
May 10th, 2009, 01:11 PM
I hope the quality of the political commentary lives up to the interesting concept. I've seen enough technofetishist splosionfests pledging for US hegemony.

Limited
May 10th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this will be a very and poor movie? The blurring on the aliens face was just stupid and a cheap way imo to get away not having to do CG for face.

Con
May 10th, 2009, 01:17 PM
I hope the quality of the political commentary lives up to the interesting concept. I've seen enough technofetishist splosionfests pledging for US hegemony.
I think the story's gonna be quite original, it's a nice change from all the remakes recently.

DEElekgolo
May 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
More.

Huero
May 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
http://mnuspreadslies.com/

thehoodedsmack
May 10th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Am I the only one that thinks this will be a very and poor movie? The blurring on the aliens face was just stupid and a cheap way imo to get away not having to do CG for face.

The blurring is because non-humans are to be treated with the same respect humans are. That "cheap" effect is actually a distinguishing point for this movie; that aliens are being treated as more than hostile invaders. Also, there's a video without the blurring, so it doesn't really matter.

Pyong Kawaguchi
May 10th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Can't say I'm getting that vibe. Plus, tbh, I consider ANYTHING in which Peter Jackson is involved to be awesome.

Even the king kong game?
:mech:

Timo
May 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
This looks pretty epic, but it's hard to see it as an hour and a half long movie.

LlamaMaster
May 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Looks cool, but alot of things that look cool turn out badly. I'll wait until it's rated on rotten tomatoes before I turn up my hype-meter. Seriously though, we NEED a good semi-original movie. The industry has been downright pathetic lately.

Rorschach
June 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM
New viral advertisement, lots of new footage, and I fully approve of what I'm seeing. Can't wait until Halo gets off the ground.

Uz3ppkPWyws

Also, here's the uncensored version of the trailer for you guys calling it out as a CGI-copout:

o4EdLlSQE0A

Ki11a_FTW
June 25th, 2009, 11:08 AM
Yeah when i went to see Terminator Salvation i saw they unblurred their faces