PDA

View Full Version : Network attatched storage...

Atty
May 10th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I've finally found the missing link between all my media and my...everything.

I received a Western Digital My World Book 1TB storage drive yesterday and just a few minutes ago got everything I wanted transfered to it and linked into my network. Got to say, this thing rocks. I'm able to download all my videos, music, etc, to the drive from any of my in house computers (My Macbook Pro, desktop PC, mothers laptop, second PC, etc) both wired and wirelessly and access them from any of said devices, including my Xbox 360 or PS3. Currently streaming Boondock Saints from my drive to my 360/HDTV.

In other words, buy this.

/buckshot post

also, what I have

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp;jsessionid=1H0R1ZURFF2LFKC4D3DFAFY?sku Id=9234321&st=my+world+book&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218064407075

btw, I apparently can access all my information from a configured website anywhere in the world and stream it to me. Haven't tested this yet.

Mr Buckshot
May 10th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Awesome device (nice, 1 TB too, all the computer hard drives in my house combined don't add to 1 TB heh). Accessible from videogame console? Nice.

As for wireless accessing the media from any PC in the house, though, can't that be done just by putting the files into a shared folder of one computer on the local area network? I do that with school assignments so that I can use any computer available to do my work.

But I guess this 1 TB network drive will be more useful if said computer ever gets shut down from time to time.

btw, I apparently can access all my information from a configured website anywhere in the world and stream it to me. Haven't tested this yet.

I've got this program called VNC, just configure it on two computers and you can remote desktop from anywhere in the world. My dad uses it at home to access his files in his office computer from his laptop.

Amit
May 10th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I like the direction this thread is going. I'm considering getting one myself...the same one too.

Cojafoji
May 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Just got a 750 gb NAS, fantastic decision on my part.

Rook
May 11th, 2009, 04:58 PM
This is really nice actually, might need to invest into one of these eventually