PDA

View Full Version : Talking on the phone

STLRamsFan
May 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Just got this thread idea a few minutes ago after sending Atty a text:

Do you actually like talking on the phone or prefer to text/IM?

I actually hate talking on the phone. No, not because I'm antisocial haha.. It's because I'm hard of hearing and makes it a complete pain because I can't lipread what the other person is saying. While I don't realize I'm lipreading, it helps out a lot when I misunderstand words here and there. And of course not having that makes conversations not enjoyable since I'm having to ask someone to repeat something 50 times or hesitating what to say because I have no clue what the person is saying. :rolleyes:

And no you guys can't have my numba!

Reaper Man
May 18th, 2009, 10:19 AM
Talking on the phone. Texting is fucking tedious and is much slower to get anything done. For example, I could call a friend and ask
"hey, what's up?"
"oh, not much"
"wanna go see a movie?"
"sure, what time"
"oh, hold on, lemme check
"how's 4:30 sound?"
"great, I'll see you there"

That takes about 30 seconds to a minute. Texting would be much longer as each of those would have to be a single message, which costs money each time, whereas the call probably cost a couple cents.

Alot of the time, texting is stupid. It's useful if you're trying to get a message to multiple people at once, or are sending a number/address - I find it annoying/hard to understand sometimes if they simply say it over the phone, plus then you need a place to write it down or memorize it.

ICEE
May 18th, 2009, 10:23 AM
... chucked it right at the ground

Reaper Man
May 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
... chucked it right at the ground
I dropped mine in a river once, almost knocked my camera off a tripod right after it. At least I caught my $1000 camera >_>

Cut up my feet pretty bad to retrieve it, damn rocks/barnacles - this river was right near the beach. Damn thing cost a couple hundred $HK to fix, probably $80 for you guys.

ICEE
May 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
$175 :( im in debt to my dad because of that and i dont get my paycheck for 2 more weeks. Sucks just a little

Reaper Man
May 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Why would you throw your phone at the ground?

p0lar_bear
May 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Talking on the phone is easier, and more practical for quick stuff.

However, I'm a bit of a social retard; I'm better at conveying humor and emotion with text, so I prefer messaging for conversation. I also prefer text/IM/email for anything resembling srsbzns because I have a log of what was said, and if I forget anything, I can just go back. I can't count how many times I've just checked my IM logs for a password/number/address/etc given to me instead of asking for it again.

Limited
May 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
As far as talking on the phone goes, I only like talking to the people I know. For a few reasons, the people I dont know who I have to talk to on the phone are usually call centre people, so they have a ton of noise in the background and they are nearly always indian or have a huge scottish accent making them nearly impossible to talk.

But I do text my mates alot more than I phone them, then again it is not very socialabe and because of the size limit on texts they are always brief and to the point.

blind
May 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I talk to dudes on the phone, and text girls. Just because you can basically get away with ANYTHING if you add ;)

Corndogman
May 18th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I prefer calling, for the same reason that Reaper Man said. A conversation like that would take way to long to text.

However, there are times when I prefer texting. Such as:
A simple question like "when you picking me up?" and they say "10 min". Then your done, simple as that.

I there's a person you don't necessarily like but need info from, you don't have to actually speak to the person.

Or if you are in school and cant actually call a person without getting in trouble.

But, I don't have any sort of texting plan on my bill, so I (aka my parents) have to pay for each individual message, so I try to limit my texting.

cheezdue
May 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I cant tell what people say over the phone(damn my sensitive ears).

Timo
May 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Texting, nobody that's sane calls down here (unless Telecom breaks and calling is free). $10 to text 2000 people a month, or call for ~$0.50c/minute, or something.

Masterz1337
May 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I talk to dudes on the phone, and text girls. Just because you can basically get away with ANYTHING if you add ;)

^

SnaFuBAR
May 18th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Lol, you guys have to "get away with" things? Heh. I prefer getting a text if i can't answer. Voicemail is a pain in the ass. People tend to text me 10x in a row with short sentences, and costing me money. I don't appreciate that.

ICEE
May 18th, 2009, 03:57 PM
Why would you throw your phone at the ground?

because i am about as smart as this twig. (http://www.missouriplants.com/Whitealt/Tilia_americana_twig.jpg)

there is an actual reason but i think this one is acceptable

Rook
May 18th, 2009, 04:23 PM
talkin

Snowy
May 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I hate texting girls... I just... think too much. I'd rather talk on the phone and just "be myself". Less thinking, easier to make conversation.

Heathen
May 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
aim, unless its a female.

ultama121
May 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I prefer talking on the phone... (See Reaper's posts for more details)

RecycleBin
May 18th, 2009, 06:14 PM
I would much rather talk.
The fucking buttons are flat. It's hard to text with that bitch.

mech
May 18th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Hands are too big to properly text.

Huero
May 18th, 2009, 09:27 PM
depends on the situation
when i talk to my trainer we're like
"4?"
"can't today"
"tom?"
"sure"
and understand everything
thing is, i sent this conversation from class
i couldn't call him in class
etc
sometimes i just don't feel like talking, etc
it really depends on the situation

n00b1n8R
May 18th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I have never owned a mobile and have no intention of getting one in the foreseeable future. vOv

Cortexian
May 18th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I've got unlimited data (includes texts/IM's) on my Storm, so I prefer to text. Plus texting is nice if you're at a fairly loud bar/concert/party/thing and you can't actually hear the other person and they can't hear you.

However, if you're both wearing Jawbones...

Huero
May 18th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I have never owned a mobile and have no intention of getting one in the foreseeable future. vOv

you are stupid

king_nothing_
May 19th, 2009, 06:31 AM
Uhhh...wat. That makes no sense.

Jelly
May 19th, 2009, 07:02 AM
I assume you're living in some small obscure town in a forgotten corner of Australia where everyone knows each other, otherwise that's dumb.

Reaper Man
May 19th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Here in Asia, you would be burned at the stake.

ThePlague
May 19th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I text a lot, but talking on the phone is better.

Llama Juice
May 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM
If I'm around people I txt, if I'm alone I'll call.... also depends on their situation... and similar stuff...

Also, I don't have many minutes (I'm on a business plan so my shit gets paid for me... but I'm roaming 24/7 so I only get to use the plan's roaming minutes.)

Sooo when you have a texting plan and you don't get charged per message then texting becomes a lot less horrible.

Everyone that says that texting is silly doesn't have a texting plan. Once you get one your opinion will change. It's just like 10 years ago when nobody had cell phones and everyone was like n00b up there. You don't care about it until you get used to the convinence of it.

Bodzilla
May 20th, 2009, 04:13 AM
i broke mine during the link up and dano's infamous drunken internet moment.

Didn't have a phone for 6 months at least before i even thought of getting another one.

They're not that necessary tbh.

n00b1n8R
May 20th, 2009, 04:44 AM
you are stupid

Uhhh...wat. That makes no sense.

I assume you're living in some small obscure town in a forgotten corner of Australia where everyone knows each other, otherwise that's dumb.

That got a better reaction then I was hoping for :lmao:
@Reaper: why do asians need mobiles, you're so crammed up that everyone is in shouting distance anyway. :downs:

It's just like 10 years ago when nobody had cell phones and everyone was like n00b up there. You don't care about it until you get used to the convinence of it.
^
I've lived my whole life without one, and so has every generation before ours. You don't need it, you just want it and tbqh, it's another distraction I'd rather go without.

They're not that necessary tbh.
:smug:

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM
That got a better reaction then I was hoping for :lmao:
@Reaper: why do asians need mobiles, you're so crammed up that everyone is in shouting distance anyway. :downs:
Ironically, that's how local Chinese here talk normally. They scream at each other, though they're standing next to each other and they yell into their phones. Urgh.

Bodzilla
May 20th, 2009, 05:07 AM
not racist here, but asian accents are the worst.

angry, angry people.

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 05:26 AM
not racist here, but asian accents are the worst.

angry, angry people.
They irritate me too :saddowns:

Bodzilla
May 20th, 2009, 05:34 AM
WACKA TAKI KUNG PLUNG FOW A JI JO!

breath people remember syllables! their kinda important.
we got this thing going on with my mates, one of them walked into a chinese take away and got some food and as he was leaving he got the response
C-U-BAI

no syllables needed at all.
we lol'd

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 05:55 AM
Uh, clearly you don't know what the word "syllables" means. There's three syllables in C-U-BAI, there's still three even if it's CUBAI (unless you say kewbai, lol, in which case there's two).

Learn to English, you uneducated Australian :eng101:

Bodzilla
May 20th, 2009, 06:20 AM
IT WAS SAID CUBAI NO SYLABLLES

THATS WHY IT WAS FUNNY.

had to be there my frrend

Llama Juice
May 20th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I've lived my whole life without one, and so has every generation before ours. You don't need it, you just want it and tbqh, it's another distraction I'd rather go without.

'sup Amish1n8R

My grandparents went most of their life without the internet, and every generation before them never had it.... but even they realized that it's a useful tool, so now they use it. You're just being stubborn and silly.

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 06:32 AM

THATS WHY IT WAS FUNNY.

had to be there my frrend
CUBAI = C(1)U(2)BAI(3)

Unless it was CU("coo"1)BAI(2) which makes no sense.

Syllable
1. an uninterrupted segment of speech consisting of a center of relatively great sonority with or without one or more accompanying sounds of relatively less sonority: “Man,” “eye,” “strength,” and “sixths” are English words of one syllable.
2. one or more written letters or characters representing more or less exactly such an element of speech.
3. the slightest portion or amount of speech or writing; the least mention: Do not breathe a syllable of all this
:eng101:

Bodzilla
May 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
u g nussing.

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 07:02 AM
u mad :realsmug:

Heathen
May 20th, 2009, 07:27 AM
I would much rather talk.
The fucking buttons are flat. It's hard to text with that bitch.

lg shit shine?

RecycleBin
May 20th, 2009, 07:28 AM
lg shit shine?

yeah

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 07:34 AM
The buttons look no worse than the Razr V3 I used to own, and it was fine for texting..

RecycleBin
May 20th, 2009, 07:41 AM
Have you tried typing on an i-phone? I had to use a Nintendo DS stick thing to type in that fucking barbie doll sized keyboard.

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Typing on an iPhone is easy...

RecycleBin
May 20th, 2009, 08:06 AM
Typing on an iPhone is easy...

I guess if your a fucking skeleton. I just just have big hands :(

Reaper Man
May 20th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Naw dude, you just need basic hand-eye co-ordination. >_>

RecycleBin
May 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM

Well good sir! Obviously i have none of that!

SnaFuBAR
May 20th, 2009, 03:25 PM
typing on my blackberry storm is easy. vOv

mech
May 20th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I guess if your a fucking skeleton. I just just have big hands :(

Big hands makes texting a nightmare, I always end up using my nails to hit the buttons.

=sw=warlord
May 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I hate telephone calls, i just had some consumer survey lot call me this afternoon, had some high pictched japanese girl from tokyo trying to talk to me and i could not hear a single thing....
after 5 mins i just put the phone down....
sounded like a mixure of Caboosejr and veegie mixed totgether to make a horrible froth of asian chipmonk english.

Cojafoji
May 20th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I enjoy conversing over IM much more than I enjoy talking on the phone/texting. Less hassle, more fun, and you can share links etc.

Heathen
May 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
yeah
I use it often and text fine.
But I fucking hate the goddamn piece of shit phone.

I enjoy conversing

you better either be gay, or english better be your second language, because NO ONE talks like that.

Corndogman
May 20th, 2009, 05:45 PM

I dare you to say a word with no syllables.

I dare you.

Heathen
May 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I dare you to say a word with no syllables.

I dare you.

lol

Bodzilla
May 21st, 2009, 03:30 AM
or you've done manual labour in your life.

Big hands. i can barely use mine on any of those gizmo's anymore.
used to text all the time

Reaper Man
May 22nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
lol
3 syllables if it's l-o-l, 1 if it's "loll"
:eng101:

or you've done manual labour in your life.

Big hands. i can barely use mine on any of those gizmo's anymore.
used to text all the time
Big hands, moar like fat hands. Typing on an iPhone may be hard at first, but you just have to get used to it.

Bodzilla
May 22nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
do i look fat.

some people actually have jobs that dont entail a keyboard.

thehoodedsmack
May 22nd, 2009, 07:07 AM
do i look fat.

some people actually have jobs that dont entail a keyboard.

'Sup, working class. o/

I don't have a mobile, but I've been thinking of getting one more and more recently. For the most part, though, I've been getting by with just a home phone. Talking over texting. Faster, easier, yadda-yadda-yadda.

king_nothing_
May 22nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
Yeah, and generations of people lived their whole lives without the wheel before it was invented, too. It sure makes things a fuck of a lot easier though, doesn't it? That's the point.

Have fun walking ten miles down the highway after you break down. :p

Or maybe someday you and someone else will be driving home in the middle of the night on an empty highway and get in a car accident, and the person with you ends up dying because you didn't have a phone to call EMS in time. Obviously that's an extreme example, but if you think about it you'd see there are an endless number of scenarios in which having a cell phone is extremely useful.