PDA

View Full Version : How I fixed an xbox 360 with sound but no video.

Pyong Kawaguchi
May 24th, 2009, 06:39 PM
OKAY HERES WHAT I DID:

Step 1: Diagnose that the xclamp fix would not keep it running for more than 5 minutes.

Step 2: Open it up, and take out all removable parts (dvd drive, heatsinks, etc)

Step 3: Clean the heatsinks so that they are nice and shiny :)

Step 4: Mostly cover the whole thing with a towel but leave the H/ANA, CPU, and GPU chips exposed

Step 5: Cover the towel in aluminum foil and tape down the aluminum foil to the board so that it stays on without coming loose

Step 6:
You now have three options :

Option 1:
This is the option I used, I preheated an oven to 200*c (Roughly 425*f) when it was preheated, I put the whole thing in there, on a pizza tray, with the sync/dvd eject buttons facing outwards (basically towards the door, not the back) Then after 13 minutes, open the oven door then let it cool for 20-30 min
Do the Xclamp fix and put the whole box together, and cross your fingers!

Option 2:
Get a heatgun that is able to produce about 200*c of hot air, and reflow the H/ANA, GPU, and the CPU. For about 5-13 minutes, and then let it cool

Option 3: Use a reflow station to reflow the above areas for 5-13 minutes

Good luck to anyone with this problem!
+rep plox

itszutak
May 24th, 2009, 06:40 PM
This sounds like a good way to permanently ruin an xbox. D:

Granted, it'd be broken to start with-- but still

Pyong Kawaguchi
May 24th, 2009, 06:46 PM
There was no signs of visual damage to the motherboard at all, and this was the last possible way to fix it, AND, i read reports of this fixing xbox's and having them work for over a month, AND, the rest of the xbox 360 was protected fully.

jcap
May 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM
This is what happened to my Xbox last August.

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11101

Interesting to see how you fixed it.

Pyong Kawaguchi
May 24th, 2009, 06:57 PM
If you manage to do that, and it works, tell me :P