PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: TOR (Fuck stickied threads)

PwN Lone
June 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
ANYWAY, this is the new trailer for game Star Wars: The Old Republic. I thought it was bad-ass, e.t.c e.t.c.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/deceived-cinematic-trailer

Discuss.

bfett9
June 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
watch it here
z3vwQgeXDRk

NullZero
June 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Looks...interesting.

I love the topic title though haha :)

Rentafence
June 2nd, 2009, 05:33 PM
I like how this trailer will not be relevant to actual game play at all.

PwN Lone
June 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
I like how this trailer will not be relevant to actual game play at all.

Bounty Hunter, Sith Lord, Smuggler, Jedi Knight all of the characters are characters that you can play as in-game.

The Sith Lord armor you may use in-game.
Same goes for the Bounty Hunter.
And the Jedi Knight.

As for the Smuggler, thats just a companion designed for the game.

But for the most part, trailer was just intended to give you a backstory to the game itself. But was still really good.

Also:

Wednesday PST

12:30 pm Star Wars: The Old Republic -- Learn how this MMO will consume you.

1:00 pm Unannounced Lucas Arts Title -- See what Lucas Arts has in store for us.

1:30 pm Unannounced Lucas Arts Title -- Another secret game from Lucas Arts.

They're going to be showing actual game footage. So I guess we can all see then. I'll post a link to the footage once it comes online.

Rentafence
June 2nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I was expecting game play more than this. It looks like a trailer for a Jedi Knight game than a turn based rpg.

n00b1n8R
June 2nd, 2009, 05:45 PM
What sort of a game is it going to be? KOTOR? JA? BF?

E: wait, so it's a MMO? Tell me it has realtime combat, not that dps snorefest that WoW uses.

PwN Lone
June 2nd, 2009, 06:02 PM
What sort of a game is it going to be? KOTOR? JA? BF?

E: wait, so it's a MMO? Tell me it has realtime combat, not that dps snorefest that WoW uses.

It has real-time combat and ragdoll physics.

www.swtor.com (http://www.swtor.com)

Find out all you need to know from there.

Cant wait for the 30 minutes of gameplay footage though.

E1: Apparently the footage has already been showed to a few people, who kindly put up a preview of it.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210951/star-wars-the-old-republic-impressions-combat-bounty-hunters-smugglers-and-gameplay?tag=top_stories;story;1

Rentafence
June 2nd, 2009, 06:59 PM
God I hate the cartoon look they went with. It's such a turn off.

Joshflighter
June 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM
The trailer looked so good too!

FreedomFighter7
June 2nd, 2009, 09:10 PM
I think they go with cartoony graphics for two reasons: its an effective way to make low powered graphics look good, or at least friendly to the eyes. Two: no one has enough skill to make detailed textures and stuff (don't ask me why idk). Thats just my take on it.

It does look awesome, Ive spent the last hour or so reading the website.

Edit: why do I always get the top of a new page? :P

Jean-Luc
June 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
I think they go with cartoony graphics for two reasons: its an effective way to make low powered graphics look good, or at least friendly to the eyes.A valid reason, as it means more accessibility. Also means that more players can be on screen at one time, see WoW. Two: no one has enough skill to make detailed textures and stuff (don't ask me why idk). Guarenteed this isn't the reason. If I can make detailed textures, they can too. Thats just my take on it.

Cortexian
June 3rd, 2009, 03:09 AM
Two: no one has enough skill to make detailed textures and stuff (don't ask me why idk).
Apparently you didn't watch the trailer? :confused2:

See all that stuff in the trailer? They could make the entire game look like that if they didn't have to worry about consumer hardware.

n00b1n8R
June 3rd, 2009, 03:22 AM
What the fuck is cartoony about that trailer?
It's a bit stylised, yeah (like anything in Starwars isn't), but it looks nothing like the latest "movies" they've been coming out with (or the Clonewars cartoon which I <33'd).

It looks computer generated, but what game really doesn't?

ThePlague
June 3rd, 2009, 03:44 AM
That was amazing. At first I thought the sith lord was grievous. Is that Darth Vader?

n00b1n8R
June 3rd, 2009, 04:18 AM
IT IS THE OLD REPUBLIC
THOUSAND(S?) OF YEARS BEFORE EPISODE 1.

If you had to say it was a known Sith Lord, it looks a bit like Malek, but not much (and Malek never attacked the temple).

E: Sorry if that sounded rude, your stupidity ignorance just tripped my nerd rage alarm.

Lateksi
June 3rd, 2009, 04:25 AM
When I watched the trailer I was wondering where's the cartoony style they had in the old images... Kinda confusing as the trailer does not even have the same art style they have in the actual game.

PwN Lone
June 3rd, 2009, 08:13 AM
Actually, the reason everything is marginally low-res is due to the size of each planet, if you look at the places like Nal Hutta or Korriban and imagine them in High Res, it would cause death for most, if not all, low-end computers.

I actually dont mind the style of graphics they have gone with, its still marginally better than WoW, and does not hinder gameplay.

E1: I remember seeing that someone comented on it being a turned based RPG. Let me just get this point across, it is not a turned based rpg, and from what i can gather with the footage supplied so far that its real-time combat. Or at least close to it. Now dont take m words for complete and utter truth, because i could be very easily wrong.

Pooky
June 3rd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Nar Shadda would be worse. It would kill high end computers.

Rentafence
June 3rd, 2009, 05:41 PM
E1: I remember seeing that someone comented on it being a turned based RPG. Let me just get this point across, it is not a turned based rpg, and from what i can gather with the footage supplied so far that its real-time combat. Or at least close to it. Now dont take m words for complete and utter truth, because i could be very easily wrong.

It will most definitely be turn based. Have you played the first two?

PwN Lone
June 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM
It will most definitely be turn based. Have you played the first two?

Yes I've played the first two. You seen the footage for this game?

The developers said combat would be flow fluently, and act like a Star Wars universe.

Rentafence
June 3rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
You seen the footage for this game?

None exists. All there is, is a pre rendered animation which only represents the game in terms of the story. In how many instances have pre rendered trailers for a game represented what it's truly like?

Warsaw
June 3rd, 2009, 10:38 PM
None exists. All there is, is a pre rendered animation which only represents the game in terms of the story. In how many instances have pre rendered trailers for a game represented what it's truly like?

I call it Battlezone.

:haw:

Cortexian
June 3rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
I like how the trailer made it look like non-force users could actually do some damage against Jetiise, err, Jedi (been reading the Republic Commando books). We all know that Mandalorians and the Yuzhan Vong are like the only "races" that could ever stand up to force users. I know I'll be roleplaying a Mandalorian when the game comes out if they aren't already a playable class, which I doubt, since most died before/durring/after KotOR2.

TeeKup
June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 PM
I had to double take the dark jedi attacking the temple, could have sworn they were Revan clones.

n00b1n8R
June 4th, 2009, 01:36 AM
Perhaps they were :o!

Seriously though, of course they're going to have to wreck some of the cannon. If you let people play as Jedi and Sith - the ultimate Garry/Mary Sue's of the setting, nobody is going to bother with the other classes unless they're equally OP.

PwN Lone
June 4th, 2009, 03:28 AM

Wrong.

Trooper Documentary, involves Trooper Gameplay:
http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/devdispatch003

4 Planets in-game: Korriban, Tython, Nal Hutta and Ord Mantell.
http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/devdispatch002

The First and Oldest video to the public, also shows gameplay:
http://www.swtor.com/media/vidcasts/viddoc001

And in answer to your question, I do not know.

@noobinator: They're not breaking canon to have this. The game is based a couple of hundred years after KOTOR 1 and 2, right after when the Sith re-emerged and attacked the Jedi Temple, forcing the Republic to sign the Treaty of Coruscant (Name?). The game is based right before the next war broke out, where numerous border skirmishes were happening on both sides. Now whether as to half way during the main quest, the war actually 'does' break out, nobody knows. If they do do this however, it will open up a lot of potential large battles they could show.

n00b1n8R
June 4th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I mean they'd break (more like bend though) the cannon by making individuals capable of going toe to toe with a force user commonplace. That just doesn't happen anywhere else. Not even fucking Han Solo messes with Sith, that's why he needs his babysitter Leia.

PwN Lone
June 4th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I mean they'd break (more like bend though) the cannon by making individuals capable of going toe to toe with a force user commonplace. That just doesn't happen anywhere else. Not even fucking Han Solo messes with Sith, that's why he needs his babysitter Leia.

Ohhhhhh. Yeah, well, the classes they have now, are more than capable of going toe-to-toe with a jedi or sith.

Troopers are the special forces of the Republic, explosives, and VERY big guns.

Bounty Hunters: Flamethrowers and wrist rocket launcher, nuff said. Not to mention those handy poison darts.

Pooky
June 4th, 2009, 09:49 AM

You can understand why he wouldn't, since his first experience involved Darth Vader blocking blaster shots with his hands.

blind
June 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
If you had to say it was a known Sith Lord, it looks a bit like Malek, but not much (and Malek never attacked the temple).

Malak*

Rentafence
June 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Wrong.

-links-

Well, I'll be damned. It still looked turn based in the first two, though.

PwN Lone
June 5th, 2009, 05:49 AM
Well, I'll be damned. It still looked turn based in the first two, though.

Well, at this case, I think we need to just have faith in the dev's (like that ever ends well) that they'll make it as real-time as possible. But one thing I did notice, the combat system is definetly a step up from WoW and SWG though. Which is still good :)

n00b1n8R
June 5th, 2009, 11:21 PM
You can understand why he wouldn't, since his first experience involved Darth Vader blocking blaster shots with his hands.
Nobody said meeting the parents was meant to be easy vOv