PDA

View Full Version : Video Tearing

AAA
June 2nd, 2009, 07:01 PM
Help, It constantly happens in Crysis, Halo 2, Left 3 Dead, and Everything else 3D That I play except for Halo CE/PC.

I have a Radeon HD 4770 and it was only recognized by my motherboard when I installed the 9.5 Catalyst Driver, Windows 7 May have a pre-release Driver for this Card, but it's not telling me...

Can anyone help me understand and how to solve these issues?? +rep reward.

Thank you.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/3438/problemeqp.jpg

Limited
June 2nd, 2009, 07:07 PM
Has it always had visual tearing on Windows 7?

StankBacon
June 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
happens to me in l4d, no other games.

AAA
June 2nd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Has it always had visual tearing on Windows 7?

No, it started doing this after I installed the driver. I had an NVIDIA 6150 onboard GPU before and it never tor.

Syuusuke
June 2nd, 2009, 09:27 PM
http://www.tweakforce.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=20

Try these (32 bit or 64bit)

paladin
June 2nd, 2009, 09:39 PM
L4D has a film grain function. Turn it off.

AAA
June 3rd, 2009, 09:07 AM
L4D has a film grain function. Turn it off.

Doesn't help. I'll try the driver after school today. Thanks.

EDIT: Driver was no help. Maybe I'll just have to wait for Catalyst

343guiltymc
June 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Aww, at least you got a 4770. I ordered one and am still waiting for one because apparently they are all out of stock. You may have just gotten a bad card or something.

Limited
June 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking theres just no stable release for Windows 7 available. Or perhaps the setup you have is messing it up, considering Windows 7 is still in testing and there is bound to be issues with drivers and what not.

Have you tried running the DXDiag tests? Do they run fine, also is it just OpenGL or DX games it happens to, or is it a combination?

AAA
June 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking theres just no stable release for Windows 7 available. Or perhaps the setup you have is messing it up, considering Windows 7 is still in testing and there is bound to be issues with drivers and what not.

Have you tried running the DXDiag tests? Do they run fine, also is it just OpenGL or DX games it happens to, or is it a combination?

There are a number of possibilities, but I'm building up from the experience I've had before when setting up a High-End graphics card in my little brother's computer. He has the same system specs as me and I was putting his Geforce 250 in. I put in there, booted her up and the onboard GPU was gone (Remeber, the onboard GPU is a Geforce 6150) and When we went to windows, everything on graphics was very low standard, so we went to Windows Update, It searched and found a Geforce 250 Pre-Release driver and his onboard GPU was disabled. No wear or tear when gaming.

Now, when I put mine in, it went along it's regular business as to use the onboard GPU, so I don't know if it's an NVIDIA thing to relieve itself of duty when recognizing another Geforce card or what. Wasn't automatically disabled and it didn't recognize the new card I put in. So I download 9.4 Catalyst (which was the only thing available to work slightly correct) and it was giving me tearing. I lived with it for a few days because I knew 9.5 was coming out, but they had only issued official 4770 support and DVD playback corrections?? So, there was obviously nothing there about a corrective rendering or anything like that. I'm here with the card, It's AMAZING. I'm busting through Crysis like it was Halo CE Getting an average 46FPS on a 1280x1024 screen, which is moderate, but I'm hoping to get a 1080p monitor sometime within the year. But, the issue is the tearing. Could this be due to the Driver? My Motherboard? or even my CARD? The Card seems fine, so I could rule that out.

Other note...
Windows 7 RC1 32bit (Guess what guys? RC2 is coming out June 11th)
DirectX 11 (beta?) but only capable of 10.1 (not bad at All)
DirectX seems fine, no errors.
All of my games run on DirectX, don't know one that doesn't.

You are right about Windows 7 still being an unstable system, it's only expected during the RC stages.

Any more ideas?

Limited
June 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
Well my computer all 3d games has some tearing, bits of model that should be there are missing and see through. It wasnt a new gfx card though so it might just be getting old (probably like a year or two old).

It might be the actual settings of the card thats funking up the visuals. I dont know anything about the ATI settings, Nvidia as you know had the control panel where you could turn on and tweak the settings.

Does ATI have any thing like that? I'd check that make sure everything seems to be okay. Maybe you can manually turn on vsync.

Warsaw
June 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Perhaps heat is playing a role in this? I know excessive heat causes artifacting, so maybe this is a prelude to that.

AAA
June 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Dude, I just a bought a new case with 3x120mm fans and a controller. My graphics card is running at 40 degrees C and CPU is running at 40 degrees C
Airflow is good, I'm confident in the heat structure...

AAA
June 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
Well my computer all 3d games has some tearing, bits of model that should be there are missing and see through. It wasnt a new gfx card though so it might just be getting old (probably like a year or two old).

It might be the actual settings of the card thats funking up the visuals. I dont know anything about the ATI settings, Nvidia as you know had the control panel where you could turn on and tweak the settings.

Does ATI have any thing like that? I'd check that make sure everything seems to be okay. Maybe you can manually turn on vsync.

Sorry for double post. THANK YOU. I will try everything at default.

EDIT: nothing changed, I had settings to application defaullt.

It might be the driver?

Syuusuke
June 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
You could try older drivers (dont go below 8.12 or whatever the 4770 initial driver set is, I think some of your games require at least 8.12...not sure).

Where would you begin? No idea.If you have the patience... Try all.