PDA

View Full Version : Halo: Reach

Corndogman
June 2nd, 2009, 09:15 PM
Well, looking at this (http://www.bungie.net/images/games/Reach/background.jpg) image, you can see the silhouettes of a few different characters on the bottom.

This is merely speculation, but could the games multiplayer component be class based? From the image, there appears to be a heavy weapons-like type of guy, a sniper, a regular infantry guy (assault or whatever) and two others, maybe flamethrower or something.

I just kind of thought this, because they're having the multiplayer beta when ODST comes out, and wondered why they had those characters on the bottom, other than that it looks good. We don't know much about the campaign yet, so they could have put those characters as a sort of hint.

But, this is just an Idea, maybe it is or isn't class based, but I think it would be kind of interesting to see.

I guess we'll find out sometime in the next few months, thoughts?

Advancebo
June 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I dont think Bungie would change the way the game feels.

sdavis117
June 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
After all these games? Yes, they would. I wouldn't be surprised to find that Reach is Battlefield 2552.

paladin
June 2nd, 2009, 09:35 PM
RPG

sdavis117
June 2nd, 2009, 09:38 PM
So a Mass Effect rip-off like game?

Advancebo
June 2nd, 2009, 09:52 PM
TF2 4 teh lulz

jngrow
June 2nd, 2009, 11:18 PM
Doubt the class based shooter thing... Spartans are good at everything- yes, some are better at other things than others... but to have any class (spartan) particularly bad at something would be kinda not Spartan-like.

paladin
June 2nd, 2009, 11:29 PM
Well, it could be like Halo Wars, have Spartans in the announcement trailer, then have them SUCK ingame.

TVTyrant
June 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Could be more like a tactical game. With squad style stuff and everything?

FRain
June 2nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
We don't even know what kind of game Halo: Reach is. All we know is it takes place around the time reach got nuked (glassed) and Spartans are in there. It could be an RTS, FPS, MMORPG (i would fucking kill bungie if it was) or even a third-person shooter.

Masterz1337
June 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Well since all evidence points AGAINT a covie attack, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a totally different type of game.

TVTyrant
June 3rd, 2009, 12:17 AM
Well since all evidence points AGAINT a covie attack, it wouldn't surprise me if this is a totally different type of game.
Flight simulation perhaps?

Heathen
June 3rd, 2009, 12:30 AM
Flight simulation perhaps?
perhaps not

its a Jackal game.

You are the Jackal leader "Birdman"

You were a sideproject to subject a jackal to the spartan augmentation, training, and armor.

You fucking pwn.

jngrow
June 3rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
It'll be interesting to see how Bungie creates motivation to play the game/progress through story, because ultimately, you do fail.

TVTyrant
June 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM
perhaps not

its a Jackal game.

You are the Jackal leader "Birdman"

You were a sideproject to subject a jackal to the spartan augmentation, training, and armor.

You fucking pwn.
OMFG!!!! ROFLMAO!!!! LMAI, that right!
LMAI
aysn
u s
g
h
i
n
g

E:Must spread rep??? FUCK U!!!

p0lar_bear
June 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Team Fortress 3: Reach

SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION! SPARTAN-999 REQUESTING A DISPENSER AT MY LOCATION!

FRain
June 3rd, 2009, 08:17 AM
HAHA.

=sw=warlord
June 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Well from the looks of it atleast two of the figures are spartans due to the sillouette, i wouldnt be too suprised if this game was like the call of duty series with class based gameplay.
After all in the books there were spartans who preffered one style over another such as linda with sniping and will for explosives.

Kornman00
June 3rd, 2009, 08:39 AM
Drawing conclusions from what I've previously known, Reach will still be in the Blam engine. So unless they augment the engine for such a design, I doubt it will be a class based shooter. However, the Fire Fight system of ODST may be leading into what Reach will be about (but with Spartans of course)

Limited
June 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Wanna know the real kicker? Xbox 360 and PC dual release.

beele
June 3rd, 2009, 01:08 PM

You joking? if not source please :)

Limited
June 3rd, 2009, 01:30 PM
You joking? if not source please :)
No source, my theory. I just added 2 and 2 together.

=sw=warlord
June 3rd, 2009, 01:44 PM
Heh class based halo, i can see it now everyone having the assault rifle as their main gun and putting double tap on it.

Heathen
June 3rd, 2009, 01:46 PM
No source, my theory. I just added 2 and 2 together.
Lol, rumormill.

dark navi
June 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
Mabye a MMORPGFPSRTS?

Corndogman
June 3rd, 2009, 02:10 PM
Ah, good input guys. Like I said it was just speculation. I think A tactical shooter would be a little more likely though.

All I know is that I somewhat hope it wont be the same old halo gameplay. Not that its bad but it will get repetitive. We already know that ODST is going to be the same as Halo 3, so I hope they go a different direction with Reach.

Rosco
June 3rd, 2009, 03:44 PM
Or it's just a squad of Spartans.. like in Halo 3 ODST.

Rook
June 3rd, 2009, 05:08 PM

What. :D

Arteen
June 3rd, 2009, 05:28 PM
Ah, good input guys. Like I said it was just speculation. I think A tactical shooter would be a little more likely though.

All I know is that I somewhat hope it wont be the same old halo gameplay. Not that its bad but it will get repetitive. We already know that ODST is going to be the same as Halo 3, so I hope they go a different direction with Reach.
Same, Halo 1 through ODST all have the same basic feel. I'm hoping this game will be fresh.

mech
June 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
It's a fighting game.

Terry
June 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
It's an FPS: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/03/halo-reach-is-an-fps/

It took a little doing on our part, but we've finally got a new detail for you about Halo: Reach. Are you ready for this? It's an FPS. Actually, Microsoft's John Schappert told us "Of course it's an FPS," which seemed a little cheeky from a company that recently released a Halo RTS. But who are we to judge?

So, there you go. FPS. And also ... no, that's it. But hey, it's something, right?

Advancebo
June 3rd, 2009, 09:00 PM
"Microsoft's"?
I thought Bungie was working on this.

Heathen
June 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM
Haha, oh man a Halo fighter.

Awesome.

Too bad its another fps

TeeKup
June 3rd, 2009, 10:59 PM
Why didn't Halo die with it's 3rd game like every normal game out there. :gonk:

=sw=warlord
June 4th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Why didn't Halo die with it's 3rd game like every normal game out there. :gonk:
Call of duty?
unreal?
list goes on.
Personaly im glad their making another halo game after ODST.

PwN Lone
June 4th, 2009, 04:00 AM
It's an FPS: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/03/halo-reach-is-an-fps/

Damnit, I wanted a Halo driving game.

Seriously though, just because its been announced as an fps doesn't rule out the possibility of it being a class shooter. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a Halo game some-what similar to TF2. What I would mind seeing, or rather hearing, is what p0lar posted however :(

Pooky
June 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Call of duty?
unreal?
list goes on.

Final motherfucking Fantasy. >_<

ICEE
June 4th, 2009, 10:29 AM

Mario
zelda
metroid
half life (the episodes freaking count.)

at least bungie did the important thing and put down the chief.

Advancebo
June 4th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe its an adventure FPS...

PwN Lone
June 4th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Maybe its an adventure FPS...

Yeah, like Super Mario, except you have a big-ass horde of extra-terrestial Aliens wanting to kill you every second of the game. *goes and writes down idea for new Super Mario game*

Honestly though, I hope it is a class based shooter, sort of like SW: Battlefront. Not the second though, because, besides space, it was a pile of crap.

Donut
June 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
wow hey up until at least 7 they were pretty good. red mage ftw

NullZero
June 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Am relieved to hear that it is a FPS. Ordering spartans around is up my back alley.

English Mobster
June 4th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I, too, speculated that it would be class-based. The Spartan could be like, TF2's Heavy, and then maybe have like an ODST as the Scout, or something.

Corndogman
June 4th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Yeah, thats more or less what I was thinking Mobster. The bulky spartan on the left in the image is afaik an EOD armored spartan who is just really bulky, he'd be the heavy.

I pretty much assumed it'd be an FPS, I'm just hoping the gameplay is different than classic halo. It could still be class based and an FPS, or some other style.

Anyways, I have a new speculation about the games campaign:

Thought about Reach:

Perhaps you just play through the story of the fall of reach, as a spartan most likely, whether it be 117 or not. The campaign plays until the planet is glassed, then does a "___ years later" thing. You pick up where halo 3 left off, the planet is Reach, and you end up rescuing the lost spartans from when the planet was glassed or something.

Personally, I think that would be fucking awesome.

p0lar_bear
June 4th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Most likely not happening that way. You do know what it means for a planet to be glassed?

Corndogman
June 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Well I've always heard people saying there was a possibility of some spartans surviving it. I know what it means, but once again it was merely speculation.

Jean-Luc
June 4th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Even a spartan couldn't survive the glassing of every inch of the planet's surface, and the boiling of the atmosphere.

English Mobster
June 4th, 2009, 10:54 PM
Some Spartans escaped, though. One of the Halo books (First Strike? Or maybe it was The Fall of Reach?) explains how some of the Spartans managed to get off-planet.

Jean-Luc
June 4th, 2009, 10:57 PM
It was First Strike, but that was just because the Covenant were searching for an artifact, so they did not glass that portion of Reach.

ODX
June 4th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Why, for any single second, would anyone think a Halo game with Bungie involved wouldn't be an FPS? I mean, they only revolutionized the genre with their unique touches and sold millions of copies of the games while doing so. It'll be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

Jean-Luc
June 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I mean, they only revolutionized the genre with their unique touches and sold millions of copies of the games while doing so.
I could do a horrifically detailed and angry rant about the bold statement, but I'll keep it a short answer. I don't think Halo revolutionized ANYTHING other than having recharging shields.

That said, you are right about Bungie having a tried-and-true formula, and it definitely wouldn't make sense for them to change it, at least not much.

=sw=warlord
June 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I could do a horrifically detailed and angry rant about the bold statement, but I'll keep it a short answer. I don't think Halo revolutionized ANYTHING other than having recharging shields.

That said, you are right about Bungie having a tried-and-true formula, and it definitely wouldn't make sense for them to change it, at least not much.
Well if i remember correctly it was halo for the xbox that finaly resolved the fps aiming issues with consoles, i remember playing games like golden eye and not being able to look up very accurately and then halo came along and i found it very easy to control the camera.

p0lar_bear
June 5th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Well if i remember correctly it was halo for the xbox that finaly resolved the fps aiming issues with consoles, i remember playing games like golden eye and not being able to look up very accurately and then halo came along and i found it very easy to control the camera.

Yeah, about the only thing Halo had going for it was that it was a very accessible console FPS. The aim assistance, control scheme, recharging shields over health, and the fact that grenades were tied to a dedicated button (as opposed to being a seperate weapon) are what made it appealing.

Pooky
June 5th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah, about the only thing Halo had going for it was that it was a very accessible console FPS. The aim assistance, control scheme, recharging shields over health, and the fact that grenades were tied to a dedicated button (as opposed to being a seperate weapon) are what made it appealing.

Not to mention the materials system, advanced (for the time) AI, unusually deep plot for an FPS, and the slightly tactical two-weapon system.

Disaster
June 5th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Even a spartan couldn't survive the glassing of every inch of the planet's surface, and the boiling of the atmosphere.
They didn't glass every inch because the surface contained forerunner artifacts. Some areas were left unglassed because of this. Atleast thats what I remember reading in First Strike.

Cortexian
June 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
A class based game COULD be cool if they did it anywhere near as good as TF2... Unfortunately all I know for sure is that it's a FPS that takes place during the fall of Reach, possibly with tie-ins to "The Fall of Reach" novel.

.Wolf™
June 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM
They didn't glass every inch because the surface contained forerunner artifacts. Some areas were left unglassed because of this. Atleast thats what I remember reading in First Strike.
Which he also said before..Read.

n00b1n8R
June 20th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Why, for any single second, would anyone think a Halo game with Bungie involved wouldn't be an FPS? I mean, they only revolutionized the genre with their unique touches and sold millions of copies of the games while doing so. It'll be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

I mean, they only revolutionized the genre with their unique touches and sold millions of copies of the games while doing so. It'll be interesting to see how this one unfolds.

I mean, they only revolutionized the genre with their unique touches and sold millions of copies of the games while doing so.

revolutionized the genre
This is a troll post, isn't it?
Nobody actually thinks like this, right?
:ohdear:

Kornman00
June 23rd, 2009, 09:18 AM
This is a troll post, isn't it?
Nobody actually thinks like this, right?
:ohdear:
How many FPSs before Halo1 had vehicles in their MP engines that weren't total shit? How many FPSs actually had such a large community following before then that including homebrew modding? How many FPSs actually implemented saved films of both your campaign and multiplayer action? I'm sure others can dive deeper into the exact concepts they tweaked and improved upon. Improvements are still revolutionary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/revolutionary). They don't have to be fucking BLOW-YOUR-PANTS-OFF-AND-FUCK-YOUR-MOTHER-REMOTELY-VIA-AN-INTERNET-CONNECTION new shit to be revolutionary. Any idea, no matter how small, has a ripple effect to all others. What they do changes the thoughts of others around them who play their games and who compete for their players.

Pooky
June 23rd, 2009, 09:36 AM
Well, tbqh, Half-Life was revolutionary. Halo was evolutionary (get the pun).

=sw=warlord
June 23rd, 2009, 10:40 AM
Well, tbqh, Half-Life was revolutionary. Halo was evolutionary (get the pun).
Im still not sure how half life was revolutionary, i have the original pc copy as well as the orange box and i can't really see what all the fuzz is, maybe im just used to duke nukem 3d for psx. :ohdear:

klange
June 23rd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Im still not sure how half life was revolutionary, i have the original pc copy as well as the orange box and i can't really see what all the fuzz is, maybe im just used to duke nukem 3d for psx. :ohdear:
It was the use of math and science to further the story and present challenges to the player... but not many good games did that afterwards. Just Half-Life's own sequels...

p0lar_bear
June 23rd, 2009, 10:55 AM
It was the use of math and science to further the story and present challenges to the player... but not many good games did that afterwards. Just Half-Life's own sequels...

Only if you read more into the universe past what the game presents. Nothing truly scientific was presented to Gordon throughout the games past all of the physics puzzles in Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

Hell, Barney pokes fun at that fact at the beginning of Half-Life 2 when the teleporter gets unplugged and you plug it back in. "Yeah, I can see that MIT education is really paying off."

Resident Evil's plant boss had more science to it than HL.

Rosco
June 23rd, 2009, 05:27 PM
Only if you read more into the universe past what the game presents. Nothing truly scientific was presented to Gordon throughout the games past all of the physics puzzles in Half-Life 2 and its episodes.

Hell, Barney pokes fun at that fact at the beginning of Half-Life 2 when the teleporter gets unplugged and you plug it back in. "Yeah, I can see that MIT education is really paying off."

Just a scientific man forced into a situation he shouldn't be in, :p

ICEE
June 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM

Halo was the first FPS i ever played with controls that made sense. I had also never gotten to use melee without being out of ammo before. Sticking grenades were a cool idea I hadn't seen, plus the ability to drive vehicles in third person, allies riding with you... A multitude of different and unique enemies that would not only fight you, they fought each other. All in all, halo is a very well thought out game that implements a lot of different features and weaponry while still maintaining a simple interface that made it comfortable to players new to the genre. It receives a lot of badmouthing from players who are still upset about the dramatic change of halo 1 to halo 3 (not all of these changes were really positive), and from anyone who is a die hard of another game in the genre. Its not fair to compare halo to newer games, as a lot of people do. Many games built off of halo's ideals and learned from its flaws.

p0lar_bear
June 23rd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Many games built off of halo's ideals and learned from its flaws.I'd just like to put here that I share the sentiment with Yahtzee that it's Halo's fault entirely for the death of the health meter in most modern FPSs. :(

It's not so much that games are using that feature, but that it's caused an increase of games where you play as a supersoldier with regenerating health, or it's been misused, put on player characters where it makes no sense or breaks the point of the character, like Faith in Mirror's Edge. She's an unarmed, somewhat fragile acrobat who winds up with more lead in her than a war veteran by the end of the game yet she can still pull off whacky acrobatics no matter what.

ICEE
June 23rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
As if that were actually halo's "fault". If other game designers copy that idea, let them. There are games that have taken the concept further to create a more balanced feel (farcry2)

klange
June 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
If anything, that's Halo 2's fault. Halo has a health meter, remember ;)
e: And most people miss the fact that Halo 2 and Halo 3 still have health, you just don't get a meter for it.

ICEE
June 23rd, 2009, 09:07 PM
^ and it regenerates anyways.

Pooky
June 23rd, 2009, 10:17 PM

Uhh... not really.

Every FPS before Half-Life was pretty much an utterly unrealistic bunny hopping rocket fest. Half-Life changed everything up by providing a (comparatively) realistic and immersive experience. A somewhat believable plot, somewhat realistic weapons, NPCs that had a role other than just dying, and so on. That was a huge change compared to games like DOOM and Quake.

t3h m00kz
June 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, and Marathon were all revolutionary for their times as well. Each had their own unique implementations.

Wolfenstein and Doom speak for themselves, couple of the first FPSes in existance, Doom even brought about ESRB, Quake brought a new standard of graphics and sparked the arena-style deathmatch fest that went on durring those years, and Marathon (1 at least) brought in features like reloading and radars as well as some pretty impressive visuals.

Every game nowadays having that "recharging health" does get kind of annoying though tbh... health packs have always been a huge part of FPSes until Halo came along.

Warsaw
June 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM
^Halo 2, not Halo.

As far as I am concerned, the mechanic in Halo 2 changed so greatly from Halo 1 that they can't be considered the same; Halo 1 requires some strategy, where as Halo 2 can be played aggressively with little thought put into anything...same can be said of Halo 3 (though I do think it is an improvement over Halo 2). I hope this new game is a more tactical FPS, maybe with some Rainbow Six or GoW inspired elements thrown in. I don't want an assault rifle that sprays like a mother and does fuck all damage to the target, that's not how modern military weapons work. Also, darker, grittier, more realistic feel would be appreciated. Halo is pretty good already, but it is a bit comical.

As for the Reach being glassed thing mentioned way back, some of the Spartans survived because the Covenant left the region around the equator intact in order to excavate the crystal underneath CASTLE.

Pooky
June 26th, 2009, 12:53 AM
Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, and Marathon were all revolutionary for their times as well. Each had their own unique implementations.

Wolfenstein and Doom speak for themselves, couple of the first FPSes in existance, Doom even brought about ESRB, Quake brought a new standard of graphics and sparked the arena-style deathmatch fest that went on durring those years, and Marathon (1 at least) brought in features like reloading and radars as well as some pretty impressive visuals.

Every game nowadays having that "recharging health" does get kind of annoying though tbh... health packs have always been a huge part of FPSes until Halo came along.

Again, people like to throw around the term 'revolution' way too much where it's not appropriate. DOOM is by no means a bad game, but to call it a 'revolution' compared to Wolfenstein just doesn't make sense. DOOM took the concept of Wolfenstein and evolved it to the next level, Quake did the same to DOOM.

Warsaw
June 27th, 2009, 02:14 AM
And Half-Life did the same to Quake, to be honest. They both have puzzles of sorts, it's just that Half-Life took it to another level...hell, Half-Life even uses the Quake II engine (in modified form).

=sw=warlord
June 27th, 2009, 08:13 AM
The only revolutionary game i can think off is portal and thats due to the portal code they used allowing you to stand in between the portals of different parts of the bsp.

Arteen
June 27th, 2009, 08:34 AM
I hate games without some form of regenerating health. In games like HL2, if I make some sort of mistake (it happens), I might end up with ~10 health and still have to play through some firefight to get to another health pack, when I'd have a much easier time just resetting to the last checkpoint and playing the segment over again. The Halo 1 system works really well, because I do get punished for mistakes, but I still have a reasonable chance to get through the next battles.

I'd rather concentrate on each individual battle than on health management and trying not to lose so much heath that I'm better-off reverting to the last checkpoint. I'm glad all the Halo games, and stuff like Mirror's Edge, Gears of War, and Mass Effect have shield-like systems. Even the Metroid Prime games avoid the issue by giving the player a lot of health and having enemies sometimes drop extra health.

Warsaw
June 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
We had this discussion about health a while ago in another thread...

=|

Saggy
June 29th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I though this wasi interesting:

The Seattle Times article also touches on the future of Bungie and a bit more on the little known Halo game Reach.
Bungie told the paper that they got an early look at Project Natal. Studio head Harold Ryan said it could be used in "Reach." "I absolutely think 'Reach' could be enabled with it," he said.
Source: http://kotaku.com/5303624/halo-odst-features-an-open-world-reach-could-use-natal-tech

I wonder how they would pull of an FPS game using Natal? I would definately be interesting nonetheless

Warsaw
June 29th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Jog in place to run, and the game will detect a trigger finger motion to shoot...:lol:.

Delta4907
June 30th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I though this wasi interesting:

Source: http://kotaku.com/5303624/halo-odst-features-an-open-world-reach-could-use-natal-tech

I wonder how they would pull of an FPS game using Natal? I would definately be interesting nonetheless

As long as you can still use a controller, I'm Ok with this. I'm not someone to do odd motions in front of their TV, especially when it's a small TV like mine.

Masterz1337
July 1st, 2009, 09:20 AM
It be cool if you could like use your hand to like wave your marines to go to a location or signal something in MP. I think Halo should always be primarily be played with a controller.

Hotrod
July 1st, 2009, 02:27 PM
I think I speak for almost everybody here when I say that FPS games and Project Natal don't quite go together, and if we can't use a controller, then this game will fail. I don't know about you guys, but sometimes after a long, tiring shift at work, I don't feel like coming home and jumping up and down, but rather sit down, relax, and control the guy on the screen with the energy-consuming and easier to use controller.

So in short, Halo + Natal = no.

Masterz1337
July 1st, 2009, 02:31 PM
The game isn't going to be natal centric, they have like 13 months more to work on it before it has to be mass produced.

Heathen
July 1st, 2009, 02:34 PM
I think, like masters said, it will be used to make gestures.
Besides, who wouldn't love to be playing mp, and give some killstealing asshole the one fingered salute?

Hotrod
July 1st, 2009, 04:28 PM
The game isn't going to be natal centric, they have like 13 months more to work on it before it has to be mass produced.
I know it won't, but I'm just saying what people would think if it did end up being like that, at least from what I've heard. I guess there's nothing we can really do about it though anyway.

Rosco
July 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I think if they use natal in this, it will probably just be a motion-axis style thing, where you can swing the controller to melee like in CoD3 on PS3.

sdavis117
July 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
Halo Reach with Project Natal you say?

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/acen_otaku_sexiness/KILL%20IT%20WITH%20FIRE!.jpg

paladin
July 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM
lAi1wrlueTA

hrmmmm

Saggy
July 10th, 2009, 09:19 PM
This guy (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?u=1793) made it...

Just guessing...

klange
July 10th, 2009, 09:22 PM
This guy (http://www.modacity.net/forums/member.php?u=1793) made it...

Just guessing...
Well, he did upload it (Profile says "Name: Dark Navi")...

sdavis117
July 10th, 2009, 09:26 PM
He flipped the Teaser upside down, and slowed it down, then played Halo Wars music in the background (We're Burning Sunshine to be more specific).

I doubt that Halo Reach is that far yet.

dark navi
July 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
He flipped the Teaser upside down, and slowed it down, then played Halo Wars music in the background (We're Burning Sunshine to be more specific).

I doubt that Halo Reach is that far yet.

Shhh... Don't ruin my mirror image...

Terry
July 12th, 2009, 07:53 PM
The technology behind Halo reach http://www.gameguru.in/first-person-shooters/2009/11/the-technology-powering-halo-reach/ .

Halo 3 was really fun to play but the technology powering it seemed a little late for 2007, even though it featured some of the largest landfill arenas in modern day shooters. The newest addition in the series, which places the player in the shoes of an orbital drop shock trooper whose mission is to recover fragments of his teammates who disappeared during the events of New Mombasa, utilizes a modified version of the original Halo 3 engine.

Halo: Reach is being propagated as the next game to use technology that packs a wallop and this is what is being discussed as being put into the new engine that is being developed for the game. These features were spoken extensively at this years’ GDC conference with reference to DX11 technology:

Tessellators with close to 30K characters to achieve cinematic quality features.

The Hull Shader to patch control points in order to modify the behavioral pattern of the tessellator.

Domain Shader to optimize performance of the output of the GPU in order to mitigate bandwidth use.

These features allow real-time display of real-time images which are otherwise not achieved making creation of objects in the world easier for programmers whilst saving up on a limited memory module. Silhouette elaboration and terrain rendering whose objects offer a healthy degree of curvature.

All this allows for a visually heavy game in the Halo series. More as time elapses.

Kornman00
July 13th, 2009, 03:44 AM
I wouldn't be surprsied if they up'd the max allowable players in Reach either

PwN Lone
July 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Eh, I wont be happy unless its 60 players max per match. 30 on each team.

Hotrod
July 13th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Am I the only one hoping that Reach is a similar type of game as Star Wars : Battlefront, even if just a bit?

Kornman00
July 13th, 2009, 11:38 AM
yeah, something like that would be pretty cool

Eh, I wont be happy unless its 60 players max per match. 30 on each team.
It wouldn't be the same "halo" with 60 players :eyesroll:

Corndogman
July 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I think 32 players would be pretty good, 16 on each side.

Warsaw
July 14th, 2009, 01:35 AM
It ain't supposed to be the same Halo dude...we've had the same type of multiplay for 3 games going on 4; time for a switch. :D Though I think 60 is a little much, and an off-beat number to boot...usually games that support that many go to 64 players.

Heathen
July 14th, 2009, 01:49 AM
Honestly, if Reach is another FPS of the exact same caliber, I will be pissed.
Honestly, we have halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST. We don't need ANOTHER regular halo.

k4is3rxkh40s
July 14th, 2009, 02:36 AM

I for one hope that it is a class-based/tactical shooter. With either a spawn system like Halo Wars (Set number of ______ resources, marines take up few slots, stronger weapons take up more slots, then spartans take even more; wouldn't want it exactly like this, but at least it's something different) or Battlefield/SW: Battlefront. In which case you'd start with number of points and every death or area loss, the points would go down and the game would end when all the points are capped by one team and all soldiers are dead or one team's points have reached 0. May be a dream and left at that, but an inclusion of something like the Commander in Battlefield with much more of an RTS control a la Halo wars with AI/vehicle/supply spawning and squad control would be kinda cool. Just something to really refresh/renew the series

PwN Lone
July 14th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Am I the only one hoping that Reach is a similar type of game as Star Wars : Battlefront, even if just a bit?

I'm with ya on that one.

It wouldn't be the same "halo" with 60 players :eyesroll:

I think it would be kinda cool with 60 players actually. Have like a large objective based gamemode like Skirmish in Resistance2. That's fun as hell.

Masterz1337
July 14th, 2009, 03:10 PM

If anything Reach will be an extension of ODSTs style of halo. I think they realize they backed themselves into a corner with halo 2, which influenced halo 3. By making reach a prequel they can once again go back to the health system, not to mention they can have other Spartans in the game finally. I expect Reach to be similar to ODST but with Spartans and the classic Covenant.

FreedomFighter7
July 14th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Would everyone stop speculating that it will be as good or similar to TF2? TF2 isn't the only Class based shooter out there, and yes I know most of you play the game (I don't). So annoying. :tinfoil:

Warsaw
July 14th, 2009, 03:29 PM
I hope it's similar to TF Classic... :haw:.

Seriously, class-based or Battlefront-style play doesn't lend itself well to an actual campaign. Great for multiplayer, but I'd prefer the campaign be more Rainbow Six: Vegas style, with health packs.

Pooky
July 14th, 2009, 11:06 PM

Eh, I wouldn't be, as long as it was still good.

Halo 3 was a letdown to me in a lot of ways, I'm still hoping either ODST or this will make up for it.

paladin
July 15th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Reach with be like Tf2.

armoman92
July 18th, 2009, 12:20 PM
so no BR and no flood... hmmm.

ShadowSpartan
July 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
so no BR and no flood... hmmm.
The Battle Rifle existed back then, if you had read Contact Harvest you would know that. So there is a good chance it could be in the game.

As for the flood, there is always the possibility of them being in the game.

Alwin Roth
July 18th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Flood probably aren't gonna be shown... cause they didn't get on earth.

maybe the replacement for floods would be the space rebels.

=sw=warlord
July 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Flood probably aren't gonna be shown... cause they didn't get on earth.

On a UNSC Fortress planet?

Warsaw
July 19th, 2009, 11:10 PM
Flood probably aren't gonna be shown... cause they didn't get on earth. Lies, Floodgate comes to mind. =þ

:haw:

Masterz1337
July 20th, 2009, 09:46 AM
To be honest, maybe Bungie has moved on and is bored with the flood. They might be a classic part of the halo games, but since H1 people love fighting covies more than anything else.

English Mobster
July 20th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've been waiting for a Halo game with no Flood. I hate the bastards. I prefer the "Classic" kind of Halo combat, where it's just you, some Marines, and a Warthog, rather than the repetitiveness of every damn Flood level ever made.

Warsaw
July 20th, 2009, 08:43 PM
I dunno about you, but The Maw was pretty fun, and Keyes wasn't too terrible either. I think for flood levels they need to go with more of a horror style of gameplay, and put the swarms from H1 back in...you never see large swarms of infection forms after the first game.

But I digress, I don't think the Flood will be in this game anyways. It's too early in the timeline.

TeeKup
July 20th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I dunno about you, but The Maw was pretty fun, and Keyes wasn't too terrible either. I think for flood levels they need to go with more of a horror style of gameplay, and put the swarms from H1 back in...you never see large swarms of infection forms after the first game.

But I digress, I don't think the Flood will be in this game anyways. It's too early in the timeline.

Thats what we thought about Halo Wars.

AND WE ALL KNOW HOW GREAT THAT TURNED OUT.

For all you slow people out there that meant I hated Halo Wars. Loved the music, hated everything else.

Delta4907
July 20th, 2009, 10:25 PM
I thought Halo Wars was interesting. Might not have been the most canonical, but it's always nice to see Halo in a new genre. But they should NEVER completely abandon the FPS genre.

PlasbianX
July 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
After playing Mass Effect... id kill to see halo running the same as Mass Effect (with better combat) and less glitches :X

English Mobster
July 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM
The reason why I play Halo so much in the first place is because the Combat system in it is PERFECT. Most other FPS games (Republic Commando, COD4, even some TPS games like GTA4) are still awesome, but they fall flat on the combat system. It never feels right to me.
Halo, and, to a lesser extent, Star Wars: Battlefront, has ALWAYS felt right on the mark when it comes to combat. I can't tell what makes it different, but every movement seems more fluid. Now that I think about it, I can only think of ONE FPS shooter which can match Halo in terms of a combat system: TF2.
If Bungie were able to make a TF2-style game, it would be fucking awesome. I really hope that this is that game.

Warsaw
July 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
Forget about Half-Life 2? That game flows even better than Halo.

Also, combat only flowed well in Halo 1, the other two feel mushy and watered down.

Teek, I never played Halo Wars, so I wouldn't know. Consoles + RTS = NO.

p0lar_bear
July 21st, 2009, 02:31 AM
Forget about Half-Life 2? That game flows even better than Halo.

The key thing about combat flow is the number of weapons available to the player.

In Halo, you carry two weapons, two (four in Halo 3) grenade types, and one of each is readily available to be used at will. One button to swap weapons, another to swap grenades, and fire/alt-fire to use either.

TF2, each class has a primary, secondary, and melee weapon, and you can easily cycle through them (unless you're rolling Engineer or Spy, in which there's one or two extra items to trip over). Just scroll the mouse wheel or hit 1, 2, or 3.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, is a mess. Gordon carries half an armory with him, and god forbid you need to reach for your .357 when you're wielding grenades, especially if you're not good with weapon category hotkeys. I will admit that there is the "last weapon" and gravity gun hotkey, but I rarely find myself actually using those and instead cycling through my whole inventory for the weapon I want. What saves it, however, in single player is that each level encourages you to use a certain weapon to achieve your ends. HL2DM, you spawn with the G-Gun and a melee weapon, and you're rarely alive long enough to accumulate more than 2 weapons.

Kornman00
July 21st, 2009, 05:47 AM
In Halo, you carry two weapons, two (four in Halo 3) grenade types, and one of each is readily available to be used at will. One button to swap weapons, another to swap grenades, and fire/alt-fire to use either.

TF2, each class has a primary, secondary, and melee weapon, and you can easily cycle through them (unless you're rolling Engineer or Spy, in which there's one or two extra items to trip over). Just scroll the mouse wheel or hit 1, 2, or 3.

Half-Life 2, on the other hand, is a mess. Gordon carries half an armory with him, and god forbid you need to reach for your .357 when you're wielding grenades, especially if you're not good with weapon category hotkeys. I will admit that there is the "last weapon" and gravity gun hotkey, but I rarely find myself actually using those and instead cycling through my whole inventory for the weapon I want. What saves it, however, in single player is that each level encourages you to use a certain weapon to achieve your ends. HL2DM, you spawn with the G-Gun and a melee weapon, and you're rarely alive long enough to accumulate more than 2 weapons.
Not to mention you just compared a console based game to traditionally PC games...which have the favor of a keyboard with muy keylos

ICEE
July 21st, 2009, 07:53 PM
it seems to me that regardless of keyboard/controller, it is always more comfortable to have one button that you press to pick weapons. Now that does SUCK when you have more than 2 weapons (Killzone) but I'd rather hit Tab to switch weapons than pick a number anyday. The key thing for me is that numbers are too far out of the way, and im likely to hit the wrong one.

paladin
July 21st, 2009, 10:23 PM
IT would be pretty cool if it was Battle Field Halo

Warsaw
July 24th, 2009, 06:26 PM
IT would be pretty cool if it was Battle Field Halo

NO.

The genre is getting beat to death.

English Mobster
July 26th, 2009, 01:20 AM
Well. Reach IS the last Halo game from Bungie.
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4499

VGC: Obviously Halo Reach is on the way next from Bungie but what are your plans after that?
Lars: Reach will be our last Halo game. We are currently working on a new IP but obviously can't reveal anything at this stage. Reach is it for us.

Any other Halo games would be made by Microsoft. *Shudder* I hope Frankie can keep the franchise from turning into a cash cow.

Masterz1337
July 26th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Don't be so sure.

p0lar_bear
July 26th, 2009, 01:31 PM
If not a cash cow, they'd probably try to make it "realistic".

Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator: Halo Edition.

343guiltymc
July 26th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Well, if it's a Space sim, I might buy into that. There aren't a lot of those types of games lately.

Alwin Roth
July 27th, 2009, 08:11 PM
NO! You play as a civilian, (with a corny name, like the characters in dead rising) nothing to do with the UNSC or Spartans.

and ummm... sims life?

Kornman00
July 28th, 2009, 05:12 AM
and ummm... sims life?
(This) Spartan's Life :downs:

Mass
July 29th, 2009, 10:33 PM
They should make up some sort of cheesy sport they only play on starships in the Halo Universe and then make a game out of that.

Or they could let it die, like reasonable people.

il Duce Primo
July 29th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Didn't they say that Halo 3 would be the last halo game made by them?

Warsaw
July 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
They said it would be the end of the Chief's tale.

sdavis117
July 30th, 2009, 01:22 PM
And then they said that ODST would be their last Halo game.

Masterz1337
July 30th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'm sure we'll see

Halo 4 on the xbox 3.

Ki11a_FTW
July 31st, 2009, 12:10 AM
if it is actually named Halo 4 i will shoot myself
:suicide:

jcap
July 31st, 2009, 12:30 AM
Here's what I think:

Reach is going to be the tale of the Chief on Reach. It's going to take place before the events of Halo 1, of course. The game will end with you (Master Chief) boarding the Autumn and escaping Reach, just as the Halo 1 story begins (Reach is destroyed, you escape; "they fled, as we set fire to their planet"). The only alternative to this is EVERYONE DIES (but then it's lame and doesn't set up the Halo story at all).

Halo 4 is going to be developed for the next Xbox. There's too much money in it for Microsoft to just drop it. There's a couple of reasons they're not making it now. For one, they might need to explain more of the story before picking it up again. The trilogy was based a lot off of what we already knew, so maybe these games can create more questions and open up another story. Two, these games are "buying time". Microsoft KNOWS Halo 4 would be an absolute killer hit, and it would be the ultimate launch title for their console. By holding it off, they can release more games and make more money, while at the same time they're setting up a new story.

At least that's what I would do.

Heathen
July 31st, 2009, 12:37 AM
I'm sure we'll see

Halo 4 on the xbox 3.
This as already been confirmed.

I cant remember where though.

But MS said that they were waiting till the next box to do halo 4.

This worried me because it felt like that meant a new xbox was coming soon.

Masterz1337
July 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM
Here's to hoping bungie will want to do Halo 4 on X3. I think they'd want to though, imagine what they could do with all the upgrades.

=sw=warlord
August 1st, 2009, 06:45 AM
Jcap your forgetting one major thing.
The master chief was not on reach he went to a orbital station with 3 others and sent the rest of the spartans to reach.
I personaly think we will assume the role of another spartan this "spartan 259" in the fight on reach.
This would be the only game where i would be happy to see the good guys loose because we all know reach got glassed par a small patch imagine seeing from the ground as a spartan as covenant ships decend through the clouds and start burning the mountains arround you.
What a way to end a series of halo games...:neckbeard:

Roostervier
August 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
uhh

first of all, not all the spartans on reach die. second of all, whats this about a spartan 259? i havent been keeping up with this so if theyve shown something like that, whatever, but it makes no sense considering there were never that many.

Saggy
August 2nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
uhh

first of all, not all the spartans on reach die. second of all, whats this about a spartan 259? i havent been keeping up with this so if theyve shown something like that, whatever, but it makes no sense considering there were never that many.
Spartan 259 was mentioned in the trailer I think.

=sw=warlord
August 2nd, 2009, 05:42 PM
uhh

i realise not all spartans die i was reading first strike earlier actualy but many do indeed die and i personaly think watching reach get glassed from the ground level in the eyes on those who died would be an interesting end.
also spartan 259 was mentioned in the teaser.

Hotrod
August 2nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Wait, weren't there only 150 candidates for the Spartan-II program? That would mean that Sierra-259 and Sierre-320 (heard talking at 0:36) don't follow canon, right? Or am I just crazy?

=sw=warlord
August 3rd, 2009, 09:13 AM
Wait, weren't there only 150 candidates for the Spartan-II program? That would mean that Sierra-259 and Sierre-320 (heard talking at 0:36) don't follow canon, right? Or am I just crazy?
There were only 75 originaly but in first strike there was mention of the spartan 3's and although ghosts of onyx showed the development of one team it has not been stated how long the spartan 3 program had been running.
Also dont forget john is spartan 117 so yeah.
I personaly would like to think it is more to do with which place in order of candidates viewed is what their serial number is refferencing because if it started with only 75 children indoctrinated then surely the serials after 075 came from somewhere else.

dazman23
August 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
There were about 300 children tested to be in the Spartan II program but they did not have the resources to "recruit" them all so only about 75 were taken, John was taken because he was lucky.

Hotrod
August 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
There were only 75 originaly but in first strike there was mention of the spartan 3's and although ghosts of onyx showed the development of one team it has not been stated how long the spartan 3 program had been running.
Also dont forget john is spartan 117 so yeah.
I personaly would like to think it is more to do with which place in order of candidates viewed is what their serial number is refferencing because if it started with only 75 children indoctrinated then surely the serials after 075 came from somewhere else.
Yes, but there were over 75 candidates for the Spartan-II program, so the children were numbered before they were enlisted into the program, when they were still candidates. Also, according to The Fall Of Reach, there were only 150 candidates for the program, but only 75 made it in. So, it still stands that Spartans 259 and 320 don't fit into the publicly known lore.

Warsaw
August 3rd, 2009, 04:06 PM
There were 150 candidates you scrubs, half got screened out by the inspections, leaving 75 actual subjects. Half of those were fucked over by the augmentations, leaving you with 32, I believe. 30 died by the augmentation, and 13 were injured beyond normal service.

There should be no number above 150, but Bungie keeps breaking their own canon, unless there's another list not mentioned that was narrowed down to the 150 we know of.

=sw=warlord
August 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM
There were 150 candidates you scrubs, half got screened out by the inspections, leaving 75 actual subjects. Half of those were fucked over by the augmentations, leaving you with 32, I believe. 30 died by the augmentation, and 13 were injured beyond normal service.

There should be no number above 150, but Bungie keeps breaking their own canon, unless there's another list not mentioned that was narrowed down to the 150 we know of.
spartan 3 project?
Or even the next batch of spartan 2's remember cpo mendez and halsey did go off to train more recruits.

Warsaw
August 3rd, 2009, 06:23 PM
Spartan 3 was after Reach, because James (AKA Ambrose) didn't disappear until Reach. Therefore, the numbers can't represent Spartan 3s. As for the second batch, we never heard anything about it past that point. Anything is possible if you go that route.

=sw=warlord
August 3rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Spartan 3 was after Reach, because James (AKA Ambrose) didn't disappear until Reach. Therefore, the numbers can't represent Spartan 3s. As for the second batch, we never heard anything about it past that point. Anything is possible if you go that route.
Didnt ambrose disappear when he,kelly and a few others were off looking at some ship wreckage or something and it ended up being a prowler stealth?
Which i would guess would be before reach.

English Mobster
August 3rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
The date he disappeared was about 2535 or something around that time. A little less than 20 years before Reach.

=sw=warlord
August 3rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
The date he disappeared was about 2535 or something around that time. A little less than 20 years before Reach.
plenty of time for more spartans.

Hotrod
August 3rd, 2009, 08:06 PM
plenty of time for more spartans.
But it also said in Ghosts of Onyx that they didn't have enough suitable candidates to create a second wave of Spartan-IIs, so the project was canceled.

FRain
August 3rd, 2009, 08:30 PM
Also, guys Sierra != Spartan, although it is likely it is.

thehoodedsmack
August 3rd, 2009, 08:53 PM

I thought that was just the NATO alphabet. Sierra = S, eg. S117 Codenames. Who knows, though.

p0lar_bear
August 3rd, 2009, 10:10 PM
I thought that was just the NATO alphabet. Sierra = S, eg. S117 Codenames. Who knows, though.

I'm pretty sure it is. UNSC troops, much like what you'd expect from present day US troops, use the NATO alphabet.

Spartan (S) 117, "Sierra" 117
Pelicans E419 and V922, "Echo" 419 and "Victor" 922
Baby Kongs (BK, Brutes), "Bravo-Kilos"

Read some of the updates from Halo 3's development (or just read halopedia a bit) and look at the field quotes they threw in that supposedly come from UNSC personnel.

Heathen
August 3rd, 2009, 10:18 PM
how is this not locked yet eh?

English Mobster
August 3rd, 2009, 11:48 PM
Because it's still relevant?

=sw=warlord
August 4th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Halo 3 live action trailer the troops reffered to the masterchief as sierra 117, so yes. sierra != spartan.:eng101:

Saggy
September 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
With the release of Halo 3: ODST only a short time away, that has where most of the series' focus seems to have been recently. However, E3 saw the announcement of another Halo title from Bungie, subtitled "Reach." And according to the studio's Community Manager, Brian Jarrard, it could very well be their biggest game to date.

"Reach is going to be a tough project for us to wrap just because the scope is really big -- it's up there," he told G4TV.com. "It'll probably be our biggest game ever just in terms of the amount of people working on it and the expectations for it. I mean, it's a big deal for us."

G4TV.com's Patrick Klepek notes that they were under the impression that it would be a smaller spin-off not unlike ODST, but are now convinced by Jarrard's words that nothing could be further from the truth, "much bigger than I'd ever imagined."

"I know just for at least the next year our hardcore focus is going to be on getting Reach done and awesome and hopefully getting people excited about it," Jarrard said.

It is noted that while, as the title implies, ODST is built upon the Halo 3 engine, Reach is going to be a from-the-ground-up new experience, representing a major step forward in engine technology and a complete reinvention.

"Reach will be a full three-year cycle -- it's got all-new tech, akin to the change from Halo 2 to Halo 3," Jarrard said.

More of the interview with Jarrard from the Penny Arcade Expo can be found here (http://g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/61907/halo-3-odst/articles/68362/Halo-3-ODST-PAX-2009-Brian-Jarrard-Interview/), and it covers ODST, Reach, what might come after Reach, and Halo in general.
source: G4TV.com (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/699090/TheFeed.html?utm_source=g4tv&utm_medium=twitterblog&utm_campaign=so-0907-twitterthefeed-699090&cmpid=so-0907-twitterthefeed-699090)

The part about how there going to use all-new tech for this game really intrigues me. Hopefully this game will actually be 720p or higher.

Limited
September 12th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Rumors have it that it will use Project Natal. Good news though, cant wait to hear more info on it :D

sdavis117
September 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Rumors have it that it will use Project Natal. Good news though, cant wait to hear more info on it :D

Halo Reach with Project Natal you say?

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/acen_otaku_sexiness/KILL%20IT%20WITH%20FIRE!.jpg

ODX
September 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
That's kind of scary how ODST has been done since Spring :ohdear:

Quite amazing how fast they worked on it...and now everyone is working on Reach. Boy, it better be awesome.

Heathen
September 12th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Boy, it better be different.

s'all I'm sayin'.

Saggy
September 15th, 2009, 02:59 PM
According to various online sources, Microsoft has revealed that they will be showing a trailer for Halo Reach (unsure as to whether it'll be the same as E3 or a new trailer with *gasp* in-engine footage) at this years TGS (Tokyo Game Show). For those that don't know, TGS is taking place NEXT WEEK (Sept. 24th I think).

Needles
September 15th, 2009, 03:52 PM
According to various online sources, Microsoft has revealed that they will be showing a trailer for Halo Reach (unsure as to whether it'll be the same as E3 or a new trailer with *gasp* in-engine footage) at this years TGS (Tokyo Game Show). For those that don't know, TGS is taking place NEXT WEEK (Sept. 24th I think).
Would that be on G4?

Good_Apollo
September 15th, 2009, 05:34 PM
So are they going to stick to canon and actually bring everything back from Halo 1 on a new engine with the Reach story or are they just going to fuck everything and now suddenly the Covies and Humans have all new shit (again) and the MC has another new set of armor?

Warsaw
September 15th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Reach means Mk. V armour...they will graphically overhaul it, but it will be Mk. V. The MJOLNIR Mk. VI was really created as an excuse to change the way the Chief looked and how the game mechanics played out, as stated by Bungie.

Heathen
September 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Its not like bungie to break canon....then again, it sort of is.

Kornman00
September 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
The same can be said with any story writer tbh :nsmug:

can't people just drop the whole issue and just enjoy a fun game for once?

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Bungie wrote the cannon so they can do what ever they like.
Look at starwars for instance, the original jaba the hut was human then in remakes turned into a alien.

Good_Apollo
September 16th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Bungie wrote the cannon so they can do what ever they like.
Look at starwars for instance, the original jaba the hut was human then in remakes turned into a alien.Yeah but that Jabba never made it onto the screen, hardly canon.

oh sorry i didn't realise it must be on screen to be classed as cannon.:downs:
It was never in any movie, it was a deleted scene...so yeah.

And since every iteration of Jabba that has ever been seen or talked about in any form has always been what we know him as now, I would hardly consider the fact that he was human for a scene be canon that was never used again until after all three films were completed and the slug Jabba had already been shown as such.

/End.

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Yeah but that Jabba never made it onto the screen, hardly canon.
oh sorry i didn't realise it must be on screen to be classed as canon.:downs:

p0lar_bear
September 16th, 2009, 05:16 AM
And those two posts are why I hate the term "canon".

This is not a troll post.

Seriously.

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2009, 05:27 AM
And those two posts are why I hate the term "canon".

This is not a troll post.

Seriously.
Come on p0lar, surely you can do one of your famous long ass posts explaining in detail why something is true and why something isnt'.

Kornman00
September 16th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Come on p0lar, surely you can do one of your famous long ass posts explaining in detail why something is true and why something isnt'.

true == true

false != true

Savvy :realsmug:?

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2009, 06:39 AM
gb2grenande korn:realsmug:

Heathen
September 16th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Of course it has to be on screen to be canon, or even in the books somewhere, but a deleted scene hardly counts.

Thats like saying the Doberman Gator is canon.

FRain
September 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM
That's like saying Jesus is canon :realsmug:

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Of course it has to be on screen to be canon, or even in the books somewhere, but a deleted scene hardly counts.

Thats like saying the Doberman Gator is canon.
Last i remember books are usualy made of paper or cardboard not a spagetti of electronics.:ohdear:
Which is my point.
By on screen your implying either film, video or game books are none of the above.

Kornman00
September 16th, 2009, 08:23 AM
That's like saying Jesus is canon :realsmug:
he is...:raise:

FRain
September 16th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Canon to life, I mean.

im fucking with you

TeeKup
September 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
I'm eager to jump back into the Mark V.

As an off chance I'd love to see this.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/halo/images/thumb/e/e0/Gallery_6889_853_280617.jpg/434px-Gallery_6889_853_280617.jpg

Advancebo
September 16th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Thats a Mark IV from what I read.

Amit
September 16th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Would that be on G4?

Yes.

=sw=warlord
September 16th, 2009, 02:56 PM
The Mark v was the first one given to the spartans from what was in fall of reach as the older suits had to used external power supplies.

Heathen
September 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Last i remember books are usualy made of paper or cardboard not a spagetti of electronics.:ohdear:
Which is my point.
By on screen your implying either film, video or game books are none of the above.

I did not imply anything. Film, video games, and books are all part of the canon.
I'm not a woman, I don't imply things.

Hotrod
September 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM
To quote page 154, which gives the image descriptions of the pages in the beginning of the book : "1: Spartan, Mjolnir Mk V redux" So, it's Mark V :downs:

The Mark v was the first one given to the spartans from what was in fall of reach as the older suits had to used external power supplies.
Actually, no, that was Mark IV, which had no shields, and was bulkier than the Mark V. The Spartans were given Mark V right before the battle of Reach.

Darqeness
September 17th, 2009, 02:31 AM
And the sketch Teek posted is intended to be a Mark V redesign. It's from the Art of Halo 3.

Warsaw
September 17th, 2009, 06:43 PM
It's cool, but the EOD chest that is actually in Halo 3 is better. Also, other than the helmet, the rest is too similar to the Mk. VI...it might as well be a Mk. VI variant.

Heathen
September 17th, 2009, 06:52 PM
hotrod knows his stuff...

Hunter
October 27th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Seeming as Halo:Reach is set before Halo Combat Evolved or something like that, doesn't that mean that the technology used is not as advanced as in Halo 3.

And that no new weapons can be introduced seeming as they would be in Halo 3 if in Halo:Reach.

Tbqh, I think they should make a game continuing Halo 3 seeming as in the ending the MC is floating towards a planet and is obviously an open ending. :/

Dwood
October 27th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Seeming as Halo:Reach is set before Halo Combat Evolved or something like that, doesn't that mean that the technology used is not as advanced as in Halo 3.

And that no new weapons can be introduced seeming as they would be in Halo 3 if in Halo:Reach.

Tbqh, I think they should make a game continuing Halo 3 seeming as in the ending the MC is floating towards a planet and is obviously an open ending. :/

Actually they have the possibility for different weapons because of this being an older game. My question is how different can they go from the original Halo?

Kornman00
October 27th, 2009, 01:34 PM
BR was in Staten's book which predates Reach. Problem solved

Also, Reach was where all (ok, not all, but humor me) the top secret shit was developed. IE, Spartan IIs. So they have some pretty good leeway I think for introducing some prototype weapons. Whether or not die-fucking-hard fans accept this is another question.

also, poland.

=sw=warlord
October 27th, 2009, 01:35 PM

Actualy they should have more things than in halo 3 as weapons wouldnt be on such a ration as it was in halo 3.
Reach was a military fortress amnd as such should have pretty much everything at its disposal that the UNSC has at its disposal including prototypes.
Plus the added bonus of more resources because it wasnt as far into the war as halo 3 was.

Good_Apollo
October 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Actualy they should have more things than in halo 3 as weapons wouldnt be on such a ration as it was in halo 3.
Reach was a military fortress amnd as such should have pretty much everything at its disposal that the UNSC has at its disposal including prototypes.
Plus the added bonus of more resources because it wasnt as far into the war as halo 3 was.
Except this would kinda break the fact that none of those weapons (Post Halo 1) were present in Halo 1, which takes place directly after The Fall of Reach.

I'm not going to lie, I loved the simple weapon set of Halo. The weapons and vehicles introduced in Halo 2, 3, ect. were cool but meh to me, unnecessary additions.

=sw=warlord
October 27th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Except this would kinda break the fact that none of those weapons (Post Halo 1) were present in Halo 1, which takes place directly after The Fall of Reach.

I'm not going to lie, I loved the simple weapon set of Halo. The weapons and vehicles introduced in Halo 2, 3, ect. were cool but meh to me, unnecessary additions.
Except the pillar of autumn rushed out of the star system to get away from the covenant onslaught.
I really doubt they had much choice in the matter and thus would explain why certain weapons were only arround in latter games [in canon anyways]
Do you really think they will spend 3 days to get every usefull weapon off reach while their being beaten to the ground?

Kornman00
October 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Not to mention they would probably want to use every useful weapon to try and defend Reach, thus leaving it planet side ;x

Kornman00
October 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
also,

it's a vida game

ICEE
October 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
The fact that the weapons weren't present in halo 1 does not mean they didn't exist. It only meant they weren't aboard the pillar of autumn. besides, bungie isn't going to make the mistake of going back to halo 1's weapon set.

Kornman00
October 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Wasn't the PoA one of the smaller vessels roaming in the UNSC shipyards?

Good_Apollo
October 27th, 2009, 03:50 PM
The fact that the weapons weren't present in halo 1 does not mean they didn't exist. It only meant they weren't aboard the pillar of autumn. besides, bungie isn't going to make the mistake of going back to halo 1's weapon set.That's the thing isn't it. With all the complaints about weapon balance, Halo 1 was their most successful game hence why they keep trying to add in Halo 1 elements to Halo 3 ect after complaints about Halo 2. The only reason nobody talks about it much anymore was it's sad lack of Live support... :smith:

Kornman00
October 27th, 2009, 03:56 PM
I think people just want to call the original the best because...well, it's the original. Think about this: Halo 1 had drastically different environments (mostly in terms of definition), less amounts of enemies around you, and less types of enemies. It's weapon set was great for the game they had going. Newer games marked newer environments and dynamics such as the AI characters.

TeeKup
October 27th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Wasn't the PoA one of the smaller vessels roaming in the UNSC shipyards?

In terms of tonnage, yes. The Pillar of Autumn was one of the oldest and smallest cruisers serving in the Fleet.

Martini-562
October 28th, 2009, 07:01 AM
In terms of tonnage, yes. The Pillar of Autumn was one of the oldest and smallest cruisers serving in the Fleet.

Actually wasn't it just small in size but extremely heavy due to the honeycomb structure? I thought I read in Fall of Reach that the PoA was smaller than a Marathon Cruiser but 3 times the tonnage. Then again, I'm probably mistaken.

TeeKup
October 28th, 2009, 02:46 PM
Actually wasn't it just small in size but extremely heavy due to the honeycomb structure? I thought I read in Fall of Reach that the PoA was smaller than a Marathon Cruiser but 3 times the tonnage. Then again, I'm probably mistaken.

You are. The pillar of autumn is 1/3 the tonnage of a Marathon Class Cruiser.

At 1.17 (a reference to the number 117) kilometers in length and one-third the tonnage of the succeeding Marathon-class Cruiser, the Halcyons were the smallest of vessels to be designated and structured as cruisers.

blind
October 28th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I dont think Bungie would change the way the game feels.
this is the dumbest comment in the thread.

Advancebo
October 28th, 2009, 06:05 PM
thats some time difference...

ICEE
October 30th, 2009, 12:14 AM
thats some time difference...

Dumb isn't biodegradable.

Ganon
October 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Dumb isn't biodegradable.

BILLY MAYS HERE

BobtheGreatII
October 30th, 2009, 12:53 AM
BILLY MAYS HERE

Oh... snap... that was a hit below the belt. :ohdear:

=sw=warlord
November 18th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Less than a month away and we ill be seeing a clip from the games intro cutscene
(http://www.gametrailers.com/news/2009-vga-nominees-announced/1572)[/URL][URL="http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#ReachFirstLook"]Confirmed (http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#ReachFirstLook)
(http://www.gametrailers.com/news/2009-vga-nominees-announced/1572)

p0lar_bear
November 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
More blueballing and needless hype. Great.

It's Halo, how much hype could Bungie POSSIBLY need to build up?

=sw=warlord
November 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
More blueballing and needless hype. Great.

It's Halo, how much hype could Bungie POSSIBLY need to build up?
Tell that to halo wars and halo2vista.
Those two did tarnish the reputation a little.

paladin
November 18th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Tell that to halo wars and halo2vista.
Those two did tarnish the reputation a little.

Those werent Bungie games. Thats why they didnt deliver.

=sw=warlord
November 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Those werent Bungie games. Thats why they didnt deliver.
Halo 2 was bungie game it was just ported by a hired gun.
ODST dosnt seem to have done as well either.

Lateksi
November 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I don't see why Halo Wars is bad?

=sw=warlord
November 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I don't see why Halo Wars is bad?
Have you seen the player numbers lately?

paladin
November 18th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Halo 2 was bungie game it was just ported by a hired gun.
ODST dosnt seem to have done as well either.

H2V was ported and ODST really is an expansion.

Also, ODST sold 2.2 million in the first week. Link (http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5352) I'd say that's pretty good.

t3h m00kz
November 18th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Have you seen the player numbers lately?

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means people don't play it lol.

The game received average scores, it wasn't negatively received. I personally feel the story was very deep and well executed, moreso than the FPS games.

=sw=warlord
November 19th, 2009, 04:47 AM
That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means people don't play it lol.
I wonder why people wouldn't play a good game and would preffer a bad one?
The game received average scores, it wasn't negatively received. I personally feel the story was very deep and well executed, moreso than the FPS games.
Other than the flood being found 20 years before canon.
I enjoy halowars but it's filled to the brim with people who ust spam ODST/hawks or warthogs.
There is definently something wrong when a fully upgraded wraith loses to a ODST.

L0d3x
November 19th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Halo Wars was supposed to be large scale Halo battles. When I think of large scale halo, I think of say the large tank fight on the ark, some of the larger battles in Halo 3: ODST, or battles described in the books.

When I see Halo Wars, even in single player, the gameplay is nothing more than "go to covenant base, destroy it". There are hardly any grand set-pieces for the player to overcome. And the MP of the game is restricted to but a few tactics that everyone uses over and over again.

paladin
November 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
I wanted to kills 1000 grunts, like in the prologue of Reach

Warsaw
November 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Halo Wars was supposed to be large scale Halo battles. When I think of large scale halo, I think of say the large tank fight on the ark, some of the larger battles in Halo 3: ODST, or battles described in the books.

When I see Halo Wars, even in single player, the gameplay is nothing more than "go to covenant base, destroy it". There are hardly any grand set-pieces for the player to overcome. And the MP of the game is restricted to but a few tactics that everyone uses over and over again.

Takes the strategy out of strategy games, don't it?