PDA

View Full Version : D-Day 65th Anniversary

Limited
June 5th, 2009, 08:39 PM
6th June 1944. D-Day...

My hometown was home to the thousands of British and American soldiers that launched from here heading for Omaha beach. Most notably it was US Division 1 (The Big Red One) that left from here.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/7551/dday.jpg
Heres a picture of the previous day.

RIP to soles lost on that fateful day, and the days after.

We will never forget.

Pyong Kawaguchi
June 5th, 2009, 08:40 PM
RIP
Respect to those who had done the right things.

Xetsuei
June 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Allies FTW. We fucking PWNED the Axis. They built up defenses for years, and we get past all of them in one day.

But yeah, RIP to all of the people that died. It was for a worthy cause.

ultama121
June 5th, 2009, 08:47 PM
D-Day. :(

RIP.

Angatar
June 5th, 2009, 09:18 PM
I'm in America, so it's not the 65th yet.

R.I.P.

Hotrod
June 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
RIP all that have died, you shouldn't have had to leave through war and destruction...

nooBBooze
June 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Allies FTW. We fucking PWNED the Axis. They built up defenses for years, and we get past all of them in one day.

Zerg rushing is for noobs

RecycleBin
June 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM
What is D-day? Was it like a genocide?

Hotrod
June 6th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Then many players are noobs :)

Think about it, what if every war fought was solved over a game of StarCraft?

PenGuin1362
June 6th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Then many players are noobs :)

Think about it, what if every war fought was solved over a game of StarCraft?

Korea would rule the world

Joshflighter
June 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Happy birthday...

Wait, wrong thread. Uh, RIP all the guys that went and died....

Corndogman
June 6th, 2009, 01:48 PM

You're joking right?

Rosco
June 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
If you're not joking.. if you're older than 10 how have you never known?
Otherwise, heh.

D-day, the day the allies really showed the germans how wars are fought. RIP to all the heroes that made sure the peace was kept.

nooBBooze
June 6th, 2009, 04:33 PM
D-day, the day the allies really showed the germans how wars are fought. RIP to all the heroes that made sure the peace was kept.
Peace in Europe?
Uh Ok.

Peace the Rest of the World?
Lulz

Rosco
June 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Peace in Europe?
Uh Ok.

Peace the Rest of the World?
Lulz

A peace which ment no one was going to be ruled by some nazis :downs:

PwN Lone
June 6th, 2009, 05:57 PM
R.I.P to all those who gave their lives for a peaceful future.

ICEE
June 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM

Are you serious

Is this guy serious

I searched his post for ninja tags guys, but their not there

I think hes serious

nooBBooze
June 6th, 2009, 06:06 PM
A peace which ment no one was going to be ruled by some nazis :downs:
Except for the spanish, right? :snafubar:

Rosco
June 6th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Except for the spanish, right? :snafubar:

It's like it was planned :downsrim:

Mass
June 6th, 2009, 09:05 PM
If World War II was a game of Starcraft than the US would have built 72 guardians and flown them around grieving everybody.

This is my great uncle's birthday, he narrowly missed being in landing forces. (Someone in the army realized that fluent German was more useful than dying on the beach.)

RecycleBin
June 6th, 2009, 10:58 PM
No, I'm serious. I can recall hearing about D-day but I can't remember what it was about.

n00b1n8R
June 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Allied troops taking the the fight to the Nazi's occupying France.
Single largest amphibius landing of all time.

Educate yourself. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-day)

nooBBooze
June 7th, 2009, 03:00 AM
No, I'm serious. I can recall hearing about D-day but I can't remember what it was about.
So are you to tell me that your generation didn't even have one WWII game that involved a crappy D-Day scenario?
Kids these days.

Rook
June 7th, 2009, 03:07 AM

D-day scene in saving private ryan if text didn't fill your fancy [good movie]

1lP0BbtnpHU

L0d3x
June 7th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Gives me the chills everytime I think about it. Those first landing boats never had a chance...

Needles
June 7th, 2009, 03:30 PM
So are you to tell me that your generation didn't even have one WWII game that involved a crappy D-Day scenario?
Kids these days.
My dad told me about it when I was little.

School don't teach much about anything of WW1 or WW2. A little bit about the holocaust if the teacher decides, but that's it.

Rosco
June 7th, 2009, 04:40 PM
D-day scene in saving private ryan if text didn't fill your fancy [good movie]

Those poor soldiers who drowned before they could even get to the beach.. what a horrible way to go.. not like anything else that happened on that day was any better.. but not even being able to get your boots on the ground.. sucks.

L0d3x
June 8th, 2009, 04:08 AM
School don't teach much about anything of WW1 or WW2.

I can't believe that, what a horrible school.

Bodzilla
June 8th, 2009, 06:17 AM
i sadly didnt learn much either. i've got very very vague understanding of WW1 and 2. Our history teacher had a thing for vikings and ancient egypt.

and if it wasnt that she was too busy sticking to the syllabus and teaching That ancient aboriginal garbage dumps are sacred sites.
i wish i was fucking joking.

=sw=warlord
June 8th, 2009, 08:52 AM
i sadly didnt learn much either. i've got very very vague understanding of WW1 and 2. Our history teacher had a thing for vikings and ancient egypt.

and if it wasnt that she was too busy sticking to the syllabus and teaching That ancient aboriginal garbage dumps are sacred sites.
i wish i was fucking joking.
Same with my old school, they only taught about the pre victorian eras and a small amount of the victorian steam era, i know the gist of the world wars but i still know very little compared to the average.

Cojafoji
June 8th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I can't believe that, what a horrible school.
Uh yeah, I'm inclined to agree.

What's even worse though, is that a majority of the subjects taught to children now a days doesn't even include the CBI theater.

I mean, everyone knows about the European, African, and Pacific theater, but it really pisses me off when they just blast over the China Burma India theater.

According to most teachers, my grandfather did not fly into occupied china to blow up a shot down b-29 bomber.

FUCKING BULLSHIT.

I have pictures.

L0d3x
June 8th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Good point, though schools are limited in the amount of time that they have to teach.
It's easy for me as a european/belgian to take history lessons concerning the world wars for granted, as the very ground I stand on was where alot of the action took place.

We didn't see anything on CBI btw, but I blame this on time constraints. Tbqh we also didn't see alot about the pacific and american parts of WW2, i just educated myself in these.

paladin
June 8th, 2009, 02:25 PM
MY grand father was in the second wave to invade Normandy :(. Thankfully his survived the last 3 years of the War.

rossmum
June 9th, 2009, 05:22 AM
loving how the thread got shat upon before it even got past the first page, top effort guys!!!

my grandpa was there, lest we forget <O

e/ yeah schools who gloss over the IMPORTANT part of the war, namely what the soliders on both sides did, are shit. politics are all well and good but there's something wrong when a teenager has to correct their history teacher on the general start and end dates of the battle of britain

RecycleBin
June 9th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I've never really learned about WWI or WWII. Schools today mostley cover 1600's to the 1800's. My great grandma would tell me about WWI and WWII and I learned a bit from her.

t3h m00kz
June 9th, 2009, 10:26 AM
basically WWI shit got all fucked up and some homie started poppin some haters for hittin on his fly girl. Mother fuckers rolled up with mustard gas and REALLY fucked some bitches up

WWII this crazy mother fucker named A-Hit came rollin up speakin the hate, and all the true playas were like "fuck that" so we iced that fool. Most homies lost in any war.

No but seriosly I'm a WWI/WWII retard, myself. WWI moreso, but that mustard gas shit was fucked up

mech
June 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Our youth is very ignorant.

PopeAK49
June 10th, 2009, 04:54 PM

Let's just say that if the Allies plan didn't work and we lost the storming of the normandy beach, then Germans would have probably won the war.

Cortexian
June 10th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I got together with a bunch of friends that I know in the Forces/Cadets and we watched Saving Private Ryan on the 6th.