PDA

View Full Version : iPhone V3, it's coming.

Masterz1337
June 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM
http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090604/iphone-500x375.png

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20090605/iphonepatent_270x466.png

The official announcement is coming Monday. Can't wait to hear about the changes. Look like it's going to have a front facing camera for video iChat, an internal compass, 7.2 MBS 3g connection, 3.2 megapixel camera up from 2, and possibly an OLED screen.

Limited
June 6th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Damnit I want one so bad. But the contracts are ludicrously expensive. Are you on a data plan masters?

Syuusuke
June 6th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Damn that's thin.

Masterz1337
June 6th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Unfortunately, ends up that last pic was fake, first pic is believed to be real though. They're making it cheaper with the new phone, the data plan will be 20$ instead of 30, so you get to save about 120 dollars a year, plus lower bill=lower tax. Right now my monthly bill is 90$ ( That's 40 for voice, 30 for data, 20 for unlimited texting) and ends up being 100 with tax.

Limited
June 6th, 2009, 07:11 PM
You pay $1200 for iPhone bills a year? Bloody hell masters.

Masterz1337
June 6th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I wish they had a cheaper voice plan, I don't need 400 minutes for 40$, especially when I have free calls with other AT&T users (80% of my friends) and rollover. The unlimitted text and data is well worth it though.

Limited
June 6th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Yeah you pay way too much lol, I'd personally would get a pay and go version of it, as I hardly ring people just text alot. Problem is I dont think that covers the data downloads which I would obviously make use of.

ODX
June 6th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Ah, good, thinking about getting this as my first phone. Finally some more info on it so I'm not behind the blinds anymore. Though, I'm still a bit skeptical as to how the phone aspect of it works out, but it sounds awesome already.

Huero
June 6th, 2009, 10:34 PM
it's supposed to have a black matte casing
mmmmm
matte

Heathen
June 6th, 2009, 11:43 PM
goddamn I am so excited.

Also the 99 dollar 4 gig.

Heathen
June 6th, 2009, 11:49 PM
New Name: The new iphone could be called iPhone Video, since, recording video is being hailed as the next big thing in the next gen iPhone.

Faster Processor: The new iPhone processor could come with a faster processor running at 600 MHz, which will be 1.5 times as fast as the current iPhone models which run at 400 MHz.

More RAM: It could also have 256MB Ram up from 128MB RAM in current iPhone models.

Camera Improvements: The new iPhone would come with a video recording feature and with the ability to auto-focus. The new iPhone will sport a 3.2 megapixel camera. It would be a nice surprise if the new iPhone comes up with a front facing camera.

Faster Internet Connectivity: The wireless radio component specification distributed with iPhone OS 3.0 beta had revealed support for a new chip which could bring support for 802.11n Wi-Fi in Apple's next generation iPhone.

Improved Battery Life: The new iPhone will include an OLED screen, which will improve the battery life. The battery of the new iPhone is said to last 1.5 times more than that of the existing iPhones.

Increased Storage Capacity: The new iPhone could have increased storage capcity of 32 GB. It is also speculated that Apple could sell a new iPhone model with storage capacity of 4GB for $99.

Digital Compass: The Digital Compass or magnetometer might also be included that could be used for some interesting things. For eg. if you point your iPhone's camera at a building, it will be able to identify the building by combining GPS, accelerometer and compass information. It will also show information about stars and constellations simply by pointing the iPhone towards the sky.

When both camera and the compass are put together with GPS and Googlemaps, it will be able to identify a photo along with its location.

Matte Finish: It is speculated that the back cover of new iPhone will have a matte finish. Our readers have divided opinions on this matter, and it remains to be seen.

Repositioned Headset jack: If the latest photos of the new iPhone are to be believed then it could mean that the headset jack is getting repositioned from the top.

Repositioned ear speaker: It is speculated that the ear speaker will get repositioned in the new iPhone. It could be positioned significantly higher when compared to the speaker in current iPhone models probably to make way for the front facing camera.

Discarding the metal rim: With the new iPhone, the metal rim that surrounds the edge of the device could be discountinued. This silver coloured band could be replaced by a black metal or plastic case.

A glowing Apple Logo: The Apple logo at the back of the new iPhone will glow. With the improved battery life, I am sure this will not be a drain.
cuz I'm tha seventh letta of tha alphabet cuz I'm a G.

Cortexian
June 7th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Cool, now Apple users can have a phone that's almost as good as a Blackberry!

ODX
June 7th, 2009, 11:59 AM
4GB iPhone for $99? Something about that just doesn't sound right to me, seems a bit too inexpensive...but that's still more than twice the memory of my 2nd gen Nano xD (1.7GB)

Masterz1337
June 7th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Funny enough, most of my friends have been dropping their Backberrys for iPhones this past year. I haven't seen anything extra special the Blackberrys can do.

Edit: I don't think the new ones will have a 4 gig 99$ model. They canned the old 4 gigs iPhones and people will pay 200$ for the current 8 gig, so there's no reason to make an even cheaper version when people will shell out the extra 100 for the 8 gig..

Huero
June 7th, 2009, 01:23 PM

HAHAHAHA
You're a kidder.

Heathen
June 7th, 2009, 05:08 PM
u bes be trollin

Spartan094
June 7th, 2009, 05:15 PM
More apple stuff? So god damn expensive ._.
Noes trolling lancer

Masterz1337
June 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
199 isn't that bad, you can get the 3G 8 gig for 99$ refurbished. No doubt their laptop and desktop models are overpriced, but OSX is only 130$, and that's like almost the price of Vista Basic isn't it? I know I payed nearly 400$ for Vista Ultimate when it came out.

Heathen
June 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Rumored name "iPhone 3GS"
Rumored Pic
http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09-Jun/new-iphone-photo.jpg
http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09-Jun/new-iphone-photo-1.jpg
http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09-Jun/new-iphone-photo-2.jpg

Atty
June 7th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Looks nice. Still like my Storm just as much as I have liked using any iPhone. If they come over the Verizon I'd consider getting one until then I'll stick with Blackberries.

dg
June 8th, 2009, 10:46 AM
It's too bad that AT&T's service is absolutely horrid in Nebraska/the Midwest in general. My father hopped on the iPhone train (just as I almost did) and dropped his contract after four months of bad service.

Sprint and Verizon still dominate the Midwest. And I love that :-)

Huero
June 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
at&t is going to take a few extra months to support mms and wont support tethering
FUCK at&t

Masterz1337
June 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Jailbreakers have had teathering since like last fall, so not that big an issue for me. Anyone following WWDC, how cool is it that to upgrade to Snow Leopard, its 30$. It's almost the same jump from Vista->7, and it's only 30$

Edit: I hate the look of the leaked photos, really hope it's not true.

Heathen
June 8th, 2009, 04:14 PM
http://live.gizmodo.com/

Sounds like its gonna look the exact fucking same :/

Warsaw
June 8th, 2009, 04:40 PM
It is. The difference is that it is covered in oil-resistant finish so it doesn't look as gross whenever you get done using it.

StankBacon
June 8th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Edit: I hate the look of the leaked photos, really hope it's not true.

so you hate the way your current iphone looks? because its exactly the same.

TheGhost
June 8th, 2009, 05:15 PM
I thought he was referring to the matte black one, considering he posted before the official announcement.

I am probably going to end up getting one of these 3G S models, as my current phone is borked and I have to buy a new one anyway.

Masterz1337
June 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah that's what I meant Ghost. Apparently current 3G users can't upgrade for 199 or 299 this time around though :-\. How'd your current one get screwed up?

Heathen
June 8th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Gentlemen.

After months of rumors and speculations, Apple announced their eagerly awaited third generation iPhone at the WWDC Keynote address today. They are calling it iPhone 3G S and as many (including our reader, Gilberto) had guessed ‘S’ stands for speed.

There are no changes in the physical design of iPhone 3G S as compared to iPhone 3G but brings some changes under the hood.
http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09-Jun/iphone-3g-s.jpg

iPhone 3G S has the following features:

Speed:
As mentioned earlier, 'S' in iPhone 3G S stands for speed. It is the fastest iPhone that Apple has created.

Apple mentioned in their Keynote address that it will be 2.1x faster to launch Messages, 2.4x to load SimCity, 3.6x faster to load an Excel attachment, 2.9x faster to load a large website.

I’m guessing that will be mainly due to a faster processor and hopefully more RAM. Apple usually does not mention these details, so we will find out as soon it is available.

Better Camera:
iPhone 3G S comes with a 3-megapixel camera which will allow users to take better still photos, thanks to the built-in autofocus.
The autofocus feature works as we had heard, you can tap on the display to focus on anything or anyone you want.

But one of the killer features of iPhone 3G S has to be the ability to shoot videos at 30 frames per second VGA with audio and with autofocus, auto white balance, and auto exposure in both portrait and landscape mode.

You will also be able to trim the videos right on the iPhone and share them either via email post them to your MobileMe gallery, publish it on YouTube, or sync it back to your Mac or PC using iTunes.

Faster Internet connectivity:
It supports the 7.2 Mbps HSDPA standard which would mean improved internet connectivity.

A faster processor with support for faster internet connectivity will significantly improve the user experience which is already one of the best in the smartphone market.

Graphics

We missed this while covering the Keynote address but Apple’s new iPhone will support the OpenGL|ES standard, for faster and more complicated 3D games.

Improved Battery Life:
It will have improved battery life as seen in the table below.
http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09-Jun/battery-life.jpg
Design:
As you can see from the screenshots below, there is no change in the design of the new iPhone when you compare it with iPhone 3G.
However, Apple has used greener materials in the new iPhone such as Arsenic-free glass, BDF-free, Mercury-free LCD. But no OLED, which is a pity as it would have further improved battery life.

So all the so-called leaked images of Apple’s new iPhone were fake.

Digital Compass:
It includes a compass application which makes use of the built-in magnetometer. It will also be integrated with the built-in Maps app which will show orientation with longitude and latitude.

Voice Control:
It also includes a voice control app which can be used to make calls or play music from iPhone’s music library by speaking into the iPhone.

Nike+:
Apple has also included built-in Nike + iPod support in iPhone 3G S,which was included in iPod Touch 2nd generation.

Pricing:
Apple has announced the iPhone 3G S 16GB model for $199 and iPhone 3G S 32GB model for $299. Both the models will be available in black and white color.

Apple has also announced that they will be selling the current iPhone 3G for a reduced price of $99 starting today.
If you are an existing iPhone 3G user then you will have to pay approximately $200 over subsidized pricing to upgrade:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/images/09-Jun/att-upgrade-pricing.jpg
Release date:
iPhone 3G S will be available on June 19th.
So, after months of rumors and speculation, it looks like most of the rumors were spot on except for the front facing camera and design of Apple’s new iPhone.

Kudos again to John Gruber of Daring Fireball, his predictions which we had published yesterday seem to be spot on once again.

Apple did not blow us away with iPhone 3G S, with features like OLED screen and front-facing camera, but I think they have announced enough new features to stay ahead of the competition.

So the big question remains to be seen, if the new features will be enough for people to buy it or upgrade to it?
We would love to know your verdict on Apple's new iPhone 3G S, so please feel free to drop us a line in the comment section below.
Little upsetting about the asthetics but oh well. Also no OLED.

And does anyone know if it supports N wireless now or still just G?

Heathen
June 8th, 2009, 08:31 PM
OS 3.0 too

There were speculations that Apple will launch its iPhone OS 3.0 at WWDC today. Apple has done the next best thing, it has announced that their next generation iPhone OS will be available to users on June, 17th.

iPhone OS 3.0 will be free for the original iPhone and iPhone 3G user but will cost $9.99 for iPod Touch users. During the keynote address at WWDC, Apple provided some more details about iPhone OS 3.0

As we already knew, iPhone OS 3.0 includes 100 new features, many that we were already aware of and some that come as a pleasant surprise. Here is a run down on the features that were announced today:

Cut, Copy & Paste: Users will be able to cut, copy and paste text. The blocks of text could be selected from application and web by simply taping the content. You can check this page to find out how it works.

Landscape Mode: iPhone OS 3.0 will allow users to use iPhone's virtual keyboard in landscape mode in mails, messages, notes.

MMS: Users will be able to send and receive photos, audio, vCard (contact cards), and ‘location' with the ability to take photos and videos right inside the message.

Apple announced that MMS support for AT&T will only become available in late summer although a number of carriers across the globe will support MMS.

Note: MMS is not supported on first-generation iPhone. Sending video via MMS is not supported on iPhone 3G, since, the camera can't capture video.

Movies and TV Shows direct download: Apple announced that with iPhone OS 3.0, users will be able to rent and download movies, tv shows directly onto their iPhones.

Apple already allows users to download songs, podcasts and iPhone apps over the air using iPhone’s data connection if the file size is less than 10 MB, if the file size is more than 10 MB, users will have to download it over Wi-Fi. Thus, it is anyone's guess that Apple is indirectly stating that this feature will only work over Wi-Fi.

Tethering Capability: iPhone OS 3.0 will also bring the ability to tether the iPhone to feed a data connection to your computer and surf the internet. However it will depend on carriers to add tethering support on their networks.

Tethering is not currently offered in the U.S. and some other countries. AT&T was absent from the list of carriers that allow tethering. Some of the networks that allow tethering include names such as bharti, Telefonica, Hutchinson Telecom, Orange, O2, T-Mobile,Vodafone, and Chunghwa Telecom.

Safari Improvements: Safari on iPhone OS 3.0 is now 3 times faster in iPhone OS 3.0 and will have the autofill username and password feature.

Safari also brings support for HTTP streaming audio and video. It will automatically determine best quality for your connection

Find My iPhone and wipe feature: iPhone OS 3.0 will include a feature called 'Find my iPhone'. The service will obtain iPhone's location and make it available to MobileMe user on request if the unit is lost or stolen.

The users will be able to protect their privacy by sending remote wipe instructions, which will wipe off all data from lost or stolen iPhones.

Peer to Peer Connectivity: This will allow users to play multiplayer games and to share information.

In App Purchase: Apple has introduced a new business model, which adds more ways for the developers to charge users for an iPhone app. The models are Subscriptions, charging for additional content or levels.

ScrollMotion who creates ebook apps for the App Store demoed its new iPhone App that will make use of the In-app purchase to download books directly through the iPhone App.

Third-party Accessories: This feature will allow Accessory manufacturers to create applications to interface with their hardware accessories through Dock Connector or Bluetooth.

As an example, Line6 and Planet Waves demoed their app that allows you to control your guitar and Amp using your iPhone.

Push Notification Service: One of the most anticipated features of iPhone OS 3.0 and Apple's solution or workaround for the ability to run third party iPhone apps in the background especially for applications like Instant Messenger, Facebook etc.

Apart from the above features, iPhone OS 3.0 will also sport the following features:

Video Recording and Editing: With the iPhone OS 3.0 users will be able to carry out basic video editing on their iPhone 3G S. The 3-megapixel improved camera and video recording capability in iPhone 3G S are sure to be a delight.

Note: This feature will not be available to the first generation iPhone and iPhone 3G users.

Spotlight (Universal Search Feature): Spotlight for iPhone will allow the user to search contacts, emails, calendars, notes etc. Spotlight for iPhone will now be your new left-most home screen. You can just start typing in the search box which will bring up a list of everything that matches your search. Users will be able to search contacts, messages etc and will also be able to launch the searched applications.

Voice Memos: Users will be able to record notes, lectures, interviews, or any audio on the go using the built-in microphone or using the mic on their headset. Users will also to share their recorded voice files either as an email or MMS.

Bluetooth Support: iPhone OS 3.0 will support bluetooth allowing users to use bluetooth stereo headphones and speaker with their iPhone 3G.

Turn By Turn GPS: With iPhone OS 3.0, users will be able to see third party Turn by Turn GPS apps for the iPhone. However, developers will need to include their own maps due to licensing issues. TomTom demoed its turn-by-turn GPS application for the iPhone with voice navigation, which was pretty cool.

SMS App enhancements: Users will be able to forward and delete multiple text messages and will be able to use the landscape mode.

Parental Controls: With iPhone OS 3.0 Apple will introduce age-based parental control for iPhone Apps. This feature will allow users to restrict kids from accessing certain music, video and app.

Multiple Account log-in: With iPhone OS 3.0 users will be able to create and log in to multiple iTunes account on their iPhones.

Battery Indicator: With the iPhone OS 3.0, the battery indicator, in addition to the current battery bar, will display the remaining battery power in percentage.

Support for Exchange: Mail, iCal, and Address Book now all support Exchange.

Automatic Wi-Fi: Upon connection iPhone will automatically logs you in to a previously joined Wi-Fi hotspot.

Sync Note: Users will now be able to sync their notes on their PCs or Macs.

You Tube Login: Users will have an option to login to their You Tube accounts, save and sync the bookmarks and to rate favorites.

Shake to Shuffle: Shake your iPhone with OS 3.0 and it will shuffle to a different song in your music library.

New Languages: iPhone improves it multi-lingual capabilities by supporting 30 languages and more than 40 keyboard layouts.

The highlight of today's announcement was the ability to download movies directly on the iPhone and the performance improvements in Safari as most of the other features were announced at the special event to preview iPhone OS 3.0 back in March.
But the non-availability of MMS and tethering in the U.S at the time of the launch is probably the most disappointing news for iPhone users.

So are you happy with the features or do you plan to buy Apple's new iPhone 3G S, which also has some hardware improvements? Do give us your opinion in our comment section.

FUCKING THANK YOU LANDSCAPE MODE

Choking Victim
June 9th, 2009, 12:03 AM
Sounds awesome, I'm satisfied.

Heathen
June 9th, 2009, 12:06 AM
ditto

StankBacon
June 9th, 2009, 12:44 AM
too bad its at&t only :(

Masterz1337
June 9th, 2009, 01:12 AM
The regular 3G works great on T-Mobile. You lose the 3G ability but on the + side using Edge gives you a much longer battery life.

Huero
June 9th, 2009, 11:39 AM
once again i say FUCK AT&T

Heathen
June 9th, 2009, 03:04 PM
once again i say FUCK AT&T
Jeers to you. >:[

TheGhost
June 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah that's what I meant Ghost. Apparently current 3G users can't upgrade for 199 or 299 this time around though :-\. How'd your current one get screwed up?

It thinks that there are headphones plugged in even when there aren't. That means it won't make sound out of the speakers (so no ringing, and when I want to talk to someone I have to put it in speaker mode). I've looked on the Internet for some fixes but nothing has worked. The Apple store says it's "water damaged" (I bring it to the gym sometimes), so they won't fix it, but I don't think that's the reason it isn't working correctly.

kenney001
June 11th, 2009, 11:32 AM
It thinks that there are headphones plugged in even when there aren't. That means it won't make sound out of the speakers (so no ringing, and when I want to talk to someone I have to put it in speaker mode). I've looked on the Internet for some fixes but nothing has worked. The Apple store says it's "water damaged" (I bring it to the gym sometimes), so they won't fix it, but I don't think that's the reason it isn't working correctly.

Did you try rapidly plugging/unplugging headphones? This seemed to work for my brother who had the same problem. This is a temporary fix, however, and he took his to get a replacement. This isn't an uncommon problem

BobtheGreatII
June 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Lol $500 for a phone? No thanks.

klange
June 11th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Lol $500 for a phone? No thanks.
That's more than I paid for my laptop.

Masterz1337
June 11th, 2009, 02:36 PM
That's only if you are an existing AT&T customer and are not eligible for an upgrade. The price is 99$ for 8 gig 3G, 199$ for 3GS 16 gigs, and 299$ for 3GS 32 gig.

Heathen
June 11th, 2009, 03:23 PM
getting a 16 here for 200 in like 6 to 8 days or so (the date is fuzzy and I am too lazy to check)

Heathen
June 12th, 2009, 09:55 PM
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/gizmodo/2009/06/vsiphones.jpg

Heathen
June 15th, 2009, 12:42 AM
triple post

I didnt even think this was possible
http://gizmodo.com/5085919/vnc-lite

klange
June 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
triple post

I didnt even think this was possible
http://gizmodo.com/5085919/vnc-lite
There have been VNC apps for the iPhone for quite some time.

Heathen
June 16th, 2009, 05:10 PM
so do you think that there will be troubles in getting one when it comes out in 3 days?

StankBacon
June 16th, 2009, 06:59 PM
if you didn't preorder one you wont get one for awhile.

Heathen
June 16th, 2009, 08:46 PM
if you didn't preorder one you wont get one for awhile.
dammit.

I am reading around to educate myself.
I know its because its not an actual release yet, but it says you need xp or vista. Doesn't mention 7.

7 would work fine though right?

Also, why is this in the requirements?

Display resolution on your computer set to 1024 x 768 or higher

Heathen
June 18th, 2009, 01:55 PM
Get tethering and MMS in the US.
http://lifehacker.com/5295452/enable-tethering-and-mms-on-your-iphone-30

Phopojijo
June 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Also, why is this in the requirements?
iTunes won't work at 640x480 or 800x600 probably.

Btw... the upgrade deal with AT&T is ONLY if you have a contract that is 99$/mo... per cellphone... or more... otherwise you'd need to pay termination fees as per usual.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31408544/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

I'ma telling you... Apple is one of the most monopolistic companies in existence. Not a good idea to let them... they're already pushing the broadcast model on iPhone apps.

They were banning turn by turn and cut/paste apps from the App Store... until their friends at Tom Tom made one or they added it to their firmware (respectively).

Apple is bad bad news... the exact opposite of what you want a company to be. Microsoft isn't good, but Apple is WAY WAY beyond what Microsoft does.

ThePlague
June 18th, 2009, 08:55 PM
A new iPhone every month eh? That's what is seems.

Didn't get the first iPhone, won't get this one. I hate AT&T, they have shitty service.

Masterz1337
June 18th, 2009, 10:52 PM
iTunes won't work at 640x480 or 800x600 probably.

Btw... the upgrade deal with AT&T is ONLY if you have a contract that is 99$/mo... per cellphone... or more... otherwise you'd need to pay termination fees as per usual.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31408544/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

I'ma telling you... Apple is one of the most monopolistic companies in existence. Not a good idea to let them... they're already pushing the broadcast model on iPhone apps.

They were banning turn by turn and cut/paste apps from the App Store... until their friends at Tom Tom made one or they added it to their firmware (respectively).

Apple is bad bad news... the exact opposite of what you want a company to be. Microsoft isn't good, but Apple is WAY WAY beyond what Microsoft does.

The minimum bill is not 99$, its 70$. The reason why c&p wasn't previously allowed is they can't be allowing systems that run under the hood like that because of conflicts with other applications and system stability. Anyone who jailbreaks can tell you about how you need to be knowledgeable about what sub systems you are installing. I believe Tomtom has had heir GPS app ready for some time, it was just a matter of 3.0's release holding it back.

As far as Apple as a company, I'll stop buying their products when someone releases something better, until than iEverything for me.

Heathen
June 19th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Got mine. 32. Diggin it.

Heathen
June 20th, 2009, 06:39 PM
Postin from my iPhone

StankBacon
June 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
look at you, not able to multitask, lol.

Masterz1337
June 22nd, 2009, 05:02 AM
I can :)

Heathen
June 28th, 2009, 02:11 AM
_qbWjaW25mQ
Really doubt its truely waterproof but cool
E: More mod abuse on the youtube tags?

Masterz1337
June 28th, 2009, 02:32 AM
My friend dropper her 3G in the toilet before, thing works perfect. Water sensor didn't even change color.

Heathen
June 28th, 2009, 02:45 AM
My friend dropper her 3G in the toilet before, thing works perfect. Water sensor didn't even change color.
Pretty spiffy.
I like that.

I mean, so its not waterproof, just water resistant.

Masterz1337
June 28th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Well her friend dropped hers in Dihariah (SP?), apparently that works fine as well. I wouldn't go swimming with an iPhone, but I wouldn't be surprised if it kept working. The only parts that are really exposed is the connection port and headphone jack, all other openings are speakers.

Heathen
June 28th, 2009, 03:05 AM
yeah...thats what I was thinking...also thanks for the diarrhea thing.

English Mobster
June 28th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I've been developing apps for iPhone recently, none have been put on the app store, but I DO have an Apple Developer account.
3.0 has a lot of added support for games, including (iirc) voice chat, Live-esque wireless gaming, and a bunch of other shit. I've been learning how to implement it recently.

Heathen
June 28th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I wanna try the new ps2 emulator for the 3gs.

Heathen
June 30th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Well Geohot got it jailbroken (guy who jailbroke the original iPhone and had a big hand in the jailbreaking of the 3G running 3.0) but its only within the team atm because they delayed release but this is at least signs of a release soon.

Heathen
June 30th, 2009, 06:49 PM
iPhone Dev team had announced last week that they might be able to jailbreak and unlock Apple's new iPhone 3GS as they were able to verify that the 24Kpwn exploit that the hybrid team used on the iPod Touch 2G, is still applicable to the bootrom of iPhone 3GS.

However, they have now announced that they are delaying their iPhone 3GS jailbreak in the interest of those who are planning to purchase an iPhone 3GS in the near future as they expect Apple to release iPhone OS 3.0.1 in which they might try to fix the exploit.
Dev Team has given the following explanation for delaying the jailbreak for iPhone 3GS:

We can jailbreak the 3GS right now. But making our jailbreak public at this point in time would benefit relatively few people. It would in fact be detrimental to many more people than it would help. So we feel it’s best to keep our version of the jailbreak out of Apple’s sights for the time being.

Dev Team is worried that Apple might release iPhone OS 3.0.1 to fix the exploit that is being used to jailbreak iPhone 3GS:

The nature of the 3GS hardware allows Apple to stop IPSWs from being usable unless you’ve already gotten the signed chunks they send to you based on your ECID (a unique chip ID). You cannot get these signed chunks without knowing your ECID, and you don’t know your ECID until you’ve bought your 3GS.

The jailbreak requires at least one signed iBoot-family img3 for your device. And that iBoot needs to have an exploitable bug. It’s an all-or-nothing deal…you either have your signed exploitable iBoot ready to use, for now and forever — always jailbreakable — or you have nothing.

Here’s the critical point, the reason why we’re delaying our version of the jailbreak: Once the jailbreak is out, Apple will fix the iBoot-family bug we use to accomplish it. They will simply stop signing the old iBoots and only sign the fixed ones. If you bought your phone after Apple has done this, there’s nothing you can do…the jailbreak isn’t going to work for you.
So new iPhone 3GS users who were eagerly waiting to jailbreak their iPhone and then use UltraSn0w to unlock it, will have to wait a bit longer. We will keep you posted as soon as we get an update so stay tuned here at iPhone Hacks.

As always, please don't forget to drop us a line to tell us what you think about Dev team's decision to delay releasing the jailbreak.eh

Masterz1337
June 30th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I read that earlier today. Suck that you gotta wait, but I'm jailbroken now on 3.0 and almost nothing works for me :-\. I'm going to wipe my phone and try ti all again later.

Heathen
June 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Heh, yeah.
But if its a hardware change, then the current jailbreak would work for me, correct?
I say release it, even if its only for a small group of people.

Masterz1337
July 1st, 2009, 02:34 AM
Next hardware change is next summer. For whatever reason, the new jailbreak can be prevented via a software update in the 3GS.

Heathen
July 4th, 2009, 10:50 AM
George Hotz (aka Geohot), a member of the iPhone Dev Team and the first to unlock the original iPhone (iPhone 2G) is back. He has released a software called purplera1n to jailbreak iPhone 3GS.

He seems to have released it on his personal blog against the wishes of others in the Dev Team as he didn't seem to agree with the decision that the jailbreak for iPhone 3GS had to wait until iPhone OS 3.1.

This one is only for iPhone 3GS users, if you are an iPhone 3G users, please checkout our step-by-step guide to jailbreak iPhone 3G running iPhone OS 3.0 for Windows or Mac users.

Geohot has explained the reason for releasing purplera1n on his personal blog:

Normally I don’t make tools for the general public, and rather wait for the dev team to do it. But guys, whats up with waiting until 3.1? That isn’t how the game is played. We release, Apple fixes, we find new holes. It isn’t worth waiting because you might have the “last” hole in the iPhone. What last hole…this isn’t golf. I’ll find a new one next week.

He has also provided the instructions to use it:

Download it. Make sure you have windows(but not 7), the latest iTunes installed, and an iPhone 3GS with 3.0 firmware. Connect your iPhone normally. Click "make it ra1n". Wait. On bootup, run Freeze, the purplera1n installer app. Hopefully you'll figure out what to do from there.

You can download purplera1n from http://purplera1n.com/.

In the meantime, Dev Team have also published a video demonstration of their unlocking solution UltraSn0w for iPhone 3GS.
wut up

Heathen
July 6th, 2009, 12:46 AM
Okay, so I jailbroke my phone.
Pretty cool stuff.
Now I am curious to know if anyone knows a work around for WB being busted.
I would love some themage.

Masterz1337
July 6th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I think WB has to be updated by Saurick.

Heathen
July 6th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Well it actually works partially for me, but that isn't the case for some other people.

Weird stuff.

Heathen
July 7th, 2009, 03:01 PM
The newly released 0.9.2958 versions of MobileSubstrate and WinterBoard (upgraded to support ARM7/Thumb2) should now work on the iPhone 3GS.