PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a couple of busted laptops?

BobtheGreatII
June 12th, 2009, 04:46 PM
So here's the down low. I have two laptops that I got for free, one looks kind of decent, the other one is broken in to so many pieces it's not funny. I got them because my dad had them, and managed to break them both. The only things I can think of that are any good would be the screens, both pairs of RAM, and their wireless cards. I'm not too sure what to do with them honestly, I've tried and tried to get the promising one to work, and I got it to boot up a few times, but then I stripped the ribbon cable that connected the motherboard to the power buttons. : / So uh, guess all I have to ask is if anyone here is looking some parts to buy at low prices, or should I just move on to Ebay and see if I can get a little cash there...

Mr Buckshot
June 12th, 2009, 05:05 PM
in my city there are some shops that will gladly collect electronic junk and either dispose of it in an environmentally safe manner, or recycle what they can. Check to see if such places exist in your area.

The salvageable RAM might be worthless if it's outdated (i.e. DDR1 era) as most current laptop owners probably have more modern machines. If it's newer, you can sell it for a low price. If the wireless cards are external PCMCIA devices, you might be able to sell them, but once again all modern laptops have it integrated nowadays, so that can be difficult.

I wouldn't bother trying to sell broken laptops on ebay, it's too much of a hassle, especially since you can't custom-build a laptop from scratch so there's little chance of anyone wanting to buy scrap laptop parts.

BobtheGreatII
June 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Lol, I have 2 1gig DDR2 laptop ram and then 2 256mb RAM. These laptops aren't all that old. My dad just managed to destroy them quickly. lol. The wireless card is the internal card.

Mr Buckshot
June 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
If you're as tech savvy as Ben Heck...you know what you can do with the laptop screens :P What size are they?

The RAM is fairly new? That's good, I guess you could sell/trade it, though not for much value. I don't think it's possible to get a buyer for the internal wireless card though.

Pyong Kawaguchi
June 12th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Throw the spare parts off of your roof :)

kid908
June 12th, 2009, 08:25 PM
burn it! i wanna see what color labtops burn at (uh remove battery before u burn it if u do)

Syuusuke
June 12th, 2009, 08:35 PM
What type of hard drive do they use?

BobtheGreatII
June 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
What type of hard drive do they use?

HDD, and only one has a hard drive and it's 120gig

Mr Buckshot
June 13th, 2009, 12:07 AM
laptop HDDs are typically 2.5" 5400rpm. If you have a friend who owns a low-capacity-HDD version of the Playstation 3, sell him the hard drive (it's easily upgradeable without voiding the warranty).

I'd say the hard drives are the easiest to sell, followed by the RAM. The wireless cards, being internal ones, will be hard to sell. Lots of laptop owners aren't keen on opening up their laptops and physically replacing parts in case components like the wireless card break down, because laptop servicing just isn't as simple/safe as desktop servicing.

Cojafoji
June 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
there's a piece of nvidia tech that turns old laptops into extra lcd's. lemme find the link...

BobtheGreatII
June 13th, 2009, 12:36 AM
there's a piece of nvidia tech that turns old laptops into extra lcd's. lemme find the link...

Please do. lol.

paladin
June 13th, 2009, 01:53 AM
Garbage? Just a thought...