...what do I do now?

Choking Victim
June 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Post threads about it on modacity.

ohh...

rossmum
June 13th, 2009, 12:10 AM
oh nice you're posting again

well you could finish some models for starters............

Mr Buckshot
June 13th, 2009, 12:11 AM
bang a prostitute Get on left 4 Dead and play co-op with us.

Pretty much what I am doing right now (I just graduated in May), and then near the end of summer I'll refresh my mind with some academics to prep for uni.

e: forgot to say congratulations. You planning to work immediately, or are you going on to post-secondary education?

Rorschach
June 13th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Just graduated? Welcome to the club.

ultama121
June 13th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Await further instruction.

legionaire45
June 13th, 2009, 12:19 AM
More like a "I might be back, on and off" thread then anything btw. The main reasons that I stopped posting here, besides the glut of actual content, was that little F in Physics...

Thanks for the congrats. Still haven't quite figured out what I want to do with myself - I haven't had much luck finding a proper job, although to be honest I haven't put too much effort in. Going to RIT later and going to do a lot of work study there, but I wanted to get some extra cash during the summer, if possible, to pay off laptop, textbooks and shit.

Oh, and finish models? xD, that would require effort and....wait...oh shit, I have free time!

ICEE
June 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
theres always the fetal position. OR you could spend some time doing drugs. Why not?

paladin
June 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Congrats, welcome to teh suck

Advancebo
June 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
You have to wait 0 minutes and try again.

flibitijibibo
June 13th, 2009, 12:29 AM
What I did after graduation:

Part 1: Gave out job applications to people who didn't have the balls to say "we're not hiring your kind" (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16288).
Part 2: Gave up and am now just playing games/making that sound for Sel until I move to FSU.

Though, a friend of mine has been working with the iPhone app SDK, so I may (beg to) work with him on some games or something. If a few dozen hours of dicking with iPhone audio can possibly make $1000+, why not?

InnerGoat
June 13th, 2009, 01:01 AM
Congrats on your unlock achievement

Atty
June 13th, 2009, 01:21 AM
get drunk, get high, and get fucked

enjoy college

Cortexian
June 13th, 2009, 01:28 AM
Part 1: Gave out job applications to people who didn't have the balls to say "we're not hiring your kind" (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16288).
"Hey, we're not hiring your kind here!"

"Huh?"

"Your droids, They'll have to wait outside!"

"Ohhh..."

Anyways, yea decide if you want to work for awhile before post-secondary or go straight to it.

paladin
June 13th, 2009, 01:48 AM

enjoy college

You sir, would be a party bro

mech
June 13th, 2009, 01:55 AM

enjoy college

:snafubar:

nooBBooze
June 13th, 2009, 06:14 AM
So I just finished highschool
As my employer and friend once said,
welcome to the shit.

MetKiller Joe
June 13th, 2009, 08:09 AM
welcome to the shit.

A former RS co-worker of mine once told me something similar. My response was, "Not if you play your cards right." Two months before graduation, I wasn't thinking about school, I was thinking of how much work I could get done over the summer. I know people a year ahead of me that miss high school; I feel bad for these people if high school will be the high point in their life.

Congratulations on finally making it out, though, and I'll hopefully be seeing you at RIT. What's your major? CS, Photography, or?

Random
June 13th, 2009, 11:10 AM
You sir, would be a party bro

You can still do well in college though.

ODX
June 13th, 2009, 11:36 AM
So what valuable information could you hand down to a newcomer? (Me)

paladin
June 13th, 2009, 12:14 PM
get drunk before an exam. you pass wonderfully

TVTyrant
June 13th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Get money, fuck bitches, smoke trees.

ICEE
June 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM

Highschool is 100% grade A bullshit. From the other side, the only thing that matters is getting the grades to go to the school you want to go to. Friends are important, but romantic relationships from highschool will not last, should not last, and will ruin 75% of your time. It took me 3 years to figure this shit out. All that is important is getting through the classes and then finding a way to have fun with your mates after school. So many kids concern themselves with what their "peers" think of them in highschool. I ask myself, why? Look around you at school and ask yourself which of these people's opinions are honestly worth a teaspoon of horse shit. Maybe a few chicks in there, but like I said, any relationship you have with them will be short term and not worth killing yourself over.

nooBBooze
June 13th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I feel bad for these people if high school will be the high point in their life.
That's not the point.
Shit's just way simpler at HS but that doesn't mean it was better or a "high point."

Rook
June 13th, 2009, 01:22 PM
Grats Legion. :D

Now we just sit around and see what life brings our way! or something

MetKiller Joe
June 13th, 2009, 01:34 PM
That's not the point.
Shit's just way simpler at HS but that doesn't mean it was better or a "high point."

That kind of simple is boring to me, but meh, to each his own. I feel that there is a Dr. House quote in there.

Limited
June 13th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Its all doom and gloom from down Legionnaire, doom and gloom.

College, then University perhaps? Either that or get a job :O Party hard now though, you wont have much time after that.

nooBBooze
June 13th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I feel that there is a Dr. House quote in there.
That would surprise me.
Feel free to post a relevant episode though as I would love to get into that show.:mech2:

legionaire45
June 13th, 2009, 03:16 PM
xD, I'm not much of a party animal, although I'm going to homework burning party on Wednesday.

Advice to other new high schoolers:

Start thinking about your college stuff now. You don't need to know which college you want to go to at this point, but you do want to at least know what colleges you are interested in and such, especially if you plan on going to some fancy-smancy expensive private college halfway across the world :P.

Keep your grades high, take difficult classes and don't be afraid to ask the teachers for help if they are available. If not, the internet can provide a lot of help for you. Books are great too - I wouldn't have passed AP Calc without the AP Calc prep book our teacher pirated and sent around. Amazon had it for like, $10 or so, and if you use those books you are basically guaranteed to pass the class.

In California at least up until recently, you could take community college courses for free if you were enrolled in High School. Take classes over the summer. It will save you money and also help you with your high school stuff. Before 10th grade I wasn't much of a math person and I barely passed Geometry with a C. I retook a college Algebra class and ended up not only liking math, but doing rather well. If there are any community colleges nearby, take some classes! Hell, take some fun ones too, especially if your school doesn't have any electives you like. The only thing you need to get into one of these classes is a signature from the Principle or something, which shouldn't be too difficult to get.

Other things that colleges like are community service and extracurricular activities. I was lucky that my school had FIRST Robotics, because that was fun, taught me a lot and looked good on my applications. If you school has that or something that you like, don't be afraid to join and work your way up the ranks. Community service, well, do whatever floats your boat; Religious stuff, public service, whatever, colleges will like it all.

If your school has a college counselor, make friends with them. I was lucky that my school only has about 500 people total and a graduating class of 52 people, so everybody knows everybody. In a larger school it will be more difficult, but if you go in every once in a while, ask a question or two, ask for a scholarship or something, whatever, they'll know your face and be more willing to help.

And on the topic of high schools being simple - I guess it depends. I haven't been to a "real" public high school with thousands of students at any given time, so I can't really say about that. I know that the school that I went to, High Tech LA, was pretty difficult, especially this Senior year. I took AP Calc and Honors Physics (our physics teacher didn't have the AP credentials but taught it at AP/College level anyway since she is lovably insane) this year, which are two of the hardest classes my school offers. Others went ahead and took Stats and an elective. So I guess a lot of the difficulty during High School is what you impose on yourself.

Any other specific questions, go ahead and AIM/Xfire me.

Mr Buckshot
June 13th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Yeah, books are really good for some but not all AP exams.

My school hosts AP exams but doesn't have any official courses. Did Calc AB in 10th grade, Calc BC + Stats in 11th grade, and Physics C + English Lang + World History this year. I totally regret not getting a book to prep for World History, because it turns out my History SL curriculum wasn't good enough, and I have a feeling I got a 3 or lower on the exam. However I did borrow books for Stats and Physics C and they really were godsends and I probably wouldn't have got a 5 in stats without the book (confident of a 5 in physics, only 75% needed anyway). I didn't need books for Calc because my in-school math HL course had the same curriculum. English is really hit or miss anyway so I didn't bother getting a book.

Nice, I didn't know about Cali high schools letting you guys take community college classes for free for supplementary lessons. Where I live, you have to pay for night classes in which case it's really more worthwhile to just hire an evening/weekend tutor.

As for pirating those preparatory books, I don't have anything against that, but it can be quite irritating to have to scroll so much when reading on a computer screen, so I typically just borrow them or buy them secondhand (they depreciate a LOT in value even after just one year). I remember picking up a 2006 SAT Chem book for five dollars to prep for a 2008 exam.

whoa there are quite a few Modacity members going to RIT...

NuggetWarmer
June 13th, 2009, 04:57 PM
send nugget money

anonymous1337
June 13th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Or dont :D

flibitijibibo
June 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
And when you don't, send it all to flibitijibibo instead.

Horns
June 13th, 2009, 06:28 PM
bang a prostitute Get on left 4 Dead and play co-op with us.

Pretty much what I am doing right now (I just graduated in May), and then near the end of summer I'll refresh my mind with some academics to prep for uni.

e: forgot to say congratulations. You planning to work immediately, or are you going on to post-secondary education?

University of Northern Iowa?

thehoodedsmack
June 13th, 2009, 07:40 PM
^ Short for university... =__=

Mr Buckshot
June 13th, 2009, 09:08 PM
University of Northern Iowa?

lol, I'm going to California :P

right now my summer consists not only of playing games, but helping out at my mom's job from time to time (I don't really get paid, I might get a $20 bill after a few times, that's about it). It's a good experience learning how to tutor some of the students my mom gets, in case I ever decide to get a job in education sometime.

Also, re-watch the Modern Warfare 2 trailer over and over again if you're as much of a diehard fan of the previous game as I am :P I make sure to watch it at least twice a day.

Sel
June 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM
hey look who it is

lets make beautiful sourcemods together

Mr Buckshot
June 13th, 2009, 09:12 PM
sourcemods

L4D mods please :D

mR_r0b0to
June 14th, 2009, 04:15 AM
well, congratulations to all :)
i too, have graduated high school