PDA

View Full Version : so my computer

Rook
June 17th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Well guys help me out here. I got everything to build my computer yesterday and put it together to the best of my knowledge. However my monitor will not be detected and I don't know what the problem is.. I do see a small red light on the card and someone said that means its not getting power, but it is?

Also conflicting specs on newegg and the XFX site have me stumped.. newegg saays it needs 2 6-pins and XFX site says 1 6-pin. I only saw one 1 on the card and I am stumped..

Any idea what the problem would be please??

newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150337
xfx: http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/graphiccards/hd%204000series/4850.aspx#2

then again I just assume its the card why else cant I see the video and go into POST?

Should also mention I'm pretty sure it's getting power beause all the CPU/case fans spin and the LED lights come on.. I can open/close the dvd tray.

This is the computer: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=10878712

Timo
June 17th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Don't know too much, but how much amps is being provided to the graphics card by the power supply? (+12V rail I think).

Rook
June 17th, 2009, 05:45 AM
No idea I'm really new at this how could I tell? I did check something that trinx pointed out too me, the fan was pointing down on the graphics card and didn't check to think that one. [because all the case fans are on] and that fan isn't going.

Now I've taken the card out like 3 times and if the fan isn't going whats up?

Timo
June 17th, 2009, 05:57 AM
On the side of the powersupply there should be a table, telling you how much amps is provided for different voltages. There should be a number of amps given for +12V. The fan not going to could either be what I think it is, or the card is stuffed.

NullZero
June 17th, 2009, 06:07 AM
To be honest, I would update the power supply so you can definately say that the power is not the problem, and it will also make it a little future proof.

I think it is a +12V rail that is needed for the 4850 but not sure.

I can't stress enough how important the PSU is.

Rook
June 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Well I don't see how it could be the power supply. I put in the ATi radeon x1600 from this computer in that one and there was still no display. :/ The x1600 doesn't require any plug ins from the PSU.

Also tried a different monitor and nothing.. wtf?!

updated my first post with the components..

[07:18] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: do you have to get cases with PSU's :O
[07:18] Rook§hift: lmfao yea
[07:18] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: ; ; am cry
[07:19] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: did you ever get anything to display originally with the new pc?
[07:20] Rook§hift: wat do u mean
[07:20] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: you have built this pc haven't you?
[07:20] Rook§hift: yes its the one that wont display any picture.
[07:21] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: yeah, has it ever displayed a picture? or did it display a picture at first, now it doesn't?
[07:21] Rook§hift: no man i just got the parts lastnight. i started building it at like 3am in the morning its 7:21 right now.. its been doing this display thing since i first got it together
[07:22] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: if it hasn't displayed a picture, it could be anything in the machine you've built that could be faulty
[07:22] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: hmm
[07:23] Rook§hift: this is annoying
[07:26] Rook§hift: FML
[07:26] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: don't know if it matters: motherboard CPU type = Phenom II X3 / X4
[07:26] Rook§hift: I'm tired as shit anyway.. im gonna get some Zzz's and call my uncle later
[07:26] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: you have X2, bios may not be compatible
[07:26] Rook§hift: yeah I asked several people before i got that
[07:26] Rook§hift: it should atleast POSt tho?
[07:26] Rook§hift: show a picture..
[07:27] Rook§hift: shouldnt it?
[07:27] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: do you have another screen? hdmi your tv? anything?
[07:27] Rook§hift: yeah i tried it on 2 sceens
[07:27] Rook§hift: 2 cards
[07:27] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: none worked?
[07:27] Rook§hift: nope
[07:27] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: have you tried your old pc on the screens
[07:28] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: well
[07:28] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: you're on it now
[07:28] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: lol
[07:28] Rook§hift: both screens work
[07:28] Rook§hift: they were in use
[07:28] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: ok, so it's definately computer
[07:28] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: sorry, just trying to isolate things
[07:28] Rook§hift: i know
[07:28] Rook§hift: i was meticulous about putting it togehter
[07:28] Rook§hift: everythign SHOULD be right
[07:29] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: did you check you put the cpu the right way around
[07:29] {L°E°}zero | acbluflame: and that it went down vertically and not at an angle
[07:29] Rook§hift: yup the arrows matched up and i slid it in there and locked it into position

I'm tired so if anyone has any idea I'd love to see the answer when I wake up

FluffyDucky™
June 17th, 2009, 06:32 AM
Compatible with your motherboard? Connected properly? Fan not working would mean there is no power going to the card tbh. I dunno, I'm taking guesses! :)

NullZero
June 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
If your uncle can't fix it, might be worth taking a few photos of the machine, uploading it.

Like ducky said, you might have missed a connection accidently, but we may be able to spot it.

Rook
June 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Well I feel a little stupid.. that little 8 pin thing on the motherboard didn't have anything plugged into it. and I plugged the square looking 4 pin in and I'm at "loading files for windows" or whatever now to try and install windows 7 64 bit. If I have any other problems I'll post thanks guys!

Amit
June 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Good to hear. Keep us updated. This case is quite intriguing.

=sw=warlord
June 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Your board uses 8 pins?
Don't use 4 pin plugs as it could cause damage to your board, its 8 pins for a reason.

Rook
June 17th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Your board uses 8 pins?
Don't use 4 pin plugs as it could cause damage to your board, its 8 pins for a reason.

Well... there are no 8 pin plugs so I just plugged in that square looking 4 pin to the top section of the place on the motherboard. Everything seems to be looking fine and I'm posting from the computer. Got windows 7 64bit up on it and am installing some games.

will post some pictures

Timo
June 17th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Didn't think of that, i've missed that 4 pin plug a couple of times too :x

Rook
June 17th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Hmm I might look again later then, seems to be working fine with just the one is there any danger of running it like that?