PDA

View Full Version : Making a Dedicated Server?

English Mobster
June 20th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I know, I know, I can pay to have one uploaded to Gameservers.net, but I have no money.

However, what I DO have is a 30 terabyte server on the other side of this wall right here *knocks on wall*.

Currently, I use it to upload gay movies for use on any Xbox 360s in the house.
However, I want to be able to run a Halo CE dedicated server on it as well. It has 30 terabytes worth of storage, and is directly connected to a FIOS line, giving it an up/down speed of REALLY FUCKING FAST (about 2 MB/sec down, 1 MB/sec up, iirc).

But I have ZERO knowledge of what to do. I understand some parts of init.txt (mostly sv_map "coldsnap" "oddball"), but I have no clue where the server gets the knowledge of what "oddball" is. I take it CE has to be installed and any maps/gametypes in place in the server's installation of CE, but that's about it.
I have a general idea of what rec0 is, but I have no clue how to implement it/use it.
Basically, I'm a noobie.

So. Halo is not installed on the server (yet), but what, exactly, would I do to make a dedicated server which can run 24/7? What would I need that won't come straight out of the HCE/HEK box? While I could search and try to figure it out myself, I would much rather have some seasoned vets teach me what to do.

E:

Haha, Mods. Ha. Ha.

Kaishounashi
June 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I think there's several threads on this forum about this topic actually, but this is the guide I followed when setting one up at work:

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com/showthread.php?t=65330

Very straightforward and easy to understand.

Roostervier
June 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Might wanna edit a certain part of your post out, EM.

NullZero
June 21st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Might wanna edit a certain part of your post out, EM.

that? :O

Syuusuke
June 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM
Oh there was something else mentioned, such as the means of getting those "gay movies".
--
Anyway, What you want to do is start using the server WITHOUT rec0, makes things easier and if there are problems, you won't have to deal with rec0. Don't jump the gun =)

Next, most of the data you use for CE will be used from the dedi, so yes, all the gametypes (somewhere in My Documents/My Games/Halo CE/<stuff here>) that you have made in CE will be recognizable by the dedi.

Ever noticed that extra .exe in the Halo CE directory, it's called haloceded.exe
That's your dedicated server, it will look like a console when you open it, nothing to graphical, but it's good if its simple like that.

To get started, you might wanna get the maps you want and use this simple init.txt

sv_name "Drinks On Me" //Name of server goes in these quotes
sv_public 1 // 1 means it will show up on Internet, 0 means LAN
sv_motd motd.txt //your lovely motd that shows up on the bottom when you hold F2, you may want to use the entire directory (i.e. C:\motd.txt instead of just motd.txt)
sv_maxplayers 16 //kinda self-explanatory
sv_rcon_password getdrunk //this too
sv_mapcycle_timeout 10 //the amount of time players will be in post-game lobby
sv_log_enabled 1 //logging enabled
sv_logfile "slog"
sv_log_start
sv_log_echo_chat 1 //all the chat that goes on in game will show up on console
sv_map "bloodgulch" "ctf" //and this is where you want to set up your maps and gametypes
So if you want to add more maps, just add more of those sv_map linesPORT FORWARDING, it's important. If you don't know how to, I don't know how to help because the way its done varies with firewall/router models. But if you do figure it out, forward ports 2302 and 2303.

I'm sure there is a guide out there already, but, ironically, I'm being lazy and just giving you the stuff. I'm pretty sure I left stuff out, so someone help me out.

klange
June 21st, 2009, 10:29 AM
You should use sv_mapcycle_add for each map and then run sv_mapcycle_begin. That's the "right way" to do a map cycle. sv_map is to immediately switch to a new map.

English Mobster
June 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Ok. I got my dedi up. Now, how do I use rec0?

tythespy
June 21st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Can't you do anything on your own
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14731