PDA

View Full Version : Verizon vs. Cox

Donut
June 25th, 2009, 02:36 PM
so yeah im moving in 5 days, and my mom wants me to decide what internet service we should get. either verizon fios or the cox bundle thing. so if any of you guys who have either cox or verizon would like to list the pros and cons, that would be nice.

InnerGoat
June 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM
FIOS of course! It's the best.

jcap
June 25th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Verizon Fios. This is almost a no-brainer :p

There's no cons. Depending on where you live, it can be less expensive then even the minimum package their competitors offer.

Cox is crap.

SnaFuBAR
June 25th, 2009, 03:37 PM
FIOS. why would you think of getting anything else??

Roostervier
June 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
If you have the option of FIOS, GET IT. Don't have that option where I live :(

Donut
June 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
alright. iv had verizon, but we have had some problems with them (customer support :fail:), but the internet speeds were unparalleled by anything else i have ever used, so i think ill stick with verizon. thanks guys :)

Warsaw
June 25th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I don't have FiOs in my area, but I do have Verizon DSL. It's great at 7mb/s when it works, but lightning storms seem to take it offline with every strike, making it very irritating to use in bad weather.

ICEE
June 25th, 2009, 07:02 PM
oh goodie does this mean your actually getting a cell phone?

Donut
June 25th, 2009, 08:10 PM
oh goodie does this mean your actually getting a cell phone?
no... lol

legionaire45
June 25th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Go with the cocks.

(If your area has FIOS, go with Verizon. If it doesn't, go with Verizon. Cox sucks....something).

Warsaw
June 25th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Cox sucks itself. :ohdear:

klange
June 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Verizon Fios. This is almost a no-brainer :p

There's no cons. Depending on where you live, it can be less expensive then even the minimum package their competitors offer.
FIOS blocks outgoing on port 80, last I checked. Has that changed?

jcap
June 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
That's only been a rumor (once true?) that has been busted since like last year. However, they CAN block different ports regionally (this what some results said), so in one area you might have port 80 blocked, but in other areas it could be open. They also changed their TOS dramatically to remove the clause where they said you were not allowed to run any form of server with their service.

Even if port 80 is blocked, a lot of ISPs do it anyway. If you have a dramatic need for it and you know the competitors don't block it, then I guess that could sway your decision.