PDA

View Full Version : Ram slots fubar after bios upgrade.

=sw=warlord
June 27th, 2009, 08:49 AM
In Febuary got given a new motherboard after i sent one for a repair and well didnt get it back after 7 months.
The board i have now is a Asus P5n32-SLI premium And it worked wonderfully untill i upgraded the bios to see if there was some improvement in another issue i was getting.
Now though 2 of the four slot no longer work correctly, one slot wont even pass the power on self test and the other causes windows to load the error that a registry file is corrupt.

I am assuming that the bios upgrade has caused this as before i was able to run on 4GB and now i can only use 2 of 4 sticks of ram.
The memory modules i am using are OCZ Nvidia 2GB modules (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227377) so i am positive that these are not the issue.
I have tried downgrading the bios and have been unsuccessfull and so have had to revert back to the latest bios.
Could it be something to do with the northbridge chipset causing the issue or is it truely to do with the bios?

I am reluctant to apply for another RMA due to the length of time it took for Asus to realise they had lost my board the last time.
Another issue i have is i am using a KVM switch and when my pc is booting up if the KVM is set to xbox input and i switch back to the pc input the monitor goes into sleep mode, it is neither the monitor, kvm nor video card that is causing the issue so could it be due to some vista update that is causing this issue?

legionaire45
June 29th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I'd bet it's the new BIOS doing it, but if you want to make sure go ahead and make yourself a Memtest86+ (http://www.memtest.org/) CD and boot off of that. Test the memory in the affected slot that works and see if it isn't the ram that's the problem. Doubtful, but worth a look.

Are you using a windows based tool to flash the bios? If you are, try using a floppy, CD or FD, whatever your board supports. It should include instructions on how to flash with one of those in the manual.

Seems like a crappy BIOS update that's either picky about RAM or just really buggy =/.

=sw=warlord
June 29th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Ok thank's for that i forgot all about using that.
Il test it out later and post the results.

AAA
June 29th, 2009, 01:26 PM
and also remember, before updating the bios you should set everything back to default settings. Could cause issues...

=sw=warlord
June 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
and also remember, before updating the bios you should set everything back to default settings. Could cause issues...
I cleared the CMOS which should have done it for me.

Pyong Kawaguchi
June 29th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Try throwing in some older ram if you have any, it could be that you destroyed it.

=sw=warlord
June 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Try throwing in some older ram if you have any, it could be that you destroyed it.
The two sticks i have running work perfectly in the two slots that arnt the issue but stick them into the two problem slots and all hell breaks loose, i have tried switching them all through see if the memory sticks were the issue and they werent.