PDA

View Full Version : system restore XP

nick3d
July 3rd, 2009, 12:29 PM
Hi all,

I'm currently down my sisters and they have asked me to fix there computer, the only thing which will fix it is a system restore, to restore the computer to factory defaults, she isn't bothered about all files being lost as for it was given to her...

Iv tried the F10 theory whilst the system is booting up, but that isn't working, could someone please tell me how to do this.

Thanks in advance

Nick3D

Limited
July 3rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Is it a laptop or regular PC?

It also depends whether it is OEM OS, if so put the installation CD of XP into the pc and there should be somewhere a place to restore to factory settings. OEM disks have OEM Software written on the serial sticker.

nick3d
July 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
I havent got an installation CD and its a Desktop PC,

StankBacon
July 3rd, 2009, 12:46 PM
if she doesn't have a restore partition, your going to need to find an xp disc and do a fresh install.

nick3d
July 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
You know whether its downloadable from anywhere? :S

DaaxGhost
July 3rd, 2009, 01:12 PM
F2 or F12 on most PC's nowadays. It should say up in the top right hand corner.

If thats still what were talking about :\

nick3d
July 3rd, 2009, 01:36 PM
That doesnt work aswell

Limited
July 3rd, 2009, 01:40 PM
You know whether its downloadable from anywhere? :S
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e&displaylang=en

StankBacon
July 3rd, 2009, 01:43 PM
thats just sp3, not the entire OS.

you don;t have a restore partition, so pressing any key on boot will do nothing.... you also can't find your restore or install CD, so you shit out of luck unless you wanna rebuy xp or go the illegal route.

jcap
July 3rd, 2009, 01:47 PM
You would need to use the CDs that came with the computer if there is no other option for "restoring" it from another partition. If need be, you could probably try using the operating system disc that came with another computer. What brand is this, by the way (Dell always packages their discs with the computer)?

Do not ask if there is any other way you can obtain a copy of the CDs. Manufacturers do not offer any download of the operating system because it's Microsoft's.

SnaFuBAR
July 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM

you don;t have a restore partition, so pressing any key on boot will do nothing.... you also can't find your restore or install CD, so you shit out of luck unless you wanna rebuy xp or go the illegal route.

There are ways of recovering your xp cd key from your installation :)

Limited
July 3rd, 2009, 02:49 PM

Uh, that is SP3 XP, it is full XP.

There are legal ways to get your XP key if Windows is installed. Combine the both and boom :)

StankBacon
July 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Uh, that is SP3 XP, it is full XP.

wrong.

it is the standalone sp3 installation used for deploying to multiple pcs... i downloaded it and checked.

and i know of all the ways to get your cd key (http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/) (is there an illegal way?), but he still has to be sure if its oem or retail, or dell which uses different keys then both... then "acquire" the appropriate iso.