PDA

View Full Version : Lighting: Interior vs Exterior

Siliconmaster
July 4th, 2009, 03:06 AM
In the sky tags, there are options for ambient color and brightness for both interior and exterior lighting. My question is, how does the game know what classifies as interior or exterior? Does it use portals? Right now my map is temporarily portal-free to make my life easier, and the same soft blue duskish glow outside is being applied inside the bases as well. Note that the "interior" lighting and color are both set to zero and black. It looks to me like the game is thinking of everything in the map as "exterior".

Insight anyone?

CtrlAltDestroy
July 4th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Whether a region is classified as interior or exterior is determined by how much of the skybox is present in the PVS (potentially visible set). Note that a region is not strictly 'exterior' or 'interior', but interpolated between the two based on this.

Siliconmaster
July 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Interesting. Well, that's a little frustrating, since there's no skybox whatsoever in some of those areas. You have to go around a corner, or walk outside and look up to even see the sky. :/ And having a strange blue glow everywhere is a little eerie. :P

CtrlAltDestroy
July 4th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Well, you mentioned that your map is unportalled, meaning the skybox is most likely unculled in areas where it isnt even partially visible.

Siliconmaster
July 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
That is a distinct possibility. I'll put this issue on the backburner until I do the portalling, and then I'll report back. Thanks!