PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 System Failure

Delta4907
July 11th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I've had my xbox since December of 2006, (old model, no HDMI port), and it's only gotten the RRoD once, which was in February of 2008. Today I decided to fire up GTA IV, only to find that it freezes when the game starts, so I cleaned it using isoprpyl alcohol (was recommended to me) and warm water. (360 was on during this time, it went auto-Away). So I went to move the analog stick so it would go back to normal, and nothing was happening. Restarted and it froze during the load up screen. Restarted again to get the system failure screen, with E71 at the bottom. After looking up solutions, the screen came up again with the E79 error, (both Dashboard errors). I've tried everything, and I'm about to request a repair on xbox.com, which is going to cost me 100 dollars since I don't have a warranty anymore. If worst comes to worst, I could try turning it into a repair of the 3 Red Lights, which costs nothing, and they might end up fixing the other problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

If anyone is wondering still, this is what happens:
ZQZ1AitSakQ
Either that, or the loadup screen freezes.

Woops, meant to say E79 instead of E74.

Saggy
July 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Have you tried this?

Clear Any Failed system updates that cause the console to error.

With the console off, press and hold the sync up button (the small white one)
While holding the sync button press the power button to turn on the console
Continue to hold the sync button until the Console has booted up completely.
During the boot process the console should clear any failed updates, allowing you to use it normally.

Also, E74 is not a dashboard error, it's a hardware error. That you could probably get repaired for free since it's linked so closely with one of the many causes for the 3 red lights.

sdavis117
July 11th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Isn't E71 a GPU failure?

Delta4907
July 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Have you tried this?

Also, E74 is not a dashboard error, it's a hardware error. That you could probably get repaired for free since it's linked so closely with one of the many causes for the 3 red lights.

Yes I've tried that, and nothing changes. Sorry I meant to say E79 not E74.

annihilation
July 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

Saggy
July 11th, 2009, 10:13 PM
And you've tried playing without your hard drive?

jcap
July 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Try the above solutions and anything anyone here can recommend. It probably is something relating to the hard drive, the connection between the hard drive and the console, or the dashboard update. The error is happening just as the Xbox attempts to execute the dashboard code. If all else fails, then do as directed below:

You have a few options here to fuck up your 360 to get it into their support without paying a single cent. You can:

Call them and lie, saying you keep getting the RRoD 80% of the time you turn it on.
Wrap your 360 in towels or leave it running for days to the point you cook the system to a 3 ring state.

Saggy
July 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Wrap your 360 in towels or leave it running for days to the point you cook the system to a 3 ring state.
Not possible. Xbox detects that CPU is overheated and shuts off power to both GPU and CPU. Only way to truly overheat to the point of cooking it would be to remove the fan.

Delta4907
July 11th, 2009, 10:38 PM
I've tried the hold the sync up button while on startup, I've tried starting up without the hard drive. Both attempts it did not boot correctly and starts with just a black screen and 1 quadrant lights up red. If I start it normally, it freezes during the loadup screen or the above happens. Could you elaborate on the towel method? What does it do exactly?

Saggy
July 11th, 2009, 10:42 PM
The only thing I can suggest is searching up on how to give your Xbox the 3 red lights and send it to Microsoft to get them to repair it for free.

annihilation
July 11th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I've tried the hold the sync up button while on startup, I've tried starting up without the hard drive. Both attempts it did not boot correctly and starts with just a black screen and 1 quadrant lights up red. If I start it normally, it freezes during the loadup screen or the above happens. Could you elaborate on the towel method? What does it do exactly?

If the console reset did not work then your only option would be to send it to MS.

Delta4907
July 11th, 2009, 10:59 PM
The only thing I can suggest is searching up on how to give your Xbox the 3 red lights and send it to Microsoft to get them to repair it for free.
:O When I went to go turn it on to try what you said, it turned on fine with no problems. After it originally broke, I unplugged everything and detached the system from everything. I just re-set up everything and it worked, although I noticed dust blocking a few breathing holes in the power box, so I blew into them, and to my surprise it started up fine. I'm going to test a few games, so I'll report back later.

Saggy
July 11th, 2009, 11:10 PM
It could of been that your power adapter wasn't fully plugged into your Xbox and your Hard Drive wasn't getting enough power. If that's the case everything should be fine :p

Delta4907
July 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I really have to say, yesterday (11th), its 12:14 AM now, everything that could go wrong, was, and the minute yesterday ended and it became the 12th, everything started working again. Like my two front USB ports didn't seem to recognize anything I put in them, and just now when I decided to try it again, it worked. Creepy. Anyways, all of my games work, and GTA isn't freezing anymore. If anything happens I'll post here again instead of making a new topic, but for now, problem solved. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Delta4907
July 12th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Alright, its happening again, but there's no red lights. I turned it on, and I was doing something else at the moment so it went auto-away. I tried to move the analog stick and nothing was happening. Now all it does is freeze at the loadup screen. The power button still lights up green. The console is responsive since I can open and close the tray. I'm not sure why this is happening, it just worked fine last night.

E: I unplugged and replugged in everything except the AV cable, which I just tried last, and only after I did that it worked. I think the cable is just too old and it must get loose easily. Luckily my friend has a spare. Would this cause the 360 to light up red one quadrant though?

Saggy
July 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
AV cable would cause 4 red lights, not one. I think it could be the power adapter though. If there isn't enough power going through to the Hard Drive, it could cause those errors, but usually it would be the 3 red lights. Try a different power supply (unless that's what you meant in your post).

Delta4907
July 12th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hmm, it might be the outlet. I changed it the day all this started happening since the one below it is too wide and the plug slips out easily if i accidentally hit it. I don't want to plug it into a power strip but if I have to I will.

Delta4907
July 12th, 2009, 05:15 PM
God dammit this is pissing me off. I've tried 3 games, all freeze about 8 minutes into it, and I just tried again and it's freezing at the loadup screen. However the console is still responsive in all cases since I can still open the tray.

Saggy
July 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Sounds like it's on the verge of getting the 3 red lights. That's sort of what was happening to mine, but it only happened once (Popped game in, froze. Restarted 360, froze on load, restarted 3 red lights). It ended up being a GPU error.

Delta4907
July 12th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Heh, as soon as you said that I went to try it and lo and behold I get the 3 red lights. Well, on the bright side I won't have to pay for it to be fixed. I just hope that I'll get a new 360 instead of this old piece of shit in return.

Saggy
July 12th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Post the error code by starting up your 360 and holding sync and pressing eject 4 times.

Delta4907
July 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Post the error code by starting up your 360 and holding sync and pressing eject 4 times.

:\ Every time you say that it's after I've already disconnected and got it almost package ready to be shipped. I'll edit this post when I get the code.

Ok the code is 0102, which refers to E18:

Error in the "Digital Backbone" (CPU/GPU/RAM), this is usually caused by a cold solder joint between the GPU and the mainboard.
There are two theories to fixing this one deals with the "X" clamps that hold down the chips (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=595746). The other involves re-Heating the chips (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=484726&view=findpost&p=3550914). DO NOT attempt either of these if your console is still under warranty. If your console is still under warranty return it to the store where it was purchased or call MS to have it replaced.

Dotkito92
July 12th, 2009, 05:57 PM
And that's why you don't use Microsoft products :)

Saggy
July 12th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Ok, yeah, that's pretty much the same error I had, just a different error code. I'd send it to Microsoft.

Delta4907
July 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Ok, yeah, that's pretty much the same error I had, just a different error code. I'd send it to Microsoft.

Alright. Thanks for the help.