PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Game on Secondary Monitor

Saggy
July 14th, 2009, 02:21 AM
So I have dual monitors. I have a small on on the left (my primary) and a fairly large one on the right (my secondary). I want to be able to play my games on the big monitor (my secondary). How would I go about doing this? atm whenever I start a game it goes to my primary, obviously. Right clicking on the program in the taskbar does nothing because there is no option to "Move to other Desktop". So yeah, any help would be awesome...

Lateksi
July 14th, 2009, 02:55 AM
If you have nVidia graphics card I think you can choose the monitor you want to use with different applications. (nvcplui.exe) I'm not entirely sure, though. ATI cards probably have the same kind of tool too.

InnerGoat
July 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Also some games have options in the config to force it to another display. Halo for example uses the -adapter "x" argument in the shortcut target.

Saggy
July 14th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the tip innergoat Haruhi. I found out that when you install UltraMon, it adds some tabs to the property menus of shorcuts on the desktop. I was able to set the games I wanted to start on the Secondary monitor.

Corndogman
July 14th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, I was going to suggest ultramon, but you beat me to it. You can send things to the other monitor from the taskbar, or edit things to start on a certain monitor.

Saggy
July 28th, 2009, 01:39 PM
How would I go about setting a Steam game to run on my secondary monitor? Are the any commands I can use?

kid908
July 28th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Just a thought...ever thought about switching the monitors? from secondary to primary? I donno what you actually using it for so yeah...just a suggestion.

TomClancy
July 29th, 2009, 05:40 PM
When I had a dual-monitor setup I made the larger of the two monitors the primary, this allowed me to run all my games by default on that one. (Including Steam games.)

king_nothing_
July 30th, 2009, 04:33 AM
Just make the one on the right the primary, then move your taskbar back over to the left one. That's what I do. The only downside I've noticed is that when a new icon automatically goes on the desktop (like if you download something to the desktop) it gets put on the right monitor. Not that big of a deal, though.

Saggy
July 30th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Woah, forgot about this thread. I did end up setting my right monitor as my primary. Hate how everything I open goes on that side, but I can just drag it over :p

BTW, thanks for the suggestions everyone.