PDA

View Full Version : I swear to God I am fucking cursed...

English Mobster
July 16th, 2009, 10:47 PM
:smith:
I've reinstalled Halo many times now, and I'm still getting this fucking error.
It started when I installed OS. My text disappeared entirely, nothing in the chatbox, nothing on the screen.
I have my Halo on my portable hard drive, if it helps any.
I reinstalled Halo, but to no avail.
In fact, Halo was working on my laptop, but not on my desktop. As soon as I reinstalled Halo on my desktop, the chat on my laptop stopped working.
In the end, I nuked my desktop's entire hard drive and installed Windows 7. I just booted up Halo and joined the Bungnull's Synapse testing server, and I STILL HAVE NO FUCKING TEXT.
I have nuked the fucking hard drive and installed DirectX 11, yet I am still getting this error, PLUS it has spread to my laptop, which is also running Windows 7.
That msxmlmenu shit doesn't help any. I just took a fresh install of Halo right now, installed it on my C drive, moved my maps into it, and still NO TEXT. It can't have anything to do with Halo... But then again, it can't have anything to do with any other file in my hard drive, since I just got done nuking it.
I only have CE installed ATM, I don't have PC installed. I never use it, so I don't see the point of having PC installed. I'm thinking about installing it just to see if I still get the error there.
I have run out of fucking ideas. There is NO REASON I CAN THINK OF for the chat text to disappear when it was working fine before, other than the spirit Gods are veeerrry angry with me.

ThePlague
July 16th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Did you run msxmlenu?

English Mobster
July 16th, 2009, 10:59 PM
Yes, that's not the problem. I'm going to update the OP.

Masterz1337
July 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
I think conscars had the same problem.

English Mobster
July 16th, 2009, 11:04 PM
He did, and Jcap said he fixed it by running a DirectX update. I just updated from 9.0 to 11.0, so I shouldn't have the issue anymore, yet I do.
Unless Microsoft kept some of the old files from my previous DirectX installation, which might be a possibility.

jcap
July 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I can't remember if I asked you this in the other thread, but did you try updating your display drivers?

English Mobster
July 17th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Yes, I have.

StankBacon
July 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
reinstall windows.

jcap
July 17th, 2009, 12:45 PM
reinstall windows.
He did, and he's using Windows 7 now.

English Mobster
July 17th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Yeah, I went from XP to Windows 7, and from DirectX 9 to 11.
I still have no clue what the hell happened, and I haven't been able to fix the problem.

ThePlague
July 17th, 2009, 01:26 PM
Wait, have you been running everything as administrator?

English Mobster
July 17th, 2009, 01:29 PM
I'm the only admin on the system, so I figure it should do it automatically. However, I'll try right-clicking and running it as an admin manually.
E: No. Nothing.

SGWraith
July 17th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I had thought that you needed PC installed for text to be visible in CE? Also, did you run the Halo updater for both PC and CE?

sevlag
July 17th, 2009, 05:04 PM
try screen size man, remember how i was bitching about it when we were playing domain? set the game's screen size to something smaller, you may have blazck borders, but atleast you can see what the fuck you are typing :D

Inferno
July 17th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Try playing in windowed mode or safe mode.

killer9856
July 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM
What is your monitors resolution? Try and lower it. I think this relates to what sevlag said

English Mobster
July 17th, 2009, 07:16 PM
1280 x 1024. I'll lower it a bit, see if it helps any.
E: Ugh, everythings LOLHUGE. But I'll try to see if Halo's text works now.
E2: At 1024 x 768. No change. Adjusting Halo's settings doesn't help, either.

SGWraith
July 17th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Did you try installing Halo PC in addition to CE? I had heard that you needed both. And you are running the Halo updater, right?