PDA

View Full Version : (Movie) Gamer

Alwin Roth
July 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
So, I can't find some kind of "movie discussion thread" nor a thread about this,

So i saw this trailer of a movie called "Gamer"

Qb6tckT39xk

So, anyone here think this movie will be "cheesy"?

Discuss.

teh lag
July 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
the realities of violent video games corrupting the youth coupled with the subtle moral conflict of both removing freedom of will and the death penalty my god what a movie :suicide:

Sounds absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

Ganon
July 25th, 2009, 10:52 AM
critics will most likely hate it, but it looks like a watchable action flick. won't be anything good from what I see though.

Alwin Roth
July 25th, 2009, 10:54 AM
I thought of Death Race when I saw the trailer, since it's prisoners who have a chance of living.

At the same time, I find it kind of neat since it's the closest thing i can see to a "futuristic" war movie...

Ganon
July 25th, 2009, 10:59 AM
apparently its from the makers of crank. the protagonist is also the guy who played king leonidas in 300.

MetKiller Joe
July 25th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I'm going to watch it, if only to see the graphics show they put on with CG and learn from it. That's what I did with transformers revenge of the fallen because, let's face it, apart from the action and Megan Fox's ass that movie wasn't that good; but analyzing it, I got my $10 worth.

Then again, I usually don't like movies who's plots can be summarized in a sentence or are really just prolonged 30 minute Saturday morning cartoons prolonged and gorified for the big screen.

Lateksi
July 25th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I'd imagine a movie called Gamer would be different... Something about today or really near future. Not Running Man.

paladin
July 25th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Looks alright, But im gonna wait til its on dvd.

Phopojijo
July 25th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I dunno, looks quite a lot like it's another case of Hollywood attempting to appeal to the gaming audience without actually understanding what we are o.o

Limited
July 25th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Thought it looked pretty decent and watchable, then Ludacris appeared....

Ganon
July 25th, 2009, 05:51 PM
rated R, pray for tits tbh

Amit
July 25th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I dunno, looks quite a lot like it's another case of Hollywood attempting to appeal to the gaming audience without actually understanding what we are o.o

This is the first thing I thought when I watched that. But it's got Gerard Butler! :ohdear:

Sel
July 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Im getting a huge UT vibe from this..

Needles
July 25th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm going to watch it, if only to see the graphics show they put on with CG and learn from it. That's what I did with transformers revenge of the fallen because, let's face it, apart from the action and Megan Fox's ass that movie wasn't that good; but analyzing it, I got my $10 worth.

Heh, I was thinking about seeing it, then I looked up some reviews and it has fucking horrible ratings...

Idk about gamer, I always wait until DVD release. Plot of the whole thing looks a bit stupid ATM.

Llama Juice
July 25th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Makes me think of the game The World ends with You for the NDS.

I dunno, looks like a summer action flick, it'll be watchable :P

Alwin Roth
July 26th, 2009, 04:10 PM
rated R, pray for tits tbh

director of crank, so I'm guessing there would be sex in front of some Chinatown... or something more crazier.

Heathen
July 26th, 2009, 04:27 PM
THIS IS GAMER!!!

Alwin Roth
July 26th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Oh hell no that too...

Mr Buckshot
July 27th, 2009, 01:00 AM
I expect something like Doom or the 2008 Rambo. Stupid, but damn fun to watch.

Cortexian
August 31st, 2009, 01:00 AM
lolbump.

Protagonist is basically using the same G36 setup that I have for airsofting, lol.

Ifafudafi
September 1st, 2009, 10:30 PM
Looks to me like either:

Fags attempting to show the world that gamers are nothing but a bunch of antisocial retards who get off to the buckets of gore in the mindless, plotless, meaningless drivel they play daily...

or

Fags attempting to attract the gaming crowd by making the movie about a mindless, plotless, meaningless piece of ass reminiscent of the public image of games that all the kids are supposed to be into these days.

I'll hold out 'till the reviews, personally.

LinkandKvel
September 3rd, 2009, 01:15 AM
Thought it looked pretty decent and watchable, then Ludacris appeared....The hell is that supposed to mean? curious. He's not that bad of an actor.

ThePlague
September 3rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
was pretty good in F&TF 2 imo.

Probably won't see this movie though, rather see District 9 or Halloween II

Xetsuei
September 4th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Rotten tomatoes says no (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gamer/), so far the user reviews on Metacritic say yes (http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/gamer?q=Gamer).

DEElekgolo
September 4th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Just saw the movie. It has a good idea on how the future of the internet is going to be like. But if a mother of a video game addicted child where to see them. They would probably get the worse out of it.

ExAm
September 5th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Well, at least it has Michael C. Hall in it.

LinkandKvel
September 5th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Saw it today. Had many weird parts in it to say the least.

DEElekgolo
September 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
The whole ass and tits thing was done too much.

Needles
September 5th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Rotten tomatoes says no (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/gamer/), so far the user reviews on Metacritic say yes (http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/gamer?q=Gamer).
Oh rotten tamatoes hates everything :v:.

I wouldn't go to give it a 2/10, doesn't look that bad. They just love to seem to give things horrible reviews >:|

jngrow
September 6th, 2009, 02:28 AM
The hell is that supposed to mean? curious. He's not that bad of an actor.

The only role he can play without annoying the crap out of me was "lol :conspiracy: black guy" in Crash.

"DIS IS NOT SOMETHIN YOU CAN CONTRO'" made me cringe.

ultama121
September 6th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Definitely looks dumb. Another brainless action movie is exactly what we need! :neckbeard:

I'm also really hoping that the movie is trying to make a "What if this happened" situation and not trying to say "LOOK AT WHAT THE VIDJYA GAMES ARE DOING TO THE CHILDRENS!!!!~". Because we all know the accuracy of that statement. >.>

Oh rotten tamatoes hates everything :v:.

I wouldn't go to give it a 2/10, doesn't look that bad. They just love to seem to give things horrible reviews >:|
Rotten Tomatoes is a compilation of reviews, they don't give ratings. So if a movie on Rotten Tomatoes gets a low score, it most likely, is shit. :v:

Ifafudafi
September 6th, 2009, 01:12 PM
The thing about RT is that it sorts movies based solely on a pass/fail ratio, meaning if a movie got mostly 3 star reviews, it would still show an extremely high tomatorating.

As for the movie, I'll just rent it on DVD once it gets there. It does look more like a "what if" movie rather than a "look at the children" one, but misses the point either way.

legionaire45
September 6th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I might netflix it when it comes out but overall this looks pretty terrible. I haven't even read any reviews. The concept just seems stupid.

/pessimism

ChemicalFizz
September 7th, 2009, 02:06 AM
It's probably this:

Fags attempting to show the world that gamers are nothing but a bunch of antisocial retards who get off to the buckets of gore in the mindless, plotless, meaningless drivel they play daily...

From RVA Magazine:

"It is a film that demonstrably hates its primary audience... Not even the film’s subject demographic, people who play videogames, are presented positively. They are characterized as morbidly obese, or morally depraved, or both."

"It is a film that tries to criticize the commercialization of violence, even though it itself is commercialized violence."

Maybe there's a direct correlation in quality between movies that get turned into video games... And now, for a twist, movies that revolve around video games as its plot :raise:

Sounds like it's a contradiction within a contradiction. Maybe Jack Thompson was secretly sponsoring its release?

ultama121
September 7th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Oh, in that case, fuck this movie with a rake.

hry
September 7th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Wow what a trash.

Cortexian
November 21st, 2009, 10:36 PM
Just watched this, action was okay, but the story was almost complete bullshit.

Bodzilla
November 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
looks like it's going to have a terrible plot but have enough explosions to keep ya happy.

ExAm
November 22nd, 2009, 06:10 PM
Dude, it came out over a month ago.

Cortexian
November 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM
Dude, it came out over a month ago.
Yea, and I just saw it now because I was in no rush to see it due to how it looked.

Bodzilla
November 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
hasnt even been advertised in australia lol

ExAm
November 22nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
Yea, and I just saw it now because I was in no rush to see it due to how it looked.
PROTIP: If you're not the post above, and I don't quote you, I'm not talking to you. :eng101:

Cortexian
November 22nd, 2009, 09:43 PM
PROTIP: If you're not the post above, and I don't quote you, I'm not talking to you. :eng101:
Either way >.>