PDA

View Full Version : Arena animating thing.

PopeAK49
July 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
So I was planning on fooling around with an arena type map. The middle area has this kind of slow-medium moving animated bridge going in a circular motion. Is it possible to make it sync properly?

Here is a crappy example with my paint skills.

Dark Gray: Rotating bridge.
Light Grey:Bsp Geometry.
Arrows: Direction bridge is rotating.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u319/dapimppope/gfasdgadfg.jpg

Advancebo
July 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Biped crushing scripts. Maybe 360 bipeds...

FRain
July 25th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Biped crushing scripts. Maybe 360 bipeds...

Dude, do you even know what are you are talking about?

The way I'd do it, is make the rotating part an animated scenery, and have its animation be to spin around 360 degrees. Animations should sync, and if not, try having it be a biped (the ground). Hopefully you can set it as friendly so it will not show up as a red reticle.

Advancebo
July 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Animated scenery does not sync.

FRain
July 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Biped anims do......

E: I also fail to see how 360 bipeds and biped crush scripts are going to make something rotate.

Advancebo
July 25th, 2009, 06:34 PM
At each degree of the rotational animation. 1 biped is crushed. Since a biped syncs, it is transmitted over the server to sync the bridge thing.

Get someone else whos better at scripting to explain it to you.

CtrlAltDestroy
July 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM
It doesn't matter if the scenery syncs or not. Just as long as the circular motion is uniform (ie, rotates at the same speed at any point in the animation), it doesn't matter what keyframe of the animation the client is on relative to the server.

Logic: use it.

Ki11a_FTW
July 25th, 2009, 09:23 PM
^this

Donut
July 25th, 2009, 09:48 PM
It doesn't matter if the scenery syncs or not. Just as long as the circular motion is uniform (ie, rotates at the same speed at any point in the animation), it doesn't matter what keyframe of the animation the client is on relative to the server.

Logic: use it.
and the collision while walking on it will work correctly too? he said he wanted it to be an animated bridge. its kind of important for the animation to sync if people are going to be walking on it

CtrlAltDestroy
July 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Oh, i was under the impression from the image that it was a rotating disc underneath the bridges. My mistake.

Regardless, it is not necessary to use 360 biped/vehicle crush combinations to achieve this. If anything, you can sample the rotation animation at around 10 degrees per crush, depending on the relative scale of the bridges and the rotation rate.

PopeAK49
July 26th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Ok. I'll make a sample map first to see what I can do. Thanks guys.

malolo420
July 26th, 2009, 02:04 AM
rotating elevator, and with open sauce won't the device sync?
Maybe scenery will sync too, I through that idea out for OS.

I'm gunna have to get back into coding C++, don't know much but I took a coarse and just got a C++ coding book from the thrift store for $2 that's worth $90.

Wow I'm really talkative right now, I wonder why.