PDA

View Full Version : Epic shelves Unreal Tournament for "several years."

Ifafudafi
July 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Link to original inside quote.

In an interview with G4 (http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/697646/Epic-Not-To-Release-A-New-Unreal-Tournament-For-Several-Years.html), Founder and CEO of Epic Games Tim Sweeney said the company hasn't forgotten about the Unreal Tournament series, but for right now there are other priorities.

"Unreal Tournament is certainly a major long-term priority but we're planning not to release a major retail game in the series for several years. So we have that effort somewhat on hold while we work on a few other initiatives. "

Sweeney would continue to reinforce the importance of the community, and said by making the toolsets available for mods and map creation, the series goes beyond anything the studio could ever do.

"The really interesting thing about Unreal Tournament is that once we've defined the game in this generation the community takes it and runs with it. So you've seen the community create this massive set of maps and mods that go far beyond anything we could ever do," Sweeney added.

"We almost solve the Unreal Tournament 4 and 5 problem ourselves by just making this toolset available because the community has done more than we could have ever hoped to do internally."

I love Gears and everything, but considering the seemingly half-baked effort that went into UT3 (as compared to UT2K4), I think Epic should remember where their roots lie.

Thoughts?

Jean-Luc
July 29th, 2009, 01:59 PM
I was initially disappointed, but on further consideration, I am perfectly fine with them focusing their efforts in other directs (specifically onto Gears of War 3 plz), and using a new Unreal Tournament game when Unreal Engine 4 comes out (which is, incidentally, several years from now).

Regardless of the decision though, EPIC is still one of my top 5 game developers, so I'm happy with what they choose.

Llama Juice
July 29th, 2009, 02:00 PM
but... but... but... I want UT4... or atleast the editor for it haha.

I dislike this.

Atty
July 29th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Good. I'd rather them pour resources into other games for a while. I don't think they should release another one under the same engine, they should hold off for a new engine to be created.

Phopojijo
July 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM
That appears to be Tim Sweeney's point.

Rook
July 29th, 2009, 03:14 PM
this is probably a good choice, give them more time to bake up a good game when the time comes.

Cojafoji
July 29th, 2009, 03:23 PM
This could be a good thing kiddos.

AAA
July 29th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I love Gears and everything, but considering the seemingly half-baked effort that went into UT3 (as compared to UT2K4), I think Epic should remember where their roots lie.

Thoughts?

I agree entirely. I still play UT2k4 due to Assault, Instagib, and Invasion. I bought UT3 and I NEVER play it due to that fact that I can't find any fun gameplay, Loved the graphics and creativity, but the whole unrealism was lost, no pun intended.

Ganon
July 29th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I agree entirely. I still play UT2k4 due to Assault, Instagib, and Invasion. I bought UT3 and I NEVER play it due to that fact that I can't find any fun gameplay, Loved the graphics and creativity, but the whole unrealism was lost, no pun intended.

I don't play ut2k4, but you hit the nail on the head there.

Inferno
July 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I love UT3 and I'm learning to love the editor. I think they should hold off for a few years so that people can REALLY milk the editor for all its worth. Look at CE. Amazing things were done with that engine but it took time.

If you know what I mean.

Ki11a_FTW
July 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM
The unreal editor is awesome, but the game is meh, glad they decided to wait a while.

jngrow
July 30th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Why don't people just make a mod to make UT3 play exactly like UT2k4? Like make the same gametypes, change the jumping/dodging etc.

Warsaw
July 30th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I prefer UT3's play to UT2k4s...it feels more like the original.

Sel
July 31st, 2009, 11:03 PM
Im fucking tired of UT, next to no gameplay variation, just new graphics.

Make something new.

Also UT2004 > ut3

Ki11a_FTW
July 31st, 2009, 11:04 PM
every game in the world > Company of Heroes

Sel
July 31st, 2009, 11:32 PM
every game in the world > Company of Heroes

:frogout:

Jean-Luc
July 31st, 2009, 11:35 PM
Also UT2004 > ut3
Pretty much this. I've spent hundreds of hours in Ut2004 instead of doing trivial things like homework/working on my social life :downs:

Needles
July 31st, 2009, 11:51 PM
I love UT3 and I'm learning to love the editor. I think they should hold off for a few years so that people can REALLY milk the editor for all its worth. Look at CE. Amazing things were done with that engine but it took time.

If you know what I mean.

I really love it and it's custom maps, I just wish people actually played on the NICE custom maps. Also, how come most custom maps set everyone's world detail to 1?