PDA

View Full Version : A damn problem. Motherboard vs CPU: Fight!

Syuusuke
July 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM
To the point:

My computer turns on but nothing on monitor.

What I've checked that works EVERYTHING BUT THE cpu or mobo. I cannot test those out. When I try to start up into post w/o Ram I don't hear beeps which narrows it to those two parts. Are there other ways to test whch has a booboo? Or should I just flip a coin and buy one of the components and test it like that? (and make up a reason to get a refund :sly:)

I'm down to these two and have no idea what to do =/

What would colbert do?

Cojafoji
July 31st, 2009, 11:55 PM
had that happen a couple times. no dead ram eh?

does anything happen when you try to power up, like fans going on, the the network light on the Ethernet port light up?

=sw=warlord
August 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM
i would suggest you get something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-DIAGNOSTIC-CARD-4-Digit-Motherboard-POST-Tester_W0QQitemZ290334103453QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439942d79d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) then lok up the error code you get in the error list for that particular bios on the internet.
I used one a while back for finding out what part of my pc died.

Syuusuke
August 1st, 2009, 10:54 AM
had that happen a couple times. no dead ram eh?

does anything happen when you try to power up, like fans going on, the the network light on the Ethernet port light up?

Oh yea.

i would suggest you get something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC-DIAGNOSTIC-CARD-4-Digit-Motherboard-POST-Tester_W0QQitemZ290334103453QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item439942d79d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14) then lok up the error code you get in the error list for that particular bios on the internet.

I was thinking of that, thanks.

Cojafoji
August 1st, 2009, 11:49 AM
damnit warlord, i was going to suggest that but i didn't want to tell him to buy anything.

anyway, it's your cpu.

Syuusuke
August 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
You trying to make me just buy a new CPU?

Cojafoji
August 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
You trying to make me just buy a new CPU?
no. i just really hate telling people to go out and buy ANYTHING, regardless of cost. it's nice to try and fix something for free, than to buy things you'll only use once or twice.

=sw=warlord
August 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
no. i just really hate telling people to go out and buy ANYTHING, regardless of cost. it's nice to try and fix something for free, than to buy things you'll only use once or twice.
Well once you've used the tool once im sure either it will come in handy later when something else dies or you just sell it off.
Personaly i got mine for about £2.99 including postage and works perfectly fine for me.
My personal opinion is its the motherboard thats gone.
Sounds eerrily familar to a issue i had with a motherboard this time last year pc would turn on fans going but nothing would show on the screen turned out the power supply as well as the motherboard had died.
that reminds me....i still have that dead psu lying arround here in parts after i scavanged the fan out of it haha.
E: fuck fucking fuckidy fuck fuck, how the fuck did i know it was going to be asus that your board is...
get the PC POSt tester find what the error code is if it is the motherboard try and get a RMA by asus but make sure when you send the board to them it is by recorded post.
Last time i RMA'd a board to them they sent the thing to russia and was never seen again they only accepted it was lost after 7 months of fucking about scratching their arses.

Warsaw
August 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
It's more likely the motherboard than the CPU. It has more parts that can die. I've never had a CPU die on me, but I've had motherboards fry. Check CPU for scorch marks or something. Do you have another rig you can pop that CPU into to test it out?

Syuusuke
August 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Nope or else I wouldn't be crying to you techies.

Cojafoji
August 4th, 2009, 07:30 PM
if you replace anything, replace the motherboard first. i know i said the cpu, but maybe you could use an upgrade.

Warsaw
August 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
What CPU are you running? Your specs just say "Intel" for the CPU and "Asus" for the motherboard. I want to know what socket CPU you have (and preferably what motherboard too) before I make any suggestions.

Syuusuke
August 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Wait that's my laptop, oops I was being broad on purpose, ha.

My desktop is an MSI k9n4 (i think) and its using an AMD athlon64 x2 3800+

Please note I will not be gaming on the desktop, so it won't matter what CPU or motherboard I get.

Motherboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130187)

and the CPU I was going to get is out of stock...great.

Yea shoot me with suggestions. Although money is not a problem, I don't need to go for something like the Phenom, in fact I'm going to go with those 65W 5200+ or whatever it was.

Sway me. Try it =)

Warsaw
August 5th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I would say that if you're going to be spending money, might as well invest it so that you don't have to upgrade two years, you can keep the same basic rig for four years. :downs:

As for figuring out what fried, buy whichever part is cheaper (in this case, the motherboard). It's only $50, so that's pretty much a throw-away part as far as computer parts are concerned. Now, if you upgrade, it doesn't matter, because you won't be reusing RAM, motherboard, or CPU.

=sw=warlord
August 5th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I would say that if you're going to be spending money, might as well invest it so that you don't have to upgrade two years, you can keep the same basic rig for four years. :downs:

As for figuring out what fried, buy whichever part is cheaper (in this case, the motherboard). It's only $50, so that's pretty much a throw-away part as far as computer parts are concerned. Now, if you upgrade, it doesn't matter, because you won't be reusing RAM, motherboard, or CPU.
or better yet.

£2.99 for a simple little pci card that reads the error code saves you money of buying the wrong part and then wondering what to do with it.

Syuusuke
August 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Yea I got that thing, just playing the waiting game now.

Weighing the choices for CPU and/or motherboard anyway.

(Who knows it could be both)