PDA

View Full Version : Vsync problem

king_nothing_
August 9th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Alright, here's the story. I run CE at 1680x1050 by adding -vidmode 1680,1050 to the target field in my CE shortcut. In order to play with vsync off, I had to go into my Nvidia control panel and set vsync to "force off". It works most of the time. Every now and then, though, vsync will come on in the middle of a game and lock my FPS to 60. If I alt-tab out of the game, then go back into the game, it'll be off again. Not only is it annoying to have to keep doing that, but alt-tabbing also gives me text lag.

It makes no sense to me. Why is it just turning vsync on in the middle of the damn game, while I'm playing? Does anyone have any idea for how to stop this from happening?

supersniper
August 9th, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have ATI so I cannot help you there sorry.

PopeAK49
August 9th, 2009, 11:17 PM
In you halo video settings, is Vsync off? You can mess with most of your video settings in halo instead of screwing around with the video card settings.

Ifafudafi
August 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I have ATI so I cannot help you there sorry.

Then why post?

Anyway, my guess is that the nVidia control panel's "force off" mode isn't as consistent as turning it off through the software; it's probably glitching out and defaulting to the software setting periodically.

As for fixing it, you could try another third-party application to force off vsync (if they can do that). Are you saying that disabling it ingame through the menu doesn't do squat?

PopeAK49
August 9th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I bumped into this. Which may help you.

http://www.nhancer.com/

Ki11a_FTW
August 10th, 2009, 12:44 AM
In you halo video settings, is Vsync off? You can mess with most of your video settings in halo instead of screwing around with the video card settings.

If he has the resolution set to 1680 x 1050 (which i do to) if you click apply after changing graphical settings in halo, the resolution will be switched to the the resolution thats in the bar at the time you apply

king_nothing_
August 10th, 2009, 04:54 AM
If he has the resolution set to 1680 x 1050 (which i do to) if you click apply after changing graphical settings in halo, the resolution will be switched to the the resolution thats in the bar at the time you apply
This is correct. I had vsync off in the game's settings before I started using this resolution anyway, though, and it still says off in the game's settings.

I bumped into this. Which may help you.

http://www.nhancer.com/
I'll check that out. Thanks.

Limited
August 10th, 2009, 06:37 AM
I think its just Halo and Nvidia settings fighting with each other. Has it ever worked fantastically fine?

Syuusuke
August 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Is the Vsync option in nvidia's control panel also off =S

Ganon
August 10th, 2009, 12:12 PM
Is the Vsync option in nvidia's control panel also off =S

I had to go into my Nvidia control panel and set vsync to "force off". :downs:

It's not what you want, but I would just play on a normal res.

king_nothing_
August 10th, 2009, 01:36 PM
The nhancer thing that Pope posted did not help. :(

Syuusuke
August 10th, 2009, 01:53 PM
:downs:

It's not what you want, but I would just play on a normal res.

Hoho I did not see that.

Try playing in window mode.

Does it happen in a normal resolution set by the game (do what cannon mentioned :-3)

STLRamsFan
August 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM
Are you using the version changer? Cause before I had a similar problem where none of my video settings would save. I switched back to 1.08, set up my video settings, saved, switched back, and it was good to go.

king_nothing_
August 10th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Are you using the version changer? Cause before I had a similar problem where none of my video settings would save. I switched back to 1.08, set up my video settings, saved, switched back, and it was good to go.
I am using the version changer. :/

PopeAK49
August 10th, 2009, 11:24 PM
The nhancer thing that Pope posted did not help. :(

Damn! Sorry dude. Hopefully there is another way. :saddowns:

English Mobster
August 11th, 2009, 01:38 AM
Why, exactly, is locking your FPS at 60 bad? I normally run around 32 FPS, so what does Halo normally render at?

Ganon
August 11th, 2009, 01:56 AM
The higher the frame rate, the better. Some people do prefer vsync (that have computers capable at running much higher fps rates), but thats like finding a left handed person in antarctica

RedBaron
August 11th, 2009, 02:36 AM
I would think you would want vsync anyway to prevent image tearing at such a high resolution. The moment you run a game at 40fps+ you won't notice any lag unless it drops below 30fps. Having a fps in the 100's does not make a game better. Most people who claim to have 100fps+ usually fluctuate all the way back down to around 50fps at times no matter how good their rigs are. I would just prefer to be at a consistent 50-60fps if I won't even notice the difference. Your video hardware would probably run with less of a payload anyway if you kept it from running all those excessive amounts of frames too...

PopeAK49
August 11th, 2009, 02:55 AM
The higher the frame rate, the better. Some people do prefer vsync (that have computers capable at running much higher fps rates), but thats like finding a left handed person in Alaska

I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer and I run vsync just fine. I get good FPS and such. I think you met your left handed friend. :realsmug:

Ganon
August 11th, 2009, 03:05 AM
I don't have a lot of stuff on my computer and I run vsync just fine. I get good FPS and such.

wtf does not having a great system have to do with being able to run vsync? (please tell me you know what vsync is) im saying if you had a computer that can reach much higher fps without vsync on... I also say vsync = quality because with vsync off, there is the possibility of tearing. vsync provides the most consistent visual experience. people who go for performance are trying to max their fps and often run on lower settings to achieve them. in todays day and age, anyone with a descent build can run halo on max settings with good enough fps (im talking in the mid hundreds) to the point where going any further in lowering their settings to get higher fps is pointless.

Lateksi
August 11th, 2009, 03:51 AM
Why, exactly, is locking your FPS at 60 bad? I normally run around 32 FPS, so what does Halo normally render at? If you're used to 100-300 fps you will find locked 60 fps has slow "response time".

king_nothing_
August 11th, 2009, 07:24 AM
The moment you run a game at 40fps+ you won't notice any lag unless it drops below 30fps. Having a fps in the 100's does not make a game better.
This is just plain wrong. I can easily tell a difference in responsiveness. When vsync automatically turns on in the middle of a game, I can immediately tell the difference without even looking at my FPS overlay thing.

Most people who claim to have 100fps+ usually fluctuate all the way back down to around 50fps at times no matter how good their rigs are.
Um, do you realize how old of a game we're talking about here? I built this computer nearly two years ago and my FPS in CE never gets close to 50.

Please leave the "you should want vsync on!" posts out of this thread from here on out. I want it off, and that's that. I just need help getting it to stay off.

chrisk123999
August 11th, 2009, 10:21 AM
My computer must suck, I get 30 fps even with vsync off... :(

Syuusuke
August 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Looks someone wants to develop superhuman eye vision capable of seeing past 60 fps.

Ganon
August 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Looks someone wants to develop superhuman eye vision capable of seeing past 60 fps.
this is why we have build in motion blur settings in our brain.

Originally Posted by DELTA_011692 http://www.modacity.net/forums/styles/source/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?p=446098#post446098)
Most people who claim to have 100fps+ usually fluctuate all the way back down to around 50fps at times no matter how good their rigs are.

you are so misinformed its not even funny

king_nothing_
August 11th, 2009, 01:32 PM
The whole thing about the human eye not being able to see more than 60 or 45 or w/e fps is debatable.

What my eye can discern isn't even the point, though. I can tell the difference between 60 fps and 100+ fps by the responsiveness of my mouse movements.

NullZero
August 11th, 2009, 04:32 PM
Agreed, I've always wondered why no one else found that :|

PopeAK49
August 11th, 2009, 05:26 PM
wtf does not having a great system have to do with being able to run vsync? (please tell me you know what vsync is) im saying if you had a computer that can reach much higher fps without vsync on... I also say vsync = quality because with vsync off, there is the possibility of tearing. vsync provides the most consistent visual experience. people who go for performance are trying to max their fps and often run on lower settings to achieve them. in todays day and age, anyone with a descent build can run halo on max settings with good enough fps (im talking in the mid hundreds) to the point where going any further in lowering their settings to get higher fps is pointless.

I notice it makes my movements more smoother than it would if I had it off. Don't be angry with me. :smith: