PDA

View Full Version : map idea.

skz333
August 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
i m getting a proxy error of some kind so i could not post this on halomaps.org where it belongs. But this is the next best thing!

lock the doors add weapons and flags. Excellent halo 1 pc ctf /slayer koth map.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3646/bridgey.jpg

Ganon
August 22nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
alright thanks

paladin
August 22nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
Obgjfioyo

Rook
August 22nd, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'm sure someone could to that in 5 seconds but doesn't seem it'd be fun gameplay wise.

sevlag
August 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
its been done...SP to MP conversions

paladin
August 22nd, 2009, 12:20 AM
Like I said, obgjfioyo

jcap
August 22nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
Hijacking your thread here...

It would be cool if someone were to embark on a project to make a series of Firefight maps for Halo CE based on campaign locations.

Heck, if this could be integrated with Cerebrum.....holy crap that would be insanely awesome.

Some ideas could be:

Defend a location with marines on Halo.
A fight in the bay of the Covenant cruiser on Truth and Reconciliation.
Beach assault on The Silent Cartographer.
Defend the control room against waves of covenant attacks on Assault on the Control Room.
Battle at the end of 343 Guilty Spark around the tall structure.
Secure the gravity lift to Truth and Reconciliation on Keyes.
Defend the engine room on The Maw.

Heh, that makes 7.

Con
August 22nd, 2009, 01:15 AM
^

I'm surprised nobody's made a firefight scripted map yet.

English Mobster
August 22nd, 2009, 01:33 AM

It would be cool if someone were to embark on a project to make a series of Firefight maps for Halo CE based on campaign locations.

Heck, if this could be integrated with Cerebrum.....holy crap that would be insanely awesome.

Some ideas could be:

Defend a location with marines on Halo.
A fight in the bay of the Covenant cruiser on Truth and Reconciliation.
Beach assault on The Silent Cartographer.
Defend the control room against waves of covenant attacks on Assault on the Control Room.
Battle at the end of 343 Guilty Spark around the tall structure.
Secure the gravity lift to Truth and Reconciliation on Keyes.
Defend the engine room on The Maw.

Heh, that makes 7.
Huh. That sounds... Interesting. Shouldn't require many modifications, either. I'll look into it.
Bacon, get in touch with me on how I can integrate Cerebrum support.

paladin
August 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
isnt nuts.map basically firefight

English Mobster
August 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
Yes, it is.
Inferno was ahead of his time.

Delta4907
August 22nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
For anyone who doesn't check Halomaps, Gamma927 has been working on a Firefight-esque map for quite some time now. Here's the topic: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=27768

English Mobster
August 22nd, 2009, 04:24 AM
Shit, I was working on the Assault on the Control Room map when Sapien exceptioned. I haven't saved since I first started working on the damn map.

Fuck. :(

n00b1n8R
August 22nd, 2009, 06:23 AM

I'm not quite sure I get what you mean by "firefight maps". As in small maps for small team multiplayer games, or isolated SP levels where you fight wave after wave of enemies till you die (like inferno's map) or something else?

Reaper Man
August 22nd, 2009, 06:37 AM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, USE FUCKING SHOT TAGS, This is your last warning.

Once again another pointless, blog-like thread, though this one has a tiny room for discussion, it's practically useless. If you have an idea, great. You don't need to post about it. Idea threads for Halo CE never worked in the past. If you want it, do it yourself, your concept is not hard at all.

Delta4907
August 22nd, 2009, 07:01 AM
I'm not quite sure I get what you mean by "firefight maps". As in small maps for small team multiplayer games, or isolated SP levels where you fight wave after wave of enemies till you die (like inferno's map) or something else?

I think he means like ODST's Firefight, fighting wave after wave of increasingly difficulty AI (in singleplayer for CE, since its obvious AI don't sync.) Like I said above, Gamma's Firefight map is pretty much that. I'll let him talk about it if he wants.

t3h m00kz
August 22nd, 2009, 07:47 AM

god yes.

Also,

i m getting a proxy error of some kind so i could not post this on halomaps.org where it belongs. But this is the next best thing!

lock the doors add weapons and flags. Excellent halo 1 pc ctf /slayer koth map.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/3646/bridgey.jpg

heh

http://hce.halomaps.org/images/files/lg/22screenshot00-25.jpg

Inferno
August 22nd, 2009, 08:14 AM
It's firefight with more awesome.

I could easilly make a firefight mod but I have way cooler projects I could do.

Firefight is sooooo last week. FPSRPG's are totally in right now.

Oh and as foor Mr.Two Bars idea.
Sux GTFO. There are much better SP to MP conversions out there.

Dwood
August 22nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
If someone could get me the model to Assault on the Control Room where i could import it into Halo/Sapien, I would love to do it.

Revord
August 22nd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Longest is the closest thing to what the op is talking about, and it can get pretty crazy in there depending on the weapon loadouts. I think a firefight type scenario isnt a bad idea, in a small map environment. Gephyrophobia is just way too big for a good solid firefight. I had an idea for a small map were enemy ai come out of a stargate like object in kind of an invasion type scenario, but if what someone else said is true, then ai is out of the picture.

sevlag
August 22nd, 2009, 09:48 AM
domain firefight mb?

Inferno
August 22nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
You thinking too small. A good firefight map needs HUGE groups of AI's rushing a tiny choke point or defense point where the single player must use all of his wit cunning and bullets to fend them off.

Like drop ships and wraiths and banshees and hundreds of elites swarming up to him.

That is what you WANT in a firefight map.

English Mobster
August 22nd, 2009, 12:44 PM
If someone could get me the model to Assault on the Control Room where i could import it into Halo/Sapien, I would love to do it.
Just rip AOTCR's BSPs and find the one he's looking at, then just seal the doors on either side of the bridge. Bam, done.
E: No, Domain is WAY too small for a firefight map.

Dwood
August 22nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Just rip AOTCR's BSPs and find the one he's looking at, then just seal the doors on either side of the bridge. Bam, done.
E: No, Domain is WAY too small for a firefight map.

I was talking about jcap's idea not hce kid's. Last time i tried to rip the map i got errors up the wazoo.

Kornman00
August 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
You should try designing how the actual firefight system will be designed first, instead of just trying to come up with a good map. You could easily just reuse existing maps (or campaign) for testing.

There can be only one player, so you'll have to figure a way to balance the human AI on each difficulty (you don't want them to be a thorn in the player's spine, but you don't want them to be taking all the kills either).
You'll also have to figure how to work lives in (will the AI's be taken into account?).
Also, those AI amigos of yours have infinite ammo and can't switch weapons (by pickup or by trading), so how will you go about saying which buddy gets what weapon?
Also, can weapon\vehicle respawning work correctly in campaign?

Inferno
August 22nd, 2009, 02:23 PM
You should try designing how the actual firefight system will be designed first, instead of just trying to come up with a good map. You could easily just reuse existing maps (or campaign) for testing.

There can be only one player, so you'll have to figure a way to balance the human AI on each difficulty (you don't want them to be a thorn in the player's spine, but you don't want them to be taking all the kills either).
You'll also have to figure how to work lives in (will the AI's be taken into account?).

Player lives could be done by having the deathless player cheat on and taking a "life" away from the player everytime your health gets to 1. (since that's as low as it can get with deathless on) and when you lose a life it would tell you " you lost 1 life you have x lives remaining" and it would set your health back to 100 and teleport you to the respawn zone.

Also, those AI amigos of yours have infinite ammo and can't switch weapons (by pickup or by trading), so how will you go about saying which buddy gets what weapon?

Possible but difficult. I could explain or write a script mock up.

Also, can weapon\vehicle respawning work correctly in campaign?

Easy

Answers bold.

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 22nd, 2009, 03:05 PM
I thought that it was possible to make AI sync via a trick turning AI into vehicles?

Inferno
August 22nd, 2009, 03:07 PM
Hardly.

UnevenElefant5
August 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM
^

Go over to HM and look at Gamma's topic and be amazed.

Pyong Kawaguchi
August 22nd, 2009, 03:58 PM
hmm h3 ripped anims..

ShadowSpartan
August 22nd, 2009, 07:34 PM
hmm h3 ripped anims..
What?

skz333
August 23rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
Ok, the first thing comes to mind is, that map would be a wonderful multiplayer map, just exactly like it is. A much more compact version of gephyrohobia (fear of crossing bridges). Or like Longest, only more open and more merciless.

I see now that you guys are on a whole other page taking human players out of the loop, and using advanced techniques to improve on the game of halo (cir. 2001) But don't forget people still play halo together! If we could co-ordinate gamenights between halomaps, modacity and hpt, it would be plenty of people for custom maps. But I digress.

Firefight is a mode from halo 3 odst is that right? Is that the model?

....After reading more of the experts posts I'm really impressed by what you guys do here. Am I right to think there is big difference between what can be done for single player vs multiplayer maps? Like how many elites rushing a point can you have in a multiplayer map?

One of the central problems with halo is that no matter what somebody is gonna lose. Like on World of Warcraft PvP, (not that it isn't fun). So if you had a genious enough map, and a ton of challenging AI, it would become 16 players vs bots and no one would have to lose. Maybe king of the hill or some kind of point capture...

And I m not at all clear on what this other big new word from here: Cerebrum?

edit: for FYI on me posting, renting a server on halo ce and dealing with players and "clans" that play it. I do not post for self gratification. I do not post to make threads. I post because every single person involved with halo pc is, at this point, 1 single, sloppy, giant, ignorant, unorganized mess. This site is the technical center and I appreciate that - very much. But I do not expect you to post one word onto my threads. They will go away - Lost in the ether of 10,000 new webs pages a minute or whatever it is now. The threads seem to become locked prematurely anyway, negating the purpose of having a forum. When I post on this site for the betterment of halo ce, you could simply ignore them if your motivation is other.

n00b1n8R
August 23rd, 2009, 12:43 AM
Oh my god, how did I ever not think this guy was a troll.

ShadowSpartan
August 23rd, 2009, 12:44 AM
And I m not at all clear on what this other big new word from here: Cerebrum?
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16477

It's kind of hard to miss something that is at the very top of this section.

English Mobster
August 23rd, 2009, 01:09 AM
:smith:

LET'S BREAK IT DOWN!

Ok, the first thing comes to mind is that map would be a wonderful multiplayer map, just exactly like it is - a much more compact version of gephyrohobia (fear of crossing bridges).
1. First off, we don't need to know what Gephyrohobia means. Second off, the maps are essentially the same. We don't need 2.

Or like Longest, only more open and more merciless. Don't even begin to justify this.

2. This will NOT work as a multiplayer map. It was not designed as a multiplayer map. It was designed for a singleplayer map. As such, there wouldn't be any kind of bases, and spawn camping would be rampant. At most, there are 2 ways across the bridge, and no feasible spot for a base. A good map needs 3 ways to get across (Ex: Narrows: Bridge, underbridge, and mancannon). This will have 2, which means BAD GAMEPLAY.
You can argue that the buildings outside the bridge can serve as bases, but you forget that there is only 1 exit for both of those hallways, meaning that every member of a team who wants to get to the base has to go through 1 point, with no way around.

I see now that you guys are on a whole other page taking human players out of the loop, and using advanced techniques to improve on the game of halo (cir. 2001)3. What are you getting at here? Are you implying we shouldn't use advanced techniques on such an old game? If its so old, WHY ARE YOU PLAYING IT STILL?
4. We SHOULD be using advanced techniques to keep this game new and exciting. There's only a certain number of tricks this engine can do.
5. Multiplayer maps are getting old. Singleplayer maps are what's hot, because there are very few of them compared to a LOT of MP maps, not to mention the release of the campaign scripts sparking a lot of interest in SP, and the hype of SPV2 and Zteam's campaign.
6. Remember, while Halo was released in 2001, remember Halo PC wasn't released until 2003, and CE wasn't released until 2004.

But don't forget people still play halo together! If we could co-ordinate gamenights between halomaps, modacity and hpt, it would be plenty of people for custom maps. But I digress. 7. Yeah, that whole "coordination" thing? Not gonna happen. The communities are too varied. Yes, they all play Halo, but each has a superiority complex over the others, and it just... won't end well.

Firefight is a mode from halo 3 odst is that right? Is that the model?8. Yes, that is the model. It's a new technique Bungie is using, and we want to try to replicate it. Why? BECAUSE WE FUCKING CAN.
Same reason why we have the H3 stuff being remade. We copy Bungie's stuff so we can have fun with it in a community we're more familiar with, as well as to gain experience in the gaming field, since most of us would like to have some sort of gaming profession at one point.

....After reading more of the experts posts I'm really impressed by what you guys do here. Am I right to think there is big difference between what can be done for single player vs multiplayer maps? Like how many elites rushing a point can you have in a multiplayer map? 9. There IS a big difference, and that is netcode. To simplify it:

Every action must be sent from the server to the client, even if there is no client available (Ex: Testing out a map alone in a LAN game). These actions take up some of the CPU which is allotted to the server. The maximum amount of CPU which can be taken up is hardcoded into the game itself and cannot be changed without the original source code.
Every action sent by the AI (if they move from point A to point B, where they are looking, if they are going to shoot, their current health, how many grenades they have, what dialogue to load, when to say it, pathfinding, decision-making, following commands) MUST be set from the server to the client. All this data (particularly the ones in bold) hog up the CPU, forcing the server to lag.
Eventually, the server stops trying to send the data to the client for that cycle, forcing the client to act on its own, and the client's version of the AI may reach a different decision than the server AI. This is what causes the AI to not sync. However, the server is CONSTANTLY bombarded with actions by the AI, and it MUST process every one of them, no matter what. Even if it does eventually drop the action, it still took up CPU trying to send the data. This causes MASSIVE lag.
Because of the lag spikes and the syncing issues, AI should NOT be used in multiplayer. There is no limit, per se, but it ruins servers. Singleplayer maps are different. In a singleplayer game, there is no server, no transmitting of data, and the limit of AI is only as much as your computer can handle.

One of the central problems with halo is that no matter what somebody is gonna lose. Like on World of Warcraft PvP, (not that it isn't fun). So if you had a genious enough map, and a ton of challenging AI, it would become 16 players vs bots and no one would have to lose. Maybe king of the hill or some kind of point capture... 10. No. Just no. The AI won't sync, and there's no way to tell the game that they are capturing a point. Well, I guess you can tell the GAME, but you can't really explain to the AI why they have to stand in this one spot for 30 seconds. They won't listen.

And I m not at all clear on what this other big new word from here: Cerebrum? 11. There's a sticky on this board. Read it.

edit: for FYI on me posting, renting a server on halo ce and dealing with players and "clans" that play it. I do not post for self gratification. I do not post to make threads. I post because every single person involved with halo pc is, at this point, 1 single, sloppy, giant, ignorant, unorganized mess.12. And? The game has always been like that, and I doubt it will change. It's not "Unorganized", it's just not designed for clans. Mappers don't make maps for clans, they make maps they want to play on. Mappers have a different style of play than people who are srs business about Halo CE, and the maps reflect that accordingly. It's not unorganized, it's just that we don't want to be fucked making a map for a clan which is srs business and doesn't match what we want to play at all.
We just don't want to have anything to do with the shitty clans or the 12-year-olds within them.

This site is the technical center and I appreciate that - very much. But I do not expect you to post one word onto my threads. They will go away - Lost in the ether of 10,000 new webs pages a minute or whatever it is now. The threads seem to become locked prematurely anyway, negating the purpose of having a forum. When I post on this site for the betterment of halo ce, you could simply ignore them if your motivation is other.Lucky 13. This is NOT a clan forum. We do NOT give a shit about your clans or anything like that. This is a technical forum, yes, but for MAPPING. Learning advanced techniques and implementing them. This isn't a request forum, this isn't a "lol i hate this clan" forum. Your posts about the clans you hate can be taken elsewhere, we don't care about them here. There is a reason you have 2 red bars.
Your threads were locked because they aren't what this forum is about, nor what it is for. Occasionally, there are threads about servers here, but that's because those servers relate to the community HERE (Ram's gamenights), or they are run by a member of this community (Lancer's Edge).
You say you don't care if people post in your threads. Then why make them? Forums are for discussion of threads and the topics wherein. The topics you are bringing up do not belong in this forum. They don't belong on this site, because this site is not designed for clans or talking about random Halo servers. This site was designed for mapping. Advanced mapping, at that.
If you say you make the threads to spread awareness about something, it won't work here, because, frankly, WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT.
We don't give a shit about what your threads here, and they were locked accordingly. They don't belong on this site, they don't relate to the LOCAL community (that doesn't mean the whole CE community, that means the people who post here), so they get locked.

Also, out of curiosity: How old are you?

Jelly
August 23rd, 2009, 08:37 AM
Sam is like 28 or something. I think there was a pic of him on the HIV forums at some point.

Syuusuke
August 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM
dude no need to get angry

Also we were a clan at one point, before modacity :D

sevlag
August 23rd, 2009, 09:16 AM
yeah regarding you're "server" i got banned because i called a admin a kiss ass when he was hitting on a "girl"

and this "sam" person complains like a 8 year old in my biased opinion

kid908
August 23rd, 2009, 12:37 PM
:smith:

LET'S BREAK IT DOWN!

1. First off, we don't need to know what Gephyrohobia means. Second off, the maps are essentially the same. We don't need 2.
Don't even begin to justify this.

HEY! :gonk: I'm making a Gephyrohobia/ Narrow map. I find we do need 2 :realsmug: Just like how you have 2 heads (I think...) would you want both or just one of those heads?

@Jelly: are you F'n serious? He's 28 or about? I was thinking of a 12 yr old prick.

Inferno
August 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
9 years old seems about right actually.

p0lar_bear
August 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Ugh. People, we're aware Sam's posting needs work. Leave that facet of criticism to the staff, thanks.

Also, I might note that I had been thinking of this exact idea for a long, long time. However, the geometry as it is is horrid for a multiplayer map. There's only two options of play: run across guns blazing on the bottom, or run across guns plazing on the top. Either of which you're more than likely to get sniped by some twitch camping at the end of the bridge.

Narrows in Halo 3 had this idea and at least took steps to make it more playable, such as curving the bridge and adding an alternate route (mancannon). Even then it wasn't that great a map.

skz333
August 23rd, 2009, 08:00 PM
yeah i appreciate that comparision to the h3 bridge map. However, one thing you left out was the lower and upper levels. as well as the 6+ block positions on the bridge. Remember playing it on Legendary 60 times ?
It would be fairly awesome for ctf or anything really.

Jally: i know you re really gAy for me so here you go.

nerd
http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/4300/kkhhhh.jpg
dork
http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/6016/photovia.jpg

Kalub
August 24th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Wtf is this shit on my forums.....

Knock that shit off.

also, grate map iydea

English Mobster
August 24th, 2009, 05:01 PM
The gameplay will be horrible.
I proved how it will, you prove how it won't, or lock this thread.

Inferno
August 24th, 2009, 05:05 PM
I could see some game play if you made massive changes to the map but only if.

Dwood
August 24th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I think those pics need to go in the Risky Proposition thread.

Heathen
August 24th, 2009, 06:47 PM
^

there was one on that Rio map or whatever.

Higuy
August 24th, 2009, 07:57 PM
^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czeZs3-rpIk