PDA

View Full Version : How in N-'s name are you doing this

TEMPTii
September 1st, 2009, 06:49 AM
Idk if I'm missing a method, or I just suck, but these structures are very well done. How do you guys make them so well? It can't just be something as simple as a pillar and modify it from there can it (cuz that's what I do and the results are horrible)? I tried searching for some tutorials but I found none that showed how to make such an intricate structure.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff260/showbizfluffy/Garden1.jpg
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/0cb33928375582fd28ee0bb42c1330597fbe9003.png

Ganon
September 1st, 2009, 07:14 AM
welcome to the world of things you can do in modeling programs other than beveling and extruding. all of this is possible and not relatively hard if you know what you are doing. just google or youtube some modeling tutorials. whether its one about making a gun or making a building, the concept isn't too far of in which they relate.

Llama Juice
September 1st, 2009, 07:23 AM
It's not that you modify one pillar, it's that you have many pillars haha.

Break it up into smaller pieces, don't try modeling everything from one cube.

Sel
September 1st, 2009, 08:00 AM
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/selentic/base.jpg

Advancebo
September 1st, 2009, 01:48 PM
Plane modeling + using elements.

SnaFuBAR
September 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM
I tried searching for some tutorials but I found none that showed how to make such an intricate structure.

Hope my tuts help.

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16703

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15369

Donut
September 1st, 2009, 02:01 PM
shot tags. please :gonk:
E: snaf the hole making tutorial was incredibly helpful. never occurred to me to use quick slice

Sever
September 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Or you could just use spline modeling. With strict spline modeling you draw every edge of every plane, thus circumventing modifiers, since you draw out every line. It allows you to be more intimate with your creations, since you have to make every detail. I personally use a mix of spline and plane modeling, just to save time.

Higuy
September 1st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Basically what I did was took a box, extruded the edges into the shape I wanted (have to delete the top face) and basically put it into that shape. Then inset the side for the new texture so it wont be completley one texture; some difference. And inset the other skinny side for the lights and extrude down. Now attach to your bsp. Almost everything in that scene was made by a couple of cylinders and box's just extruded and shaped into the way I wanted. There's other ways like spline modeling that I used on the actual gardens base. You just draw everything into the shape you want basically.

Advancebo
September 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
we use random model generators, k?

klange
September 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
I was going to say "magic" but you all had to go and ruin it by telling the scrub how to do cool stuff >:\

Hunter
September 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
welcome to the world of things you can do in modeling programs other than beveling and extruding. all of this is possible and not relatively hard if you know what you are doing. just google or youtube some modeling tutorials. whether its one about making a gun or making a building, the concept isn't too far of in which they relate.

Yes they are :) All I mainly use are extrude and bevel, and some other tools from time to time. Not liturally extrude, but basically, make a plane into a shape, hold shift, drag the edge out. Shift and drag is such a magical thing :)

Inferno
September 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM
Vertex. Spine. Plane.

All I really use. With a couple of extrudes, shells, and optimizes along the way.

And don't forget about slice pane.

Ganon
September 1st, 2009, 05:57 PM
Yes they are :) All I mainly use are extrude and bevel, and some other tools from time to time. Not liturally extrude, but basically, make a plane into a shape, hold shift, drag the edge out. Shift and drag is such a magical thing :)

guns shaped like houses :realsmug:

Hunter
September 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
*@Rep - Fuck You*

Disaster
September 1st, 2009, 06:19 PM
All I really use is my imagination. Go crazy. You have several tools at your hand to utilize to create what you see in your imagination. If you don't have imagination, your not going to get far in the land of 3d art. Scratch that, art in general.

Practice makes perfect. You have to mess around and see what floats your boat when modeling. Its not really a whats better kind of deal. Its what you enjoy doing the most and what gets YOU the best results.

Advancebo
September 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM
All I really use is my imagination. Go crazy. You have several tools at your hand to utilize to create what you see in your imagination. If you don't have imagination, your not going to get far in the land of 3d art. Scratch that, art in general.

Practice makes perfect. You have to mess around and see what floats your boat when modeling. Its not really a whats better kind of deal. Its what you enjoy doing the most and what gets YOU the best results.

Its cause your pro :saddowns:

TEMPTii
September 1st, 2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks guys, sorry I was at school. I guess I'll try plane modeling and that shift thing O:

I'll also be looking at your tuts Snafubar

Con
September 1st, 2009, 10:42 PM
I'll also be looking at your tuts Snafubar
tempted to edit this into something dirty

As for the topic at hand, I use a combination of techniques such as extruding edges and modifying primitives in addition to all the chamfering, cutting, etc that goes into making a shape.

TEMPTii
September 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
Lolol. His tutorials are actually very good. I made my best structure today using it :P

Errrm, i dunno how to do any of that stuff you listed except maybe the edge extrusion :/

paladin
September 2nd, 2009, 12:20 AM
Chamfer is a good and easy tool to use

TEMPTii
September 2nd, 2009, 06:38 AM
What does it do? Doesn't it round edges?

neuro
September 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
if you don't know what you're talking about, then yes, it 'rounds edges'

if you DO know what you're talking about, then it's dividing an edge along it's cross-adjoining edges.

from max 9 and up, there i also the option to add segments to a chamfer, giving you the ability to add segments to your chamfer, and effectively, make an edge 'rounder'.

TEMPTii
September 2nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Ok ok.
And I'm having a problem with some alpha images. I applied an alpha image to a few faces and I want to add a background image over the alpha but in the material editor, Image Alpha in the Alpha Source section is greyed out. Wtf?

English Mobster
September 2nd, 2009, 09:05 AM
Are you using stock Guerrilla?

FRain
September 2nd, 2009, 09:24 AM
He's using max O_o

Make sure your image alpha in photoshop specifically says "Alpha 1"

Mass
September 2nd, 2009, 10:39 AM
from max 9 and up, there i also the option to add segments to a chamfer, giving you the ability to add segments to your chamfer, and effectively, make an edge 'rounder'.
Yes.

I made that second base you posted TEMPTii and allow me to personally tell you that if you're making forerunner structures or indeed anything, chamfer can be an extremely useful tool. However, as neuro said, it spits the edge down the lines which connect to it, which means that it can very annoying and difficult to use if you're working on something that is broken up into triangles instead of large polygons.

experiment with it and you will learn

Higuy
September 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Ok ok.
And I'm having a problem with some alpha images. I applied an alpha image to a few faces and I want to add a background image over the alpha but in the material editor, Image Alpha in the Alpha Source section is greyed out. Wtf?
Recompile the bitmap with explicit alpha applied? Use Kornman guerrilla instead too.

paladin
September 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
In max, jsut use the bumpo as the opacity and itll work jsut like an alpha tested shader.

TEMPTii
September 2nd, 2009, 04:16 PM
What the hell happened to my thread title :[
And I'm using the icefields TIF for the red and blue insignia

I'm not compiling it (yet) i'm just trying to get the alpha to work in max D:

Sel
September 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM
Yes.

I made that second base you posted TEMPTii and allow me to personally tell you that if you're making forerunner structures or indeed anything, chamfer can be an extremely useful tool.

I wish I made it :p

I only did the UVing, optimizing error fixing, and a few things in the basement and back ramp that aren't visible ( :( ), but I've been doing those long enough to have a some good guesses at how it was made :p

TEMPTii
September 2nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
Theres a basement? O:

English Mobster
September 2nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
I vote for this thread to be retitled "How in Cthulhu's name are you doing this".

Also, chamfer, extrude, and inset are VERY good tools to use when making Forerunner structures.

TEMPTii
September 2nd, 2009, 05:21 PM
I know, just need to try out the chamfer tool

Higuy
September 2nd, 2009, 06:28 PM
make a box and select the 4 sides and use chamfer.
very easy way to see how it works.

TEMPTii
September 2nd, 2009, 10:29 PM
Ok, so it works with edge selection. That's a pwn tool :D I wish I knew how to use it before ._.

Hunter
September 3rd, 2009, 02:54 PM
It works with edges and verts.