PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] Concept Monster/Character

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Figured I needed a WIP thread so I don't keep whoring the Quick Crit thread.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/wip7.jpg

I'll continue to update the thread with the progress on this character.

Higuy
September 7th, 2009, 11:15 AM
Looks nice :downs:, though I think the hands could look a bit better.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Looks nice :downs:, though I think the hands could look a bit better.
I haven't even touched the arms yet :3

killer9856
September 7th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I think you should but some more muscular-ness in his chest. Maybe use a pinch tool (Im sure Zbrush would have it) to make it more like muscle and not fat.

You got a good start on the head though, Ill give you that.

SnaFuBAR
September 7th, 2009, 02:11 PM
You're really not paying attention to your reference there. Look at the cheekbone and how it cuts up, under the eye. Your neck muscles are still completely wrong.

NuggetWarmer
September 7th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Make a low poly model first. You're obviously getting nowhere by starting with the high poly.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Make a low poly model first. You're obviously getting nowhere by starting with the high poly.
uhh, you have no idea how to make a next generation character do you. :allears:

You make a base character mesh, nothing special. few hundred tris at most. Take it into zbrush and sculpt a high resolution mesh for normal maps, then retopo to create a low poly mesh so you can unwrap and texture it for the game.

NuggetWarmer
September 7th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Isn't that what I said? It looks like you just took the basic male model in zbrush and fucked him over 10 times until he looked like a hooker with rabies and AIDS.

Rabies and AIDS.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 02:42 PM
Isn't that what I said? It looks like you just took the basic male model in zbrush and fucked him over 10 times until he looked like a hooker with rabies and AIDS.

Rabies and AIDS.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/base.jpg

:woop: Smoothed version of the base

Rob Oplawar
September 7th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Nice chin.
E: Yep, I can tell you have a clear conception of the general three-dimensional shape of that character. That low poly model has near-perfect proportions. Keep using it.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 05:05 PM
Nice chin.
E: Yep, I can tell you have a clear conception of the general three-dimensional shape of that character. That low poly model has near-perfect proportions. Keep using it.
I can't tell if that was sarcasm or not. :raise:

Hunter
September 7th, 2009, 05:07 PM
The mouth needs more muscle work to make it look stronger like it does in the reference. His eyes sockets also need to be smaller to make him look angrier. Lol.

Ki11a_FTW
September 7th, 2009, 05:27 PM
It looks a little too low poly imo

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
It looks a little too low poly imo
I work from low poly up. Get the proportions and general shapes right. Then I start detailing the skin.

SnaFuBAR
September 7th, 2009, 05:56 PM

you do realize you should be modeling parts in low poly, like the opening of the mouth, the brow, etc, right? a normal map isn't going to do what you're thinking it will.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
you do realize you should be modeling parts in low poly, like the opening of the mouth, the brow, etc, right? a normal map isn't going to do what you're thinking it will.
That is just the base mesh. Not for the normal map :), just so I have 3d geometry to work with in zbrush. I could have built the base out of zspheres but I wasn't really in the mood. I'll make the low poly later by retopologizing the sculpt.

Heathen
September 7th, 2009, 06:10 PM

Looks like Captain Quark with a cameltoe.
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/ratchet/images/c/cb/Qwark2.png

Horns
September 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Looks like Captain Quark with a cameltoe.

Damn, must spread rep.

Disaster
September 7th, 2009, 07:01 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/wip10.jpg

Hunter
September 7th, 2009, 07:36 PM
Looks a lot better now. Work on the arms a bit, give them some beefy muscles and veins.

DEElekgolo
September 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Its pelvis is pushed up way to far.

Rob Oplawar
September 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Idk, it really doesn't resemble the reference very well, imo. And if you're going for some creative license... well, I guess I'll wait until you're done before judging so harshly.

SnaFuBAR
September 7th, 2009, 10:37 PM
need to split that upper lip. looks like a duck bill.

legionaire45
September 12th, 2009, 04:41 PM
um, snip?

I couldn't help myself.

Generally, you don't go about making a character mesh that way.

First, you make a low poly base mesh that you can turbosmooth or whatever in 3ds. This model should cover all of the large details - for example, it should have a mouth, all the armor, etc. This model could probably stand on it's own but it's missing the smaller things that make high poly "next-gen" stuff look good. I think Dee posted a decent tutorial somewhere on doing this with a character model a little while ago.

Anyway, after you have your base mesh, you use Z-brush to sculpt in the smaller details that remain. Cloth texture and folds, scratches, etc. Things that would give the mesh character.

You probably know the rest from there.

Right now, this looks really...meh. You should add more things like armor, fangs, etc. that actually give your character...character...before you add all this muscle detail. You could have saved yourself a lot of time by doing that in 3ds or Maya or whatever probably.

Right now he looks like a mushy blob man with his mouth gaping open like a goldfish. His hips and upper thigh area need to be bulkier, his hands should be more claw like/less like oven mitts and his face could look a lot more menacing. That will make your work on the armor area a lot easier.

Disaster
September 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
You have your workflow a bit messed up. You don't make a solid character first. You make the boxiest shit you can ever do. As long as proportions and general shapes/ landmarks are right. In my case, I wanted to brush up on zbrush and do the proportions and general shape in zbrush. (going to do the armor and shit in zbrush as well with polycubes utilizing zbrush's subtool feature)
http://www.gamedev.net/columns/events/gdc2006/article.asp?id=659

And Yes, I know the workflow.

Theres a reason why its a WIP :)

The character so far is only about 1 hour of total sculpting time alltogether. I have other things to do than sculpt all day. This is just something in my spare time.

I'm not done. Pointing out that the teeth and armor are missing is pointless. I will get those done. The mesh is blobby because I haven't started doing the fine details. I'm just trying to get the general shape of things nailed down. You don't just take it into zbrush and then churn out an amazing model. It takes time to refine and get that shit right.

Limited
September 12th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Wow, thats priceless legionnaire :lmao: meet the cock gobbler

Rob Oplawar
September 12th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I want to know what legionaire's post said before lag edited it. :(

teh lag
September 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
it contained dick

Rob Oplawar
September 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
he showed me. Now I wish I hadn't asked.

Cagerrin
September 12th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought after seeing the mouth shape/size.

legionaire45
September 13th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who had that thought after seeing the mouth shape/size.
You're a pervert.

@Disaster: This is what I was referring to before I was so rudely interrupted. (http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm)

Note that the character that he/she uses to generate the smoothed mesh in 3ds has a lot more structure and detail to it then what you used, particularly in the face. You could probably have put some of your musculature/facial detail into that smoothed-model-generation-mesh and your zbrush result would look a bit better. Right now the mouth looks like clay that has been pushed in with a pencil eraser or something. It doesn't look like a jaw, it looks like a crater.

That, the eye-bone-loop area could probably be more angular as well. The mandible itself looks a bit wide as well now that I'm not looking at it with a distraction in the way.

Disaster
September 13th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Ben Boltons workflow is a little outdated there. And it doesn't really matter how you get your high poly done. As long as its done before the final low poly.

NuggetWarmer
September 13th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I don't get why you couldn't do either way.

n00ber
September 24th, 2009, 01:27 PM
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii256/echo216/wip10.jpg

it looks like a frog mouth btw. make it look more demon-ish, right now it looks like a ripped manfrog.