PDA

View Full Version : Egde Error in Tool

teaversa
September 25th, 2009, 10:15 AM
I keep getting these errors in tool and i can't fix it.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2337/errorzs.jpg

I uploaded my .max file from 3ds max and the .wrl file that tool made here:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IKTUBM2L

I was hoping some would could take a look at them and help figure out what edges are missing??? I've tried fixing it but i get the same error everytime.

(this is my first time trying to make a map)

Rob Oplawar
September 25th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Try using max's STL check modifier- but note, that won't catch all the errors. Or, go to editable poly (convert your bsp to poly if necessary) and go to I think it's border or boundary select mode, and select all.
Also, look for two-sided surfaces you may be using (has the % symbol in the material name, I think) and make sure all their edges connect to flat geometry, ie,
cannot have vertical two-sided surface connecting to horizontal one-sided surface like this:
_|
it must be like this:
_|_
And you can't have free-standing two-sided surfaces; if any edge is exposed, if it's collideable, it is open, regardless of its surface type.

I doubt anybody's gonna download your bsp and fix it for you; if you want to make a map, you're going to have to track down and fix errors on your own, although we're happy to give advice on how to do so.

teaversa
September 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Yea, i though no one would do it for me, but i figured i might as well throw them in there for the hell of it...

thanks for the advice though, I'll definitely try your suggestions and see if anything helps.

EDIT: So the STL check modifier is showing up that i have 16 errors, which is good cause thats how many i have in tool....I'll see if i can figure out how to fix them now.

Ok so i changed the Mat-ID and i got this:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/5016/errorsj.jpg

so i am guessing the gray areas are the ones that are causing the errors....however, im not sure how to go about fixing these open edge errors....

any help appreciated

(i know my map sucks)

sleepy1212
September 25th, 2009, 11:18 AM
when your looking at the bsp, with the wrl info youre look for two things:

vertice that meets a triangle in the middle of its edge: needs to be target welded to another vertice or the triangle needs to be tesselated so that there is a point to connect to

or, there are only two tris but in the edge they share there are 3 or more edges instead of 2. highlight those two tris and hide them, go to edge select, uncheck ignore backfacing, and drag a box where the edges would be. if it picks up an edge, delete and unhide the tris.

.Wolf™
September 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Dont use STL checker for Halo map making,fix what tool gives you.

teaversa
September 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I think I found where the errors are, as i showed in my above post, but i can't figure out how to fix it.

Rob Oplawar
September 25th, 2009, 12:11 PM
My guess is you have one of these:
http://spacebrick.net/pictures/blog_gallery/open_edges.jpg
The image on the left is the error; if you pulled down the vertex in the middle, you'd end up with a triangular hole in the mesh.
The image on the right is the fix; move the vertex in the middle to one of the vertices on the side and weld it there.

Dwood
September 25th, 2009, 01:29 PM
Select all vertices and weld at .1, see if that fixes the error.

Inferno
September 25th, 2009, 05:10 PM
You guys are silly. Those faces that are grey seem to be flipped. Look at the bottom of those faces and they should show up. Select them in edit mesh and hit the "flip" button or the "unify" button.

Rob Oplawar
September 26th, 2009, 10:12 AM
^That too. You might go to the display properties panel for the BSP (it's a button shaped like a computer screen above the modifiers list) and make sure "Backface cull" (i think that's what it is in max) is checked, so you can see at a glance which way faces are facing.

e: You may be right, but for the wrong reason, Inferno. Those faces are grey because teaversa ran STL check and set it to change the material ID on faces with errors, so those faces now have the default grey mat.

FredKrueger
September 28th, 2009, 10:57 PM
If you don't feel like trying to fix it though, you could try this tool that deehunter made. It compiles even if there are errors in the model. http://www.opencarnage.com/index.php?/topic/19830-toolio/

sleepy1212
September 29th, 2009, 12:11 AM
and then you could fall through the map...that's always fun.

i guess it doesn't matter since it's the tut map but then again how good is it to try and learn to model without learning to fix things.

learn to fix it... those are easy errors anyway.

FRain
September 29th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Actually, it makes it so you exception error after you walk over an open edge.

teaversa
September 29th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all your answers guys...I must have done something wrong while creating those faces or attaching the each of the bases, cause I just did that over again and it fixed the problem :)