PDA

View Full Version : Where the Wild Things Are

Dwood
October 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Just saw it earlier today. I thoroughly enjoyed the thing even though my family didn't seem to enjoy it very much, if at all.

Actually, I LOVED this movie. If you're looking for a movie that isn't shallow go see it.

It was quite interesting because the movie doesn't "Talk down" to kids...

I was sad at the beginning a bit too. :(

I don't think they put enough emphasis on the situation of the family: The mother being divorced and not spending much time if any at all with max, to the point where for dinner she starts to make frozen corn.

I thought it was kind of wierd when the one guy ripped the other's arm right off... I lol'ed in the next scene when he had a stick for an arm. :raise:

All in all, it's not the happiest movie you'll see. It has a TON of social commentary, and brings to light that kids get frustrated and don't know how to express their angst and anger when no one listens to them in the first place.

I say go see it.

STLRamsFan
October 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Seeing it tonight, hoping it's good. :)

Good_Apollo
October 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Didn't they scrub the original story, pretty much making it a completely different thing aside from the creatures?

I liked the book, had a message that struck home.

FreedomFighter7
October 16th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Look before you leap, don't feed the trolls. :)

Dwood
October 16th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Didn't they scrub the original story, pretty much making it a completely different thing aside from the creatures?

I liked the book, had a message that struck home.

It's definitely different than the book, but I still liked it. It's not like most other movies where it suxs just because they didn't follow the book that much.

Alwin Roth
October 16th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I'm planning to see zombie land tonight...

Damn, I'm slow.....

BUT, I am going to watch toy story 3 as soon as it hits theaters...

Sel
October 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Oh my god, I remember reading this book as a kid.

I might just go check this out.

Con
October 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I'm planning to see zombie land tonight...

Me too, lets make it a date.

BUT, I am going to watch toy story 3 as soon as it hits theaters...
Wait, what? There's a Toy Story 3? :ugh:

Anyway, I never read the book. This movie sounds interesting but I probably won't go see it.

jcap
October 16th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Wait, what? There's a Toy Story 3? :ugh:
You didn't know? They got the entire original cast back.

Higuy
October 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I remember I read this book when I was little, I want to go see it and looks pretty cool too

n00b1n8R
October 17th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Remember reading this when I was like 6 lol, might go see it vOv

You didn't know? They got the entire original cast back.
Except they took 10 years and Slinky died in 2000 <:mad:>

STLRamsFan
October 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I honestly did not like the movie... If you plan on bringing your girlfriend or your kids, go for it but other than that, you're better off renting this movie. Felt like one of those movies Walmart has in a bin for like $5.

My brother and his girlfriend actually left the movie to go see Toy Story haha.

Dwood
October 17th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I honestly did not like the movie... If you plan on bringing your girlfriend or your kids, go for it but other than that, you're better off renting this movie. Felt like one of those movies Walmart has in a bin for like $5.

My brother and his girlfriend actually left the movie to go see Toy Story haha.

Hey that was my favorite arm!!

Mass
October 17th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Hipsters stole my childhood

Seems like a pretty sad and obvious attempt to market generic crap at people through pre-existing familiarity.

PopeAK49
October 17th, 2009, 07:09 PM
Hipsters stole my childhood

Shit, you too? :raise:

Dwood
October 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Seems like a pretty sad and obvious attempt to market generic crap at people through pre-existing familiarity.

Whether or not you liked it, the movie is not generic, in any way shape or form.

legionaire45
October 17th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Want to see it if I can - probably won't be able to until it comes out on DVD though :/

Saggy
October 17th, 2009, 08:52 PM
Will probably wait until it comes out on DVD to see this. I know my family wants to go and see it in theatre, but I don't think it's worth it from what I've been hearing about it.

Heathen
October 17th, 2009, 09:02 PM
It let my friend down and she loved the book and whatever.

Dwood
October 18th, 2009, 03:15 PM
The book's like 10 pages long. >.>

Heathen
October 18th, 2009, 03:39 PM
The book's like 10 pages long. >.>

and she loved all 10?

I'm afraid I don't catch your drift.

Dwood
October 18th, 2009, 03:46 PM
and she loved all 10?

I'm afraid I don't catch your drift.

I wonder how anyone would make a movie that follows the story 100% when it's only 10 pages. :allears:

I'm just typing what I'm thinking, this isn't at anyone in particular.

Good_Apollo
October 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM
The book, although 10 pages, had a clearcut story about what kids go through when dealing with parents, especially in the case of how they vent their anger and frustration. This all seems lost in the movie, but I could be wrong.

Heathen
October 18th, 2009, 08:36 PM
I wonder how anyone would make a movie that follows the story 100% when it's only 10 pages. :allears:

I'm just typing what I'm thinking, this isn't at anyone in particular.

I didn't mean it let her down by being off of the story. I mean as much as it was hyped, and as good as the trailer looked, it was not what it seemed.

She said "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" was better. It was fucking great I must say..

blind
October 20th, 2009, 08:23 PM
bad movie.

Sanctus
October 22nd, 2009, 09:18 AM
I saw it with my girlfriend a couple days ago and was fairly dissappointed. Since it comes from a children's book and is supposed to appeal to the younger demographic, I think it was dumb for some of the characters to cuss. Hollywood ruins everything man

Sanctus
October 22nd, 2009, 09:21 AM
The book, although 10 pages, had a clearcut story about what kids go through when dealing with parents, especially in the case of how they vent their anger and frustration. This all seems lost in the movie, but I could be wrong.

Well I think it wasn't entirely lost. I noticed that the beasts reacted to various situations the same as a child would. It seemed that at one point Max noticed this and had a revelation about himself.