PDA

View Full Version : BSP Texture problem?

Arightwizard
October 21st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Hi.
OK, so, here's the scenario:
I'm getting a problem with my textures when I design maps. So I hope you can help me. Below I will post first what works when I compile maps and second, what doesn't work.

What works:
I design a map in GMax.
I select every face and change its material ID to 1.
I go into the material editor and make a new multi-material, change the number of materials to 1, and rename Mtl #1 to +sky.
I export it as a .jms and compile it.
(But then every face is sky and that would be really annoying)

What doesn't work:
I design a map in GMax.
I select the bottom faces (The ground) and change their material IDs to 2. I select every other face and change its material ID to 1.
I go into the material editor, select new multi-material, (amount of materials = 2), rename material 1 to +sky and material 2 to ground. I edit material 2, click the dots next to Diffuse, select bitmap, navigate to data\levels\mylevel\bitmaps and select ground.tif.
I export as a .jms, compile the bitmaps with "tool bitmaps levels\mylevel\bitmaps" and then try to compile the level.
The bitmaps compile fine.
The errors it gives me for the level part are as follows:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool structure levels\skybo
x skybox
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
building intermediate geometry...
EAX: 0xFFFFFFFE
EBX: 0x03160101
ECX: 0x0012E860
EDX: 0x000002CC
EDI: 0x0012E860
ESI: 0x00000000
EBP: 0x0012E738
ESP: 0x0012E728
EIP: 0x7C90E514, C3 8D A4 24 ?????
EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_files.c,#1358: full_name

Can anyone help? Thanks,
-Arightwizard

PS: Thanks also if you actually read this long post : P.

Con
October 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Are you using bluestreak exporter?

paladin
October 21st, 2009, 05:37 PM
Every face is the sky because you assigned +sky to material 1 and assigned every face material 1.

You also have to create a shader_environment for the ground.

I suggest you read through the HEK. This is all covered.

W1zard
October 21st, 2009, 05:57 PM
I don't see why this shouldn't work, but then again, gmax could differ from 3ds max.

ARE you using bluestreak? if you do, i don't see any problem. send the file over to me, and let me have a try at your JMS. (gmax file would be pointless, i use max 2010)

Second option would be making a skybox bsp, and then make a bsp which you place as scenery... lol well that would be your last resort option if you tried all but failed.

add me on xfire, sar93

Arightwizard
October 21st, 2009, 06:32 PM
I am using bluestreak. I have created shader_enviroment tags for the ground. And I don't have xfire, so I can't add you, W1zard. Paladin, I know why it would be all sky, I'm just saying that that's annoying. But as each of you said, I don't see why this wouldn't work.

W1zard, here is the download link of a .zip file I made containing data\levels\skybox:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mojumkymtyr

W1zard
October 21st, 2009, 06:43 PM
alright i just tried compiling it, and at first i got an error when i used a shader model tag for it since mtl# cannot be used in such shaders.

then i deleted those shaders so it would ask again for the shader type, and then entered shader enviroment, when i redid the command it worked flawlessly

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4ymazmgmnln

so yea, it's purely your side, compiles fine for me

Arightwizard
October 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
I don't know why it wouldn't work for me, I used shader_environment as well.
But thank you, anyway.
-Arightwizard