PDA

View Full Version : I'm in a bit of a pickle

ThePlague
October 24th, 2009, 12:34 PM
To start things off, I got Windows 7. Right now I am running build 7100, and I want to upgrade. Thing is, I want to back up all of my music first. Everything else is backed up on my 4 gig flash drive (that i got yesterday), and now I need to place my music on an external hard drive. All I have is a hard drive that has Linux on it, which can't be read or formatted using Windows 7 (so google says). I'm running on the Live cd of Ubuntu 9.04, and it shows the hard drive, but I don't know how to format it. so yeah, I need help with this.

Kalub
October 24th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Wait... what? Ubuntu should be able to mount your ntfs drives and copy and paste across without any problems.

ThePlague
October 24th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Wait... what? Ubuntu should be able to mount your ntfs drives and copy and paste across without any problems.
So you mean I should use the live cd as a mid point? And copy from my internal drive to my external drive, format, then insert the live cd and put the music back on? Interesting concept sir, may just work.

E: nvm that statement, just tried it and it said "I don't have permission".

Amit
October 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM
So you mean I should use the live cd as a mid point? And copy from my internal drive to my external drive, format, then insert the live cd and put the music back on? Interesting concept sir, may just work.

E: nvm that statement, just tried it and it said "I don't have permission".

Yeah, linux is sometimes a bitch to copy files to/from. Use have to set permissions for your user to copy the files from the linux drive to the external. I dont' remember how to do it. Well I've only done it the other way around, copying files from another HDD to the linux drive or jsut using linux to copy what's on a failed windows installation to an external HDD.

ThePlague
October 24th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I'm going to try something called Gparted, I was looking around and it seems to be a good tool. I'll post the results once i'm done.

Dwood
October 24th, 2009, 03:57 PM
http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99140

2nd post. It does not, I repeat DOES NOT preserve linux permissions settings.

ThePlague
October 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I said nothing about preserving anything from my external drive, I wanted it wiped clean and changed to NTFS so I could back up all my crap.

Which, as it turns out, the Gparted live cd works perfectly. I formatted it, changed it to NTFS, and as of now i'm uploading my music to it perfectly fine.