PDA

View Full Version : Steam Ports

paladin
October 30th, 2009, 04:29 PM
So apparently my school got too rowdy with playing steam and the people below us in the building complained. My school has now blocked the ports that allow us to connect to steam(I have no idea what that means) I was wondering if there was a way to bypass what ever they did so we could connect.

Needles
October 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
If you had admin rights on a pc you could go into control panel and allow exceptions through the windows firewall if that's all they use.

Assuming your school gives you admin rights on pcs and doesn't monitor what you do on them in any way at all =/

Warsaw
October 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Alternatively, you could boot a Linux distro off of a [large capacity] USB stick and run it in WINE...it works rather well with little to no tweaking depending on what you want to play, and you can access the Windows portion of the computer...

...unless they blocked it at the router level, in which case you are fucked.

Cortexian
October 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Most schools will block at the router level, we were able to get past it at our school using a tunneling program that connected to a server that a student was running. The server basically acted as a full web proxy and redirected all the internet activity we did on it's end. However this is only feasible if the server you're tunneling to has VERY fast connection speeds, same goes with the school connection.

paladin
October 30th, 2009, 06:25 PM
I go to a tech school, so were prolly fucked.

Kalub
October 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM
Dude, one word, tunnels.

Kornman00
October 31st, 2009, 06:51 PM
Dude, one word, tunnels.
Dude, another word: gophers

:-3

Kalub
October 31st, 2009, 08:07 PM
icwutudidthar