PDA

View Full Version : New MoBo and Processor

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
So I'm probably going to get a new Intel i7 and a MoBo to run it on! The only problem is I have no idea how to figure if will fit in my case and still be compatible with my computer.

Can you guys help me out. Here's my computer specs.

Dell XPS 410 stock except a Nvidia 8600GT 512mb, a second harddrive (sata), a netgear network card, and a PCI VIA raid card with a 3rd hard drive attatched (IDE).

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM (It's 2 gigs now these specs are a little out of date)
Hard Drive: 244 GB
Hard Drive: 80 GB
Hard Drive: 120 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor 2
Sound Card: SigmaTel Audio
Speakers/Headphones:
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:

I'm pretty terrible with hardware but I at least know that AGP and PCI are not compatible.

Wakeboy1337
November 8th, 2009, 10:49 AM
The dell case May be a problem. But since it's an XPS which an actually is a REAL computer I'm not sure if they use standard ATX or BTX layouts.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Invest 50$ and get an Antec. Trust me.

My friend just bought new parts and his case's front panel connectors were not labeled because he used an old manufacture case.

Besides AC79 is old, get the new HD connectors and for that you will need a new case.

Oh and i7, get 3 DIMMs if you have the spare money. Do not rush into things and try not to build a low budget top notch PC.

Bhamid
November 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM
You might need a PSU as well, Dell ones are famously shit.

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Ah well I have no idea what I'm doing obviously. Can you explain that in a way that I can understand. :downs:

I want to upgrade my PC with a nice new processor so I can do PS2 emulation and speed up UE3 and make lightmap calculations take a lot less time.

edit-

BTW about ram. When I upgraded from 1gb to 2gb of RAM I saw absolutely no difference in my computers performance so IDK about upgrading it again.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Alright so I'll pretend that you are a normal person just like me and don't have capitalist parents like Freelancer or Xet.

You will need:

New Mobo
CPU
RAM

those are basically the basics. Now if you want to install Windows 7 and don't have a spare S-ATA hard-drive you should also get one. Since you want an i7 (Phenom II X4 is a cheaper alternative) you should also get a decent CPU cooler. You cannot take your old RAM and will have to buy new ones. Usually you buy in pair of 2 but the i7 is one of the first CPUs to truly support 3. So I would get 3 x 2GB (they are already offered in a package of 3). A new case since DELL has them optimized for their stuff. Along with that you will need a new PSU.

So you see...basically if you buy a new Mobo other parts will have to be replaced as well (minus the hard-drive if you want to keep your old stuff).

MoBo
CPU
RAM
Case
PSU

Recommended:
new hard-drive

We need more information...like if you want to keep your old OS + hard-drive, budget etc. In this configuration I would say you should at least spend $350.

EDIT: You should at least get 4GB RAM. I just realized...you should probably go 64-bit and for that you will need a new OS.

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Why can't I use my ram. I think it's ddr2 (I'm just guessing lol) and it works fine.

And can I just buy a MoBo that will fit in this case? The case is actually pretty damn big and would fit it I hope.

edit-

I'm staying on XP. I keep vista installed as a secondary but I work on XP because I like XP.

jcap
November 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM
The Dell case is a BTX case. It opens from the right side panel and everything looks flipped from a normal ATX setup.

Just get a new ATX case.

itszutak
November 8th, 2009, 01:09 PM
The Dell case is a BTX case. It opens from the right side panel and everything looks flipped from a normal ATX setup.

Just get a new ATX case.
This.

I remember a few years back when I thought of upgrading my dell with a new CPU. Trust me, it's easier just to buy a new case and mobo and use those.

Cojafoji
November 8th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Why can't I use my ram. I think it's ddr2 (I'm just guessing lol) and it works fine.

Hey buddy, if you can scrounge a copy of aida32, or even everest, you can run down the exact specs of what you've got in terms of ram. as it stands though, anything slower than ddr2 667 might not be worth keeping if you're getting a new mobo and i7. You'll probably need a new power supply as well, with the i7 and that 8600 you might be sucking down more power than your psu can put out.

e: yeah, just scrounge a new case if you can. newegg has some pretty cheap full towers.

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 01:18 PM
So how much money are we looking at here with a new case MoBO I7 and PSU? I have about 150-200 saved up and my parents are (somewhat) willing to pay for the rest. I can also fix up some of my friends computers for extra cash.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 01:20 PM

DDR3 is the standard for those type of boards. If you want to keep XP you wouldn't want more than 4GB anyway.

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 01:21 PM
I don't see the need for more than 4gb or RAM anyways.

Ganon
November 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I don't see the need for more than 4gb or RAM anyways.

hardcore video editing

Cojafoji
November 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
So how much money are we looking at here with a new case MoBO I7 and PSU? I have about 150-200 saved up and my parents are (somewhat) willing to pay for the rest. I can also fix up some of my friends computers for extra cash.
actually dude, you'd probably be better off snagging an i5. i7 base model is like 280. add in the memory, a cheap psu, a cheap mid atx case, and a mobo, you're looking at 550-600 minimum.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 02:51 PM
Or I would recommend the Phenom II X4 for a low budget but high end CPU.

hardcore video editing

^

and besides that...your memory gets dumped to page file frequently so you don't really know how much RAM you are using unless you take a closer look. The more RAM you have the less will get dumped and the access time for RAM is faster obviously than page file.

Warsaw
November 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
actually dude, you'd probably be better off snagging an i5. i7 base model is like 280. add in the memory, a cheap psu, a cheap mid atx case, and a mobo, you're looking at 550-600 minimum.

But the Socket 1366-based i7s (the 9 series) can support triple channel memory, which aids in alleviating bandwidth-related issues. The Socket 1156-based i7s are good, but they still don't trump their older siblings. In my opinion, if you are going to end up spending some serious dough, pony up that little extra just to make the investment go further.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM
But the Socket 1366-based i7s (the 9 series) can support triple channel memory, which aids in alleviating bandwidth-related issues. The Socket 1156-based i7s are good, but they still don't trump their older siblings. In my opinion, if you are going to end up spending some serious dough, pony up that little extra just to make the investment go further.

Thing is though he wants to keep XP. More than 4GB does not make any sense.

But I agree with you...if someone would choose the i7 you would take triple channel memory as well.

Warsaw
November 8th, 2009, 04:11 PM
With the 1366 i7 he can take advantage of the more modern operating systems when he chooses to upgrade,which he will have to upgrade eventually.

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Intel - 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - 200$

Intel - 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - 289$

AMD - 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 65W Quad-Core Processor - 169$

These are the processors I'm considering right now. I prefer Intel over AMD (just old habits I guess) but I may get the AMD since it's cheaper.

Now I need to know what MoBo's will work with each processors and which cases it will fit into (will and ATX case work?) and then I need to figure out what kind of PSU I need and make sure that everything I have now (PCI cards, GFX cards, hard drives, etc) will work on the new setup.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Take this AMD...6$ more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

you will need an ATX case. I recommend Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007%2050001516&name=Antec

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Cool stuff. How is that processor 3.2ghz quad core and only 175$? Those are really good specs.

Warsaw
November 8th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Protip: gigahertz are not everything. :eng101:

It's 3.2GHz, but the 2.6GHz i7 still wipes the floor with it anyways...though it is still a good CPU.

Inferno
November 8th, 2009, 10:08 PM
How much faster would it be compared to my old processor (in the OP)?

I want to do PS2 emulation.

CrAsHOvErRide
November 8th, 2009, 11:12 PM
My guess would be roughly 4-5 times. My bro has an older Phenom X4 and it does PS2 emulation perfectly. I have the Phenom II X4 but haven't done any PS2 emulation but it's really fast. Twice as fast as my old X2 at least and it was already way faster than a single core.

I'll be gone the next few days so do not expect a response :P

Warsaw
November 8th, 2009, 11:18 PM
A hell of a lot faster than your old CPU. Hell, my CPU is faster than your CPU.

InnerGoat
November 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
How much faster would it be compared to my old processor (in the OP)?

I want to do PS2 emulation.

For PS2 emulation, the fastest you can buy. Some games will emulate fine, others just can't be run at full speed until the emulator gets refined :saddowns:

Inferno
November 9th, 2009, 03:49 PM
I think this will be perfect then!

Take this AMD...6$ more.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103674

Mobo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131402

you will need an ATX case. I recommend Antec:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007%2050001516&name=Antec

I can run most PS2 games at 50% to 75% speed so this one should be running at full speed if I get it.

:iamafag: