PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Networking.

TeeKup
December 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
So my old router has decided to be an asshole and not work the moment I obtain a wireless adapter and xbox live.

Everything is connected and appears to be in working order except for that annoying little icon telling me I have limited or no connectivity. I've done all I can...I think...but any further advice or information would be great.

I'm using a D-Link 802.11g/2.5 GHz Router, model is DI-524.

Knowing me I'm probably just being an idiot somewhere down the line.

ultama121
December 10th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Try giving your Computer/Xbox a static IP as well as a certain DNS.
I reccomend OpenDNS.

OpenDNS's DNS server is
or alternatively

E:
Static IP Tutorial: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Heathen
December 10th, 2009, 03:54 PM
that.

portforward.com helped me out

TeeKup
December 10th, 2009, 10:18 PM
I've come to the conclusion that the issue seems to be the router itself in its old age. Tomorrow I'm acquiring a newer router from my aunt, now if this one doesn't work, I've got some major thinking to do.

p0lar_bear
December 10th, 2009, 10:24 PM
Have you been able to connect to it wirelessly with any other device, or are you unable to test that?

TeeKup
December 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
I have no other device to use. I did have a wireless USB adapter but for some reason some time ago it stopped working.

TeeKup
December 11th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I have new light on the situation. My Modem/Router/PC network is now funtional, I am now able to browse the web with this router setup. My xbox however, still cannot connect.

E: Scratch that, its too unstable.

p0lar_bear
December 11th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Reset your setup to how it was before you attempted to set up the wireless adapter.

Post your computer's internal IP address.

TeeKup
December 15th, 2009, 12:09 AM
Alright the router is now working fine with my computer. It's back to being stable and happy. Yet my xbox still cannot find and internet connection.

p0lar_bear
December 15th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Is your XBox connecting to the wireless network?

If yes, is it failing to get a network address from the router?

If it's getting an address, then is it just not connecting to XBox LIVE?

TeeKup
December 15th, 2009, 02:04 AM
It's just not connecting to live. Its having issues with the DNS settings but I don't know why. I've tried looking for the installation disc for the router to see if I could just reset everything but I've had no luck.

Yesterday I stayed at a friends house and successfully connected to xbox live, he has the same router as me. With this information at hand I'm simply confused.

Matooba
December 15th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I would try flushing your dns from your computer and ipconfig/release & ipconfig/renew from cmd, then reboot. Do you have to use media center to setup xbox for net? Could be saved ip's conflicting with xbox ip. Try cleaning out the tables in the router.

TeeKup
December 16th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I just setup my new router. I now have xbox live working. Thanks to all of you for your assistance.