PDA

View Full Version : My Staple Gun is Broken.... :(

jcap
December 13th, 2009, 07:14 PM
I don't know what the hell happened to this thing. I was using it earlier today just fine stapling a wire in series. I went to do the next staple (the last one was fine, so I don't think it is jammed) and the handle had no resistance at all.

Eventually I figured out that tugging back on the handle in its "out" position would get it to latch, but after about 5 more shots that stopped working too.

The gun I have is probably more than 10 years old now, but it's identical to the things they're manufacturing today. It basically looks like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3573573 except it's from Black and Decker. I don't know what model it is.

If you can help find either someone with a similar problem, or if you can recommend me to try something, please do. I'd like to take this thing apart, but it has "C" clips around these pins that go through the device holding it together. Any tips to remove those would be a good start!

Bodzilla
December 13th, 2009, 07:18 PM
make a thread about it

jcap
December 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.arrowfastener.com/upload/manuals/079055000525_manual.pdf

Here's a manual of a nearly identical gun. From what I can see through the gap where the handle is, the inner workings look the same.

On a side note, anyone who posts anything else idiotic or irrelevant will be banned.

annihilation
December 13th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Maybe a spring broke.

jcap
December 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty sure there's only one spring in this thing (not counting the one for the handle or the loading mechanism) and it looks fine. Maybe it is stuck and it's not going down all the way or something. I really wish I could get these damn metal c clips off.

btw the clips look like this:

http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/images/products/P0010_lg.jpg

EDIT: Figured out how to take them off.

annihilation
December 13th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I would think if the spring was stuck then it would add extra tension to the handle.
The only thing I could imagine is a broken spring or maybe a chipped peice.

Bodzilla
December 14th, 2009, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure there's only one spring in this thing (not counting the one for the handle or the loading mechanism) and it looks fine. Maybe it is stuck and it's not going down all the way or something. I really wish I could get these damn metal c clips off.

btw the clips look like this:

http://www.kitesandfunthings.com/images/products/P0010_lg.jpg

EDIT: Figured out how to take them off.
As a trady who works with tools all the time, nailguns, staple guns and everything else under the sun, if you've had it for 10 years it's a good run.

Black and decker are a cheaper kind of brand anyway, It would be worth your time just buying a new one.
Things wear out overtime and unless your looking at a shitload of money to replace it you'll just be giving yourself headaches trying to fix it.

Not to mention if something fails generally the other parts follow suit.

Just downgrade your walk-in mailbox to something slightly less insane and get a new gun.

E: unless this has absolutely nothing to do with the gun and is more about opening something up and poking around inside it.

Ganon
December 14th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Black and decker are a cheaper kind of brand anyway, It would be worth your time just buying a new one.

tell that to my 28 year old B&D toaster

Bodzilla
December 14th, 2009, 12:20 AM
you want a good brand?

buy german.
Festool.

jcap
December 14th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I opened it up and the inner workings are pretty simple. There's definitely something weird with this - probably a missing rivet or something that broke off from use. The skinny piece of metal that shoots staples, I believe, is part of the problem. I noticed that the metal thing is always sticking out, when before I think it was flush. After taking it apart, I only got the handle to click back into position IF the metal thing was pressed up against a piece of wood, giving it the extra 1/8 inch it needs to reach the locking mechanism. Also, I noticed that if I shoot the gun not against any surface, the metal thing will shoot out the bottom about 1/2", getting stuck.

I took out the hammer that sits between that metal thing and the spring and noticed that it has a hole near the bottom of it. I wonder if something came out of there. Oh, by the way, it seems like it is about 50% more difficult to push down the handle now...like the spring is now under more of a compressive force. It also shoots the 9/16" staples below a 2x4's surface...which before would go only about 1/8" above the surface.

Cojafoji
December 14th, 2009, 01:52 AM
well, from what you're saying, it looks as if parts 27a, 27x, 30a, or 30x may have slipped out of place.

if you can't fit them back into place, my advice is: if you're not a stingy bastard, buy a new one. tools die, especially ones with moving parts, and staple guns are no different. though to be fair, i still have an operating drill press from 1935...

Reaper Man
December 14th, 2009, 01:55 AM
Welp, now you have an excuse to upgrade to a nail gun~

Bodzilla
December 14th, 2009, 02:20 AM
Staple guns have uses nail guns dont lol.....

CrAsHOvErRide
December 14th, 2009, 07:06 AM
you want a good brand?

buy german.
Festool.
Well "Bosch" sucks here but he have an older German drill that screams quality. Back when they actually used real thick copper wires to make the engine and not the cheap wires now that short circuit. :iamafag:

Reaper Man
December 14th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Staple guns have uses nail guns dont lol.....
Fuck that. Nail guns are superior.

SnaFuBAR
December 14th, 2009, 12:21 PM
nail guns are for uncoordinated pussies who smash their fingers when attempting to hit a nail.

zing

=sw=warlord
December 14th, 2009, 01:53 PM
nail guns are for uncoordinated pussies who smash their fingers when attempting to hit a nail.

zing
But their so good fun when firing them at planks of wood from distance, just watch out your boss isnt near by..

Bodzilla
December 14th, 2009, 02:15 PM

zing
or for people that like to actually make money by saving time!

Cortexian
December 14th, 2009, 05:39 PM
or for people that like to actually make money by saving time!
Or even for people who want superior nailing prowess. :realsmug:

=sw=warlord
December 14th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Or even for people who want superior nailing prowess. :realsmug:
You know your in trouble if you find you need to rely on a machine to help you with your nailing prowess.:v:

EX12693
December 14th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Rely? No. Increase? YES.:realsmug: