PDA

View Full Version : [TF2] TF2 HALP

English Mobster
December 20th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Well, TF2 was running on this computer just fine for a little while.
I had a bit of framerate lag, so I added these commands to the launch options:
-novid -dxlevel 81 -heapsize 781312 -refresh 60

Everything booted up fine, but whenever I actually joined a server, TF2 would crash to desktop.
I removed the launch options, but TF2 still crashed.
I reinstalled TF2, but it still crashed.

So I have vanilla TF2 with no modifications made, and it boots up 100% fine, but as soon as I create or join an actual server, I get about 10 seconds of gameplay and then a crash to desktop.
This happens with any class, on any server, including developer commentary, even though everything worked fine before.
Portal, Gmod, and Half-Life all still run FINE.

I'm running Vista on this computer.
Specs:
1526 MB RAM
Intel Pentium 2.80 GHz processor
Intel 82945G Video Card

It can run TF2 just fine, but it only recently began crashing to desktop and I have no clue what's causing it.
Halp! :gonk:

E: In further testing, I can stay as long as I want in the spawn room. As soon as I leave the spawn room on any map, I crash to desktop.

Bastinka
December 20th, 2009, 05:43 PM
This is a stupid suggestions, but have you tried installing the latest DirectX Redistributable?

Jelly
December 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
delete your "team fortress 2" folder in Steam/steamapps/<username>/. This contains your settings for TF2 and might not have been removed when you reinstalled tf2.

You can also try m0re's highFPS config (http://m0re.nocrits.com/index.php?site=files&file=8). It should put your system under minimal load and disable any objects that your system may have trouble rendering.

English Mobster
December 20th, 2009, 07:32 PM
This is a stupid suggestions, but have you tried installing the latest DirectX Redistributable?
Yes, although I'm telling it to run under an older build of DirectX so it would consume less resources.
I'll try it, Jelly, and get back to you guys.

E: Yep, Team Fortress 2 folder still there. I deleted it and I'm reinstalling again to see if it will run.
If it does, I'll slowly reintroduce everything but the heapsize command and see how well it performs.
EE: No.
What the hell.
:sadface: