PDA

View Full Version : Call of duty: Vietnam Confirmed

Pyong Kawaguchi
January 8th, 2010, 11:50 AM
CVG can confirm that Activision has pencilled in a November release for the seventh Call Of Duty - which will be set in the late 1960s, during the Vietnam War.

Following this week's rumours, a senior UK trade source today told us that the Treyarch-developed title is scheduled to arrive a full 12 months after last year's Modern Warfare 2.

They added that the game would be set during the Vietnam conflict - and takes particular influence from classic movies Apocalypse Now and Platoon.

"It's going to be November again - just as with World At War and Modern Warfare 2," they told CVG.

"Activision believes that it can own Christmas 2010, just as it has in the last two years.

"Development is on course - and Treyarch have been told the game must be ready to hit shelves before the gifting season."

Activision declined to comment when contacted by CVG.

Source: http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=230972

Pooky
January 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Wonder how Treyarch will manage to copy+paste and reskin IW's ideas this time!!

=sw=warlord
January 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
"Activision believes that it can own Christmas 2010, just as it has in the last two years.

I can almost garuntee Halo reach will have something to say about that lol.

flibitijibibo
January 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
'Nam? Really?

I can't wait to see how they Michael Bay this war.

NullZero
January 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Sounds like set in old times against the gooks :|

Inferno
January 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Hey guys I'm playing CoD:WaW. It's cool cause its like CoD4 but it doesnt have noob tubes or martydom or last stand or claymores or c4 or really high rate of fire guns like the p90.

It's all good ol fashion bolt action and single fire rifles... -----

Wait this is CoD4 except uglier and even MORE nooby.

Why the fuck is the PPSH so good it's a shitty gun IRL.

All of the bolt action rifles and single shot rifles are useless? What the hell?

Oh my god wtf bounchign betty wtffff....- ---

WTF C4 WTF

OH MY GOD FUCKING NOOB TUBE MARTYDOM FAG...11.1.1.1. 1.1. .11. 11.1 .1

-rage quit-

I vowed to never buy a another Treyarch game after WaW. They succeed to disappoint.

343guiltymc
January 8th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Been rumors flying around for long time about this now. Can't Activision actually went with it.

sdavis117
January 8th, 2010, 03:49 PM
In the first level, you walk around on patrol until you fall into a ditch filled with spikes and die.

In the second level you play as a different character, this one steps on a mine and gets his legs blown off, and goes home to find that the government has abandoned him and that he has to live on the street.

On second thought, a Vietnam based games doesn't sound like it would be fun.

Rook
January 8th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I guess the strategy really is to spit out as many call of duty games as fast as possibly at the highest price possible. The next one after Vietnam is already in development.

Heathen
January 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM
A game about a money war which we had no reason to be a part of. Cool.

t3h m00kz
January 8th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Ironically I really enjoyed COD3's multiplayer.

paladin
January 8th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Halo: Reach will win... wait that's not right

Also, Activision is making it, it will suck ass.

Spartan094
January 8th, 2010, 04:59 PM
In the first level, you walk around on patrol until you fall into a ditch filled with spikes and die.

In the second level you play as a different character, this one steps on a mine and gets his legs blown off, and goes home to find that the government has abandoned him and that he has to live on the street.

In the third level, you get taken prisoner by the kongs and get freed by rambo by some badass arrows.

In the 4th level you die by a helicopter going down.

Meh, any game after WaW depresses me for the fact of martydom and last stand and getting kill jacked and to much camping.

Advancebo
January 8th, 2010, 05:00 PM
I'd rather have, Call of Duty: Colonial War

:iamafag:

annihilation
January 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Call of Duty: Cold War

But seriously? Another COD?

Spartan094
January 8th, 2010, 05:09 PM
No wait, in this cod7, they make you play as John McCain >_>
Me and bo are making a list of possible cod games, its long.

kid908
January 8th, 2010, 05:12 PM
CoD8: We just fucking gave up on timeline and story. we're taking every weapon from past game and paste it on a disk and selling you at triple the price. You'll pay for it, we know b/c we named it Call of Duty. Half of the first map will be modern time and the other half is WWII and the next level you're in Germany and Vietnam at the same time!

t3h m00kz
January 8th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Woo Vietnam. Instead of airstrikes they've got agent orange, and instead of smoke nades they've got reefer nades, it's like a stun grenade but smokier

legionaire45
January 8th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Next, they'll start charging you $10 a month...

oh, wait. (http://kotaku.com/5405217/activision-exec-expect-additional-paid-online-modes)

Rook
January 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Next, they'll start charging you $10 a month...

oh, wait. (http://kotaku.com/5405217/activision-exec-expect-additional-paid-online-modes)
:-3

kid908
January 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'll patent breathing before Activision can, they'd charge you 60USD to breath air.

Bloodraver
January 10th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I guess the strategy really is to spit out as many call of duty games as fast as possibly at the highest price possible. The next one after Vietnam is already in development.

i find myself agreeing with this guy

Atty
January 10th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Vietnam: Michael Bay edition.

blind
January 10th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I can almost garuntee Halo reach will have something to say about that lol.
lol halo

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 05:15 AM
And people think MS are milking the Halo games :nsmug:

What next, COD8: Cold War? COD9: Desert Oh-hey-we-won-already? COD10: OEF? COD11: OIF? Then for the 12th they'll cause a war which they can later make a game based off of.

Gee, what happens if the world declares peace, guess they'll actually have to get creative won't they :allears:? What am I talking about, neither of those things will ever happen!

Good_Apollo
January 10th, 2010, 06:07 AM
So you guys are getting mad that a wargame series is making more games based of wars? (and one that they haven't covered and was a fairly major conflict?)

I smell lots of anti-Vietnam War bias in here.

Donut
January 10th, 2010, 07:20 AM
cod: colonial war sounds kind of badass actually. i wanna play as johnny tremain
cod: 1812
cod: indian conflict
cod: remember the alamo
cod: athens vs sparta

im seeing potential here

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 07:22 AM
I just smell a farmer milking Ol Betty dry

and then mixing that new milk with the old

doesn't make it good

Donut- COD: Modern Caveman and the Dinosaurs at War

Good_Apollo
January 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I just smell a farmer milking Ol Betty dry

and then mixing that new milk with the old

doesn't make it good

Donut- COD: Modern Caveman and the Dinosaurs at WarBecause clearly WW2-->Modern-->Vietnam we can start spazzing out and begin to imply they will next be moving to wars that occurred in the BC era. Try harder guys. :v:

Meh, at this point I'm just getting trolled.

PenGuin1362
January 10th, 2010, 07:56 AM

FALSE!

Even the Germans wanted to get their hands on these fuckers.

Btw, this would have been treyarch's idea more than activision. They're the ones who went to activision with the idea the first time with COD 3 and 5. Activision is only the publisher they have almost no involement with the physical development (besides making calls).

So if anything, blame treyarch for failing so bad at video games. Especially after how shitty WAW was. Did you know, a lot of the weapon textures used 512x512 texture maps? wtf is that shit. MW 1 and 2 used 1024x1024 and 2048x2048!

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Trey should use this time to actually upgrade the fucking engine.

Instead of pooping out another game that is really on the scale with a mod.

They're seriously lacking in matchmaking tech after the release of MW2's engine. Did they even launch dedi support yet?

Hell, I'd rather see them publish/fund that Modern Star Wars mod. At least that is bringing something new to the table instead of a bunch of Care Charlies and Tactical Agent Orange nukes :|

Matooba
January 10th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Call of Duty 9 "Girls Gone Wild"!
http://victorterovescan.com/img/3d/Vietnamese%20Army%20Girl%20detail.jpg

Kornman00
January 10th, 2010, 10:23 AM
I'm trying to recall a time where I ever saw an Asian with freckles...

MemoryNotFoundException

rossmum
January 10th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Wonder how Treyarch will manage to copy+paste and reskin IW's ideas this time!!
hahaha yeah. they screwed ww2 hard enough, no way they'll get vietnam even remotely close to right. i wanted more vietnam games, but fuck, i wanted games which portray it accurately.

Hey guys I'm playing CoD:WaW. It's cool cause its like CoD4 but it doesnt have noob tubes or martydom or last stand or claymores or c4 or really high rate of fire guns like the p90.

It's all good ol fashion bolt action and single fire rifles... -----

Wait this is CoD4 except uglier and even MORE nooby.
SCOPED PTRS :lolugh:

um sorry need to correct you there, it actually fucking raped and the germans captured and used them as often as possible. i know guns irl

All of the bolt action rifles and single shot rifles are useless? What the hell?
my favourite part is how the g43 seems to recoil harder than the kar98k despite the common dogfuck fact that semis recoil softer than bolt-actions, and the g43 also weighs more to add to that

I vowed to never buy a another Treyarch game after WaW. They succeed to disappoint.
i've never bought a treyarch game and i never will. fuck this noise, i'll just wait for a real vietnam game.

e/ holy fuck matooba, i'd laugh if that was from the game (obviously not); hell, the uniform is the wrong colour, she's wearing some fucked-up take on the gi helmet, the vietnamese didn't do the whole death card thing to my knowledge, and i'm also fairly sure they didn't wear dogtags on chokers, if they wore them at all. it's so wrong treyarch probably would do something like that. ughghhhggh

Pooky
January 11th, 2010, 01:23 AM
my favourite part is how the g43 seems to recoil harder than the kar98k despite the common dogfuck fact that semis recoil softer than bolt-actions, and the g43 also weighs more to add to that

ugh no, my favorite part is how the MP40 has huge damage and recoils massively, but the StG 44 is extremely weak and has no recoil at all.

Not that Modern Warfare 1 and 2 are really any better in that regard.

rossmum
January 11th, 2010, 01:24 AM
at least they play well so even i kind of ignore that shit (until some retard says something dumb based on the game's representations of something)

Pooky
January 11th, 2010, 01:28 AM
at least they play well so even i kind of ignore that shit (until some retard says something dumb based on the game's representations of something)

They play well for the most part, but I can't stand how the assault rifles in MW2 shoot straighter than laser beams even on full auto.

rossmum
January 11th, 2010, 01:33 AM
well it kinda beats most games where you can empty a mag at 20 paces and leave an outline of your target on the wall behind them, yet not hit them once

Pooky
January 11th, 2010, 01:39 AM
well it kinda beats most games where you can empty a mag at 20 paces and leave an outline of your target on the wall behind them, yet not hit them once

warning: inane and mostly offtopic rant ahead

Thing is, that's only with assault rifles, and it nearly renders all the other primary weapon classes obsolete. LMG's have greater recoil, worse hipfire, huge muzzle flash, and take longer to ADS for the single advantage of large magazines. SMG's also have greater recoil (for the most part), have weaker damage, and smaller magazines for the advantages of faster movement and ADS. Sniper rifles can compete at long range, but the assault rifles can do long range and still tear you up at point blank.

tl;dr I like Call of Duty 4 better.

TVTyrant
January 11th, 2010, 01:40 AM
Sounds almost as good as my idea for COD: WWI

OBJECTIVE 1: Dig a hole
OBJECTIVE 2: Hide in hole
OBJECTIVE 3: Die in hole

rossmum
January 11th, 2010, 01:55 AM
warning: inane and mostly offtopic rant ahead

Thing is, that's only with assault rifles, and it nearly renders all the other primary weapon classes obsolete. LMG's have greater recoil, worse hipfire, huge muzzle flash, and take longer to ADS for the single advantage of large magazines. SMG's also have greater recoil (for the most part), have weaker damage, and smaller magazines for the advantages of faster movement and ADS. Sniper rifles can compete at long range, but the assault rifles can do long range and still tear you up at point blank.

tl;dr I like Call of Duty 4 better.
i actually found the latter of the two games better online, though it's entirely likely that the cause of this is my generally horrible ability to play twitch shooters. mw2 seems more accessible for people like me for some reason, i was doing far better on my first day than i have been after years of cod 4

NuggetWarmer
January 11th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Battlefield: Vietnam will still be my favorite. <3

Con
January 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I'd rather have, Call of Duty: Colonial War

:iamafag:
Actually, this would rock. Nobody ever does this. Throw in some hoarses and you'd be good.

rossmum
January 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
i'm still hanging out for a good falklands game, but alas other than some far-off mods for arma, little hope of it ever happening

Bhamid
January 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Actually, this would rock. Nobody ever does this. Throw in some hoarses and you'd be good.
Sounds like it will be one of those 'press button as fast as you can to hit as much as you can'.

Amit
January 11th, 2010, 03:00 PM
mw2 seems more accessible for people like me for some reason, i was doing far better on my first day than i have been after years of cod 4

The reason for that is that MW2 takes no skill to kill people. It's too easy to kill people.

Cagerrin
January 11th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Battlefield: Vietnam will still be my favorite. <3
It took 5 pages for someone to mention this? :raise:

ICEE
January 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Can't wait for call of duty: Cold war

Amit
January 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
If you think about it, no Call of Duty game ever made only included a single-faction campaign. Assuming that this game will be focused on the battles of U.S. forces, as always, the campaign might be a lacking variety. We'll see, though.

Inferno
January 11th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Maybe I was thinking of a different SMG in that game. The PPSH was still ridiculously over powered in that game though.

And I didn't even make it past level 30 or something before I quit.

Also I want a CoD game where the guns are all bolt action. Because bolt action rifles are more interesting than spray and prey.

World War 1 kind of deal. Or revolutionary ward.

PenGuin1362
January 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Assuming that this game will be focused on the battles of U.S. forces, as always, the campaign might be a lacking variety. We'll see, though.

Never figured out why people complain about how AMERICAN GAMES always focus on AMERICAN FORCES.

Pooky
January 11th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Also I want a CoD game where the guns are all bolt action. Because bolt action rifles are more interesting than spray and prey.

Play Call of Duty 2. It's not all bolt action by any means, but the bolt action rifles fucking rape in that game.

Inferno
January 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Play Call of Duty 2. It's not all bolt action by any means, but the bolt action rifles fucking rape in that game.

I remember playing that on xbox a Loooooooong time ago. Never tried the multiplayer.

I'll borrow it from mookz. :v:

Kornman00
January 11th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Never figured out why people complain about how AMERICAN GAMES always focus on AMERICAN FORCES.
Because even we get tired of listening to our own shit get flushed every now and then :nsmug:

Amit
January 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM

What I'm saying is that the game might receive less good reviews for not having the same diversity as the previous games.

Needles
January 11th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Can't wait for call of duty: Cold war

ODX
January 11th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Please please please please please let us play as the bad guys please please please please please.

Otherwise, it'll just seem like WaW with the Japanese all over again D:

rossmum
January 12th, 2010, 12:49 AM
The reason for that is that MW2 takes no skill to kill people. It's too easy to kill people.
cod4 hardly takes any skill, more like quick reflexes. the only things i perceive as 'skill' in twitchers are the way some kids can memorise damage values and shit verbatim and do the maths off the top of their head, and the way some people (btd, i wish he was still around) can fucking scope in, aim at a dude's head while he's running, blow him away, and then repeat in less than a second (i've seen him do this in cs:s, and yes, he was legit - though naturally he would get accused of wallhacks and aimbots every single game he played in with pubbies or ego-obsessed clans). basically all you're doing otherwise is pointing and shooting. if you want hard kills, start playing arma 2 with a few of the realism-improving addons that are out... kills (even hits) at more than 3-400m become very hard if you just aim and shoot.

Maybe I was thinking of a different SMG in that game. The PPSH was still ridiculously over powered in that game though.

And I didn't even make it past level 30 or something before I quit.

World War 1 kind of deal. Or revolutionary ward.
have you tried red orchestra? if you're a twitch lover you may not like it, but it's a lot slower paced in that regard. ppshs and such still rape but bolties are lord god king of the larger maps (fallen heroes, berezina, basovka, etc.) and combat in general owns. plus the atmosphere is fucking sick.

i thought iw was a british dev when they started out? dunno where i got that from though so i could be mistaken. dunno where treyarch are from but they are not legitimate call of duty developers in my eyes so fuck them

Warsaw
January 12th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I'll stick with RO for realism-based shooters.

As for CoD, I don't own a single game in the series. Not a one. Don't see any reason to start until the campaign becomes interesting to play.

PenGuin1362
January 12th, 2010, 11:31 PM
No, they've always been US based.

rossmum
January 13th, 2010, 12:29 AM
huh. dunno what gave me that impression, then. maybe the fact they actually bothered to include brits, and in the case of cod4 make them the ones who had to clean up after america's mess?

SnaFuBAR
January 13th, 2010, 12:46 AM
CoD: Border War

Amit
January 13th, 2010, 12:49 AM
CoD: Border War

Multiple scenarios where borders get fucked up?

You guys might want to copyright your ideas. This thread is a gold mine for Activision.

Pooky
January 13th, 2010, 12:56 AM
cod4 hardly takes any skill, more like quick reflexes.

The difference might not be noticeable to you, but it really is a lot easier to kill people in MW2 in any situation. Players have less health, weapons in general have less sway and recoil, and explosive weapons and attachments are abundant.

Amit
January 13th, 2010, 12:57 AM
The difference might not be noticeable to you, but it really is a lot easier to kill people in MW2 in any situation. Players have less health, weapons in general have less sway and recoil, and explosive weapons and attachments are abundant.

Yes, I forgot to address the statement made by Ross. The quote sums it up.

rossmum
January 13th, 2010, 10:40 AM
i literally only played cod4 on hardcore so i guess i missed that

Rosco
January 13th, 2010, 11:17 AM

lol, it makes the desert eagle seem more rape than recoil and wank :realsmug:

Amit
January 13th, 2010, 03:15 PM

I only play on hardcore servers. :D

Inferno
January 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
The guns in MW2 seem to have lower rates of fire and shorter clips but do shit tons more damage.

Also some of the SMG's have serious recoil problems. And the deagle is nerfed.

Good_Apollo
January 13th, 2010, 04:23 PM
The guns in MW2 seem to have lower rates of fire and shorter clips but do shit tons more damage.

Also some of the SMG's have serious recoil problems. And the deagle is nerfed.MW1 at least had drawbacks and a give or take system. MW2 is just has you carrying a shitload of rapegear with the only decision as to what looks cooler. At least they semi-took martydom out...

thehoodedsmack
January 13th, 2010, 04:40 PM
At least they semi-took martydom out...

Martyrdom was stupid, and I'm glad it's semi-gone. Martyrdom would only work properly if the game employed a constant, recoverable Last Stand type of thing. Sorta like what happens in co-op, where your team-mates can help you up when you're knocked down.

Firstly, it would open up opportunity for Medic classes in the game. Secondly, Martyrdom would be more balanced by activated whenever you're killed OR knocked down, thus presenting a con to using it.

And that's one step to fixing Modern Warfare.

t3h m00kz
January 13th, 2010, 05:32 PM
bitches plz

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu279/m00kz/cod1.png

Donut
January 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
And that's one step to fixing Modern Warfare.
next step is for the kills your killstreak rewards get to not count toward your killstreak.

thehoodedsmack
January 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
next step is for the kills your killstreak rewards get to not count toward your killstreak.

Actually, I'd suggest removing the current killstreak system, and replacing it with nothing but randomized care-package drops after each 5-kill streak. I'd also recommend it take longer for either team to capture, furthering the notion to work as a team to secure objectives.

Yup.

TVTyrant
January 13th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Damn it! I still demand COD: WWI! I'm telling you it would be awesome!

English Mobster
January 13th, 2010, 09:20 PM
@Mook:
Is... Is that Wasteland?

Inferno
January 13th, 2010, 09:22 PM
MW1 at least had drawbacks and a give or take system. MW2 is just has you carrying a shitload of rapegear with the only decision as to what looks cooler. At least they semi-took martydom out...

Yeah.

I truly wonder how that kind of shit gets past play testing.

Spartan094
January 13th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Yeah.

I truly wonder how that kind of shit gets past play testing.
And this is why you have open public beta testing, not just keep all the testing inside the studio, be whores and pay companys to suck dick to get good reviews.

Also what the fuck, if some how cod7 has a system like the care packages, god I hope they don't add it where you sprint like you have no gear on, fucking marathon, lightweight, care package, commando knifing whores. Pisses me off when I am on skidrow when it happens or rust.

And if for some reason martydom comes back in cod7 i am wasting no time in spending my money on it.

t3h m00kz
January 13th, 2010, 11:04 PM
@Mook:
Is... Is that Wasteland?

Srsly? That's COD1 dawg

rossmum
January 14th, 2010, 01:08 AM
And this is why you have open public beta testing, not just keep all the testing inside the studio, be whores and pay companys to suck dick to get good reviews.

Also what the fuck, if some how cod7 has a system like the care packages, god I hope they don't add it where you sprint like you have no gear on, fucking marathon, lightweight, care package, commando knifing whores. Pisses me off when I am on skidrow when it happens or rust.

And if for some reason martydom comes back in cod7 i am wasting no time in spending my money on it.
but then you have all the lovely issues that come with public beta testing...

millions of preteen kids with no concept of proper game design demanding dumb things, rather than whining about dumb things after buying the game
people getting bored of the game before it actually comes out
any serious issues souring players' opinion of the game, possibly hurting sales
time wasted in polishing things enough for idiots to not complain about the game being unfinished, even though that's the entire fucking point
wasting time, money and various other limited resources which could be put towards improving the final build rather than making, distributing, and updating an open beta version
of course it has its good points too, but honestly i'm not a fan of open betas. obviously it's different for games, but in my eyes betas have killed so many mods off it's just not worth the risk.

e/ 094, you sound like you're actually considering buying a treyarch-made 'call of duty' (note use of inverted commas given this is a treyarch 'game') title. are you for real?

Bodzilla
January 14th, 2010, 02:55 AM
COD:27, War on the the Na'vi and the quest for unobtanium.

Pooky
January 14th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I literally only play CoD 4 on hardcore. The difference is still there.

Good_Apollo
January 14th, 2010, 04:16 AM
@Mook:
Is... Is that Wasteland?
Yeah it's OG wasteland. God I remember having like 4 hour battles on the Archaic mod rotation servers...

Best CoD ever, United Offesive/CoD 1. :eng101:

Spartan094
January 14th, 2010, 06:01 AM

millions of preteen kids with no concept of proper game design demanding dumb things, rather than whining about dumb things after buying the game
time wasted in polishing things enough for idiots to not complain about the game being unfinished, even though that's the entire fucking point
wasting time, money and various other limited resources which could be put towards improving the final build rather than making, distributing, and updating an open beta version

of course it has its good points too, but honestly i'm not a fan of open betas. obviously it's different for games, but in my eyes betas have killed so many mods off it's just not worth the risk.

e/ 094, you sound like you're actually considering buying a treyarch-made 'call of duty' (note use of inverted commas given this is a treyarch 'game') title. are you for real?
Nononon not at all. Besides my grandparents always bought me any cod game each year since the 360 came out but I might tell them this year not to get me this one.

I might have used my words wrong on the buy thing, ugh.

t3h m00kz
January 14th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah it's OG wasteland. God I remember having like 4 hour battles on the Archaic mod rotation servers...

Best CoD ever, United Offesive/CoD 1. :eng101:

Oh wait you meant the map name?

Shit I don't know I just play the game, I don't pay attention to all the fancy letters and words

Amit
January 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Call of Duty 4 had a multiplayer Beta for consoles. Period. You can't say jack shit about people getting bored of it seeing as people were playing it right up to the second before they went to their local EB Games/Gamestop to pick up their copy of MW2.

rossmum
January 14th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Call of Duty 4 had a multiplayer Beta for consoles. Period. You can't say jack shit about people getting bored of it seeing as people were playing it right up to the second before they went to their local EB Games/Gamestop to pick up their copy of MW2.
i said it was a risk not a certainty

still i dislike public betas and i also dislike demos. if more games left both of those out and put the extra time and cash into the game itself, we'd have a lot less bitter disappointments.

Amit
January 14th, 2010, 07:46 PM

still i dislike public betas and i also dislike demos. if more games left both of those out and put the extra time and cash into the game itself, we'd have a lot less bitter disappointments.

This is what happened with MW2. They didn't put out a beta or demo for suggestions from the public. Activision and IW are telling people what they want to play and not listening to what we have to say. It's a pretty decent game, but it's far from an being one of the greatest shooters of all time. I like to try out a game before I go out and buy it blindly. However, you still have a point. Some developers can't seem to be able to balance the two.

sdavis117
January 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM

If there is no demo for the game, I am less willing to make a $60 guess on whether the game is good or not. A demo tells me what the game will be like. There have been many games given high score by reviewers that I did not buy because I did not enjoy the demo, and there have been games I have bought because I liked the demo, even though it may have gotten crap scores.

Pooky
January 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
If there is no demo for the game, I am less willing to make a $60 guess on whether the game is good or not. A demo tells me what the game will be like. There have been many games given high score by reviewers that I did not buy because I did not enjoy the demo, and there have been games I have bought because I liked the demo, even though it may have gotten crap scores.

Then there's Brutal Legend, which I made the mistake of buying because of how much I loved the demo gameplay.

Then it was an RTS. :|

Inferno
January 14th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I love and hate the CoD series.

In a good server with good players who play by the honor code it's fucking beutiful and the gameplay is actually damn good. I just played one of these servers for the past few hours. Minimal glock akimbos and not a single 1887 or ranger in sight.

I even got my MP5k red tiger unlock. :downs:

But in a server full of OP rats and scrubs with akimbo everything it's a shit game that's more unbalanced than a pistol that kills in 3 shots.

rossmum
January 14th, 2010, 11:44 PM
This is what happened with MW2. They didn't put out a beta or demo for suggestions from the public. Activision and IW are telling people what they want to play and not listening to what we have to say. It's a pretty decent game, but it's far from an being one of the greatest shooters of all time. I like to try out a game before I go out and buy it blindly. However, you still have a point. Some developers can't seem to be able to balance the two.
and yet, mw2 turned out fine (despite the absolutely disgusting amount of pathetic drama and needless console-bashing which makes me feel deeply ashamed to be a pc gamer). not perfect, but not nearly as bad as people were making out. if they'd dicked around with a demo or open beta, i could see the game being less polished, less well optimised, and probably playing a lot worse in terms of lag (of which there is virtually none).

i do this incredible thing called waiting until a few days/weeks/months later, so a) i can buy it cheaper, b) i can avoid long lines or 'sorry, we're out of stock', and c) i can find a friend who didn't do this and play it for a bit at their place, or i can find gameplay videos and reviews and decide for myself whether i want it or not. all this at no expense or bother to the developer!

t3h m00kz
January 15th, 2010, 02:16 AM

In a good server with good players who play by the honor code it's fucking beutiful and the gameplay is actually damn good. I just played one of these servers for the past few hours. Minimal glock akimbos and not a single 1887 or ranger in sight.

But in a server full of OP rats and scrubs with akimbo everything it's a shit game that's more unbalanced than a pistol that kills in 3 shots.

If I ever get the game and unlock 1887s I'm going to whore them all over you, WSTE-M style.

Bodzilla
January 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
ross it's blatantly obvious that Activision is ruthlessly milking this cash cow of everything it's got by pumping out these yearly sequels and not listening to anything the fans are asking for.

so my question is this, are you trollin because you like having a good view or do you honestly think activision are anything but exploitative "sonofabitch'es".

ODX
January 15th, 2010, 06:20 AM
If I ever get the game and unlock 1887s I'm going to whore them all over you, WSTE-M style.No you won't. They nerfed them.

Originally, they were the ass kickers from tomorrow, with range and power that really made me question: OK Infinity Ward, what the fuck were your testers doing when they played this game?

Now they mainly suck, range got sliced in half just about, power only decreased by a little, but sometimes when you shoot you still get fucked over even when the guy is right in front of you. Although, my brother tells me if you put FMJ on them they go back to cheap ass guns they were before.

rossmum
January 15th, 2010, 11:44 AM
ross it's blatantly obvious that Activision is ruthlessly milking this cash cow of everything it's got by pumping out these yearly sequels and not listening to anything the fans are asking for.

so my question is this, are you trollin because you like having a good view or do you honestly think activision are anything but exploitative "sonofabitch'es".
what

i'm not trolling and i've been saying for years now that they're milking it, where the fuck did you get that idea from

all i said is that i think open betas and demos are a waste of time and money better spent on the final product

Warsaw
January 15th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Unless of course they make the demo AFTER they've finished the game, so all they really need to do is remove everything that they don't want in the demo.

Amit
January 15th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Unless of course they make the demo AFTER they've finished the game, so all they really need to do is remove everything that they don't want in the demo.

I've seen more developers do this in the past few years.

BTW, read the following article by JockyYitch. It's an interesting insight into Infinity Ward's future regarding the Call of Duty series.

Come to think of it...Infinity Ward leaving the Modern Warfare franchise may not be so far-fetched.

From a technological point of view, I do not see what else they can do with it. In this go-around, they threw everything and the kitchen sink into this perk-ridden, kill-streak-soaked, console-port, douche-fest (http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=850&Itemid=111).

The graphics are pretty much maxed out for its intended platform (the XBox) and I don't think they could shoe-horn in another gimmick into the game. IW devs took just about everything they could from the PC modding community and then added a few more items they dreamed-up, during what must have been an all-night, frog-licking contest and jammed it into the game.

There's nowhere to go.

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=852&Itemid=78

Read this: MW2: Bring out your inner-douche (http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=850&Itemid=111)

Inferno
January 15th, 2010, 11:04 PM

BTW, read the following article by JockyYitch. It's an interesting insight into Infinity Ward's future regarding the Call of Duty series.

Read this: MW2: Bring out your inner-douche (http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=850&Itemid=111)

That's nothing.

Primary: Irrelevant
Secondary: RPG-7
Equip: Gaymores
Spec. Grenade: Stun
Perk 1: Scavenger (sleight of hand on rust becuase it decreases the aim down sights time)
Perk 2: Danger Close
Perk 3: Irrelevant (I suggest ninja unless you have sleight of hand. if you use SoH then use steady aim)

Basic strategy. Rocket sniping. RPG-7 is a noob tube with no range limitations and a bigger blast. It also has a better reload time IMO. The only downside is the rocket's random spin but you learn to compensate after a while. Just watch your UAV and when you see someone in a building blast it. Also if you miss a shot and your in a pinch DON'T try and switch to your primary. Just start a reload and as soon as you see him begin to twist the rocket after putting it in the barrel hit W+Shift and as soon as the animation cancels release and right click. It makes the RPG reload half as long.

edit-

http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/50b0d6d0a86e0ceab81b3f71939e227043d22311.png
http://screenshot.xfire.com/screenshot/natural/77f49c0c466976869d170cb948ed989d4b3f2281.png

Pooky
January 15th, 2010, 11:44 PM

I agree with this post. Unfortunately the vast majority of MW2 games online right now fall into the latter category. Sick of the fucking skill-less ACR/M4/SCAR-H scrubs with noob tubes and final stand :|

That website is brilliant, nice to know that someone else out there shares my exact sentiments regarding MW2.

No you won't. They nerfed them.

Originally, they were the ass kickers from tomorrow, with range and power that really made me question: OK Infinity Ward, what the fuck were your testers doing when they played this game?

Now they mainly suck, range got sliced in half just about, power only decreased by a little, but sometimes when you shoot you still get fucked over even when the guy is right in front of you. Although, my brother tells me if you put FMJ on them they go back to cheap ass guns they were before.

Except they didn't actually nerf them. You can get all the old cheapness back and more, all you have to do is use Bling Pro and add FMJ alongside your Akimbo. :|

Amit
January 16th, 2010, 02:08 AM
That website is brilliant, nice to know that someone else out there shares my exact sentiments regarding MW2.

Yup. He's the one who made, probably the most widely used COD4 config: the Yitch series. I have to use those config on my old computer to get COD4 to play. He's Canadian too, in Toronto. I'm close, I should go visit him.

The best thing I have to say about MW2 is that it seems really well optimized for older hardware. My old computer with an X1600PRO runs MW2 without config tweaks at solid framerates, granted I have 4GB of RAM coupled with the old P4 630 CPU. COD4 can't even touch that without a config.

Inferno
January 16th, 2010, 11:27 AM
If I ever get the game and unlock 1887s I'm going to whore them all over you, WSTE-M style.

I'll just whip out my SPAS-12 with grip and FMJ. That will make you regret it.