PDA

View Full Version : [TF2] Contribute

legionaire45
January 14th, 2010, 12:41 AM
Throw some stuff into TF2 and become famous! (http://www.teamfortress.com/contribute/index.php)

DEElekgolo
January 14th, 2010, 01:22 AM
Things are gonna get crazy...

neuro
January 14th, 2010, 04:46 AM
i would contribute but then i remembered it was source.

n00b1n8R
January 14th, 2010, 05:13 AM
i would contribute but then i remembered it was source, a popular engine unlike UT3.
FTFY :realsmug:

I'll probably have a go at whipping up some avvys in Gmod.

thehoodedsmack
January 14th, 2010, 08:37 AM
How would custom weapons work? Wouldn't that require a lot of custom animations? They're making it sound like anyone can submit stuff, and that there'll be a lot of custom stuff available, but if it's just going to be static models without reload or firing animations, then that's kinda lame. Might as well have just stuck with hats.

legionaire45
January 14th, 2010, 08:48 AM
How would custom weapons work? Wouldn't that require a lot of custom animations? They're making it sound like anyone can submit stuff, and that there'll be a lot of custom stuff available, but if it's just going to be static models without reload or firing animations, then that's kinda lame. Might as well have just stuck with hats.

My understanding is that if they like the concept of your weapon/item, they will go ahead and do all the stuff required to get it into the game for you, including animations. You submit a reference model (probably pre-rigged, although it isn't particularly precise about that...), a texture, a couple of thumbnails and you're done.

In terms of the actual implementation, they'll probably do this by storing information about the weapon's properties, model and texture files, etc. in a script file that is automatically downloaded when you get the weapon or maybe they'll just add a batch of community stuff whenever an update comes around.

All Source engine weapons require hard coding in C++ and unless they drastically change/changed that with an update you wouldn't be able to add new functionality into the game without adding some code in TF2's client and server DLLs. You can have reskinned weapons with minimal/no changes to the C++ code or maybe even have tweaks of weapons with different amounts of ammo, magazine size, reload speed, etc. without touching the code, but anything new would require valve to code it in.

I already have an idea for some sniper stuff :3

thehoodedsmack
January 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Well, I'm not sure if or how the process is done currently, but maybe this'll make it easier for people to make their own weapons for custom servers.

Sever
January 14th, 2010, 03:27 PM
I'm sure as hell not going to make anything, but I do know that the Heavy's Sandvich, when equipped, should also display a napkin tucked in his shirt (bib-like), and the Demoman needs a golf club and caddy bag, not a fucking sword and shield.

Yoko
January 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Oh look Valve's TF2 department is lazy again so they're gonna use community ideas and material :smithfrog:

I thought about making a few avatars, but I know everyone will be making them since it's the easiest to make/takes least time.