PDA

View Full Version : Backup Solutions

TheGhost
January 17th, 2010, 12:06 AM
As I become ever-more paranoid about my datas, I have been looking at various backup solutions. Right now I just occasionally move my data around to a few odd places, but this is hardly a good solution.

What do you guys do? Has anyone used any online backup services? I am quite interested in cloud backup solutions as it would require no additional hardware from me (I tend to move around a lot between school, home, work, etc), no maintenance or setup, etc.

jcap
January 17th, 2010, 12:22 AM
If you want to keep your most important documents safe, you could probably use some free online backup storage. There's a few out there now that give you up to 5 GB free.

If you're not too worried about losing all your data to a fire, you could invest in a RAID 1 array PLUS another drive for automatic weekly differential backups of the RAID volume.

If you don't want RAID, you could get a NAS unit and a gigabit switch for your network, like I'm setting up. Data isn't protected up to the second, but at least you have a good recovery point if you run daily or weekly backups to the NAS unit. Heck, you could probably even use the Acronis continuous backup feature if you want your data to be checked for changes every 5 minutes.

The biggest things I have against online backup services don't really reside with the service. The problems are with your own Internet connection. You can only backup as fast as your upload. Additionally, you can't do full system backups unless you plan on waiting ages. Online services are only meant for documents and pictures.

I would sign up for Dropbox or another service to sync my documents across all computers, all while still "backing up" in a cloud. Then, decide between either RAID or NAS, so your full system state is protected.

Cojafoji
January 17th, 2010, 01:32 AM
go for a raid, but NEVER depend on any one hard drive. i had an NAS go down on me the other day... 640gb of data. i mean i have the original copies, but just imagine what would have happened if both had gone down: coja would be in a mental institution.

legionaire45
January 17th, 2010, 02:27 AM
I'd recommend an NAS with RAID 1 or, if you have the cash for 4 drives, RAID 10. Along with that, you'll want to do backups of the most critical data onto DVD or Blu-Ray weekly.

Additionally, there are online services that offer a lot of space for relatively affordable rates, although having your own setup would probably be cheaper in the long run.

Kornman00
January 17th, 2010, 06:42 AM
As I become ever-more paranoid about my datas
attn: data is already plural

just memorize the bits on your hdd like I do vOv

TheGhost
January 17th, 2010, 10:11 AM
I know data is already plural, it was intentional :p

I already have a Drobo (http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php), but it's kinda big and slow. It's a pain to move around and the only "backups" I do are periodically moving all of my files over to it to archive them, not a great way to do backups. Mind you, one of the drives failed in the device and I replaced it with a new one and everything it still there, so it's good to know it actually works.

The Drobo is too big and slow to always have up and connected to my laptop, which is why I take the approach I do.

Oh I should also mention I'm really only looking to backup Documents and Pictures.

Jelly
January 18th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I've been using mozy (http://mozy.com/) for the past 6 months to passively back up my files; when I leave the computer alone for 20 minutes it starts a backup. Automatic options are available too, but I don't change the files often enough to warrant it.

It was the only one I could think of off the top of my head when I started using it, so there are probably better options available, but it seems to have had a neglegible effect on my computer (apart from when it floods my upload).

Also its 2GB service is free.

legionaire45
January 18th, 2010, 02:00 PM
You could always connect your Drobo up to your desktop and set it up as a networked drive. That won't speed anything up but it should still be fast enough for backing up documents and pictures.

If you need something that will work when you're at work or something you could always hook the Drobo up to a computer and basically have it act like an ftp server. I've never set anything like that up, but it should be doable.

Dwood
January 18th, 2010, 09:26 PM
I dont like the idea of putting my data in the hands of others, I am against the Idea of data storage clouds. :tinfoil:

Phopojijo
January 18th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I have many methods of backup... I usually use an esata dock (though my motherboard's esata isn't too nice with Windows 7 when I set it up... so I currently have it attached via internal sata... just with a fairly long cable hanging out the back of my PC).

So I backup everything to an external drive constantly -- for my emails and documents and such -- I use dropbox.

paladin
January 19th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Many, many, many... I mean alot... of floppy disks.

http://rlv.zcache.com/floppy_disks_are_gay_poster-p228844405797042589t5ta_400.jpg

Kornman00
January 19th, 2010, 12:30 AM
Many, many, many... I mean alot... of floppy disks
shit, I remember using them as late as 2004 :smith:

and look here...in 2010, I'll be moving on to fucking blu-ray :ohdear:

jcap
January 19th, 2010, 12:33 AM
The last time I had to use a floppy was in spring 2005 while installing Windows XP. Stupid retail XP doesn't (or didn't) come with SATA drivers.

Dwood
January 19th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I need a floppy drive so i can get some of my old stories back.

Rook
January 20th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I need a floppy drive so i can get some of my old stories back.

e (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816096)

p0lar_bear
January 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
Just need a place to put pictures and docs?

Have you tried Windows Live Mesh (https://www.mesh.com/welcome/default.aspx)?